CHAPTER 3: Voyage

The Jewel That Can't be Stolen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

It’s a calm dewy morning. The sun is still hiding whilst the moon is riding high in the clear blue sky. It’s one of Seungkwan’s favorite phenomena; he gazed at it from the moving van. Everyone tag along to accompany Vernon to the dock to bid farewell. The ride was silent, either they were still sleepy or they’re glum because of the boy’s departure.

“Are you coming back?” Mingyu asks as he helps Vernon take out the luggage from the van.

“Yeah,” he nods. “As soon as I can.”

“Where’s Wonwoo?”

“Probably still sleeping like a log, he didn’t reply to my text.” Mingyu shrugs, taking out the last bag off the van. “Now say goodbye to Seungkwan,” The tall guy lightly pats his shoulder and pushes him towards Seungkwan.

Woozi is leaning on the van while his familiars are playing among themselves. The pink haired boy saluted at Vernon when the latter waves his hand at them while Dokyeom and Hoshi waves back in all smiles.

The blond boy is blankly staring at the passenger ship, the people are pouring inside the large vessel little by little. “Hey.” Seungkwan didn’t hear him so he smirks and giggles behind his hand; he then playfully slaps his . Seungkwan jumps with a yelp. “W-what was that for!” Seungkwan turns to look at the grinning Vernon and he thought the lime green bonnet he was wearing looks good on him. He is good looking in the first place.

“Well, you weren’t paying attention so,” Vernon shrugs.

“You should visit me in Seoul.” He adds.

Seungkwan hums in reply. “I’ll try.” He’s back at it again, staring straight ahead at the ocean.

“Are you gonna miss me?” Vernon teases, successfully getting a reaction out of the slightly smaller boy. Seungkwan suppresses a laugh.

“Of course,” Seungkwan crosses his arms over his chest and looks on the ground, sulking. “Who’s gonna help me beat the boss in Twisted Metal? I don’t think I can finish a game without you.” he pouts. “Well, you’re on your own now Mr. Player Two,” Vernon affectionately pats Seungkwan’s head. Vernon has left him a spare key so Seungkwan can continue playing the games in his console in his cottage but Seungkwan thinks it’s not really that worth playing because it won’t be that fun without Vernon. The ship suddenly horns indicating it’s about to leave. “Well, I gotta go now. Take care of yourself.” Seungkwan thinks he should be the one saying that, he could take care of himself pretty well. Vernon looks at him one last time, the smile etched on his face somehow look sad. The blond boy nods and waves his hand. “Bye-bye.”

Vernon is waving energetically at them over his head, a smile plastered on his face. The people around him are probably giving him judging looks but he couldn’t care less. Seungkwan mirrors him from the dock.

They stayed to watch the ship fade into the horizon.

Hoshi’s eyes went wide and his mouth formed a big letter o when he sees a dark figure hovering behind Vernon, he repeatedly blinks and rubs his eyes. It’s gone…? He squints hard at the lively boy waving his hand at them from the boat. It was probably just a hallucination, he hasn’t eaten breakfast yet. He feels someone elbow him. It’s Dokyeom. “Let’s go, they’re leaving already.”

 

 

 

 

“Where did you meet Vernon?” Woozi inquires out of nowhere. They’re driving home to Seungkwan’s house. The three familiars are boisterously singing along to ‘Love Battery’ blasting on the stereo. “Seungkwan gave him his first time.” Mingyu wiggles his eyebrows. Dokyeom and Hoshi oohed in unison. Woozi removes his hands on his ears. “Say what?”

“His ity? I see.” Woozi muses. “Vernon even smacked his earlier.” He smirks at Seungkwan.

“I did not.” Seungkwan looks at Woozi indignantly. “Mingyu stop saying things that will make people misunderstand!” He hits Mingyu leg, a blush spreading on his whole body from embarrassment. “Hey! I’m driving!” Mingyu complains but Seungkwan only hits him again. “Okay, okay. He gave Vernon his life energy. That is his first time.” Mingyu explained.

“Seriously?” Woozi gasps. “And you don’t even know him before?”

“I know right,” Mingyu replies from the driver’s seat.

“Well, Mr. Vernon’s quite handsome.” Hoshi commented. “I mean, I’m more—” Dokyeom hits him on the face with a neck pillow lying on the seat of the van before he could finish his sentence. I didn’t save him because of that.

“You should be careful of giving your life energy to others. It’s essential, think of yourself, too.” Woozi thoughtfully advised. I know that.

“I just felt like I had to, okay?” Seungkwan tells them the whole story of what occurred the night he met Vernon. The blond boy’s tone is serious, they listened intently. Woozi’s face pales at the mention of blood. “Do you think it’s…?”

“Mingyu thought so too.”

 

 

 

◆◆◆◆◆◆

 

 

 

“Where are you from?” Seungkwan hears a stern voice as he enters his room through the window. The lampshade opens, illuminating the dark room with a dim yellowish light. The blond boy anxiously places his hand on his chest, his heartbeat picking up its pace. He sees Mingyu, his familiar places his hands on his hips. “Well?” Seungkwan’s been acting weird since Vernon has left, Mingyu noticed. He does understand because they’ve literally spend their summer vacation together. Seungkwan probably didn’t notice but he checks on him when he hangs out on Vernon’s cottage. He seems to have a lot of fun. It’s the first time he had seen him smile and laugh like that for a very long time.

Seungkwan looks up at the ceiling, thinking of an excuse. “Uhh… I was out fishing…?”

“Seungkwan, you can’t fish.” The taller boy deadpans at him. “Anyway your mom is back. She’s already asleep so just greet her tomorrow, okay? Wake up early because she’s gonna cook breakfast for us.” Seungkwan seems to be still processing everything he just said so Mingyu walks to door and gives him a look one final time before closing the door. “G’night.”

 

 

 

“Good morning, mom.” Seungkwan groggily greeted his mom who is busy preparing their breakfast.

“Good morning, sweety. Had a good night’s sleep?” She fondly asked as she stirs the contents of the frying pan. Seungwan breathes in the smell of her mom’s cooking, nostalgia of lazy Saturday mornings filling him.

“Yeah,” Seungkwan hugs her. “Welcome back. How was Marbule?”

 

 

 

The dining table is unusually packed with the three new additions on the table. The guests had greeted Seungkwan’s mother with deep respect just like Mingyu did before. Mrs. Boo is more than happy to cook for all of them.

“By the way, there’s an upcoming ball in Seoul and we’re all invited. Remember Mr. Hong?” She looks at Seungkwan. “He used to bring gifts for you when he visits. He will be hosting this party exclusively for us, magic wielders.”

“Oh yeah, that old guy.” Seungkwan nods absentmindedly while playing with his food, not really recognizing the name that her mom mentioned. “There would be young single boys, too.” She says to Seungkwan in a hushed voice. “Mom!”

“What about you, Jihoonie? Your mom would be there too, I think.” For a moment, Dokyeom could swear he saw his master’s brow twitch at the pet name. “I’ll think about it.” Woozi smiles weakly at her, his smile not quite reaching his eyes. Seungkwan hears Hoshi beside him mutters I wanna go to Woozi, Dokyeom says me too. Then go by yourself! The pink haired boy angrily shushed at them. Seungkwan’s mom looks at them curiously. Woozi smiled the corner of his eyes crinkling and resumes eating.

“I almost forgot, Seungkwan, honey, where were you last night?”

Again, Seungkwan looks at the ceiling, thinking for another excuse. “Um, I was fishing.” He says foolishly. Realizing he said the same thing to Mingyu, he slumps on his seat. He wants to slide underneath the table and hide.

“Seungkwan you can’t fish.” Her mother pursed her lips.

Mingyu facepalms.

 

 

 

◆◆◆◆◆◆

 

 

 

“Jihoon-ah!” Seungkwan calls out from the door; he descends on the stairs and walk into the garden. He marched towards his friend, he was a little distracted at Dokyeom and Hoshi who are immersed in a fierce combat practice meanwhile their master is watching them closely.  He sits next to him on the shaded patch of bermuda grass underneath the maple t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter