- 8 -

Unknown Acquaintance

11:00 AM

Nam Joon:

How are you today? 

Seung Hwa:

I'm okay.

Nam Joon:

Okay? But are you feeling more good than bad or more bad than good? 

Seung Hwa:

I'm just in the middle today.

Nam Joon:

That can be good then.. 

Nam Joon:

Did you enjoy last night?

Seung Hwa:

Very much. Thank you.. For the gifts as well. 

Nam Joon:

:) Smile Always

Seung Hwa:

You went back and looked at it? 

Nam Joon:

Of course. I waited until you texted me that you left before I went back. 

Nam Joon:

Thank you for agreeing to do that with me. 

Nam Joon:

Don't visit my sister today.

Seung Hwa:

Why not?

Nam Joon:

She's very sick. Her reaction to the chemo she received is just not well at all...

Seung Hwa:

The poor thing... 3 

Nam Joon:

It worries me.

Seung Hwa:

Me too. 

 

2:07 PM

Nam Joon:

How far off did you move to? 

Seung Hwa:

Not far. I'm closer to your sister's hospital now though.

Nam Joon:

Oh okay

Seung Hwa:

I heard that there is a festival coming to town this week. 

Nam Joon:

*gasp* Are you inviting me out this time? :D

Seung Hwa:

Never mind, I'll just go by myself

Nam Joon:

AAYYE AYYE! Wait a second!!! I want to go with you! 

Seung Hwa:

Tch

Nam Joon:

When do you want to go? The first day it opens up or what? There will be lots of people there as well so we don't have to worry finding out who we are. 

Seung Hwa:

I know this, stupid. 

Nam Joon:

Stupid.. Tsk. Let's go the first day, it's the busiest. 

Seung Hwa:

k

Nam Joon: 

K? Are you angry? 

Seung Hwa:

No

Nam Joon:

Then why k?

Seung Hwa:

Cause I wanna 

Seen 2:13 PM

 

8:09 PM 

Nam Joon:

How are you?

Seung Hwa:

Hello

Seung Hwa:

Not good. 

Nam Joon:

Seung Hwa, what's wrong?

Seung Hwa:

Call me.

----

NamJoon's POV

I froze a bit when Seung Hwa sent me the code word. I didn't know what to do. And to make things even worse, she even asked me to call her. I am afraid for what I might hear... 

But I called her anyways, hesitating no more as it could mean life or death. 

She picked up and we both said nothing but I could hear a slurred voice on the other end. 

"Who called you?" The voice asked. 

Nothing. 

I heard a few things shift around and something break a distance away, but no more voices were heard. I was confused, my eyebrows knitting as I tried to figure out what just happened. 

"S--" I tried to speak but she silence me with a simple "Sh." 

So I sat there. Occasionally hearing some words from the guy but everytime he seemed to notice she was on the phone, he'd leave. 

Did she ask me to call to keep him away? He sounded drunk.. Maybe he was trying to hurt her in some way and the only way to keep him from doing that was to have me call.. She threatened him with a witness... 

That's pretty smart... 

After nearly an hour of just sitting there in silence, the otherline hung up and I was left to just stare at my phone, waiting eagerly for a text from her.

But I got nothing. 

I wish I could've done more for her.

----

6:00 AM

Nam Joon:

How are you? 

 

7:58 AM 

Nam Joon:

How are you???

 

10:23 AM 

Nam Joon:

Seung Hwa

Nam Joon:

Are you okay? 

Nam Joon:

Are you upset? 

 

1:00 PM

Seung Hwa:

Good

Seung Hwa:

Thank you for calling me last night

Seung Hwa:

I hung up when he went to bed

Seung Hwa:

Deleting again.

 

2:34 PM

Seung Hwa:

How is your sister?

 

3:00 PM

Seung Hwa:

Where'd you go this time?

 

5:23 PM

Nam Joon:

Sorry, I'm here. 

Nam Joon:

My sister isn't doing well at all. 

Nam Joon:

Her health is rapidly depleting.

Nam Joon:

I've never been more afraid for her in my life.

Nam Joon:

She's too young.

Seung Hwa:

She's strong. She'll pull through. 

Seung Hwa:

She'll pull through, Namjoon. 

Nam Joon:

I think you're wrong this time

Seung Hwa:

Don't lose faith in her.

Seung Hwa:

She can't see her brother losing faith and then continue to fight alone. She isn't strong enough to carry both of you. Make it easy on her and just let her carry herself.

Nam Joon:

I think you should visit her today.

Nam Joon:

Right now.

Seung Hwa:

Okay. 

----

Third Person

Seung Hwa turned the knob and entered the hospital room, very slowly. She clutched a stuffed elephant in her hand as she pushed the curtain with her other. 

The sight she saw was nothing like the last time she visited. The poor, helpless girl was lying on her side, her head too heavy to move to even greet Seung Hwa. Her smile never appeared and her eyes could only open half way. When she breathed, you could hear the rattling of her chest. She wore a cap now, one that fit too loosely on her head. 

Her blankets and pillows were thrown on the ground. 

Seung Hwa bit her lip to keep from crying at how much her health had truly depleted in the short time it had been that she last visited. 

Namjoon was right, Seung Hwa was wrong. It hardly looked like she was even alive at this moment. 

Seung Hwa approached the bed side and put on the widest, fakest smile she could bare. "Hello, Geong Min. I brought something for you." 

Her eyes opened a tiny bit more and she finally smiled a little. "Unnie.." Her voice was hoarse as if she hadn't spoken in a while but Seung Hwa ignored it.

"Don't talk, just rest." Seung Hwa put the stuffed animal on the counter beside her bed. "I'm going to help you lie a bit better, okay?"

Geong Min didn't say anything and allowed Seung Hwa to carefully lie her on her back, moving the bed up a little so Geong Min could sit up. Seung Hwa gathered the pillows and put one behind Geong Min's head and the rest around her frail body. 

"Too hot." Geong Min protested about the blanket though so Seung Hwa just kept it at the foot of the bed instead of the floor. 

Seung Hwa kissed Geong Min's head and placed the stuffed elephant on Geong Min's lap with another smile. 

"You'll get better, my lovely." Seung Hwa assured. "It's rough now but you're almost through. You're strong enough for it."

Geong Min thought a moment and then glanced down at the elephant. "Unnie... I want you and Oppa to meet. He tells me of the dates you two go on but never see each other. He tells me just how badly he wants to meet you... He also tells me that he can't because he respects you." 

"Don't talk, dear." Seung Hwa bit her lip again, the urge not to cry just growing stronger. "I'll meet your Oppa some day. Just not right now. I want to be a better person before I meet such a kind person, do you know what I mean?"

Geong Min didn't respond but instead she just sighed. Seung Hwa showed the girl funny pictures online, read her some jokes that Geong Min ultimately declared stupid after a while, and even pulled a chair up next to her bed and watched a movie with her. 

Geong Min got too tired though and ended up passing out during the movie so Seung Hwa left after giving her another kiss on the forehead. "Smile always, Geong Min."

----

9:07 PM

Seung Hwa:

Your sister really wants us to meet, doesn't she?

Nam Joon:

Yes. But don't feel pressured by her. She's just speaking like that because she likes you a lot.

Seung Hwa:

I wasn't. It was only a question :P 

Seung Hwa:

I'm going to be gone for a few days.

Seung Hwa:

I'll be back the day before the festival.

Nam Joon:

Where are you going? Why can't we talk then?

Seung Hwa:

It's nothing bad. I'll just be gone a bit. 

Nam Joon:

But I don't want you to go, I want to make sure you're okay

Message failed to send. 

----

6:00 AM

Seung Hwa:

I'm back. Miss me?

 

8:00 AM

Nam Joon:

That was the longest week of my life.

Seung Hwa:

Cute. So, are we going tomorrow then? To the festival?

Nam Joon:

Of course. 

Nam Joon:

What did you do the past week?

Seung Hwa:

Stuff

Nam Joon:

Was it at least good stuff?

Seung Hwa:

Yeah :)

Nam Joon:

:) 

Nam Joon:

I heard it's a themed festival. Don't be the only one there without being in character. 

Seung Hwa:

Themed? What is the theme?

Nam Joon:

Well it is for some holiday. Just dress in traditional clothing and you'll be fine

Seung Hwa:

Why do I feel like you're ing with me?

Nam Joon:

lol I'm not, I swear it

Seung Hwa:

...

Nam Joon:

What? I'm serious!! I promise I'm not ing with you.

Seung Hwa:

Fine. I'll believe you.

Nam Joon:

You brought up the festival! How do you know nothing of it???

Seung Hwa:

I saw it advertised, I never looked into it. You did the rest lol

Nam Joon:

And good thing I did.

Nam Joon:

You're becoming more open to me, you know? You're even letting me take you on dates. I feel honored. 

Seung Hwa:

I just don't have a time consuming job anymore. I only work as a hostess now.. Nothing more.

Nam Joon:

:) 

Nam Joon:

I hope you continue to change. You're perfect the way you are but you're only happy when you can be someone you aren't afraid to show. 

Seung Hwa:

No one is perfect. What I do and what I did is far from perfection anyways.

Nam Joon:

I think people can be perfect. It just depends on the way you view how things are perfect.

Seung Hwa:

Well whatever. I'm not going to argue with you but I still disagree with you. 

Nam Joon:

Disagree all you want :) 

Seung Hwa:

Why are you so weird?

Nam Joon:

What do you mean? Do I make you feel all fuzzy inside? ;) 

Seung Hwa:

What? No lol you're weird, not me. Why would I feel fuzzy inside?

Nam Joon:

Have you ever been in love? 

Seung Hwa:

No not really

Nam Joon:

Liked anyone?

Seung Hwa:

I use to like this kid when I was in junior high. 

Nam Joon:

Didn't you ever feel fuzzy when you saw him?

Seung Hwa:

More like wanting to puke

Nam Joon:

ew omg. Was it because you were nervous though?

Seung Hwa:

I guess

Nam Joon:

what was his name?

Seung Hwa:

I don't remember tbh. I would probably recognize his face if I saw it though

Nam Joon:

Even though he's all grown up now?

Seung Hwa:

Everyone grows and changes but there is always a feature that is left the same. It could be their ears or eyes. I'd notice them first and know it was them. 

Nam Joon:

Are you a spy?

Seung Hwa:

Would I tell you if I was a spy?

Nam Joon: 

lol true

Seung Hwa:

It'd be cool to be a spy though. You know what I really want to be though?

Nam Joon:

What?

Seung Hwa:

An artist. 

Nam Joon:

I remember you talking about your art before.

Seung Hwa:

Yeah. I want to be an artist that gets rich off every painting.

Nam Joon:

That would be impossible because an artist doesn't just get rich on one painting

Seung Hwa:

I know

Seung Hwa:

But I can't be an artist so it doesn't matter

Nam Joon:

Why not?

Seung Hwa:

Not good enough. I tried to submit my art many times but I always got a rejection letter. 

Nam Joon:

Try again

Seung Hwa:

I did. Many, many, many times.

Nam Joon:

Don't stop trying then. I'm sure you are good enough. Some people just can't recognize true art. 

Seung Hwa:

I make enough money

Nam Joon:

For your parents abroad. 

Seung Hwa:

So? It keeps them away from me

Nam Joon:

It also keeps you from being you. Be someone you're proud of and do what you want, regardless of anything else. 

Seung Hwa:

I wish I had your innocent thoughts. You just don't understand because you've never been in a circumstance like this.

Nam Joon:

:\

Seung Hwa:

Anyways, I gotta go for a little bit. 

Nam Joon:

Hurry back..

Seen 8:31 AM 

 

3:00 PM 

Seung Hwa:

I'm back ;D I tried to visit your sister but they didn't let me..

Nam Joon:

They don't let me either...

Seung Hwa:

:( I hope she's okay

Nam Joon:

Me too. They'd tell me if it was anything bad though.

Seung Hwa:

Maybe she just requested to be alone today. It must be hard for her to be going through this. 

Nam Joon:

Sadly, that could be it. Her way of dealing with hardships is to push everyone out and hide.

Seung Hwa:

She's not different then me. I understand her. But it's damaging now that I see someone else like that..

Nam Joon:

Very. Especially if it's something a single person couldn't bear. 

Seung Hwa:

She'll be okay

Nam Joon:

Don't say something you can't be confident on

Seung Hwa is typing...

Seen 3:08 PM

 

Finally I got this update done! It's hard running two different stories at the same time.. lol wew. ~PandaBiscuit~