Chapter 6

What You Never Had [M]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He loves me.

That one delightful thought still stood out amongst the many memories you made with Jin that night, days after it happened. The sight of him carrying out his duties, even from afar, made you smile. When his delectable lips curled upwards from a close distance, yours followed suit. Just the thought of him made you delirious, basically. He didn't need to be within your sights to make you feel like you were on cloud nine. You had fallen so deeply for him.

"Did something happen?" Jimin's voice pierced through your euphoric thoughts. You looked at him, startled from your daydream.

"Why do you ask?"

"You've been staring into space and grinning to yourself like an idiot a lot lately," he said teasingly. "So, did something happen?"

This conversation seemed eerily familiar, but this time instead of finding a way to evade his question, you turned away from his inquisitive gaze. "Nothing happened," you lied even as your cheeks started to burn at the thought of what transpired that night between you and Jin.

Doubt was evident in Jimin's supposedly non-committal hum at your answer, but thankfully he didn't pursue the matter. Trying to ignore his eyes boring into the side of your skull as you glared determinedly at the garden from your balcony, you asked awkwardly, "So... what were we talking about?"

"You looking so obnoxiously happy these past few days for no reason, apparently," he deadpanned, finally making you flash your glare in his direction.

"I meant before that," your words came out between gritted teeth.

"Nothing, we just sat down, remember?" He cackled, satisfied that he got a rise out of you. "Actually I came here to ask if you'd like to accompany me tomorrow."

"Where to?" As far as you could recall, Jimin had plans the next day. A commitment that didn't involve you.

"The National Library."

That you remembered. Regret had filled you when you heard that it had not been taken care of well by the previous director. The matter had only come to attention when a new director had taken over and received complaints that the old one had brushed aside. "Weren't you supposed to go with Namjoon?"

"I was, but something came up and now he's too busy to go," those pouty words were accompanied by a bland face. You'd doubt that Jimin was unaffected by Namjoon's inability to accompany him, but you knew that Jimin wasn't that petty. Besides, both of you had noticed that the eldest had been occupied lately, although you hadn't been able to ask him what had kept his time filled. As it was, you could only help him whenever you could. This was another chance for you to do so.

That was how, instead of whiling the afternoon by yourself after lunch the next day, you sat in front of the mirror in your room to get ready for the visit to the National Library. As you applied a little rouge on your lips, you heard Ji Eun calling behind you, "Have you ever worn these? They look new."

Attention piqued by her question, you set the makeup down to turn around and look at the dark blue shoes she was holding up. Recognition sparked in your eyes when you remembered where the beautiful pair of heels came from. "They are a birthday present from Jimin," you explained, moving to sit on the other side of the plush stool you were sitting on and extending your hand up for them. "I meant to wear them at the coming of age ceremony, but—"

"They are too big," Ji Eun finished for you as she watched you slip the right one on.

"I think I'll wear them today." To the surprise of your lady-in-waiting, you took the other shoe and stuck your left foot into it.

"Is that wise?" She asked, brows furrowed as you stood up, testing the fit of the heels. They didn't, of course, but you gave Ji Eun a reassuring smile. "They're just a tad too big. It should be fine, since I'm not going to do any dancing today. At least, I don't plan to."

She returned your silly joke with a small smile of her own and a nod, then walked with you to the courtyard where Jimin was waiting by the carriage with a small . Immediately your eyes were drawn to one of the figures wearing the dark blue Royal Guard uniform. You and Jin exchanged a lightning fast, furtive glance, just quick enough for you to bite your lower lip to keep yourself from beaming at him. From the top of his horse, he cut a dashing, imposing figure, but you caught the very corners of his lips threatening to curl into the tiniest of smiles of his own.

Your heart danced at the sight, but Jimin's offer to help you into the carriage cut the organ's twirling routine short. Graciously, although ruefully taking his hand, you climbed inside and settled next to the window while he climbed after you. Unfortunately you only caught a glimpse of Jin as he rode past the window towards the front of the carriage, but Jimin soon distracted you from your little disappointment.

"Those look familiar," he said with a twinkle in his eye. Following the direction his eyes were pointing at, you looked down to see your feet peeking out from under your dress.

"They do?" You teased, happy that he noticed that you were wearing the shoes he gave you.

"Do you like them?"

You nodded. "They are very pretty." Jimin did a great job getting you a present that suited your tastes perfectly. You only wished that he did as good a job picking the right size, but you didn't want to tell him that and hurt his feelings.

The library was not far from the center of the city, and in no time the group came to a stop. As soon as you stepped off the vehicle, you had to tilt your head up to take in the impressive, circular structure, standing tall at three stories at the very least. Jimin led the way towards the sharply-dressed man in his forties waiting expectantly at the entrance of the building and you followed without complaint. Until a sudden force from below kept your right foot from moving forward.

A surprised shriek tore from the bottom of your throat, but before you could even travel halfway towards the ground, a pair of large hands caught you by the arms.

"Are you all right, Your Highness?" Jin's concerned face peered from your side as he gently but firmly pulled you to an upright position. You nodded, feeling a blush creep up and colouring your cheeks. It was unclear even to you whether it was due to Jin's close proximity or if it was caused by your very public display of clumsiness. To draw both yours and Jin's attention away from your reddened face, you swiveled your head back to see the cause of your near mishap. The narrow heel of right shoe had decided to wedge itself between the cobblestones.

Jin followed your line of sight towards the offending article of clothing. "Hold on," he whispered gently, guiding your hand to hold on to him for balance as he bent down to pry the shoe from the ground, then knelt down on one knee before you. Before you could utter a word of protest, he'd lifted your leg to place your foot on his thigh.

You were painfully aware of your burning face and the stare of Jungkook, one of the royal escorts staying behind with you as Jin swept the hem of your skirt up, exposing the bare foot. His touch was soft, tender, managing to sneakily brush your ankle as he deliberately slipped the heel back on.

Your sharp intake of breath at the contact was almost inaudible. The charged moment was once again broken by Jimin's loud voice. "What's keeping you?"

It was as if Jin's solid thigh had caught fire. That was how quickly you pulled your leg back to stand on your own two feet. With your hand removed from his broad shoulder, Jin stood up, facing Jimin. His own features did not betray his emotions, almost as if he didn't feel anything at all. Your ankle, on the other hand, still tingled from his touch, but you tried to emulate him and prevent your own emotions from betraying you.

"My shoe came off," you said sheepishly to Jimin's raised eyebrows. Your excited, anxious heart beat a rapid rhythmic tune as he paused, but calmed down when he tilted his head towards the library, saying, "Come, the director is waiting."

Jin followed behind as you strode inside and matched Jimin's steps. The director was already by his side, informing him of the funds needed to spruce up the facility. You listened for a while, walking across the ground floor of the building. It was beautiful. Rows of shelves filled with books lined the vast space. The sunlight streaming through numerous windows was softened by the thick glass panes and lent the place a bright,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter