CHAPTER 4: Overcoming One’s Grief

The Jewel That Can't be Stolen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

'

 

 

It’s the first time he’s tolerating a cold. Just one drink of his potion can make any common illnesses go away but no, he wants this. For the first time he wants to feel the pain of being sick. He is sweating all over his body. I should at least change my clothes. He slowly opens his eyes, a tall figure enters his blurry line of sight.

“Gosh, I thought you were a burglar or something. I was thinking of throwing the lampshade at you.” Wonwoo said hoarsely and weakly sits up. He then shakes his head disapprovingly at Mingyu. “How did you come in?”

“Through the window,” Mingyu gives him a silly smile.

“I’ve brought you some meds,” he places a plastic bag on the enchanter’s messy desk which the dragon familiar will probably arrange later. I’m sick. With that single text Mingyu came in just a minute. Wonwoo feels quite sorry for Seungkwan because the tall boy isn’t even his familiar but he’s always here and today he’s even taking care of him. Slightly cold palm faintly presses against his burning forehead. He closes his eyes to the touch and leaned back to the hard wooden headboard. Wonwoo stares outside the window, the sky was murky and a thin drizzle was falling. This reminds him that he has to buy a new umbrella because he lost his previous one somewhere. “Where’s Seungkwan?”

“Don’t worry about him,” Mingyu retreats his hand and leans back. Wonwoo feels quite empty without the former’s touch. “I’m going to cook porridge, stay there.”

“Yes, please.” He said under his breathe. Mingyu left the room with silent footsteps. After a while, Wonwoo tries to stand up with the plan of changing his clothes, his legs wobbled a little then he flops back to bed. Deciding his legs are too weak to get up he closes his eyes to rest but his mind has other plans and started drifting to the very first day he met Mingyu.

 

 

“Well, hello there. Welcome,” Wonwoo brightly greeted the slightly taller stranger that rang his doorbell. The boy in front of him mutters something he can’t comprehend and he can even barely look at him straight in the eye.

“Huh? What did you say?” The sixteen year old enchanter comes closer and places his hand around his ear. “You need to speak louder. I didn’t understand a word you just said.” He says in a mocking manner then he placed his hands on his hips. The funny thing is the taller boy just crossed his arms and pouted, angry fumes coming out from his ears. How cute. Wonwoo internally chuckled. Then something clicked on his mind.

“Oh, wait I remember now. Are you Mr. Boo’s familiar? Mingyu, right? I’ll be back in a jiffy,” Wonwoo said before hurriedly disappearing behind the door.

“Here,” Wonwoo places a bottle of tonic on Mingyu’s open palms. “Just a warning though. Don’t open it. It smells pretty bad.” He scrunched up his nose and the taller boy lightly laughs. Whoa, he laughed…

“How old are you?” Wonwoo smiled at the boy. Now that he looks at him clearly he realized that he’s actually handsome and his canines make him look adorable like an oversized puppy that is much taller than him.

“Fifteen,” Mingyu said meekly and nibbles on his lower lip. Ah, he’s younger but he’s a lot taller than me? What sorcery is this?

“So you can talk,” Wonwoo puts his hand on the top of his Mingyu’s head and ruffled his hair.

“You shouldn’t be shy we’ll meet more often from now on.”

 

 

He used to be just a bashful familiar of a customer. Now he’s a friend, someone he can lean on, and maybe something more if only Wonwoo just admits it to himself. When he regains consciousness, he feels a wet towel on his forehead effectively cooling off his burning body.

“Good morning,” Wonwoo groggily watched Mingyu place a familiar wooden tray on his lap with a blank face, steam coming from the newly cooked rice soup. Wonwoo bites his lower lip. Oops.

“I can’t believe you. Did you steal this?” Mingyu judges him accusingly. “This is from Starbucks.” He clicks his tongue.

“No!” Wonwoo throws up an ‘x’ symbol with his arms. “No, wait, I can explain,” he shakes his head but stops right away when it starts throbbing. “I used to work there,” Wonwoo shuts his eyes remembering his chaotic days at the cafe and grins. “And I… I accidentally took it home.”

“Oh really?” Mingyu said nonchalantly, totally not buying the other’s absurd reasoning.

They should just move on with the tray thingy because Wonwoo doesn’t have much to explain. He was planning to give it back but they fired him before he could. He was a y barista, he hardly remembers the difference the between cappuccino and espresso but that’s another story. 

“It’s too hot. Blow it.” Mingyu gives him a face but does Wonwoo’s request anyway. He blows air to the spoonful of porridge the other shoved in front of his face. He watched as Wonwoo put the spoon he just blew in his mouth.

“It tastes meh.” Wonwoo puts out his tongue, his nose scrunched up.

“Duh, you’re sick after all,” The sick boy takes a few more sips from the rice soup.

“We’re going to Seoul to attend a ball.”

“Oh, sounds fun.” Wonwoo muses.

Mingyu leans back on his chair beside Wonwoo’s bed. “Why are you enduring your cold? Don’t you have a potion for sicknesses like this?”

“I don’t want to use any of them,” he puts the unfinished bowl of porridge on the table. “Thank you for the food.”

“Why?” His brows drew together.

“I want to experience being sick. I have never, like never, been sick.”

“Are you nuts?” Mingyu asked incredulously, he takes the bowl and was about to stand to go back to the kitchen when Wonwoo turns on his bed to face the wall and mutter something.

“Only nuts for you.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter