Chapter 10

A war is near
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yeontae jerked awake. A finger was pressed against his mouth.

"Ssshhh." Jinkyu murmured in his ear, barely any sound leaving his lips. "Giseok took his shift. Let's go."

Yeontae nodded and grabbed his shoes, following him outside.

"Guys ?" Giseok looked at them, eyebrows raised.

"Just needed some fresh air." Jinkyu replied as they sat down to lace their boots.

"You should be sleeping." He whispered, sending a pleading look Yeontae's way.

Yeontae shrugged. "Insomnia."

"We're just taking a walk, we'll be back before the end of your watch." Jinkyu patted his shoulder.

Giseok sighed. "Okay..."

"Thanks man."

They quickly left.

 

 

"No helmets, no bulletproof vests, no guns." Yeontae commented, his mask protecting his face from the cold.

"Yep." Jinkyu shrugged. "That wouldn't have been very lowkey to ‘go for a walk’."

“I guess…”

They left the forest and joined the main road. Hundreds of cars laid there, some crashed in the ditch; abandoned there by people who thought they would be able to leave this place...

"Wow."

"Yeah." Jinkyu sighed, scratching his arm uncomfortably.

 

They eventually arrived near Yeontae’s old city. That was the place the flyer they had found had indicated to find the quarantine camp. Was it filled with infected people or as deserted as their surroundings, he had no idea. But everything was so quiet and dark.

"Do you know where the camp is ?" Jinkyu asked.

"Well..." He shrugged. "Close to the town hall, I guess ?"

His boyfriend nodded as they passed the first buildings, their facades covered in plants.

Both were on alert, from fear of running into infected.

 

"Are we far ?"

"No, we're almost there." Yeontae answered while looking around the empty street. He didn't like being here... not one bit.

They the corner of a street and Jinkyu gasped as Yeontae pushed him behind a wall.

“Did you see that ?”

Jinkyu nodded.

Yeontae shot a quick glance back in the street. The road to the town hall was closed by a ten-meter fence, lit by torches and guarded by two men on top of it.

“I guess we found the camp.” Jinkyu commented.

“Yeah…” Yeontae breathed out. “Now, what do we do ?”

“We get inside !” His boyfriend scoffed as if it was obvious.

“You do realize that it’s probably full of infected and that we wear army outfits, right ?”

“Eh, whatever.” He shrugged.

Yeontae gasped as Jinkyu came out of their hideout and ran over to the fence while waving his arms in the air.

“Wait, Jinkyu !”

“Hey !”

He groaned and followed after him.

“Over here !” His mask muffling his screams. “Over heeere !”

The guards noticed them.

“Excuse me !”

One of them shouted something.

“I’m looking for someone !”

Then the other guard aimed at them with… a rifle ?!

Yeontae screeched. “Jinkyu !”

He had already thrown himself to the ground but Yeontae wasn’t fast enough. He gasped in pain as it pierced the skin of his arm.

“Yeontae !”

H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter