Can You See Me Now?

Can You See Me Now?

Words. Footsteps. Murmurs. 
She traced her fingers lightly against the wooden railing on the wall of the hallway, walking slowly -- carefully, hesitantly -- toward the bathroom. The one she normally used was under renovation, and she timidly took forward steps, fearing the exploration into unaccustomed territory. 
The voices were loud, and she pressed herself as close to the wall as possible, not wanting to run into anyone passing by the hall. 
As long as she'd remain unnoticed, she'd be fine.

 

His bladder was killing him. Mentally, Jungkook was cursing his disease for making him so thirsty. The water filled his bladder causing him to urgently attend to a bathroom. It almost felt as if he would explode if he held it in any longer. Carefully rising out of his hospital bed, he grabbed the rod that had his IV bag from a hook at the top and walked out of his room.

He was very quick when moving through the hallways in search for a bathroom. The necessity to use the bathroom was killing him just as badly as the leukemia that was in him. He watched very few nurses walk back and forth through the halls and was glad they didn't take him back to his room, for he would've ended up fighting someone... Suddenly, he felt himself run into something, or someone, having been caught off track while attempting to eye of any the nurses who might be coming to get him. He fell to the ground with a loud groan as he wondered what he ran into, for he felt embarrassed for being so weak to the point where something soft and delicate could cause him to fall so easily.

 

Maybe she was close by? Maybe she was nearing the bathroom? Skimming her fingers over the plaques beside the doors, she felt the braille, desperately reading for "bathroom" or "washroom" when --

"I'm so sorry!" she exclaimed, immediately panicking upon feeling someone else's body collide into hers. She stumbled backward, hands tightly clutching the wooden railing and cringing slightly at the loud sound resulting from someone falling onto the floor. 
"I'm so sorry!" The words fell out of once more, her wide, startled eyes staring out into nothing, hopelessly searching for the source of the sound.

 

Jungkook struggled to get up, managing to do so after using every ounce of strength he had to pick up the IV stand. He started panting, easily growing tired, but he wouldn't dare head back to his bed when he was on the verge of peeing on himself. Glancing at who he ran into, his eyes widened, taken aback by his offender: a fragile and seemingly light weight girl. As she started panicking, he reached out and placed his hand on her shoulder, trying to placate her.

"No need to apologize. It was my fault. I was in a rush to go to the bathroom and I wasn't paying attention." He smiled a little before noticing that the female was staring rather blankly. He waved his hand in front of her face. Could she see him? He leaned in a bit closer and looked into her eyes, pursing his lips from concern.

 

It was a male. She fell silent, unsure of what to say -- regardless of the gender, she was terrible with interacting with others. Terrified of her disabilities -- terrified and terribly insecure. 

Flinching at a warm touch, her eyebrows furrowed together with worry, she blinked several times -- blinking yet seeing nothing. 

"I-It's okay," she stuttered timidly, hands still clenched tightly around the wooden railing. "I.. should have been more careful. I didn't realize that you were there," she added, her lips pinching into a small frown. 
He was going to the bathroom? Perhaps, did he know if it was close by? She kept silent, too terrified to hear herself speak again.

 

It was rather quiet between them. Not many words were spoken, and it made him feel a little awkward. 

When she apologized for not being aware, he wanted to ask if she was even able to see her surroundings, but that seemed somewhat inappropriate to ask. Thus, he did not ask.

"Where are you going?" he decided to question, a hand clutching the steel IV rod.

 

Leave, one of her voices cooed at her, gently weaving its way into her mind. Just leave and go to the bathroom, it'll be okay. Leave him. You don't even know who he is.

Should she leave? Should she just go? Having no idea what she was supposed to do in the silence, she just blinked and remained still, wondering if he had left as silently as he had came -- before she had ran into him -- until he asked her where she was going.

"Um.. The bathroom as well," she responded abashedly. "This is my first time in this part of the hospital.. The bathroom I usually go to is closed."

 

Feeling as though he had made her feel awkward, he sighed softly deciding that he should probably leave -- until he heard her soft, small voice respond to his question. She was going to the bathroom.

He looked a bit down the hall and noticed that she had actually passed it just by a few feet. Glancing at her again, he nodded slightly, as if she could really see him.

"I see, would you like to come with me to the bathroom perhaps?" he asked, hoping she'd be comfortable enough to accept his offer.

 

She felt her face grow warm, unsure how she was supposed to react to someone asking her to go to the bathroom with him.. Of course, she was sure he was only trying to be helpful...

Surrendering any form of pride, she nodded, hoping she was facing him correctly. "Yes please.."

 

Jungkook smiled a little and reached out to grab the blind girl's hand. He turned her around as he walked with her towards the bathroom. "Here we are," he stated upon arrival, walking with her into the women's bathroom. Despite how creepy it might be seen by the other women in the bathroom, he didn't care. He wanted to help the girl, and it was the least he could do after running into her. Guiding her to a stall, he let go of her hand and gave her the privacy she needed, leaving quickly afterward.

Practically running to the boy's section of the bathroom, he quickly went into a stall and attended to his business, letting out a glorious hybrid sounding groan and moan as he emptied his bladder.

 

The next thing she knew was that she was being led in a mysterious direction by the hand -- fear slowly pulsing through her veins. Could he be trusted? Was she going in the right direction?! 

Her hand was still warm when he suddenly let go, and she turned around slightly, blinking in wonder at where he had gone. He was very good at immediately appearing and disappearing. 

Feeling her way around her surroundings, her hand came in contact with the metal hinge of the bathroom door, then the roll of toilet paper. Carefully allowing herself to complete her business, she walked out afterward and managed to reach the sink, washing her hands then leaving. 

But..
Shoot.

In which direction was her room?

 

He was feeling very relieved that his bladder was emptied. Drying off his hands with a paper towel, he emerged from the men's restroom, only to encounter the blind girl from earlier glancing around in confusion. Upon approaching her -- this time rather more comfortably -- he tapped her shoulder. "Are you lost?"

 

"I'm trying to get back to my room.. It's somewhere.." She paused, hesitating. "Are you.. the same person from before?" she asked, turning her head in the direction of the voice as her eyebrows furrowed again with worry. The same male -- hopefully it was -- always seemed to find her whenever she was lost... She wondered how long he'd been at the hospital, and why she had never ran into him earlier.

 

Jungkook chuckled softly and nodded at her question as if she could see him. "Yes, I am. At least.. I hope I am," he joked playfully, slightly rubbing the nape of his neck. "Could I help you back to your room? Do you know what number it is?" He smiled and reached out to gently grab her hand -- which he remembered, from earlier, was so soft to the touch.

 

The faintest of smiles flitted across her face at his joke, and she let out a soft laugh, moving her fingers to hold his hand in return as she now had begun to feel comfortable in his presence. 
"It's.. in the psych ward.. Room 1004 -- but I promise I'm not crazy," she added rapidly, not wanting to give him a bad impression of herself. "I'm blind.. which is why." He probably knew. She guessed it was obvious to identify a blind person? She'd never been able to identify anyone in her life by visuals, so she wouldn't know.

 

Seeing her smile was cute. It made him grin widely at the fact that he was the cause behind her bright smile. He began to walk with her in the hall as he took a mental note of her room number and where it was. Her quick add-on caused him to chuckle softly as he looked at her with a gentle gaze. "Even if you were, I wouldn't judge you. You're at the hospital for the same reason I'm here, kind of I think." Quickly stopping himself from talking any further -- for he felt as if he was sticking his foot into his mouth -- he continued to walk slowly and carefully with her as he looked at the rooms they were passing by.

 

Her grasp around his hand was rather tight -- he was the only lifeline she had at the moment. Unsure of what to think -- or how to even think -- as she was being led in some mysterious direction to her room, she walked closely beside him, not wanting to run into any other mysterious passerby. 

"I hope you don't mind me asking," she began slowly, trying to fill in the silence between them. "But how long have you been at the hospital?"

 

Jungkook could feel her tight hold around his hand, and though it was causing him slight pain and discomfort, he refrained from telling her as they walked together. He didn't want her feeling bad about having a tight grasp.

And he didn't want her to let go.

For when would he ever have the opportunity to hold another's hand again when his days were growing short so rapidly?

He stopped thinking about it upon feeling the hot tears beginning to form in his eyes. She questioned his stay, and he thought about it for a while. "Hmm, I think it's only been 5 days. Or maybe a week. I don't know, I've lost count but it wasn't too long -- I know that." Sighing softly afterward, he looked up just briefly, only to realize that they were already in front of her room. "Here we are. Room 1004."

 

Five days. It made sense why she had never ran into him before. Nodding silently in response, she walked along, stopping when he remarked that they were standing in front of her room. She reached a hand out to open the door, stepping in and immediately recognizing the smell of the room she had been residing for most of the past four or five years. 
"Thank you so much," she added gratefully, remembering her manners and turning around to face him -- hopefully in the right direction. "I hope you'll have a great rest of your day. Maybe we'll see each other again. If not, I'll always be here." Smiling genially once more, she lifted her hand to wave farewell -- hopefully at the right angle -- and closed the door.

 

Jungkook released her hand as she walked into her room, and though she had turned to face him directly, he never forgot that she was blind. It was clear that she was rather insecure about her blindness -- for she'd react hesitantly to choosing the originating direction of the person she was talking to. He'd keep that in mind for future encounters.

He returned her wave. "No problem," he responded with a smile, watching the door closed before spotting a sign that had been pasted beside her door.

It was labeled 'Schizophrenic' in dark bold letters, and he stared at it for a moment from disbelief.

This was why she was in the psych ward..

But how was she so normal with this diagnosis? Curious...

Turning around to walk back to his room, he held onto the IV rod with both hands to ensure that he wouldn't end up collapsing onto his weak legs. His thoughts disappitated like the last healthy tissues in his body, and he let out a soft sigh.

 At least he could be of help during his last days.