CHAPTER 5: Singing Emotions pt. 1

The Jewel That Can't be Stolen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

They were parked on an open space in the vicinity of the playground complex where trees conveniently hide them from where they were spying on Seungkwan converse with Vernon. Mingyu nervously tapped his thumb on the steering wheel. Sorry, Seungkwan… he internally thought as he nibbles at his lower lip. Unfortunately, Seungkwan’s mother caught on to something suspicious about her son’s behavior even before they magically travelled to Seoul.

She graciously tucked her sleek long hair behind her ear adoring a pearl earring. There was questions she wanted to ask but it got lost somewhere in once she saw her son smile brightly while he chat with the boy she never met before. It was blinding, she almost choked up but she held it in. When was the last time he saw her boy smile like that? Memories from the past flood her mind. She shouldn’t have done it. Thinking it was the best for Seungkwan, she made a terrible mistake.

Seungkwan’s mother casts Mingyu a glance, it seems like his son’s familiar is waiting for her to ask or at least say something seeing as he was glancing on the rear-view mirror once in a while.

“We can go now,” her usually firm sounding voice seems weak.

Mingyu didn’t expect that, he thought she’s going to ask who that boy is and what is his relationship with Seungkwan, of course he’s going to answer something serious this time unlike with his previous answers, but she didn’t and it threw him off a little. With his quite sweaty hands on the steering wheel, he drove away.

 

 

 

Seungkwan can’t seem to catch up with time’s abnormal speed when he’s with Vernon.

After the blond boy saved the black cat on the tree, it didn’t take a while until they fall into a steady babble of talk and laughter.

They have been roaming aimlessly around the park, playing foolishly around the playground and catching up with one another. It felt like seconds. At least to Seungkwan, it did.

He peers down on his watch. 11:36PM.

“Vernon, I have to go.” Seungkwan said hesitantly. Mingyu and her mom are coming back at noon. He should be there before they do.

“Why? It’s still early.” A faintly quizzical look comes across Vernon’s face.

Vernon doesn’t want to go back and finish his papers yet. He had managed to look at Seungkwan’s wristwatch the same time the blond boy took a glance on it. It’s half an hour before noontime, he initially thought they’re gonna eat lunch together and maybe even talk more after that, they didn’t both agreed to it verbally but Vernon thought that it would be nice to be together for much longer. Seungkwan’s suddenly leaving like how Cinderella has to be home before the hands of the clock strikes twelve and he doesn’t know what to feel about that. He’s even more confused why he’s comparing Seungkwan with the fictional princess. Is it because they’re both blond?

“I didn’t ask for permission when I went out.” Seungkwan gives him a sheepish look. At that moment Seungkwan realized that he had lied to her mom which he never does.

Vernon watches as Seungkwan fiddles with his fingers, deep in his own thoughts. “Is your mom that strict?” He asks, leaning a bit closer.

“Yes!” Seungkwan exclaims as he turns to him, nodding vigorously.

“Very much so…” He went on, chuckling. “She will bite off my head.” He bares his teeth at Vernon, clacking his set of teeth together. The other boy erupts in laughter and sounded like a sweet melody to him.

“Then…” Vernon raked his hair back with his fingers. “Can I visit your house next time?”

“Vernon, I’m not sure. We’re not staying for long and…” Vernon starts looking like a dejected puppy.

“Fine.” Seungkwan gives in. “You can.”

“Yes!” Vernon almost pumped his fist in the air, he’s glad he didn’t.

“Then I’ll be going now,” Seungkwan says, standing up. Vernon nods with a hum.

“Until next time,” they said in unison, making Seungkwan giggle as they nod at each other for the last time, etching an unwavering smile to each of their faces as they part ways.

 

 

◆◆◆◆◆◆

 

 

It was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter