Chapter 4

Interpret this!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I apologize before hand. English is not my main language.

_________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Donghae was given the position of CSA (Customer Service Agent) while Henry managed to get the Interpreter position. It wasn’t that Donghae’s English wasn’t good, he just needed a bit of vocabulary in the medical area. Even though he didn’t get the Interpreter position, he was told that if he did good the first three months, he could apply again for the role.

His CSA job consisted in connecting the client with the interpreter. There were many agencies, organizations, banks, hospitals, even Emergency Calls from 911 that called Interpretia so that they could make use of an over-the-phone interpreter, and Donghae needed to be quick and type fast, especially when it was a 911 call.

Both of them took different training courses for the job and learned a whole lot more about each of their separate roles. While Henry work with a complicated computer system, Donghae’s was fast and easy, the hard part was understanding the different accents from the doctors, policeman, bankers, lawyers, you name it.

"Oh my God, what did he say? Why I can’t understand him? When Duchess Kate speaks I can, but what is this gentleman saying I… what? Tell me I’m not the only one."

"British English is a whole 'nother world, man" said another trainee.

Things got better during the second week, he managed to get a lot of practice and his English was getting better by the minute.

"You think you know English but when a native speaker start spelling his name, last name or whatever, you start rethinking your life choices.” Said Sungmin.

"I hate it when they use the Alfa, Charlie, Eco thingy. I can’t never understand, if anything I get more confused. Are you telling me your name or are you describing—"

"I’ve had it with your comments, will you shut up already? I can’t hear a thing!" Shindong screamed from his cubicle.  

"Sorry, Hyung." Sungmin said.

"I’m sorry, sir." Donghae said half bowing.

This is how the system worked. Each of them had a small cubicle with a laptop and a headset. CSAs operated to connect calls, ask for information the system required and solve any small issues with either side of the call. Whether it was a problem of bad connection on the line, or the client required a changed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter