Chapter 8

What You Never Had [M]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This is frustrating.

It had been several days since you went to the City Hall, and saw the suspicious meeting between the gang leader that you'd recognised from your first day out of the castle and men who looked like pirates. To be fair, you couldn't confirm without a doubt that the unfamiliar men were pirates just from their clothes, but the fact that they met a dubious character such as the gang leader was reason enough to warrant further investigation. Still, without conclusive evidence, you had to be careful who you divulge this information to.

Of course, the person who made most sense would be your eldest brother, the Crown Prince Namjoon. However, the first person who came to your mind was none other than your Royal Guard, Seokjin. Not simply because he was the love of your life, but because you were confident in his abilities. Moreover, being one of the citizens of the capital instead of living most of his life in the castle, Jin may have information and insight that you and Namjoon didn't have.

It wasn't like you were spoiled for choice either way. Even before that visit to help with the poor and the jobless, both your brothers had been busy with councils added to their other duties. That was part of the reason neither of them accompanied you to the City Hall. Now that you were back, it seemed that they were busier than ever. You'd heard that the Crown Prince of Delphina, the powerful neighbouring country to the north had arrived to attend the meetings, but apparently things were so rushed and chaotic that he had decided to do away with the grand welcome. Therefore, you hadn't had the chance to meet him yet, but that hardly mattered to you right now. Still, the fact that he'd put the matters of the countries above a flamboyant celebration told you that he had the leadership and passion that befitted a future king, much like your own country's Crown Prince. You could think of more than a handful of names of nobles who would have insisted on an extravagant commemoration for any excuse they could think of.

On the other hand, what was even more maddening was that after recovering and returning to service, Jin had also been occupied with his other duties in the castle. As you currently had nothing scheduled outside the castle, you hadn't had a reason to venture out of it. Which meant that you hadn't had the opportunity to see Jin for more than five minutes, and certainly not privately. That was hardly enough time to have such a sensitive, prolonged conversation. The only person you could share your findings with was Ji Eun, but she wasn't in the position to give you much help. So when you'd found out that Jin would have a break that afternoon, you'd made your desire to take a walk at the nearby lake known immediately. It was just beyond the grounds and only easily accessible to the people of the castle so you'd managed to insist on only taking Ji Eun and Jin with you.

The lake was huge, the bank on the other side barely visible to your eyes. It was a cool day, but Jin's presence right next to you was a comforting warmth that chased the chilly breeze away. On your left side stood Ji Eun, her face impassive. She had made it clear that she didn't think that your relationship with Jin was a good idea. On the other hand, she had also seen the evidence of your depth of love for Jin on numerous occasions and Jin had also proven to her that he would go to any lengths for your sake. That was the only reason she'd go along with any of this, or so she told you.

It was uncanny. The castle had been mayhem from your perspective these past few days, what with the important guests from another country, the people close to you being inaccessible due to numerous pressing issues that kept most of them behind doors, no doubt in deep and convoluted discussion. In addition, being stuck inside had made you feel suffocated and frustrated by your inability to do anything while everyone else had important matters to attend to. Yet in this vast open space, accompanied by some of the people most important to you, feeling the wind caressing your face gently, the gust running its fingers through your hair, fresh air filling your lungs, lush hues of blues and greens of the sky, water and trees soothed your very soul. Your worries seemed so far away, insignificant. A bubble of laughter escaped your mouth, so carefree you felt right here, right now. Beside you, Ji Eun was startled by the sudden giggle, then her face relaxed into a smile similar to the one Jin wore the instant he'd seen your eyes sparkle with happiness.

"Would you like to sit?" Jin asked you, then glanced at Ji Eun, letting her know that the question was directed to her as well.

"If you don't mind, I'd like to take a walk," you told him. "There's something I'd like to talk to you about." He inclined his head readily, already able to guess that you hadn't suddenly wanted to venture for a walk with only the two of them on a whim. After getting his agreement, you turned toward Ji Eun, cocking your head. An invitation for her to join in the conversation if she wanted to, but also a clear permission to sit out if she didn't. She nodded, pivoting to follow you, but when you and Jin proceeded to walk around the lake, she fell several steps behind. Close enough to be able to hear, but far enough that you and Jin could walk together like a normal couple, a luxury that you couldn't afford in front of people because of your status. A gesture that made you appreciate and love her even more.

The first few steps were filled with silence. Just taking in the change of pace and each other's company. Even though you'd come here countless times before, especially when Jimin wanted to spend time with you by taking you out boating, it was different when your companion was Jin. It felt like ages since you were able to spend quality time with him like this, without any pretenses that you'd had to keep up with at the castle due to your differences in station. Where you couldn’t smile at him without worrying that it would rouse suspicion, unable to hold or even touch him, having to sneak furtive glances at each other. There wasn’t much you could do about it — you were thankful to have what you had as it was — but to be free with him like this, just like how it used to be in the beginning of your relationship, even for a short time was heaven to you. Nonetheless, you arranged this with a purpose in mind, and it wouldn’t do to cast it aside for the sake of a worry-free outing with Jin.

Loathsome as it was, you had to bring it up. “Did Jungkook say anything to you about the visit to City Hall?”

Jin’s lips pursed into the smallest of pouts; an adorable indication that he regretted not being able to accompany you then. You couldn’t stop a smile from forming as he shook his head. So Jungkook kept your little chase quiet. You appreciated him for that, although he might have covered for you to save himself. After all, if it was known that you’d slipped away on his watch, he might land in bigger trouble than you would. Whatever the reason may be, you were thankful for these little blessings. If Jungkook hadn't told Jin, chances were high that he hadn't told anyone else either.

The people you trusted. Those were the people who needed to know. Moreover, with Jin, there was nothing you needed to hide. He knew about this affair more than anyone else, with the exception of yourself. So you told him everything that you saw that day; the sighting of the gang leader who tried to assault you on the same day you met Jin for the first time that caused you to trail after him, this time leading you to two men who wore suspiciously similar clothes as the pirates who attempted t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter