The Ending For A New Beginning

(NBin) unWRITTEN

[CHAPTER 46]

"The Ending For A New Beginning"

 

 

Clank. Clank. Clank.

The sound of the usual noisy tin cans suddenly felt like a chime.

Hakyeon and Hongbin went to the bookstore as a way to spend their last time together.

"I've always thought it was strange how this bookstore looked exactly like how I've always wanted. From inside to outside, top to bottom, it's everything I've been looking for in a place I want to read in. That's cheating you know," Hakyeon pouted.

Hongbin chuckled a bit.

He told the older how he went through the highs and the lows in order to get near Hakyeon. It was a lot of work at first but it all paid off when Hakyeon told him that he was in love as well.

"It must've been hard on you," Hakyeon said and hugged Hongbin from the back.

"It's okay. As long as I have you now," Hongbin held onto Hakyeon's hands and kissed it. "Thanks for understanding, Hakyeon-ah. It really means a lot to me."

The two of them walked around the bookstore and caressed the empty vintage bookshelves as they reminisce every inch of the building for the last time.

"What do you think I'll be doing after our memories get a rest?" Hakyeon asked.

"Who knows? Unlike normal people, you've never had a future pre-written for you," Hongbin shrugged.

"You know, I've always wondered about that," the older commented.

"Hmm?"

"The reason why my future is unknown. If I had a future written out like everyone else, that means I'm going to end up with someone who has a future or doing something completely different from what I'm doing now, right? I believe that the reason why I never had a predetermined future was so that I could meet you," Hakyeon said.

"You think so?"

"Mhmm!"

Hakyeon hugged Hongbin even tighter under the timeless chandelier and all they could think about was each other.

"Thanks for coming for me, Kong-ah," Hakyeon gave the younger a peck on the cheeks as gratitude.

Hongbin and Hakyeon eventually went upstairs to talk more and eventually Hongbin brought out the box that contained the book and the pen with it. Of course, Hakyeon wasn't surprised at all and told the younger he already knew about it.

"If you were going to write my story, what would you have written?" Hongbin asked curiously.

"Honestly, I didn't think that far. Maybe bound you to my side for an eternity? So that you have nowhere to go except by my side?" Hakyeon grinned.

"That's tiring," Hongbin sighed playfully and teased. "But that doesn't sound all that bad either."

"Can I also ask you something?"

"Hmm?"

"When did you um... fall in love with me?" Hakyeon blushed as soon as he asked the question.

"Not long after I met you, at least that's what I thought but now that I think about it, I might've fallen for you since the beginning even before we actually met. Your single story changed who I was. At first, it was curiosity. Eventually, I began to empathize with your feelings and felt sorry for you. But later on, I thought how nice it would be if I could be there to help you... I went from someone who could care less into someone who couldn't let go of your book. It was to a point that I became a bit obsessed with your story and even now, I still remember every detail about your life from the beginning."

"Really?" Hakyeon gave a playful look of doubt, "okay then, when was the first time I rebelled against my parents?"

"Ten. Your mom told you to go to cram school like usual but that day you had a really bad cold, so you got angry and ran away from home. It wasn't until later on that your brother found you hiding in the playground. Your family got really worried about you since it was the first time you rebelled," Hongbin said confidently.

Hakyeon was expecting the younger to have said the time Hakyeon went against his parents' wishes and left the town with Taekwoon but the moment Hongbin mentioned his childhood, the memory came back in a flash.

"Okay then, who was my first crush?" Hakyeon continued to test the younger and hoping that Hongbin would feel a bit defeated in jealousy.

"Your middle school teacher and because she's your ideal type - kind and beautiful. But did you know that she's now married with three kids?" Hongbin chuckled.

"Fine, um... then who's my first k-"

"Kiss?" Hongbin leaned right away and kissed Hakyeon deeply without letting the older continue with what he wants to say.

Hakyeon's cheeks turned bright red from the unexpected attack.

"Don't care because eventually, that's going to be me," Hongbin said.

"What do you mean?" The older tilted his head in confusion. As long as he could remember, his first kiss was with Taekwoon back in high school.

"Do you believe in reincarnations? Or afterlife?" Hongbin asked.

"I've read about it in some books, why?"

"If I told you that it exists, will you believe me?"

"Why wouldn't I? I mean I just met a Goddess the other day who disguised himself as a substitute teacher and I also met all of you who claims to be from another dimension that monitors our fate."

"Hakyeon-ah, if we were to eventually grow old and die without remembering each other, would you like to be together again? This time not from different worlds but from the same one?"

Hakyeon leaned closely and wrapped his arms around Hongbin's.

"That sounds like a plan. But we won't remember each other, right?"

"It's okay. Remember why you were able to remember before? It's because I remember you. We're linked to each other one way or another by a thread of fate. No matter what time or what world we're from, even if our memories get a reset, I believe that I'll still continue to love you," Hongbin said.

"Is it... okay to believe in those words?" Hakyeon asked.

"Mhmm. I won't lie to you ever again. I promise you that even death won't be able to make us part."

"That sounds like a wedding vow," Hakyeon chuckled.

"It is. I don't care how long it's been or how far you are, I'm definitely going to find you again and again. I can't think of anyone else I want to be with more than you," Hongbin proposed.

Hakyeon gave the younger a peck a shook his head," this time, I'll find you instead."

Hongbin and Hakyeon looked earnestly into each other's eyes. Their eyes were a bit teary at first thinking about their separation, but they also chuckled at their seemingly childish proposal to one another.

However, as childish as it may sound to some, their vows would last for an eternity.

 

* * * * * *

 

Taekwoon never left Sanghyuk's side that night. He's never felt this way before about anything or anyone. He woke up the next morning to see Sanghyuk awake and looking at him at the same time.

"Morning," Sanghyuk said in a soft voice as he smiled at Taekwoon who finally woke up.

"You should be resting," Taekwoon said while trying to hide his blushing face.

"It's okay," the younger replied.

"Are you feeling better today?"

"A little but also hungry."

"Do you want me to make breakfast then?"

"Would you?"

Taekwoon nodded of course.

"Heh. Thanks," Sanghyuk kisses Taekwoon's forehead as a reward which made the older blush even more.

Though Sanghyuk's condition was still the same, he looked a little more energetic than before. Maybe it's because he wasn't alone, and he knew that Taekwoon would remain by his side the entire time. The two of them decided to have their breakfast in bed and Taekwoon had no problems with making the younger a simple breakfast. Plus, Sanghyuk ate it all happily.

"Good?" Taekwoon asked nervously about the food.

"Mhmm."

Taekwoon let out a small sigh of relief. He knew the younger would say 'yes' no matter what, but he wanted to make sure anyways.

"When is everyone coming over today?" Sanghyuk asked.

"In the afternoon..." Taekwoon's voice fell out as he said it because they all knew that today was the day.

"Don't look like that," Sanghyuk caressed the older's sad expression. "I know how you feel. I'm the same too but if you look like that as the last thing I'll remember about you... I'll really not want to let go."

"I-I know... I just can't help it. Even though we're doing this for your sake," Taekwoon tried to cheer up," sorry."

"Taekwoon-hyung."

"Hmm?"

"I know the possibilities are slim and we haven't been together for long and on top of that, we're going to forget about each other entirely but... even if there's a small chance, I'd like for us to meet again in the future. If we die later on without remembering each other than I hope in our afterlife, we can be reborn and fall in love with each other again. This time, I'll make sure we'll be together from beginning to the end."

"Heh, so you believe in that type of stuff," Taekwoon finally cracked a smile at the sudden confession but it was enough to bring him the tiny bit of happiness he needed. "It doesn't sound bad at all. We didn't start out the best with one another so this time, during this reset, I hope to be able to love you properly too."

Though their time with each other wasn't that long, it was still long enough for them to fall for one another. Their relationship wasn't the best at first, but it wasn't the worst either. They grew to understand each other and sort out their differences. They're different from each other in many ways but the way they express their love towards their beloved is the same. Even if their love this time didn't last long compared to other people, it was enough for them to cherish their memories for an eternity.

 

* * * * * *

 

One final time, everyone gathered at Sanghyuk's place. All the characters that played a role in this story gathered once more before they have to bid their farewells.

"Hyogi-ah, are you okay?" Hakyeon asked as he sighed in relieve to see Sanghyuk finally awake.

"Mhmm," Sanghyuk smiled.

"That's good. Sorry for everything..." Hakyeon told him.

Sanghyuk held tightly onto Hakyeon's hands and smiled.

"Hyung. I loved you a lot. I never had the courage to confess because I was never able to be that person in your heart. I'm always a few steps too late but I just want to let you know, that I'm glad you were my first love. And during this entire time while I was sick, I saw how much you worried and cared for me. That itself is enough for me," Sanghyuk said.

"This time? Loved? You're talking in past tense already," Hakyeon giggled slightly. "But thank you for loving me. You'll always be the best dongsaeng I'll ever have."

"Alright. Is everyone ready?" Sungjae asked and gathered everyone in the living room. He was counting to make sure that no one was missing either. "You've said the things you wanted to each other, right?"

Everyone looked at each other and nodded.

"But what's going to happen to us after our memories get reset?" Jaehwan raised his hands to ask the question.

"A full reset of a story means that even your friendship will change. Even if you're in the same dimension or world, those bonds that were once form will be untwined."

"So even us and Kong?" Jaehwan looked rather sad.

"Unfortunately," Sungjae told them.

"And it took us so long to finally be friends..." Jaehwan pouted a bit.

"What do you mean, hyung?" Hongbin asked.

"You know... it's hard to be friends with a shut-in... heh."

"Hey~" Hongbin laughed. There was no denying it there. "Don't worry hyung. Even if we forget each other, I'm sure with that persistent personality of yours and Kim Wonshik's, there's no way I'd be able to escape," Hongbin joked.

"Heh. I'll make sure you can't run away this time, Lee Hongbin," Wonshik smacked his friend proudly in the back.

"As for you, Sanghyuk and Hakyeon. It's going to be the same for you two as well. It's a bit cruel for this to happen but once your story resets, the relationship between you two will also go back to scratch again," Sungjae looked rather apologetic for this happening as well.

"It's okay. I kind of thought this would happen when you told us that our memories and bonds would reset. But I'm sure that I'll chase after Hakyeon-hyung even afterwards," Sanghyuk laughed. "I'm also quite persistent myself."

"I don't mind that at all. Maybe I'll be the one chasing after you instead," Hakyeon joined in the joke.

"Yah!" Both Hongbin and Taekwoon shouted at the same time. "What about us?"

Sanghyuk and Hakyeon averted their eyes from their respective lovers and chuckled.

"Did you forget our vows last night?" Hongbin grabbed Hakyeon jealously away from Sanghyuk.

"And our promise this morning?" Taekwoon also clung onto Sanghyuk and sulked.

The scene caused everyone to burst out laughing.

"Oh~ they're jealous," Jaehwan pointed out while the rest continued to laugh happily.

Sungjae looked at the six of them and couldn't help but let out a smile as well. He was put in a rather difficult position, having to erase everything that was built up throughout this story but in order for the story to continue, he knew what had to be done.

"Alright. Seems like everyone is finally ready," Sungjae took a deep breath. "I know this is a reset but looking at it this way, no matter what happens, fate will always bring you together. I may be the Goddesses of Fate at one point, but your bonds have proven to me that no matter how hard we try to pull you away from each other, you'll always be together. Believe in yourselves and those around you, no matter what time and what world you may be in, you'll all be brought together again eventually. That's what I truly believe."

"Sungjae-ah," Hakyeon said once more. "Thanks for giving us this chance. I know you're going through a lot yourself too to make this decision, but this is a chance to set things right and help Hyogi as well. So far that, thank you."

Hakyeon along with the others all nodded in agreement.

"Also," Hakyeon leaned forth to Hongbin once more and gave the younger one final kiss," don't forget this, Lee Hongbin."

"I won't. Never," Hongbin returned the kiss and held tightly to Hakyeon's hand.

Sungjae opened a book and the whole room turned into a beautiful golden color. The light was emitting from the pages of the book and Sungjae drew out threads from midair. All six threads that came from each individual appeared in an instance and as if they were dancing, the threads started to twirl beautifully along the pages. The book that contained their encounters, their love and their bonds, started to unwrite itself. The words on every page began to disappear backwards.

And now, their beginnings have been given a brand-new start.

 

* * * * * *

 

Sungjae watched everyone go back to their respective places and beginning. He watched their bonds and memories disappear into thin air. A part of him was sad that he had to do something like that but a part of him was also relieved that they were given a chance for a brand-new beginning.

Since the start, many things went array and both the books of Hakyeon and Sanghyuk were meddled with. But because of this reset, both books reverted back to normal.

I hope you'll all come together again and truly find happiness that can last you for a life-time, Sungjae thought as he looked at Hakyeon's book once more in the vacant bookstore building that was left behind.

"So, they're really gone?" someone came into the store and the tin cans started to clank against each other.

"I hope Hakyeonie will be happier this time," another voice followed inside.

"Do you think this was the right thing to do?" Sungjae asked them.

"Of course. We've watched Hakyeon for a long time now and the both of us have been worried for him as we tried to be his friends."

"It was difficult! But I guess after all he's been put through because of us, it's no wonder he's shut himself away from making friends," another sighed.

"But he eventually opened up to you two, didn't he?" Sungjae turned to face the two visitors. "Minhyuk. Eunji."

"Well, now we can drop the unfamiliar act right, Klotho?" Minhyuk said. "Don't tell me you've forgotten your own sibling's name, have you?"

"No, Atropos. I didn't," Sungjae said. "But it's weird to call ourselves by our original names after all. Don't you think so Lakhesis?"

"Yeah... I've been Eunji for so long that I like this name more myself," Eunji smiled.

"Do you think Hakyeonie will be happier this time?" Minhyuk asked.

"He has to be. Just look at his book," Sungjae showed his two siblings the book of Hakyeon's fate.

All of the pages of the book have been cleaned up and the cover was as if it was a new one again. The scratches and rips from the pages disappeared as well. Everything turned into a brand-new start.

"That's a relief," Eunji said.

"Mhmm," Minhyuk nodded in agreement. "And look!"

The three of them gathered to flip through the pages of Hakyeon's book.

"A future," the three of them noticed.

The book that was unpredictable since the beginning, with no answers to why and was on the verge of disappearance... the pages that were left blank since the beginning now has something more. Beautifully illustrated words replaced the blank pages and a future finally appeared. And this time, it was guaranteed to be a happy ending.

 

 

A/N: Surprise, suprise! but this isn't the end yet! One more chapter and we must say our farewells. Are you ready?