Eight

Libero's Way to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook wasn’t sure what was happening at the moment. Their team wasn’t exactly in a pinch, so he had no idea why Yoongi called for a time-out. Things were looking fine and they kept scoring consistently one at a time. On top of that, they had a huge lead – more than ten points ahead. Winning the first set didn’t seem that difficult. So why?

Coach Bang formed a T with his hands towards the referee who directly blew the whistle and also formed a T to announce a time-out. Hana High used their first time-out for the first set – each team was only allowed for two time-outs in each set. All the players – including Jungkook and the other benchwarmers – circled around Coach Bang at the bench.

“What is it, Yoongi? Is there a problem?” Coach Bang asked.

Yoongi kept his poker face. “I want to ask something to Jimin.” He turned to face the first-year setter. “Why didn’t you toss the ball to me?”

Jimin also didn’t show any expression on his face. “I won’t toss to the player who plays volleyball by himself,” he answered, his voice stern.

“Hey, don’t say that, Jimin. Apologize to him now,” Namjoon quickly ordered, but Jimin persistently stayed silent and he didn’t seem like he would take back his words.

Jungkook gulped nervously. Jimin really had got a nerve to speak to his upperclassman like that. This would turn out pretty bad if Yoongi couldn’t take what the younger one had said nicely. And Jungkook thought that’s what would most likely happen at the moment as he saw the slight change of expression on the ace’s face.

Ignoring the fact that they only had thirty seconds in a time-out, Yoongi said in a low tone, “Come with me.” As if they weren’t in a middle of a game, he leisurely strode out of the gym.

Jimin didn’t even hesitate and followed Yoongi outside. The people at the bleachers started murmuring, wondering what was happening with Hana High’s team. Even Sejong High’s team was looking at them while they were supposed to be having their own time-out to talk about strategies and things, too.

“You two, come back here,” Seokjin called, but it’s no use. The two of them paid no attention to him and disappeared from sight.

After Yoongi and Jimin left the gym, Coach Bang approached the referee, assumedly informing that there’s a dispute between the team members and asking for more time. He also deeply bowed to apologize to the other team and the referee.

Taehyung exclaimed in panic, “Someone, please stop them!”

Jungkook hadn’t expected that the one who would volunteer to do that was Hyewon. As if on cue, she dashed to the exit and followed the two. That was really reckless and stupid thing for her to do. Did she think she could stop the fight by herself?

What an idiot!

Clicking his tongue in annoyance, Jungkook rushed outside the gym, trying to catch up with her and stop her before she could do anything rash. Good for him, he found her standing by the side of the building before she stepped in between Yoongi and Jimin who seemed to be having a heated argument.

Yoongi suddenly grabbed Jimin’s collar and roughly pushed him against the wall. Jungkook could sense Hyewon’s body tense beside him and she took a step forward, trying to stop them. Jungkook gently grasped her wrist and tugged her closer to him. When she gave him a questioning look, demanding an explanation, he simply shook his head. He then let go of Hyewon’s wrist and quietly watched Jimin and Yoongi from a distance.

“I told you to toss every ball to me!” Yoongi barked angrily.

Jimin calmly replied, letting himself being pushed against the wall, “I already said that I won’t toss to the player who plays volleyball by himself.”

“I’m the ace! It’s the ace’s job to score!”

This time, Jimin lost his cool and snorted. “The one who is acknowledged by everyone is the ace! And I will never acknowledge you!”

Yoongi was so close to landing a punch on Jimin’s face when suddenly Jungkook heard the coach roar, “Enough! Both of you!”

Jungkook and Hyewon whirled around to find the coach and the rest of the team were already standing behind them.

With a calmer tone, Coach Bang continued, “We’re in the middle of a game and as a volleyball player, if you want to say something, say it through your play. If you still want to continue playing, get back inside this instant!”

Jimin pushed Yoongi so harshly that the older one stumbled. The first-year silently went back into the gym with Taehyung close behind him. Yoongi clenched his fists and looked away.

“Yoongi, you’re not playing alone,” Coach Bang said. “Volleyball is a team sport. That’s why there are six people on the court.” And he went back inside with the rest of the team besides Namjoon.

The captain added, his tone firm, “No matter how angry you are, violence is never the answer.”

Yoongi growled, “Whatever. As long as that kid plays setter, I’m not playing.”

Cursing under his breath, Yoongi went into the gym and a few seconds later he came back out, carrying his bag. Without even excusing himself, Yoongi walked away, leaving Sejong High.

Namjoon approached Jungkook and Hyewon and said apologetically, “I’m sorry that this happens right after you both joined the club. You don’t need to worry. The upperclassmen will do something about this. We’ll make sure Yoongi comes back.” He smiled and tapped Jungkook’s shoulder, showing his dimples. “After all, we need our ace to win Inter-High Preliminaries.”

Following the other players, Namjoon also went back into the gym, leaving Jungkook and Hyewon alone.

Jungkook used this chance to talk to Hyewon about her reckless behavior. She was the type of person who thought before taking action. So what she’d just done wasn’t like her at all. “Hyewon, why did you just run off by yourself like that?”

Sighing, Hyewon said, “I don’t know myself. I just thought that I should do something as a manager. And since I’m not good at any managerial works, I thought that I should at least be able to stop that fight. Sorry, I didn’t think much and I almost made it worse than it already was.”

So, that’s what she’s thinking? Jungkook cracked a smile. If that’s the case, then there should be no problem. Hyewon just sincerely wanted to help the team and she herself already knew well what she’d done wrong.

“It’s okay, but remember this: if something like this happens again in the future, call someone for help. You can call me, too, if you’re reluctant to ask the upperclassmen. Don’t solve it by yourself. Try to rely on others. We’re all on the same team, right?” Jungkook cocked his head slightly towards the gym’s entrance. “We should probably get back inside now before Coach Bang comes back here.”

 

 

As she was heading towards their team’s bench, Hyewon remembered yesterday when Jungkook had thanked her for always bringing him back to his senses whenever he started to think stupid things. She wanted to laugh at how ironic that was. Today, it was the other way round. Hyewon had been the one thinking stupid things and Jungkook had been the one bringing her back to her senses.

All of the players were surrounding the coach as he was briefing them about the current situation. Hyewon and Jungkook joined them right when Coach Bang announced which players would continue playing the game.

“I’ll substitute Yoongi with Minjae and Jimin with Bogum,” Coach Bang informed. “I hope both of you are already done warming up.”

Hyewon could understand the first substitution, but she didn’t get the second one. Why was Jimin being substituted? Unlike Yoongi, Jimin was here and she could see that he wanted to continue playing. However, she knew the coach would definitely explain why and she believed in his decision.

“Jimin,” Coach Bang began. “I’m sure you know that as a setter, you should communicate with the spikers and work together to attack. You’ve failed to do that with Yoongi. Cool off at the bench for the rest of this set. I’ll send you back to the court in the second set.”

“Yes, Coach,” Jimin muttered.

Jimin’s body was shaking with anger. Instead of being angry with the coach’s decision, he seemed to be extremely mad with himself. Sitting on the bench, he took a towel and put it over his head, obscuring his f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter