Six

Spring

 

Chapter 6

 

 

It shouldn’t have been a surprise when Taeyong woke up in an empty bed. But this time, he was so out of it he didn’t even sense the other slip away in his sleep. He must have been tired. There wasn’t even any lingering of his cologne or warmth, it was just cold and that was such a pity. Taeyong had wanted to, just for once, to bask in Jaehyun’s opulence in the morning glow. It was a flight of fancy really, a selfish wish he harboured.

There was a note on the bedside table, of Jaehyun apologising for having to leave for work and thanking him for last night. Last night they had talked about food… and just the memory made his stomach growl. They both had skipped dinner. Taeyong had a hunch that the doctor, in his heedless quest to attend to his every commitment, would totally disregard his own needs. If anything, last night cemented that fact. He was sure Jaehyun had probably skipped breakfast as well.

He headed to the kitchen with plans in mind, stomach still growling.

 

 

It is almost midday when Seulgi knocked on his office door whilst he was going through some reports with two of his trainees, Jeno and Jaemin, who were bright young students that were diligent and hardworking. Sometimes a little too much in his opinion.

They reminded him of himself, before the system wore him down and Hansol’s death ruined him; they were blindly optimistic and innocently naïve. Perfect fresh kill.

“Doctor?”

“Yes, Nurse Kang?” He didn’t even look up which ticked Seulgi off, but then again she was used to him being a prick at this time of the day.

“There’s someone here to see you.”

“I thought you said I have no more appointments? Is it a walk in case?”

“No… it’s not a patient.”

“What?” He gazed up to her with a frown. “I don’t understand.”

“Um… it’s Taeyong.” Jaehyun visibly stiffened at the mention of his flat mate.

“Jeno here wanted me to check up on a patient at Ward fourteen for symptoms of-“

“I can do it! Leave it to me Jae- Dr. Jaehyun.” Seulgi corrected herself, grinned and then tugged at the two young interns who seem dazed at her excitability. “Come on, boys!” She dragged them out by their collars before Jaehyun could even protest. Ten seconds later, there was a knock on his door.

 

“Come in.”

“Hyung?” Taeyong poked his head inside cutely before entering.

“Hey… Can I help you with something?”

“I’m sorry if I’m bothering you.”

“You’re not.” Jaehyun motioned him to take a seat. His table was piled high with reports and other things he had to finish and it must have been really messy because Jaehyun swore he saw Taeyong’s eyes glance around in distress.

“Actually… I made you lunch. I don’t have class today and since we both didn’t eat dinner… and I assumed you didn’t eat breakfast as well. Knowing you.” Jaehyun blushed unconsciously as Taeyong rubbed the back of his neck shyly. He was right. The doctor didn’t really think of taking care of himself.

And truth be told, he was absolutely ing famished.

 

Heck, he doesn’t even do ‘lunch’. ‘Lunch time’ was usually a thirty minute break to either go to the lavatory or speak with his interns about their concerns. If he was lucky, there would be no patients to see and the support staff would pass him a cup of coffee.

“You made me… lunch?” He sounded too surprised; he couldn’t even pass it off as a normal reaction.

“Yeah… should I have not?” Taeyong asked unsurely, putting the plastic bag on his desk and a carrier with four Americanos. One Two Three... Four.

 

“No no… it’s just strange. No one’s ever made me lunch. I don’t think I even eat lunch on work days…” He stared blankly at the plastic bag, still in shock. You would think he had won the lottery or something.

“You should eat more, hyung. You must be starving. And I made some for Seulgi and Irene noona and even Taeil hyung.” That explained why there was four of everything. Four.

Please don’t call them that. They’ll start inviting you to go clubbing or even worse… karaoke-ing. Dear god.” Jaehyun cringed inside. “You didn’t have to go to the trouble of bringing me lunch. And making those idiots lunch as well. I’m sure they’ll be overjoyed. And pretty damned spoiled as well.”

“Priorities. I have those too.” Taeyong responded with a small smile.

 

Jaehyun was someone’s priority now apparently.

 

The corner of his eyes crinkled and Jaehyun could kiss him right there and then. But Taeyong didn’t belong here in his white office, closed up by four walls where everything was impersonalised and sterilised. Taeyong doesn’t belong in this part of Jaehyun’s life.

He might break.

And Taeyong will see him for the misanthrope he was.

 

“My shift starts in a few… so if you’ll excuse me-“

“Shall I walk you to the lobby?” Taeyong gave him an amused but apologetic grin.

“I can get myself to the lobby, hyung. Besides, you should use your break to eat and rest. Send my regards to everyone else. I’ll see you at dinner.” He shuffled awkwardly back to the door.

“Thank you for the food. It was really nice of you. See you at home.”

 

Home home home.

He shivered.

 

Who is this considerate in real life anyway? Lee Taeyong must be an angel. How did such an angel end up in his office?

 

When Taeyong had left, Jaehyun stared at the plastic bag for five minutes, just wondering how the hell he could feel so loved in one moment. This wasn’t even . It was food.

This was dangerous territory.

Like life seen through instagram filters or rose coloured lenses like that French song- it was just too good to be true.

 

He shook the thought off and grabbed the coffee and plastic bag and marched up to the doctor’s mess. Taeil and Irene were sharing a bag of stale vinegar chips and Seulgi entered right behind him having finally shaken his trainees off. He placed the plastic bag and coffee in the centre of the table just as Seulgi took a seat next to Irene. Jaehyun pulled the chair next to Taeil and plopped down, taking one Americano for himself.

“What’s this? You bought us food?” Irene pulled away the plastic bag revealing four identical Tupperware containers.

“Heol.” Seulgi gasped.

“Taeyong brought us lunch.” Jaehyun announced ceremoniously to the dimwits he called friends.

“Double heol!”

“Did you ask him to?” Taeil nudged him. He was still chewing on the inedible chips.

“Nope. We didn’t eat dinner last night cause… reasons.” He coughed, ignoring the flush creeping onto his skin. He took out a container and was pleasantly surprised to find a packed lunch of herb pasta and parboiled broccoli, baked potatoes with cheddar and steamed mackerel in a fragrant mushroom sauce. Leave it to Taeyong to make a healthy lunch for the most unhealthy bunch of doctors ever. “So he brought me lunch because he was worried.”

“Damn, he even baked cookies.” Taeil pulled out a brown bag filled with freshly baked butterscotch white chocolate chip cookies.

That was just crossing the line. Not just food. But comfort food.

“If you don’t marry him, Jung Jaehyun, I will.” Seulgi turned to him with all seriousness. Taeil had already began to eat his pasta and nodded earnestly.

“This is good food.” He confirmed.

“We should invite him to go bowling!” Seulgi suggested.

“Or karaoke!”

“No. Absolutely not.” Jaehyun shook his head decisively. “The last time you guys went all out on a night out, Doyoung slept in the middle of Hangang Park and Seulgi vomited in the river.” He reminded them.

 

 

“You think I can borrow Taeyong?” Irene suddenly asked when they were all munching on Taeyong’s cookies and drinking coffee.

“He’s not a library book.” Jaehyun frowned.

“I need someone to take home and parade to my parents so they can stop it with the matchmaking dates and the nagging and the when-are-you-gonna-give-me-grandchildren? talk.”

“Taeyong’s not a handbag either.”

“Pfft, you kidding? He’s totally arm candy material.” Seulgi corrected him.

“Exactly, so even if I told them we broke up, at least I managed to get to that level.”

“Sorry to break it to you, but you’re not at that level, unnie.”

 

“Hey, I’m free you know? Why don’t you flaunt me?” Taeil was offended he wasn’t asked, causing Seulgi and Irene to burst into laughter and wipe fake tears from the corner of their eyes.

“That’s funny, Taeil.” They said simultaneously.

“Don’t be dumb. Jaehyun’s going to get jealous if you ask Taeyong. And you are old, unnie. You really should think about getting married.”

“Shut up.”

Jaehyun blinked before opening his mouth to dissent.

 

“I am not jealous.” He stressed the words.

“Yeah… we all know what your ‘reasons’ are for not having dinner last night. How many nights have you not have dinner with Taeyong?” Seulgi gave him a doubtful look and then wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.

“Nurse Seulgi!” Irene and Taeil had the decency to at least act like they were scandalized. Jaehyun could not hide his blush at this point, he could feel the heat radiating off him.

“I’m not jealous!”

“And Taeil’s not gay for Doyoung.”

“It’s times like this that makes me insist on the title, Dr.” Taeil sighed wistfully.

“I’m never letting Taeyong come to the hospital again.” Jaehyun declared as he gathered up the Tupperware and headed back to his office.

 

 

The next day, Jaehyun got half a day off, which was huge for him because he had the little things to do like pay taxes and phone bills and get his car washed and other things adults had to do. Usually, he would take the opportunity to do laundry but now that Taeyong did laundry so perfectly like everything else he did, to the extent that when Jaehyun tried to do it himself it just felt… lackluster. He got a call that afternoon from Taeyong which was somewhat strange at that time of day.

“Hyung, can I bring a friend over? I have stuff to work on.”

“Of course, you don’t have to ask me. It’s your place too, you know?”

“I’ll be back around the afternoon with someone.”

“Okay, see you.”

 

 

Jaehyun didn't know what to expect of Taeyong's friends. They would be young, no doubt about that. He had only heard about Ten, who from Taeyong's ramblings must either be a drug dealer or a ballerina; perhaps both. Apart from Ten who Jaehyun knew, his real name was Chitta… something… he had never heard of any other names and he didn't really ask either.

 

What he didn't expect however, was for his friend to be insanely handsome. Goddamn, was every law student of this generation a freaking super model now?

I'm sure Darwin didn't expect this when he published his theory of evolution in the Origin of Species. Was Taeyong rightfully considered his own species?

Jaehyun needs to hit his high school textbooks again because he’s pretty sure he missed this.

 

His friend was tall, taller than anyone he had ever met. He wore a bomber jacket too light for the weather and a hoodie beneath that, his hair was a ruddy brown, bangs falling over his forehead fashionably. There was a certain chic-ness to him, and Jaehyun could tell from his lilting accent to his relaxed manner that he wasn't raised in Korea.

“Hi. I’m Johnny. Nice to meet you Dr… Mr. Jaehyun… sir?” He started off unsurely before glancing at Taeyong for help but Jaehyun merely chuckled. So maybe he wasn’t all so ice cold chic after all.

“Jaehyun’s fine, hyung if you prefer.”

“What have you been doing today? We’re sorry to intrude on your day off.” Taeyong said but Jaehyun shushed him with a look.

“It’s your place too. So stop apologizing or else I’m really going to kick you out.” Jaehyun tutted, a small smug smile when Taeyong pouted.

“He does do that a lot, doesn’t he?” Johnny chimed in and Jaehyun liked this guy already.

 

“I was just catching up on the news and reading some new medical stuff.” Jaehyun gestured towards the dining table where his newspaper was left open and it was already stained from the tea he was drinking and one of his newer medical journals looked too thick to be readable was splayed over a report.

“Do you mind if me and Johnny use the coffee table? We have to prepare for a moot.”

“A what?” He thought he misheard.

“A Moooooot” Johnny exaggerated which made Taeyong to playfully hit him. Jaehyun’s eyes flickered to their banter.

“Stop it. You sound like a cow.”

 

“It’s like a debate and public speaking combined. There’s a problem and depending on which side we get, we try to justify why our side was right. It’s all very ceremonial and more formal than debate though.” Johnny tried his best to explain, sometimes sticking English words in the middle.

“Huh… so like in a mock court?”

“Yup.” The two law students confirmed.

 

“You’re not from around here are you, Johnny? America?” Jaehyun asked in perfect English.

“Born and raised in Chicago.” He affirmed with mischievous smile and his American accent coming out in full force.

“Ah… nice city.”

“You?”

“I lived in Conneticut for four years.”

“Cut the English you two. I understand zilch.” Taeyong whined, and pouted even more. Which made them chuckle.

“Make yourself at home, Johnny. I’ll make some drinks for you two.” He left them and headed to the kitchen. He knew for sure that there would be ice cubes because Taeyong makes them immediately after they finish. He managed to find a few lemons and some syrupy cordial that eventually make a very nice fruity concoction. Taeyong came in to take the tray.

 

“I didn’t know you lived in America.” Jaehyun knew that voice, it was his half-intrigued and half-reserved voice because they weren’t exclusive and this… whatever this was… was not crystal clear. Taeyong just didn’t want to be the jealous boyfriend when he wasn’t even the boyfriend.

“It was so long ago. My English is not even that good anymore.” Jaehyun shrugged, acting nonchalantly.

“Oh… I lived in America for four years. That’s why I’m so freaking perfect and amazing… and that’s why I’m here man!” Taeyong imitated Jaehyun’s accent with a face, which quickly diffused the taut atmosphere. The elder let out a sigh of relief before shoving him out the door whilst laughing.

“Get out. That is not why I’m here.”

 

I’m here because you are.

 

Taeyong and Johnny settled around the coffee table, where they spread their papers and books. Taeyong went through essays in a frenzied state, neon yellow highlighter steady in his hands. Johnny was more talkative, speaking as he scanned materials and watched videos online for reference. They seemed like a fitting pair, making up each other’s flaws; whilst Taeyong was attentive to every detail of the case and knew his law inside out, Johnny’s words were a superfluous waterfall of rhetoric, almost downright eager for the sound of the judge’s gavel to hit the sound block. Jaehyun caught snippets of their esoteric discussion.

 

“We’re going to be the on the appellant’s side right?” Taeyong asked Johnny.

“It’s not confirmed, we might be asked to represent the appellee as well.”

“So we have to cover both sides of the argument?”

“And prepare for at least two or three extra submissions.”

“Ugh…” Taeyong groaned and tipped his head back.

 

“Relax… We still have a week.”

“A week, Johnny! A week! Most people prepare a month before a moot.” He was being frantic now and Jaehyun almost looked up from his papers.

“I’ve known people who lost despite being given all the time in the world. It really doesn’t matter. As long as we know our and research the case extensively, present it well and answer all the questions satisfyingly, we’ll win. No biggie.” Johnny tried to assure him but Taeyong was being dramatic as always.

“No biggie.” He made a face again and that time, even Jaehyun almost laughed at his facial expression. He had a talent for contorting his facial muscles into the most entertaining visage.

“Oh, come on TY. You’re the top student in the batch. And I’m the best speaker in the entire school. We make a great team. Plus with our killer visuals, I’m sure the bench would totally fall for our… charming good looks.” Johnny deepened his voice for a comical effect and looked off into the distance like he was in a holiday commercial.

“I don’t think his honour would care about how hot you look in a suit in actual court, Seo Youngho.” Taeyong replied sarcastically and snapped him back into reality.

 

“That reminds me, you have a suit right?”

“Ah… I forgot. My suit needs some adjustments; the last time I wore it was too short for my legs.” Taeyong recalled his funeral suit which needed a bit of refitting, but it was still fine. Hopefully his hands were skilled enough to handle that.

“It’s fine, we still have a week. Should we start finalising the submissions now?”

“With citations?” Taeyong asked.

“With citations.” Johnny nodded, pulling out another thick book from his bag. There was much to be done.

Jaehyun stored that tidbit of information for later. He went to the kitchen in thoughts of making a light snack for the two students who were so engrossed in their assignment that they didn’t realise it was almost dinner time. After rummaging for food in the cabinets and the fridge, Jaehyun concluded that they needed to go grocery shopping as soon as possible, and also they should order pizza.

“Do you guys mind pizza?” Jaehyun hollered from the kitchen.

“Pizza’s good, hyung!” Johnny replied enthusiastically and Jaehyun can tell the boy was already comfortable around him. It was probably the foreigner thing but Jaehyun doesn’t mind. It makes him feel like he was younger.

“Just don’t do any weird toppings like… pineapple…” Taeyong said which triggered a debate between the two boys about pizza toppings and the best type of crust. He finished ordering the pizza before his phone rang once again.

 

“Hello?”

“So a little bird told me you've already found my replacement.” Doyoung said slyly on the other line.

“You're the one that moved out. Don't get all offended.” Jaehyun scoffed.

“Awww… I can tell you miss me, Jae.” Doyoung simpered.

“Not really…”

“I also heard… that it's a certain someone that's… handsome and young. And innocent. That little bird also mentioned how you were the one that actually offered to house him.”

“Who told you? Irene or Seulgi?” Jaehyun hissed at the surgeon.

“Taeil told me.” It was always the quiet ones. Jaehyun was kind of taken aback but since they were a thing… wait… didn’t they fight about churros or something insignificant the other day?

 

“No way! Are you guys on again?” He asked in disbelief.

“No. He told me in the group chat.”

“What group chat? Why don't I know anything? ” Was he missing things now?

“We have a group chat to gossip about your love life. Its exclusive members are me, Taeil, Irene and some of the support staff. Seulgi is admin.” Doyoung said blasély, like he was talking about the weather.

“There's got to be something illegal and against my privacy and just plain nosy about that! I'm sort of flattered that you guys would dedicate an entire group chat about my love life. But who the does that?” Jaehyun whisper-shouted, teeth gritting against the phone.

“Us, obviously. Do you know how momentous this occasion is?”

“No… not really.”

“For once Jung Jaehyun, you are interested in a human being. Like an actual person. Not their pathogens or their blood type… or their anatomy.” Honestly, you would think Jaehyun was an antisocial hermit at the way Doyoung was describing him. But he wasn’t that extreme. At least he didn’t think so…

“Who says I'm not interested in Taeyong's anatomy!?”

Doyoung chuckled on the other line; his next words are in sotto voce, flighty, and capricious. He was probably smiling into the phone like a maniac.

 

“You're in love.”

“Love is merely chemical.” He dismissed.

“Don't start rapping the periodic table on me."

"Hey, Tom Lehrer's 'The Elements' is a classic!" Jaehyun protested again.

“Face it Jae, you're in love whether you like it or not.”Doyoung deadpanned.

“I'm not!”

“But you are. And me and Taeil are betting how long it will take for you to crack.”

“You guys are s. How long did it take for you and Taeil to crack?” He replied cynically, voice going lower so that the boys wouldn’t hear him seethe in anger.

“It's okay. I love you to even if you fall weak for a college bad boy. Does he chug Jack Daniels straight from the bottle whilst playing beer pong?” He added sarcastically.

“Don’t be ridiculous. Taeyong’s too hygienic to drink straight from the bottle.”

“Man, you’re in deep.” Doyoung sniggered. Jaehyun felt hot, he might have been flushed red but he was too embarrassed to check.

“At least add me into the group chat.” Jaehyun tried to negotiated diplomatically, standing straighter and pressed his back against the marble island.

“No. That would ruin the fun.”

“Really mature of you guys to do this to me!”

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

Author's note:

I am swamped with applications and I got rejected by the scholarship I really wanted TT

Being Asian is so hard. Some comments would be nice guys...

 

Also sidenote: I'm happy I got to turn Jaehyun's famous 'I lived in America for four years. That's why I'm here man!' into a heart fluttering moment. The magnum opus of my work guys :')