Replacement

Prevailing Disguise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After finished with folding the last set of clothes, Jei lifts up the neat pile, moving back and forth to set each specific type of clothing inside the closet in an organized manner. Raising her arms to stretch her stiff back, Jei felt a hint of relief that the floor was all cleared and spacious. Finished with her household chores, Jei moves to the kitchen.

"Eomma..you want the usual?" Receiving no response, Jei simply displays a small smile. Using a knife, Jei cuts the apple into small pieces. She lets out a chuckle as she cuts the pieces of the red into the shape of small bunny ears.

"Alright." Jei places the apple pieces into a small plate. She lifts the plate onto her two hands, approaching her mother who was resting on the futon as she sets the plate in the side.

"An apple a day keeps the doctor away...I wish that applied with your case." Jei kneels down, moving the strand of hair away from her mother's face.

"Please..get well soon." Jei stands back up, planning to turn off the TV before she goes to her part time job. Grabbing ahold of the remote, she glances at the TV one last time, soon regretting it as the screen displayed something that immediately upsets her mood.

"Way to start off the day..." Jei lets out a sigh, seeing the sight of her father and her twin brother on the screen shaking hands with two other individuals. The reporter began to describe how the Moon industry was promoting their business: by constructing more buildings of their company near the Seoul area.

"I have a few concerns about deciding the structures of the buildings-" After hearing her father's interview from the screen, Jei turns off the monitor.

 

You're concerned about buildings and yet you can't show concern for your family at all?!

 

Jei understood the fact that her parents are divorced, but that didn't change the fact that she was still upset. Opening her front door to head out, she didn't expect her childhood friend to be in her front steps.

"Oh..I was just going to knock, but you've already opened the door..how convenient." Krystal greeted the latter, stepping back to let the latter step out of her house.

"Ready to go?" Jei nods in response. Both females began to walk beside each other, heading to their workplace. Thanks to Krystal's influence, Jei was able to at least manage a bit of her financial struggle with the job as a cafe waitress.

 

...

"Can we order Bulgogi and Kimbop please?" Two customers requested as Jei writes the order on her notepad.

"Of course! It should be ready in about fifteen minutes." Jei quickly bowed before heading off to the kitchen area. She rips off the small piece of paper that contained the written order, handing it to the head chef who began to make the food.

"You sure are handling things well." The cafe manager commented, Jei responding with a smile.

"Thank you." Jei bowed politely, planning to return to take other people's orders.

"Wait." The cafe manager stopped Jei's tracks, Jei turning around to face her manager.

"...tall."

"P-pardon?" Jei looks at her manager questioningly as her manager eyed the latter's figure.

"What have you done to become so tall? You're almost like the average height for guys..maybe even a bit taller." Jei raises her eyebrow, contemplating on whether she should take that as a compliment or as an insult.

"Um..thank you?" Her manager gives the latter a small smile before returning back to her office. Going through what she already planned before her manager stopped her, Jei returns to take the rest of the customer's orders.

 

...

After closing hours, Jei began to clean each table, using a small towel to wipe off the stains left on the tables.

"You almost done?" Krystal questioned, holding onto three things that she hid behind her.

"In a bit. This is my last one." Jei thoroughly wipes the last table, soon making it spotless as she then turns to face the female who has been waiting for the latter patiently.

"Here." Krystal hides the third item in her pocket, offering the first item to the latter while keeping the second item in her hand.

"Paycheck from manager-nim." Jei hesitantly takes the envelope from the female's hands, checking inside it's content as the latter began to frown.

"Krystal!" Jei shot a glare at the female, who played off as innocent.

"What?"

"Don't you act like you are unaware...why does my paycheck have more money?" Krystal averts her gaze to the left, shrugging in response. Jei let's out a sigh, pinching the bridge of her nose as she hands her paycheck back to the female.

"Look. I'm really grateful and thankful for your help and all for considering my family problem before...but I'd like to try to earn the money myself this time, especially since I have this part-time job now." Jei displays a small smile, patting the female's head. Krystal lowers her head down, feeling a bit apologetic yet at the same time feeling a bit flustered at the latter's actions. She places the bits of money she placed on the latter's envelope back to her own envelope. Afterwards, she hands the accurate paycheck back to Jei, whom finally accepts the amount she feels she has earned in her job.

Krystal soon takes a deep breath, keeping in mind of the third item hidden inside her pocket.

"Hey Jei.."

"Hm?"

"Are you free tomorrow?" Krystal places her hands inside her pockets, anticipating for the latter's response at any moment. She grips ahold of the third item: tickets to Lotte World. Every second of the latter's silence increases Krystal's anxiety.

"Mm..actually, no. The landlady is collecting the rent for the month

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter