Caramel Macchiato

Long Way Down
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The café was just across the street from the company building.

It was tiny and very nearly deserted. It had a counter at one end, a few tables in the middle, and a fireplace at the other end. The walls were constructed of aging red brick and were covered in graffiti from past customers. The café didn't seem to mind that. It seemed to give the place somesort of character- it was like you could feel the weight of the countless people that had seeped into it.

Ravi pushed Taekwoon gently towards a little white table in the back, under a large watercolour portrait of a man he recognised as John Lennon, before going to order their drinks, ordering his usual for himself and a vanilla latte for Taekwoon. He grinned to himself while he waited for the barista to finish making the drinks, remembering his first introduction to the beverage. It was his uncle. He had given him a sip of his coffee when he was in his mid-teens; from there it had spiralled and, by now, it was definitely an addiction. 

He walked back to the table, careful not to spill the drinks and set the chipped, steaming hot mugs down on the table before sitting down across from Taekwoon, who couldn't help but feel a little awkward in this situation. In a café with the man who had just stopped him killing himself by offering to grant all his dying wishes just so he could die a hero. It was like something out a movie. He wrapped his hands around his mug, cupping the warmth of it between his hands as he watched as Taekwoon stare down at the steam circling out of his coffee in dancing ribbons. "Caramel macchiato," he hummed quietly "Very lavish." He raised his eyebrow in amusement as Ravi glanced at his own beverage, as if trying to work out what was wrong with it. Taekwoon simply laughed and shook his head "Are you sure you don't want me to pay? After all, a cup of coffee is the least I could do for my new fairy godmother."

Ravi snorted and buried his chin in the woolen scarf he had put on that morning in order to hide his scar. It must have looked odd; he was wearing a scarf but no coat. "It's fairy godfather, to you. And, anyway, it's not like I'm paying for your wishes. I'm just here so you don't have to go it alone." He shrugged as though it was no big deal and Taekwoon's eyes widened slightly. He shifted in his seat and raised his mug to his lips, breathing in the strong scent of it's contents. "So, tell me about yourself."

There was a small pause and Ravi cleared his throat. "Uh..." It was strange, all this time, Taekwoon had never mentioned who he was. Usually, anybody round their age would recognise him instantly. He had even got a couple of looks as he walked into the cafe. Did Taekwoon not notice? He allowed his eyes to wander, trying his hardest to avoid eye contact. However, his gaze was constantly drawn back to Taekwoon's- his pale face and wild tangle of hair, eyes that seemed to stare right into his soul, leaving him feeling somewhat exposed but not violated. Not at all. They seemed to demand nothi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter