Four

Libero's Way to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Gather up!” Namjoon clapped his hands once to get everyone’s attention.

Jungkook was in the middle of practicing his serve receives with Jimin who did basic overhand serves – Hoseok’s jump serves were still too hard for him to handle – when Namjoon had announced the end of afternoon practice. Glancing at the clock, he realized it was a few minutes past six. Time flew so fast whenever he played volleyball.

Two hours are not enough, Jungkook thought disappointedly. He wanted to practice more. He wanted to quickly catch up and close the gap between his skills and theirs.

Reluctantly, Jungkook dropped the volleyball he’s holding and followed the others to gather around the coach. The managers and the teacher also joined them. It’s time for post-practice briefing.

Coach Bang started, “This team is not weak. I can guarantee that. So be more confident when you play.” Much to Jungkook’s relief, Coach Bang wasn’t that strict when it's not practice session.

“Yes, Sir,” the whole team answered.

“Today is April 9th. Inter-High Preliminaries in Seoul begins on June 3rd. It’s less than two months from now. There are a few things you need to work on in order to get better.”

Less than two months! Jungkook’s heart pounded in excitement. His desire to actually play in an official match was uncontainable. But first, he had to be a starting member to be able to start each game. The coach had said that because there were only twelve members in the club, everyone had automatically became a first-string member. The most significant difference was who would get to play and who would only sit on the bench.

Coach Bang paused before evaluating every player. “Setters, especially Bogum, try to make use of the other wing spikers and decoys. Don’t only toss to the ace. Also organize the tempo of your attacks. Communicate with the other players. Middle blockers, especially Joohyuk, don’t slack off. Run and block with all your might. Be a decoy that can confuse the opponents. Wing spikers, try to spike through the opponents’ blocks, don’t let them slam the ball down and score. Blockout is fine, too.”

Jungkook tried to recall what a blockout was because it sounded familiar. And he remembered when he’d seen a volleyball match on TV, the commentator had said the term. Blockout was when a ball goes out-of-bounds right after touching a blocker, resulting in a point for the attacking side.

Turning to face Jungkook, Coach Bang sighed and continued, “And you, if only you can utilize your great reflexes to receive the balls properly, you can be a decent libero. Contact the ball on your forearms and keep your both arms together when passing it. Use your knees and arms to push through the ball. Position yourself so that the ball hits both arms with equal force so you can aim and hit it correctly.”

Nodding silently, Jungkook was extremely frustrated with himself. He knew well that it’s not that easy to be good in sports. Even so, he wanted to get better fast. He needed more practice.

Teacher Lee added, “I’ve scheduled a practice match with Sejong High School this Saturday at eight in the morning. We’ll depart from school at half past seven. So gather here at seven.”

“To determine the starting line-up for the practice match with Sejong High, I’ll hold an intrasquad practice match this Friday. Last year’s starting line-up versus the rest of the team.” Smiling ever so slightly, Coach Bang said, “Bring me to Nationals this year.”

At this point, Jungkook started to regret why he hadn’t played volleyball earlier. If he had, there would be a higher chance for him to be a starting member. With his current ability, he doubted the coach would choose him to play for the team soon.

“Yes, Sir!” the team shouted excitedly.

It was supposed to be the end of the briefing, but Joohyun seemed to have something more to say. So they all waited and paid attention to her. She handed out practice uniform to Jungkook and black tracksuits with soft pink details to both Jungkook and the first-year girl.

“We have a new manager,” Joohyun announced.

The girl from yesterday stepped forward and loudly said, “My name is Go Hyewon. First year, class 3. I’ve never joined a club, so I might not be good at being a manager. But I’m confident that I’m good at studying.”

“Question!” Taehyung raised his hand. “What does studying have to do with being a manager?”

The new manager’s face reddened at Taehyung’s remark, followed by the members’ laughter. Taehyung seemed to not understand what was going on, but he laughed along with them, anyway. Jungkook also couldn’t help but snicker. He felt bad to embarrass her further and covered his mouth with the back of his hand, although he knew it’s not helping.

The other one thing Jungkook liked about this club was the members’ friendliness. They made new members felt welcome the moment they joined. He took a glance at Yoongi who had been quiet the whole time. Well, everybody except one.

So her name is Hyewon? She ends up joining after all, Jungkook thought as his gaze was back at Hyewon, the corners of his mouth turned upwards. Apparently, it had been a good idea for him to get her to watch him play.

Namjoon cleared his throat to attract everyone’s attention. “Let’s clean up and get changed.” He went to pick up some balls and throw them into the volleyball cart. “We’ll go to Seokjin’s cafe for the welcome party of the new members.”

Jungkook wasn’t sure at what he’d just heard. “Huh? Welcome party?” Hadn’t they just had their welcome party the day before?

Hoseok approached Jungkook and gave him a mop, tapping his back a few times with an annoying, wide grin. “Thanks to a certain someone, yesterday’s welcome party was canceled.”

“I said I’m sorry,” Jungkook mumbled, starting to mop the floor together with Taehyung and Jimin. He’d expected Hoseok’s sarcasm, but it was still irritating.

Mopping the floor had always been the first-years’ task. Hoseok had said it’s something about Hana High Volleyball Club’s tradition. But Jungkook doubted that it’s the truth when Hoseok had been the one saying it.

“Hurry up, first-years! Or we’ll leave you behind!” Hoseok chirped, exiting the gym to get changed in the club room.

Jungkook was now convinced that Hoseok was just messing around with them.

 

Namu Cafe – the cafe owned by Seokjin’s family – was not far from their school. They got there only after a few minutes’ walk. This vintage-themed cafe wasn’t that spacious, but it was considerably cozy. Whether it was because warm welcome from Seokjin’s mother or the pleasant smell of the coffee, the cafe felt like home.

All of the members besides Yoongi took part in the party and they couldn’t do anything about it.

“So, you two are from Dankook Middle School, right?” Seokjin asked Taehyung and Jimin as soon as they took their seats at the corner of the cafe. “Its volleyball team is a powerhouse of Busan. If both of you were starting members there, that means you’ve played in the Nationals. I’ve been wondering, what made you choose this school?”

Starting members of a powerhouse school? A chill went down Jungkook’s spin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter