highlight - it's still beautiful

the stars in your eyes

middle school, 8th grade



"Yuan noo~" Junkai whined as Roy dragged the older towards their school, it was the end of summer vacation and they had orientation to attend so they could pick up their schedules.
Roy looked at Junkai as if it wouldn't be that bad but Junkai begged to differ. He hated everyone in that school that wasn't Roy especially the people who picked on the big-eyed airhead.
Junkai took a good look at his best friend in front of him that was still dragging him whilst holding his wrists towards the main gym. Roy looked nice today, he wore a white fluffy beanie with little bear ears, a stripped navy blue and white shirt and ripped black skinny jeans along with a simple pair of black sneakers.
He looked good. Junkai almost blushed when he checked his friend out. Junkai didn't dress well for this occasion. Roy almost picked his clothes out for him but didn't because of Junkai's protests he still dressed himself badly.
He was wearing a large grey hoodie and black skinny jeans with white adidas, his hair was unruly and earlier when he came out of the bathroom Roy looked at him with sheer disappointment.
As they walked into the gym a lot of girls waved 'hi' to Junkai or all twisted little strands of their hair while greeting him or just staring at him from afar. Junkai was dense. He didn't notice that 90% of the girls in his middle school all drooled over him and chased after him. Roy noticed this though.
So when the girls kept staring Roy glared at them, scooting closer to his best friend. Junkai's English had improved since 7th grade so now he can hold conversations with his peers without stuttering but his accent was still there. Though he was terrible at sign language.
Roy would always silently laugh, as in his shoulders visibly shaking while he grinned widely at Junkai when he tried to sign something to Roy. Roy thought it was sweet he was trying to learn for him. The younger really appreciated it but wrote to Junkai assuring him it was okay and he didnt have to.
The pair only conversed in Mandarin, never in English unless it was for homework questions. He knew his peers got annoyed when they did that, they wouldn't know what Junkai was even talking about with Roy and assumed it was something bad.
The two boys got in line to get their picture taken for their new ID cards after picking up their schedules from a booth. They both finished and waited for their names to be called on.
"Roy Wang." A monotone voice called through the speaker in the gym then continued naming off a bunch of other students to pick up their card.
Junkai nudged Roy indicating that they called his name up and Roy nodded, walking towards the podium.
Junkai waited, bored as he watched his friend in line. He sighed deeply, one of his female classmates from last year approached him. He lazily smiled at her when she greeted him, he didn't really care. He only came because Roy wanted to. Not for these other people who tried to talk to him.
Roy quickly grabbed his ID card when he noticed the girl talking to Junkai. He was by Junkai's side in seconds time. He gave a cold glare to the girl who shot the same look back. He knew this girl quite well and she learned sign language to try and make Roy help her date Junkai. Roy, being the jealous and stubborn kid he is, declined.
Roy brought his hands up and signed,
'Beat it.'
He knew she knew what he said but she didn't get the hint. She continued to try and woo Junkai by asking if she looked nice today or if he wanted to hang out with her at the nearby Mcdonald's.
Junkai merely mumbled back replies while occasionally complaining to Roy in Mandarin on how annoying this girl was. When Junkai was finally called to get his ID card he let out a breath he was holding in and told Roy he'd be right back.
Roy just smiled sweetly at him until he turned his back he glared at the girl. The girl huffed, waiting along with Roy who kept shoving her with his shoulder as she did the same.
Junkai came back with the same annoyed expression and nodded his head towards the door looking at Roy. Roy just nodded and walked besides the boy and wrapping his arm around his neck, the older doing the same.
Roy hummed in content and looked back at the fuming girl left behind to get her ID, he mouthed,
'Mine.'