Twenty-Five

Wolves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

PLEASE READ THE AUTHOR'S NOTE AFTER THE BOOK OF KNOWLEDGE

Hana


Yoongi and I rush down the halls of the hospital. My heels are dangling from my fingers as my hair, previously sleek and perfectly styled, becomes a little tousled from running. Yoongi’s tie is loose around his neck, his tuxedo is ed, and his eyes are lit up with something unrecognizable.


There are visitation stickers slapped carelessly over our chests, clashing with our formal attire, but we couldn’t care less, skidding to a stop in front of the room that was lit-up. There were voices inside, and we push inside to see two nurses and a doctor, checking the girl’s vitals. Her eyes were large and unblinking, flickering to the door to see Yoongi and me catching our breath and braced against the doorway.


She is young, maybe three years old, and her doe eyes reflected a kind of sadness that no child should have.


“Miss Byun, Mister Min, I’m glad that you came,” The nurse is nodding towards us. “She hasn’t said anything other asking for her parents, and since you two were the only ones there…”


She trails off, and Yoongi balls his hands up into fists. We collapse into chairs, watching as the doctor and nurses clear her after checking her vitals, saying that they would do testing in the morning. Soon, we are left with the child who simply blinks back at us.


“Your parents are dead,” My voice is soft as I speak first, answering her silent question that reflected in her eyes. She says nothing. There’s no grief passing over her face. There’s no tears. There’s no screaming and crying. She just sits there, head tilted slightly to the side as if somehow understanding that not everything was quite right.


“Even Daddy?” Her lips part and the innocent question makes me wince.


“Even your father,” Yoongi’s voice is shaky and his face is stricken. The impenetrable Min Yoongi was shaken? And then, things suddenly click into place. Yoongi was blaming himself when it was a complete accident. He had no control over the situation or the car accident. “You were asleep for a long time.”


“Why?” Her lashes flutter back.


My hand lands on Yoongi’s arm, and he instantly is taken aback, shaken by the skinship that I use to distract him before cutting him off from answering. “Sometimes, accidents happen. You were hurt, in the car accident, and no one is at fault."


“So Mommy and Daddy aren’t coming back?”


Yoongi just shakes his head, hands twisting, and I can see the guilt fill his eyes.


“Are you two like Mommy and Daddy?”


“What do you mean?” Yoongi’s eyebrows furrow, and I find myself agreeing. I had no idea what she meant.


“You have a ring on,” She turns slowly towards me. “And you two argue like Mommy and Daddy used to. I could hear you when I was asleep.”


The two of us instantly blanch at the implication. She could hear all of our bickering? This was one smart kid, but she was completely misunderstanding the situation.


“I’m getting married to someone else,” I say lightly, twisting the engagement ring around my finger as Yoongi protests as well.


That’s when she starts to cry, tears spilling over her cheeks and her shoulders start to shake, wailing something about her parents not being together too, and Yoongi and I just look at each other, unsure what to do or what to say.


Yoongi acts first, getting up from his chair and sitting on the bed, awkwardly patting the girl’s head in a way that’s unbelievably like him. He wouldn’t show his emotions or show that he cares unless absolutely necessary, and even then he couldn’t do it properly.


I roll my eyes, pushing myself off the seat and going to the other side of Ahyeon, wrapping my arms around her gently and letting her cry. Yoongi is murmuring something under his breath that I can’t hear, and the two of us let Ahyeon cry herself out over an hour until her gentle breathing signals she’s asleep.
 


Suga


Eventually, Ahyeon had moved on from wailing to sleeping, and I wasn’t exactly sure how. Children seemed to be somewhat of a mystery to me. I brush a few strands of her hair off her forehead, looking up from the girl to see Byun Hana softly smiling. The girl gently breathes in her slumber, nose pink from her crying. Hana uncurls her arms from the sleeping figure and brushing off her dress before standing up.


Even with messy hair, tired eyes, and tear stains on her dress, Hana looked like she could own any room that she walked into.


“Are you staying?” Her chin is tilted up, eyes somehow still exuding a trace of power in the dead of the night.


I blink back at Hana before turning towards Ahyeon. As much as I wanted to stay, there was no point. I needed a change of clothes and some sleep before coming back in the morning. “I don’t think so.”


“Why do you blame yourself for her parents’ deaths?” Her voice is dark and her eyes bore back into mine. And I can see why the world respects her. She’s straight to the point and isn’t afraid to ask ugly questions. She’s scary, in all honesty. Or at least, she would be if I wasn’t Min Yoongi.


But I don’t answer the question, eyes narrowing back at Byun Hana. “Aren’t you supposed to be angry with me right now?”


“For what?”


“Kris,” I murmur, looking away again and trying to ignore the guilt twisting in the pit of my stomach.


A few moments of silence go by, and a softer voice interrupts the thick air. “You didn’t know, did you?”


“If I knew-”


“I figured,” She doesn’t look at me as my eyes flicker to her face. There’s no anger or hurt. “You’re a ruthless businessman, Min Yoongi. But you wouldn’t have invited Kris if you knew.”


“How do you know?” I growl. The way she was talking would imply that she didn’t fear me. But her lack of fear had been made obvious since the first time we had met.


A smile flashes my way, making my heart skip a beat. “I think we might have been friends if we weren’t on opposite sides, Suga.”


And like that, she disappears through the door as heat flushes in my cheeks at the way she had said my name. She was like a storm, destroying everything she touched with some kind of natural force. Sometimes there was a quiet, sometimes there was an untamed wind, and when she left, it felt like I was fighting the flood that she left behind, trying to keep my head above the waves.


And she had no idea who she was. And that’s what made her scary.
 


Hana


I rub the makeup wipe on my fac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter