Interview Series - BAEKHYUN

Our Short Conversations

New project that I have started. Tell me who do you want me to 'interview' next, and on what topic! Enjoy! Xxx

 

An Interview With Baekhyun. 

A few weeks ago I sat down with none other than EXO’s Baekhyun for an honest, uncensored, and raw interview. When I got to the studio where he was shooting the photos for our pictorial, the 25 year old idol was being his usual positive, cheerful self. I was drawn towards his beautiful personality, and after introducing each other and making small talk, we were finally set to start the interview. 

 

{}

 

First of all, I want to make sure that you know that I am a HUGE fan. I adore EXO, so it’s really an honor to be interviewing you today.

 

Baekhyun: Ah, thank you! (Smile) Thank you for being an EXO-L!

 

Of course!— Anyways, how are you feeling today?

 

B: I’m excited! I’ve been doing solo photoshoots for a little while now, so now it doesn't feel as weird.

 

It must have been very different from having all your eight members around you! When was your first solo activity?

 

B: I think it was around two years ago. It was a photoshoot for a campaign of clothing with f(x)’s Krystal.

 

Oh, yes, the campaign about recycling! I remember that one. You must be an expert now!

 

B: Aye, not really! I try! (Laugh)

 

I saw you, when I came in! I was impressed! — It has been five years since EXO’s debut! Congratulations!

 

B: Ah, thank you! Congratulations, congratulations {Singing and dancing}!

 

How did you celebrate it with your members?

 

B: We did a V-live with our fans! It was cute, we did the countdown together! But you said you were a fan, so you should have known!

 

Unfortunately I was working during that, and I still didn’t get to catch up with it!

 

B: Ah! Then, you’re excused! (Smile)

 

His manager asked for a five minutes break because he needed to speak to him, so we had to stop for a bit. Baekhyun rushed back as soon as he was done, looking apologetic.

 

B: I’m so sorry!

 

It’s fine! We were talking about your members. How is EXO doing?

 

B: We’re all good! We’re on a short break at the moment, so most of the members are back home. It’s nice to see all of them resting!

 

How did they react when they heard that you were working with ONTIME Mag today?

 

Junmyeon {Suho} Hyung was wondering why I had to work during our break. He is very protective of us, that old Hyung! (Laugh)

 

That is sweet! It’s nice of him to care about you guys so much! — You guys have gone through a lot during these five years, but it seems like it got all of you closer together.

 

B: True. It really did.

 

How was it, dealing with all of that, in the midst of the medias content interest in your lives?

 

B: I mean, it’s normal for people to want to know what happens behind the scenes, or what we really feel about some situations, but it’s not always easy to come forward and talk about it. First, because some were very hurtful situations, and we really wanted to regroup and be together first, to be each other’s support systems. It brought us all closer together, because apart from the nine of us, no one knew what we were really going through, or what was going in our minds.

 

Exactly. I get that the fans want to know what’s happening behind the scenes because you guys are public figures, but because of that some tend to forget that you’re only human beings, and there are some things that you just don’t wish to address. It doesn't make you liars, or hypocrites, you just chose what to share or not.

 

B: Totally! We love our fans so much, and the most important thing is that they know it. We’re there for them as much they are for us! If you love us unconditionally, we love you back the same!

 

Makes sense — Baekhyun-ssi, you're now a superstar. You’ve received so much love for your latest role in Scarlet Heart Ryeo! How does that feel?

 

B: Ah, I’m no superstar! (Laugh) It’s such a weird sensation! Usually when I go somewhere with my members and we get complimented, it’s because of EXO, and it’s the love of our fans. I have a huge pride in our songs, and I believe that all of my members are talented and loved, that’s why when I first started seeing comments saying that my acting was good, I was really happy! It wasn't about my voice, my group, our songs, it was about my acting! That was cool!

 

We LOVED your character! We’re the Wang Eun’s fanclub, here at ONTIME M! Every time we came to work after watching an episode, we would speak about how good your acting was. It was very good, for a beginner! I know that there was EXO Nextdoor, but I feel like this project was the real beginning.

 

B: I totally agree! EXO Next-door was a chance for me to gain some experience in acting, with the help of my more experienced members, but it was still a project with the members. We’re so close that it didn't even feel like working!

 

Plus, you were all still playing yourselves.

 

B: Exactly! It was a learning experience as important as any other, but SHR was the beginning of this new path, for me.

 

Did your more experienced members give you some tips to help you for your first drama?

 

B: They did! The two who helped me the most are Kyungsoo {D.O} and Chanyeol, but Lay Hyung used to call me every week to see how it was going, and since he did a lot of historical dramas in China, he helped me with a few tips too. They were all very supportive.

 

You were literally adored by the cast of SHR! Lee Joongi, Kang Haneul, Hong Jonghyun, all three of them couldn't stop complimenting you as an actor, but as a person too, when I interviewed them a few weeks after the drama ended.

 

B: (Laugh) Ah, these Hyungs! They are so nice! We all got along really well during the drama! Jisoo, Joohyuk, the girls, we were all like a family! We still contact each other often, and even though I am usually too busy to meet up with them, we’re always in touch! I love my SHR family! (Laugh)

 

Talking about love, since SHR finished late last year, you’ve came forward with the revelation of your own relationship with co-star, Z.Hera. How did that happen?

 

B: (Laugh) What, the relationship, or the revelation? (Laugh)

 

Both!

 

B: Ah… Well, I was just very genuine about it, with my company, and I explained why I didn’t want to hide it. I didn't want to feel like I was doing something wrong, because I didn't think I was. So I just asked them to help me reveal it at the right time.

 

Wow. Were they supportive of that decision?

 

B: They were reticent at first, of course, but I really wanted to do it, so I convinced them.

 

Lee Joongi told us that Kang Haneul and him helped you two get close! How did it happen?

 

B: (Laugh) Well, she was the one I was spending the most time with anyway, because of our characters storyline, so it naturally came to be like that. They gave us support, and they reassured us, saying that there was nothing wrong with it. I’m thankful to them.

 

This is so cute! — We know Hera as the cool ‘actressdol’, but what is Hera the girlfriend like?

 

B: She {Hera} is pretty much the girl version of me. She is very cheerful, and she lives by the day. She wants to enjoy her life, just like me, and that’s what brought us together.

 

You guys seem to be getting along pretty well, and you never miss an occasion to share a photo of her, on your SNS.

 

B: I love her personality. She is very positive and cool, so I want people to know that side of her.

 

Sometimes, aren't you afraid of her getting hate because of your relatively public relationship?

 

B: We’ve talked about that, and as long as she knows where we stand, I dont think she minds the hate comments. There’s always going to be those anyways.

 

True. We’ve seen you guys go around the city, on dates, a lot. You seem to be very open about your relationship.

 

B: Because I know what it implies to date a male idol, seeing my friends go through that, I try to make my possible to show her that my fans, and the people that truly love me, love her too. That’s why I don't want to hide our relationship. I want to show people how happy she makes me.

 

He was sitting right in front of me when he spoke, and there was no sign of arrogance in his words. He was just stating his truth. The way he spoke of the relationship made me understand how much of a connection both of them have, with each other.

 

The two of you are often photographed wearing matching clothes or colors. Sometimes even during your dates. Is it something that you plan?

 

B: We’ve honestly never bought couple items. Every time we wear the same colors or the same clothes, it is purely coincidental. There’s only so many colors in the world, anyway! (Laugh). Except when she borrows my stuff, of course (Laugh). Recently she borrowed my favorite leather jacket, and I am still trying to get that one back (Laugh).

 

How long have you been together?

 

B: Almost eight months now.

 

Wow, already! Are you happy?

 

He nodded his head before laughing shyly.

 

Do you know that your fans dubbed you as BaekHera?

 

B: I know! They're cute! Thank you for the name!

 

What did the members say when you told them? Did they meet her already?

 

B: My members were kind of expecting it, I feel like. They all monitored the drama, and told me how good we looked together, so they weren't really surprised when I told them. And yes, all of them met her! The nine of us had dinner with her, twice already.

 

A dinner with EXO! She is a lucky girl! — Your birthday is coming up soon! In fact, this interview will be out on your birthday!

 

B: Oh, really? That’s great!

 

Do you have any plans?

 

B: Probably going to celebrate it with my members. We’re going to be quite busy around that time, so I think that’s what we’re going to do! And I’m going to host another Kyoong party with our fans, if I can!

 

That’s really nice! — Well, we’ve reached the end of our interview. It was so refreshing to talk with you today! Thank you for being so honest with us!

 

B: Thank you for inviting me! I’ll be waiting for the article!

 

Thank you! EXO, fighting! BaekHera, fighting!

 

B: ONTIME Mag, fighting!

 

 

 

Happy Birthday EXO’s Baekhyun!