oneokrock - last dance

the stars in your eyes

middle school, 7th grade



"New school, new day tomorrow Junkai!"
Junkai heard his small mother say in Chinese as she stood in the doorway of his empty room while he continued unpacking his clothes on top of his new bed.
Rewind, Junkai had arrived to America literally only 2 hours ago, he lived with his aunt back in China as both his parents worked in the United States in California with some prestigious job so they left Junkai with his aunt and uncle at age 3. Don't get him wrong, he likes them but he never felt the true warmth and love of anyone, not even his parents that birthed him. So when his aunt called him up to get ready to leave for the States in 10 minutes he freaked out.
Junkai's parents have been missing their child since their 9 years of being away from him so they decided, heck why not bring their kid over from a country miles away from here out of nowhere and make him pack last minute that would be a blast even though they still have to work constantly! Note to sarcasm there.
"Yeah." Junkai muttered back awkwardly. He only talked to his parents a few times a month ever since he was little. He wasn't very close with them but he wanted to be and so did his aunt and uncle that's why they let him go with his parents.
It was Junkai's first time in the United States and his parents spoke better English than him, he was good but he still had an accent that annoyed him while he spoke in English. He had to go here for his middle school, highschool and university years. Junkai had heard there were good schools there as well and his parents would pay for whatever college he went to, so it was another reason to come to the States.
He had his future all planned out for him.
"Aiyaa," Junkai's mother sighed, "I'm sorry we called you to come here so suddenly. We really missed you and these days we don't work as much as we used to and your aunt said it would be a good experience to come here so we arranged this before telling you, you've grown up so well."
Junkai gave his mother a half-hearted smile, she approached the 12 year old boy and pressed a kiss to his forehead,
"It's okay mama. I missed you as well don't worry I'm fine with being here for a few years. Maybe we can.."
Junkai was about to suggest if they could move back to China together after his school years were over but he decided not to say it, he knew his parents couldn't leave their jobs here. He was being selfish.
"Never mind but.. I think I'm getting a little tired. I have to get up early, new school and all." Junkai said and his mother nodded, she bid him a goodnight and he just smiled and waved.
He let out a deep sigh once she closed the door. Junkai looked around the room, boxes were stacked on top of each other, it all included new things his parents had bought him to decorate his room, he knew his parents were going to try and spoil him.
He was using the empty white guest room with a simple bed placed in the middle of it.
He stood up from his bed and looked out the window, he crossed his arms and laid them on the windowsill. He gazed at the night sky filled with stars.
Junkai admired them, knowing these stars in the Milky Way, that were billions of miles away from Earth were just as far away from each other and not as close as they seem, some had probably solar systems such as his own, some were probably lone stars in the vast space. A majority of those stars were lonely. Every lonely star's futures are planned like Junkai's own.
They would shine bright for a while even for no purpose if they didn't even have a solar system, get bigger, then sooner or later their bright flames die out.
It was then he realized he would always be alone, just like those lonely stars. Junkai frowned, he probably would never get married either. He'll die alone. Cause? Probably from overworking because he had nothing better to live for. Just like those gas giants he'd use all his potential in his work then just die out.
Suddenly Junkai saw a bright comet shoot across the sky then disappeared in a twinkle.
'A shooting star? ' He thought, he was doubtful in those thoughts that wishing on a comet would grant a wish you wanted. He was doubtful, yes, but he couldn't help but close his eyes and wish upon that comet.
I wish I wouldn't continue being lonely.
-
Junkai leaned against the car door, his arms crossed as he glanced out the window, watching water droplets slide down the shield. He didn't feel like talking or looking at his father who was currently driving him to school. He'd rather look at the rainy view.
"Big day today huh?" His father asked, Junkai momentarily looked at him and bluntly responded with,
"Yea."
He saw his father grip the wheel out of the corner of his eye. It wasn't his fault Junkai was antisocial and had nothing to talk about. What was he supposed to say? He didn't know. He zoned out.
"We're here."
Junkai looked outside to see a bunch of students walking in puddles, some running into the building because they didn't want to get wet and friends splashing each other to get each other mad.
Junkai didn't get the point of that.
"Thank you. I'll see you later," Junkai sighed, opening the door and then his umbrella. He grabbed his backpack and exited the car, waving at his dad before closing the door and walking away.
Mr. Wang looked at his son with worry while he walked away with his head down, not wanting to talk to any of the new faces.
Junkai soon bumped into someone by accident, he looked up with a straight face,
"Sorry." He spoke in English, trying not to let his accent show.
The caucasian looked Junkai up and down before snickering and walking away with his friends following behind.
Junkai let out a sigh for what seemed almost like the thousandth time. It would be hard to make friends here just as it was hard to make friends back in China.
Junkai entered the main office of the school and headed towards the desk lady. He mustered up in his best English for his schedule and stating he was a new student. The woman at the desk smiled warmly at him and handed him his ID card and schedule.
Because Junkai wasn't well with English or hell, even reading it was hard for him, he managed to find his first class, math, just in time as the first bell rang. He opened the door slowly and saw most of his new peers were already sitting in their seats chattering away. The boy looked at his teacher who smiled and brought him to the front to introduce him.
"Class listen up!" The teacher's voice boomed throughout the room making Junkai wince. Were Americans always this loud?
The class soon turned their heads to the front and all their eyes were on Junkai,
"We have a new student today." The teacher looked at Junkai expectantly for him to introduce himself.
Junkai gulped,
"H-Hello. My name is Karry Wang, my Chinese name is Junkai Wang. Uhm.. N-Nice to meet you all."
The class all clapped but Junkai could hear some of them making fun of his heavy accent the thing Junkai is already the most insecure about.
"Thank you Karry. Please sit down next to Roy." The man pointed at a seat next to the window. Bad idea, Junkai would have no idea what would be going on if he was chosen to sit next to a window. He would be busy admiring outside than to listen to lectures. It was a habit of his his teachers would be familiarized with at some point.
Junkai sat next to a boy with messy black hair who was sticking his tongue out while scribbling drawings on a piece of paper, not paying any attention to Junkai until the boy seated himself.
Roy was his name like the teacher said. The doe eyed boy looked at Junkai and smiled slightly. Junkai avoided eye contact with him and payed attention to what his teacher was saying. The boy continued to look at him.
Junkai blankly looked at him then quickly turned away with his ears turning red.
Roy looked under Junkai and continued to stupidly grin, he looked back at his paper and quickly scribbled something else and ripped off the piece then handed it to Junkai.
Junkai looked at Roy, the paper, then at the teacher who was busy explaining something Junkai had no idea about. So he took the paper and read it, surprised to find it written in Chinese characters.
'Are you Chinese as well? We share the same last name. My Chinese name's Wang Yuan, or mostly known as Roy Wang!!!!^o^ Nice to meet you!'
Junkai already knew this kid would turn out to be the most weird guy he had ever met but decided to continue passing notes with him anyways.
'Yes.' He simply replied. Roy looked at the paper and pouted at the short reply. Junkai just looked at him strangely as he made that face.
The bell soon rang only 10 minutes later and Junkai could only pack taking his time while his classmates rushed out to go talk to their friends on their way to class.
Roy stayed behind to watch Junkai pack, Junkai raised an eyebrow at the shorter boy,
"What?"
Roy held up a finger and pulled out a whiteboard from his backpack and a marker. Junkai watched, confused as the boy scribbled on the board.
He showed the board to Junkai,
'你好!'
"Hello..? Why are you writing?" Junkai asked as he slung his backpack over his shoulder. Roy was about to start writing again until the teacher walked over and placed a hand on Roy's shoulder,
"Ah, Roy here doesn't speak. He's deaf and mute. He does sign language with the others but I'm guessing he decided to use the board with you to write to you in your native tongue."
"Oh.." Junkai said. Why would Roy want to talk with Junkai though? There was nothing special about him..
"Run along you two before you're late to your next period!"
The teacher started pushing the two students out and Junkai looked down at his schedule. Roy peeked over his shoulder to see as well and he smiled, he tapped the boy on the shoulder.
"Huh?" Junkai asked, Roy beckoned him to follow him. He was showing him his next class. It was English. Junkai followed Roy to their next class and Junkai walked inside along with Roy, only a minute left to spare.
Luckily Junkai's English teacher didn't make him introduce himself and speak his broken English.
After the period was over it was their daily ten minute break and he decided to hang around Roy who was struggling to reach the granola bar he bought himself at the vending machine.
Junkai bent down and grabbed the bar with his long arm and handed it to Roy who smiled contently at him. He wrote down on his board,
'謝謝!'
"No problem.." Junkai responded, "Hey how do you know what I'm saying if you can't hear me..?"
Roy pursed his lips for a second until he pointed at his lips.
"Uhm.." Junkai shifted uncomfortably, "Listen we've only known each other for like an hour or two.."
Roy face-palmed his forehead and shook his head, he pointed to his lips again and he pointed at a sign with words on it.
"Oh you can read lips?" Junkai said and Roy grinned and nodded.
-
It was lunchtime. Junkai didn't share his science class with Roy before lunch, Roy had health instead. They hadn't discussed where to meet up so Junkai just looked around the small school for the shorter boy hoping to find him soon because Junkai took a liking to the kid and didn't want to sit alone.
As soon as Junkai was about to give up looking for the younger in the empty hallways he spotted something in the corner of his eye and heard snickering. He turned and walked back a few steps and saw a group of kids near the janitor's closet, crowding around something.. Or someone.
Junkai quickly peeked over the group of kid's shoulders and saw a boy hunched over, cornered into the door. Junkai saw one of the boys kick the boy in the shin making the boy open his mouth, about to wail but nothing came out. Junkai noticed it was Roy.
"What do you guys think you're doing!" Junkai yelled as he pushed his way through the group of boys, he looked down and Roy glanced up at him with teary eyes. Junkai frowned and picked the boy up,
"Roy.."
"Hey what the hell kid-" One of the delinquents protested but Junkai turned to look at him with a stone cold glare that made the guys all uncomfortable and feeling eerie. It was a gift really that Junkai had the ability to glare and make people go away.
The guys all ran away from Junkai in fear of his serial glare. Junkai finally sighed and looked back down at Roy who was sniffling and wiping his tears.
"Hey are you okay?" Junkai asked, Roy shook his head. He looked behind the boy and saw his whiteboard split into two.
Junkai's frown deepened,
"Your whiteboard.. Do they always do this to you."
Roy watched Junkai's lips to make out what he said and shrugged as if to say he was used to it.
"Now that I'm here they can't do that." Junkai declared as he picked up the boy's broken whiteboard, "We can be friends from this point on and I'll protect you. But first I need to get you a new whiteboard.."
Roy watched Junkai with a little twinkle in his eye.
"Hey why are you looking at me like that.." Junkai asked suspiciously. Again, Roy just shrugs, he makes a motion with his hands as if he's picking up a spoon and scooping something with it and opening his mouth.
"Oh yeah- Let's find somewhere to eat."
And so the two boys stalked off with Roy still looking at Junkai with that weird look.
-
hello i know this fic wont have many readers but i am hopeful it has at least a few tfboy fans who will support this fic :)