Chapter 8

THE ROAD TAKEN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YoonA's hands are shaking when she hugs Kai to her chest. The boy, probably senses danger, quiets down in YoonA's arms. Just a few meters away from the car they are in, Changwook is dodging a kick from the BMW driver.

Frightened, YoonA can even see blood on the corner of Changwook's lips. It seems that his opponent will win the fight and YoonA trembles even more. She takes cover behind the seat only to realize that the driver already saw the both of them in Changwook's car.

“Kai.” YoonA whispers to her boy. “We need to get out of here.”

The boy nods, teary eyed and all.

“Quietly, okay.” YoonA takes a peek at the scuffle outside. “I go first. You follow me and try not to make any sound, alright?”

YoonA doesn't wait for Kai to nod again. She opens the passenger door as quiet as possible before making a run to another parked car and hides behind it.

“Okay, Kai. Go.”

The boy copies YoonA's move, dashing with the lunchbox clutched to his chest.

Night is getting late. When YoonA looks up, dark sky frowns upon. Rain is coming. She has to hurry. Hugging the boy, YoonA moves behind the row of cars.

“Hey!”

The BMW driver sees them. Changwook too. Under his bleeding forehead, YoonA can see Changwook's eyes reflect disappointment.

“I told you to stay in the car!” Clearly frustrated, Changwook takes a swing at the driver who easily ducks away. The driver sneers, punching Changwook in the stomach, sending the chef to the ground.

“You just have to make it difficult, don't you Changwook?” The man rolls the sleeve of his jacket, kicking Changwook once before walking for YoonA. ”Now that you've started it. I'll have to use some coercion too.”

Wide eyed, Yoona freezes as the man picks up the tire iron from the ground and walks toward her and Kai. She can feels Kai gripping her hand, sharing his fear while seeking protection.

YoonA hugs Kai, lifting him up and run. Rain starts to fall and she heads for the road. People yelling, cars honking and one of the speeding vehicles nearly hit her and Kai.

“Hey! Watch out! YoonA?”

From beneath the curtain of rain, YoonA recognizes the driver that nearly hits her. “Jonghyun?”

“Jonghyun! Help!” She rounds the car, desperately knocking at the car window. “I need help! Open the door! Let me in!”

Hearing the lock clicks open, YoonA hurriedly gets into the car. From the back seat, she tells Jonghyun to drive away.

“What's happening? Why are you running in the rain? ”

“Just.... just drive, please. Faster.” YoonA wipes Kai's wet face with the sleeve of her coat. The little boy trembles in her hands, eyes reflects utter fear.

“It's okay, Kai. It's okay.” YoonA takes off the boy's wet sweater. “Jonghyun, please, do you have any spare shirt? Sweater? Anything?”

Jonghyun stares at the boy, then at YoonA, before skilfully taking off his own sweatshirt while driving at top speed. He hands the outfit to YoonA who then put it on Kai. The boy sniffs, clutching his precious lunchbox. In the oversize sweatshirt, he looks even more fragile than he already is.

While her heart breaks, YoonA put up a brave front, smiling down at her boy as she takes off her wet coat. “I'm sorry. We'll fix the meal in your lunchbox soon.”

She takes the box from Kai's hand, slowly putting the lid back on properly before handing it back to him. Scooping Kai's frail body up, YoonA sits him on her lap then hug him tight.

“Who is he? Is he your kid?” Clearly curious, Jonghyun stares at them from the rear view mirror.

YoonA nods, kissing Kai's forehead.

“Really?”

YoonA just sighs, nodding again. In her arms, Kai starts to drift off. YoonA rubs the boy's back, hoping to radiate warm and comfort in this chaotic rainy night. “Jonghyun, thank you.”

Shrugging, Jonghyun just keeps staring at rear view mirror.

“I can tell you why but I need a place to hide. Can you please take us to a hotel somewhere out of this town?”

Saying no word, Jonghyun speeds up the car.

“I'll pay you. Please, Jonghyun. Please.”

Sneering, Jonghyun hits the gas pedal harder.

Nightmare comes in different shapes and colors. To YoonA one of her nightmare is this mansion, gray and tall, standing alone at the end of the long drive way on the cliff by the sea. Into that place, she once brought her hope only to have it shattered in the most vicious way possible. In that place, eight years ago, her life was ruined

“Jonghyun, no. What are you doing? Why do you bring me here?” Her scream of protest has died down few minutes ago, leaving hopeless whisper. Kai's sleeping in her arms and YoonA knows she can't just jump out of the speeding car without harming the boy.

The house's zooming closer while the rear view mirror displays Jonghyun's wicked smile. The fear engulfing YoonA, she can't describe it. Rain has waned off, but the sea is still churning, much like YoonA's feeling. When the car halts to a stop, YoonA tries to look for a way to escape but of course the secluded mansion doesn't have any.

“Don't even try to run.” Jonghyun opens the passenger door, trying to yank Kai from YoonA.

“Don't you dare touch my son.”

“So you have a son indeed.” A cold, cruel, remarks comes before the person who voices it show up. She doesn't have to show up for YoonA to know who the person is.

Seungri's mother.

“Get the boy.” The huge door opens to the woman YoonA hates the most. The two men following Seungri's mother hurriedly come for Kai, grabbing him from YoonA mercilessly.

The boy screams, startled by the commotion. YoonA yells too, trying to take the boy back but one of the men simply elbows her to the ground.

“Now, calm down guys.” Seungri's mother walks down the marble step to get to the man holding Kai. “Don't hurt my grandson.”

With her manicured hand, the woman tries to caress Kai's cheek. The little boy turns his head away, screaming.

“Aren't you just the carbon copy of your father? Temper and all.” The woman huffs. “Bring him in.”

One of the man moves to haul Kai over his shoulder but the little boy fights back, even biting the man's hand. Kai then runs for YoonA, hiding behind her back.

“It's okay, Kai. It's okay.” YoonA turns, hugging Kai. But the two men separates her with her son once more, one grabbing Kai by the feet, the other holding him under his armpits.

“Don't hurt him!” Yelling again, YoonA tries to grab Kai back. But it's a useless effort, she even got elbowed by one of the man again. Hard, right on her left temple.

YoonA sees stars, falling to the ground. Kai continues struggling. The little boy screams and shouts, feet kicking, hands flailing, but the two men effectively hauls him closer to Mrs. Lee's side. One of them clamps his hand over Kai's mouth, muffling the little boy's protest.

“Listen, boy. Listen!” The woman grabs Kai's shoulders, trying to hold the boy's gaze. “Be quiet or I'll make this two guys throw you over the cliff!”

Kai freezes, eyes widen in horror.

“Promise me you'll be very-very quiet or I'll let the sharks in the sea have you.”

Kai nods, tears falling from his cheek.

“That's more like it. Good boy.” Seungri's mother smiles. “Now, pay attention, okay? I'm your grandmother. I'll take care of you. Be a good boy and I'll let you have all the things you want. Toys. Food. Everything.”

“Hey! What about me?” Jonghyun who had been quiet as the scene unfolds steps up, hand outstretched toward Mrs. Lee. “Where's my money.”

“Tsk.” Not even turn around to look, Seungri's mother expresses her distastes. “My men will get back to you later.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter