Not a Fairytale

Rise or Fall
 
 
                               My name is Goo Miran. I was born in the year 1997 and originally came from Incheon. I grew up in Seoul after my parents divorced when I was 10. I had to go on a rough journey as a lonely child with curiosity of love. I have never once received any love from both parties. They were only treasuring their businesses and money. Wealth is what they chased after. Not to raise me like the other parents did to their beloved children as if they were a living gold.
 
I attended middle school and high school without troubles. They called me dull, boring, mysterious and rumored to be a vicious murderer. Just because of how often I put on my emotionless face and sticking with educational notes instead of chatting behind the lecturer.
 
My former classmates were surprised when they saw my books which mainly contains thrilling and learning to build weapons. Ever since I was younger, I've been dreaming to hold a gun and shoot. I was guided by my uncle who was a prominent military's commander. He made me interested to be a soldier but my mom forbids and disagreed. She wanted me to act like a real lady with class and be graceful to the luxury life. It was funny to recall the moments I was arguing with my mom.
 
                    All I have now is just me and my best friend, Doyeon. We survived from the streets of Gangnam, filled with flesh eaters trying to capture their victims and stingy for foods. We locked ourselves in the upper room of the cheapest hotel and securing the door using some furnitures we found abandoned. We were trapped for 2 days and starving.
 
 
3RD POV
 
                                 “I think we really need to get out of here—” said Doyeon who just done bathing and drying her body with the hotel's provided towel. She came out of the bathroom to see her friend busily functioning on wiping their yet unused weapons. Fortunately, they stole a pair of handguns and a shotgun from the police's car during the outbreak.
 
“There's nothing to worry. We have items and the ammor is enough for us to hunt foods and maybe shelter if we are lucky. Those creatures must have left us alone now. It's the right timing,” said Miran as soon as she pulled the trigger and aiming on other direction to practice if it would be comfortable. Doyeon felt protected but that doesn't means she had less knowledge about guns. She used to share similar interest with Miran but instead of soldier, Doyeon asked for police department.
 
                   “I wish it is enough.” and those words caused Miran to smile. They were still daring and having so much confidence in such horrible situation. But they would be losing energy without taking meals, of course. So, they decided to dress up quick and leaving the room. 
 
Miran opened the door and silence surrounded the area of the upper level. Doyeon followed behind, in order to keep her eyes on the back side while waiting for Miran to check if everything is fine and well-cleared. They slowly taking few steps on the stairs and checking each sides with their pointed handguns. Miran choose not to use the shotgun as it would attract their attention and leave it in the room they were staying at.
 
                     They wrote a note on the walls for any survivor that might possibly barged into the hotel, 
                         “THERE IS A SHOTGUN UPSTAIRS AND GOOD LUCK
 
Doyeon had to suppressed her laughter and chuckling by the way Miran wrote those words in a clumsy style. Miran made a judging expression towards her friend and pretending to punch her. Their attention got distracted by a screeching sound coming from outside the building. It seemed to be a survivor that being chased.
 
                     Both of the girls went to carefully making sure where did it came from as they leaned against the standing wall and Miran steadily peeks to see two guys around her age were sprinting as if they were competiting in marathon. She doesn't recognized those two strangers but she had a good intention to save non-infected people.
 
“Wait here. I'll try helping them and you run to the direction of highway. I'll tag along behind,” she commanded Doyeon, who were at first nearly refused to follow the order and soon changing her mind when she saw a large horde of zombies were getting closer to where they hide. She hurriedly stood up on her own and sprints, supported by a signboard that would lead them to a long road of Guri.
 
On the other hands, Miran tied her hair into ponytail then moves her feet faster and catch on the guys' arms, helping them towards the way she planned.
 
“Who are you?!” shouted a younger-looking guy as he got startled by her sudden presence. “Just shut up and follow me or die!” she may sounds rude if they were positioned into a relaxing condition but it is different now. She got no time to explain.
 
Without their realization, the other guy that she was dragging along were coughing out blood and fell on his knees. The other two stopped and the younger guy tried to hold onto his buddy but failed as Miran saw a bitten wound on the coughing guy's right neck and quickly gripping on the panicking guy's shirt. “Wake up! He can't be rescued and we need to hurry! He's bitten!” and not wanting to hear anymore objection, she pulled him and shot the ones getting closer to them.
 
“NO! JIN HYUNG! JIN HYUNG!” He screamed and cried. But Miran keeps on running due to the disgusting sounds of the groaning rotten corpses behind them. As she turned her face to the front, she saw a familiar glimpse and it was her friend on the passenger's, Doyeon and it wasn't her who drove the minivan but an unknown guy. The minivan went to their direction then it was speeding to the side, allowing them to enter the back seats as fast as they load and shut the door.
 
The driver made it a ride to Guri with Miran and another unknown guy panting in shock. She had to catch up on her breath to ask what was happening but Doyeon got to answer it first.
 
“I met him across the road of Acheon-dong and he offered me a help.”
 
Miran squinted her eyes and glancing over the rear view mirror, it showed the reflection of the guy. “Mingyu?” she guessed with her eyes widened in disbelief. Doyeon quirked an eyebrow as she already can tell they would knew each other, otherwise she wouldn't shout like an excited woman in this kind of situation.
 
The driver who then named Mingyu ends up furrowing his eyebrows at first until he exchanged glance through the rear view mirror, “Oh, Miran? We'll talk later. You need to save your energy,” 
 
To clear up things, Mingyu was Miran's childhood friend since kindergarten but they got separated away at the age of 15 and moving to farther location. They didn't even inform where was it, so they didn't have any idea if they were staying in the same province.
 
Return to the minivan, she nodded and the guy who was rescued keep quiet and silently shedding tears. Miran was startled the whole time then she threw her gaze at the guy beside her. He seemed losing someone who has been important to his life more than himself. She felt bad and had to explain to him.
 
“I'm.... sorry about your friend... I didn't meant to, you know,” she apologized.
 
He sniffled and took a few seconds to form a respond, “It's okay. It wasn't your fault. But if you didn't interrupt in, I'd rather die with hyung... I'm scared to be alone,” he pursed his lips together next.
 
She was sincerely felt bad and slowly motioning her hand to pat the guy's shoulder lightly.
 
“Don't worry. You have us now. I'm Goo Miran, by the way,”
 
“Kim Doyeon!” “Kim Mingyu!” both of them who were sitting at the front row shouted at the same time and stealing glances. Not a shy one but more like enemies. They sounded childish for knowing both of them are best friends with Miran and they had similar feelings of not sharing the same friend as well as the same surname.
 
The guy lifts his head up, looking at every one of them, including Mingyu through the rear view mirror. He begun to speak with the remaining tears on his cheeks, “Jung..kook. Jeon Jungkook...”
 
Miran has officially confirmed he was an high school student based on the dirty uniform he was wearing.
 
                              This is just the beginning of the four starters' journey.