Chapter 4

What You Never Had [M]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Word count: 4,151 words

~•~•~•~

Kissing Jin was the most blissful act you could ever have imagined. Of that you had absolutely no doubt. Not that you had another man’s kiss to use as a frame of reference. Jin was the only person you had kissed, but this kiss was unlike the kisses you’d shared with him before. His hand cradled the back of your neck as he pressed his lips to yours. The palm placed on your back kept you in place; in fact, it made it impossible for there to be any space between you. Your fists were bunched into his uniform, enjoying the way every part of you was crushed against him, and a soft moan sounded in the back of your throat. The signs of reciprocation spurred him on, making him angle his head to kiss you even more deeply, as if he intended to your soul out so he could place it next to your heart that he’d already claimed as his.

Finally he was forced to release you as his lungs screamed for air. “Wow,” he panted, still holding on to you.

“Mmm,” was your only response before you dragged him into another passionate kiss.

There was no doubt that you could have spent an eternity kissing Jin if it was not for the sound of footsteps approaching the door, causing both of you to jump apart. One of your royal escorts entered and you tried to breathe normally. Biting on your lower lip that you were sure was slightly swollen from the force of Jin’s kisses, you acknowledged the new entry with a nod.

If he had noticed that both you and Jin were chasing your breaths, he didn’t show it. “Everything is ready, Your Highness. Shall we return to the castle?”

Your heart rate was slowing down to a normal pace as you realised that he was none the wiser to what had gone on in the room just before he entered, but you still cleared your throat before you answered in the affirmative. Following him out the door, you caught Jin’s eye and smiled and you were actually excited when he returned it. Perhaps everything would turn out all right after all.

Even though you didn’t get another moment in private with him after that incident, you found that it didn’t bother you very much. Just the fleeting looks and secret smiles you exchanged with him were enough to keep you on cloud nine. Perhaps it was just your imagination, but you thought that his face positively lit up every time he caught your eyes, and you were pretty sure that you were reacting the exact same way when you looked at him.

There was no doubt that the return of the warm Jin that you loved had you feeling better in weeks, the complete turnabout from his detached attitude since he discovered your identity relieving you from worry and stress. The first one to comment upon the improvement in your mood was Jimin. Having lost to Namjoon in a sword fight, he walked towards the table where you sat while your eldest brother started sparring with the master of swords behind him.

“What is going on with you lately, little mouse?” He asked, taking a seat across the table from you.

You placed your needlework down to narrow your eyes at him. Dealing with Jimin would require all of your concentration and truthfully it wasn’t like you were paying the project much attention anyway. Watching your brothers move gracefully, brandishing their weapons in their hands in intricate, dangerous dances had always been more intriguing than any feminine pastimes that you sometimes took up. “Whatever do you mean?” You asked innocently.

“You know what I mean,” he commented without looking at you, his eyes on the fight playing out before him. “You’ve been really chipper lately.”

Letting out a fake gasp of indignation, you answered, “Is it wrong for me to be happy?”

“No, I —“

“Would you rather have me miserable?”

“No, of course n—“

“What kind of brother are you, to wish such a horrible fate on his only sister —“

Jimin made an exasperated noise and you giggled, amused that you had managed to annoy him and relieved to dodge his question at the same time. “Of course I want you to be happy, but do you have to be so irritating?”

Before you could point out that he was more irritating than you could ever be without even trying, Namjoon cut you off, having finished his bout with the older warrior. “Speaking of being happy, I’ve got good news for you.”

“What is it?” Namjoon’s words were quick to pique your interest and a welcome distraction from Jimin’s dangerous questions.

“Do you know about a local celebration taking place in the next town in a few days?”

“Mm-hmm,” you said distractedly, your attention once again stolen, this time by the navy-clad figure walking towards you. As your home was heavily protected by the castle guards, Jin was sometimes sent off on other duties while you were under its protection. He must have settled the matter he had to attend to. However, Namjoon’s next words had you giving him your full attention.

“I talked Father into letting you come with us.”

“Really?” You gushed, gripping his calloused, sweaty hand in excitement. It wasn’t very far from the capital, but that was further than you had ever been, and you were dying to venture away from the small world your life had been centered upon. It didn’t matter that you would only spend a day there, or would not be able to offer much help. Your joy was contagious, making your brothers grin, and even Jin smiled at your enthusiasm.

Time always had a habit of slowing down when you were looking forward to something, and it did not fail to behave just as you suspected this time. The next few days passed by at a snail’s pace, but eventually you were in the courtyard surrounded by people getting ready to depart for the town, arguing with Crown Prince after you saw that a carriage had been prepared for you.

“Why can’t I ride on horseback like everyone else?” You demanded of a beleaguered Namjoon.

“It’s not very far, but it’s still a few hours’ ride,” he reasoned. “Sitting in the carriage is a lot more comfortable than riding sidesaddle the whole way.”

“You aren’t thinking of sitting astride the horse, are you?” Jimin interjected, hooking his chin on your shoulder as he smirked. “Please spare our good people the heart attack from seeing their lovely princess dressed like a man galloping about on a horse.”

Your face turned red, because that was exactly what you had in mind. You jerked your shoulder to get away from Jimin, trying to hide your embarrassment. The king was liberal enough to let you attend classes and learn how to ride a horse just as your brothers did but such behaviour would unfortunately not be accepted by others.

“If you ride with us, Ji Eun will be left by her lonesome,” Namjoon persuaded you gently, and you agreed. You knew that he was of the opinion that some of the expectations held by society when it came to women were ludicrous, but he also thought that some scandals were best avoided. Battles had to be chosen carefully. However, it didn’t stop you from huffing at Jimin as you climbed inside, Ji Eun following behind you.

Since the small group that you were going with had set out not long before dawn to make good time, there was not much activity going on as you passed through the capital. It made for a very dull ride. Ji Eun was dying to hear more about Jin, but neither of you dared discuss such a topic where so many people could overhear your conversation. To your chagrin, Jin was riding in front of the carriage and you were deprived of seeing him in that position. Halfway through the journey you were joined by Jimin, who provided a welcome breath of air as he told tales of his past journeys and joked about, even though many of them were at your expense.

Buildings rolled past with Jimin providing the occasional commentary about parts of the capital you hadn’t visited and about the town you were heading to, but he soon ran out of things to say. The houses and buildings that you’d seen had been interesting to look at in the beginning, slowly declining in size and majesty as you moved away from the castle, but gradually became constant in grandeur, the lack of change making things monotonous. You fought the urge to ask Jimin how much longer it would take to get there, knowing that he would never let you hear the end of it if you’d say anything remotely childish.

The journey must have felt longer than it really was because it was only late morning when you arrived. People were already busy preparing for the celebration, and a small group was ready to welcome your party. Jin managed to flash you a quick smile before he joined the rest of the men who went off in different directions to help with the preparations, most of them already used to these sort of visits. Another man, slightly shorter than Jin also grinned at you as he passed by. You were surprised at his forwardness, but gave him a polite smile in return. Ji Eun, on the other hand, was promptly herded off to one of the kitchens to lend a hand with the upcoming feast.

At first you felt lost, clueless as to what you can do to contribute, but a young woman quickly stepped next to you and suggested that you help her with the flower arrangements. You followed her into the town hall, glad to receive a task that y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter