We're Cute Together

Of Cute Fiascos

Wonwoo hates – no, absolutely loathes the walk-out machine in the library for various reasons he won’t have enough time to list, but mostly because a) it beeps too damn loudly and its ing annoying when he’s seated nearby the entrance, trying his best to concentrate without feeling likes he’s seated next to a loudly ticking bomb and b) he has to always rummage into his bag for his student card that he’s tossed somewhere deep in, and its totally embarrassing when he’s holding up a line. Wonwoo doesn’t like all the attention and noise (to be honest, he never asked for it, so it can warrant as a total invasion of privacy).

If he wasn’t such a book person who counted the library as his holy sanctuary, Wonwoo wouldn’t hesitate to burn the entire building down.

He grunts as he huffs and puffs his way out of the library (accompanied with a loud beep), and damn nearly is a second away from tripping over his own footing and dropping the stack of books he’s hugged to his body – if it isn’t for Mingyu who pops out of nowhere and steadies him with a big hug from the front. Wonwoo is eternally grateful for his boyfriend.

“Hyung, you gotta be careful there,” Mingyu grins, his canines poking at his bottom lip.

Mingyu has the ability to turn Wonwoo’s day upside down entirely – like right now, when Wonwoo can feel a grin filling his face at the mere sight of his boyfriend. Forty seconds ago Wonwoo was busy murdering (in his head, of course) the innocent guy who scanned his card twice with a beep beep to enter the library.

It’s been a year since they’ve become boyfriends (boyfriends, ohmygod), yet Wonwoo still swoons over Mingyu like a silly little teenage girl with a crush. It’s embarrassing – Jihoon makes sure to always scream out how disgusting and nonsensical Wonwoo acts around Mingyu when the shorter catches Wonwoo staring at Mingyu dreamily (which is almost all the time).

Once, he spilled half of the Oreo milkshake he was carrying to their table because Mingyu had turned and winked at him, while shooting him a finger heart and kissy lips. Wonwoo had jerked so hard, he almost didn’t hear Mingyu’s tinkling laughter and Jihoon’s scream. Jihoon later threatened to shove the mop into Wonwoo’s face when Soonyoung had ordered Jihoon to go mop up the floor.

Wonwoo’s glasses fall crooked on his nose, and Mingyu pushes it back up before snatching all the books from Wonwoo’s noodle hands to carry them for him instead. He manages to move all the books to one muscular arm, and grabs Wonwoo’s hand with the other – and Wonwoo blushes a flowery pink from how sweet Mingyu is (a few girls in the campus hate Wonwoo, but oh well).

“I thought we were just meeting up at the shop?” Wonwoo asks, swinging their arms lightly. It’s spring by now, and he likes watching how pretty the flowers look blossoming under the sun each time Mingyu and he walk back together to the dorms or head down to the convenience store.

“Yeah, but I can’t let you walk all those five minutes alone, can I? What kind of boyfriend would I be?” Mingyu smirks, swinging their arms higher. Mingyu loves making Wonwoo a flustering, blushing mess (he thinks the older looks really cute like that).

“Shut up,” Wonwoo blurts, pulling his fingers away from Mingyu’s and trying to hide his face into his sweater – but it only makes him look like a duck because he looks like he’s awkwardly trying for a double chin.

“I’m sorry, baby,” Mingyu teases on purpose and threads their fingers again, and he enjoys watching Wonwoo be a fumbling mess throughout their walk to the shop.

 

 

When the bell above the door chimes to signify their entrance, Jihoon groans in sync with it, and Soonyoung is quick to shout at them in glee.

“I can’t believe the two of you are here again.”

“Hey, lovebirds!”

“Hi,” Wonwoo grunts back. He’s so hungry, he can eat a human (the only reason he doesn’t is because Wonwoo isn’t into cannibalism).

“Of course we’re here again, Jihoon Hyung. It’s obligatory to eat here when I’m trying to take my man on a date when I’m still young and broke,” Mingyu wiggles his fingers before pulling Wonwoo into the booth by the huge glass window. By now, they’ve labelled it as their seat, (Soonyoung makes sure to keep it booked empty any time he knows the couple are coming to eat), and its automatic for the both to move into the booth anytime they’re at the shop. Well, unless Jihoon needs to clean tables and he kicks the couple to the counter bar to be all quote unquote: nauseatingly cute.

“If you’re so broke then why do you still need to have a date, you ,” Jihoon scowls, before moving into the kitchen.

“Hey, bring us some coupons first! I want a discount!” Wonwoo shouts at the retreating figure.

Soonyoung plops next to Mingyu to sit in the booth for a second, grinning. “Mingyu already –”

Jihoon slams the kitchen door back open with full hands, before Soonyoung runs to help him carry a couple of plates, and the fries basket. “Your giant boyfriend already swiped all the coupons finish for your order. He called me six times just to remind me. Tell me why he has my number again?”

“You got our food ordered ahead?” Wonwoo asks Mingyu. “That’s really sweet. Thanks Mingyu, I was starving,” Wonwoo says, stretching over the table to drop a peck at Mingyu’s forehead. Its Mingyu’s turn to blush, and Wonwoo takes a moment to admire his boyfriend because the taller looks really cute when pink grazes his honey-glazed, tan skin.

“You’re drooling at him again, you nasty,” Jihoon flings a rag into Wonwoo’s face, and dumps the napkins onto his head for extra measure.

“You don’t have to be salty,” Wonwoo sasses back, only having a little ounce of shame for being caught checking his boyfriend out.

Mingyu has ordered them a bunch of stuff – things they probably can’t finish on a normal day, but Wonwoo is hungry, and Mingyu is (still) a growing child, so the couple baskets of nuggets, fries, and double cheeseburger for Wonwoo does not boggle his mind, and he instead dives straight into his burger like a cave man who’s been deprived of food since the stone age.

“Hyung, you’ve got sauce on the corner of your mouth,” Mingyu giggles around his mouthful of fries.

“Where?” Wonwoo mumbles around his food.

“Here,” Mingyu says, and he’s a cliché, he’s an absolute cliché who likes doing cute things that’ll make Wonwoo look like a cute little spoilt boyfriend – so its total Mingyu protocol when he reaches his fingers out to swipe the mustard off Wonwoo’s lips and it off his hands.

“Oh , can you not,” Jihoon groans loudly (though it sounds a little like a scream), and he looks like he’s one hundred percent okay with wrangling himself if it means he can get away from nauseating couples.

“C’mon, you gotta admit they’re cute.” Soonyoung smiles.

“No,” Jihoon shoots back, and Soonyoung only resignedly rolls his eyes before heading to the counter to bill a customer.

When Soonyoung and Jihoon have moved away, and the boys are half-full enough to focus a little lesser on food, Mingyu takes the opportunity to finally talk to Wonwoo privately. Wonwoo’s been so busy with his assignments and mid-terms, and it’s almost as if Wonwoo is the one battling with a hectic science major.

“Hyung,” Mingyu pouts.

“What,” Wonwoo blinks at the younger.

“You’ve been too busy to pay me any attention these days,” he pushes his lips out.

Wonwoo watches him fiddle with the basket of nuggets, before he reaches for one and nibbles around them frowning, and Wonwoo can’t help but smirk at his boyfriend saying, “Aw, is someone feeling lonely?”

“Of course I am,” Mingyu whines.

He hates asking Wonwoo for attention, worried that the older would find him too clingy and annoying. The last time they met was almost a week ago, and the both of them had only sat side by side in the library studying together for the ambush of tests and assignments they had to finish. Anything other than that was only the Facetime they manage to have before bed, or in the evening after class – but virtual meetings don’t allow Mingyu to hold Wonwoo, or kiss him on his head, and Mingyu is just Wonwoo deprived.

Wonwoo wipes the grease off his lips and pouts. “I’m sorry, Mingyu. It’s been a busy week.” He sees Mingyu flickering his eyes at Wonwoo, and he continues. “It’ll be over by next week, okay? And then I’ll come over to your dorm, and we can cuddle together, and come here more often to bother Jihoon, okay?”

Mingyu laughs (quite beautifully). “Sounds like a good deal, Hyung. You better preach your own words,” he narrows his eyes playfully.

“I promise.” Wonwoo smiles back softly. “Now, why don’t I compensate you for depriving you of my love with some milkshake?”

“Oh, really now?” Mingyu an eyebrow and tilts his head at his boyfriend.

“Mmhm,” Wonwoo grins back playfully, waving his friends over.

Jihoon trudges over and sighs. “What do you want?”

“A milkshake, the big one.” Wonwoo says, and turns to Mingyu. “What flavour do you want, baby?”

Jihoon rolls his eyes and tries (really) hard to not holler Soonyoung over to take the order instead.

“Vanilla?” Mingyu asks.

Wonwoo turns back to Jihoon. “You heard my man.”

Jihoon rolls his eyes harder. “You guy ran out of coupons, if you didn’t remember,” he deadpans.

Wonwoo crosses his arms and says, “I know, and I don’t need them to spoil my man a little more.”

“Wow, no coupons, Hyung?” Mingyu teases.

“Mmhm, only for you,” Wonwoo flirts back.

“What a hot, rich man I have here,” Mingyu winks.

Jihoon gags. “I’ll try not to ing poison your vanilla milkshake.”

Mingyu only giggles, moving to eat the mountain of fries they have left, glad to be having some quality date time with his boyfriend. He doesn’t tell Wonwoo this much, but he’s crazy glad Wonwoo had drunkenly confessed to him that time over a year ago – and he’s proud of himself for finally making a move on his Wonwoo Hyung. When he looks at Wonwoo laughing over his own pun around a piece of chicken nugget, he’s so glad he gets to call Wonwoo his boyfriend.

His thoughts are interrupted when Soonyoung comes over with their drink and settles it in the middle. Soonyoung catches the soft smile Mingyu gives Wonwoo when he thinks no one notices, and he grins on his own before quickly moving away. He’s only heard so much of how much Wonwoo has whined about missing Mingyu over the week, and he knows Mingyu feels just about the same.

“I added a cherry on top because I made the drink for you guys. Have fun,” Soonyoung smiles over his shoulder.

Mingyu surges forward to get a sip of their shake, claiming a possessive grip on the straw – and he reminds Wonwoo so much of a puppy in a giddy child’s body, instead of a grown twenty year old. He watches Mingyu le down the milkshake carefully, and he wonders how Mingyu’s lips are so pink – and then he also wonders if Mingyu has been applying the berry lip balm Wonwoo bought him a couple of months ago. Mingyu’s lips always looked lusher than usual when he uses them, and they make his lips look so glossy, that Wonwoo never holds himself back from tiptoeing to give Mingyu a kiss (they taste really good too).

“Hyung,” Mingyu says out, his lips still nibbling around their straw.

Wonwoo only hums back. He’s so distracted. (Mingyu’s definitely wearing the balm).

“You want to kiss me, don’t you?”

“Hm?” Wonwoo startles.

Mingyu smirks at the older cheekily, like he’s caught his boyfriend at something. “You keep staring at my lips.”

Well, Wonwoo doesn’t see the point of lying. “Maybe.”

Mingyu leans over and smacks a wet peck on Wonwoo. And then another, and another, and another, before he feels satisfied and sits back with a giddy grin. Wonwoo’s face is dusted pink, but he doesn’t stop himself from stretching over the table to hold Mingyu’s face and press his lips against Mingyu’s one more time, a little longer. When he moves back and settles, he glimpses at Mingyu who still has his eyes shut softly with a gentle smile lilted at his lips.

And Wonwoo thinks over and over and over again, how lucky he is to be able to call Mingyu (the boy he’d had an endless crush for) his own now.

He sees Mingyu grinning softly. “Hey, Hyung?”

“Yeah,” Wonwoo hums, fiddling his fingers with Mingyu’s.

Mingyu flutters his eyes open, and they’re so rich, and deep, like the coffee Mingyu likes to bring Wonwoo when he’s studying at the library. They’re so warm, and sweet. “You know I love you right?”

Wonwoo’s lips curve into a soft smile. “Of course I do, you dummy.”

Mingyu’s arms are stretched out across the table too, and his fingers tighten gently around Wonwoo’s. “Well do you love me back?”

“I always do. I always love you back,” Wonwoo confesses.

 

 

A little far away, at the counter, Soonyoung lets out a content sigh. “They’re so cute together, aren’t they?”

“No, Soonyoung,” Jihoon glowers at him (he’s lost count of how much he can whine in a day, really), rinsing the dishes and wiping along the sink. “Now will you come help me clean all these things instead?”

Soonyoung sighs again, leaning an elbow onto the counter. “They’re cute, Jihoon. You just won’t accept it.”

The backdoor opens before Jihoon can glower again, and Vernon stumbles in in confusion. “Huh, who? Who’s cute?” He asks. He catches Soonyoung’s line of sight, and grins a gummy smile of his own. “Yeah, they’re cute.”

 

-

 

So I realized when tomorrow comes, it'll be a year since I posted my first ever story? I don't know, it got me feeling all melancholic, so I wrote this on impulse in a couple of hours.

It's really just fluff with (zero) plot, but count this as my gratitude.

Thank you for reading ! Drop comments !

And happy first anniversary x