Chapter 2

A war is near
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yeontae felt a pang in his heart as the car drove off and Jinkyu was staring at him. He turned back and faced the road after they passed the gates of the camp. The formation camp was located in the North East, just before the wall separating them of the quarantine zone.

His father drove in silence across the plain. The fields were dry at this season.

Yeontae was happy to finally be on leave. He had started his army service three months ago but it was his first time going back home. And in a few days, it would be the same for his friends.

The government had launched the military service two years ago and boys between 18 and 25 were called for enlistment by geographical areas. It turned out this year was called the agglomeration of Layxis, his hometown, so that his friends and him had all enlisted at the same time.

And this was how they had all ended up in the only formation camp of the area in the same dorm.

Yeontae didn't really mind being in the army. It only lasted for a year anyway.

 

After an hour and a half, they had finally reached the highway. The highways were divided in four floors piled on one another, making it difficult for the light to reach the inside. Yeontae looked at the sky one last time before the car was plunged into darkness as they drove into one of the four suspended roads. The car got propelled, pressing him against his seat.

After they had reached a steady speed, his father the radio. He would always do that when they were on the highway. A sanitary message was playing but Yeontae wasn't that attentive.

"If you were to show any of the following symptoms: high fever, inexplicable bleeding from your nose or ears, nausea, disorientation; please call your doctor or the nearest epidemiology center. Although the epidemic seemingly died down, stay vigilant."

 

 

After a four-hour long trip, they finally arrived in Layxis. The buildings were still the same and the city was still as crowded as three months ago.

Yeontae's father parked the car in their alley and his son was happy to finally being able to get out and stretch his legs.

"It's us, we're home !" His father called while opening the front door.

"Honey, you're here ! And Yeontae, my sweetheart !" His mother hugged the both of them.

She took his bag from his hands.

"You know you could've worn civil clothes, right sweetheart ?" She chuckled.

"Actually he can't. The President wants them to keep their army outfits at all times." His father commented.

"What ?! Even on leave ?" She had indignation in her tone.

"Even on leave."

She rolled her eyes. "So useless. Anyway, come in the living-room, you must be tired."

 

Alex and Kay, his respectively fourteen-year-old and three-year-old brothers were watching TV.

"Boys, look who's there ?" His mother said happily.

Both turned around and Kay ran into his arms.

"Yeontae !"

"Hey !" He held him in his arms.

"You know at school, I told them you were in the army and they said I was too young to have a brother in the army !"

The others chuckled.

"Well, I hope you told them your brother was a big boy then." Yeontae smiled.

His brother nodded aggressively. "Of course !"

"Ah good ! But aren't you too young to be awake this late ?"

"He wanted to see you two." His mother said softly.

"Aw, how cute." His father smiled.

Yeontae put him down and sat down on the couch. He took his phone out of his jacket, not even trying to hide his satisfaction. At the camp they could only have it for 30 minutes after supper,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter