One

Libero's Way to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Five minutes left, Hyewon thought, growing impatient as she looked at her wristwatch. Time seemed to slow down when she’s listening to her homeroom teacher, Teacher Yoo, reminding students to submit their club application forms to their desired clubs.

It’d been a week since her first day of high school and every club offered a week trial before first-year students could officially join. Which meant, starting from today, they could become official members of their respective clubs. Hyewon had never joined any clubs before, so she couldn’t care less. Her teacher went on further to explain the importance of after-school clubs, so she just tuned out.

It’s just a club. Annoyed, Hyewon diverted her attention back to her notebook instead. Reviewing mathematics was even more interesting than listening to a useless speech about clubs.

While the students were discussing to each other about which club they wanted to join, Hyewon was studying diligently. It’s not that she loved to study, but she believed that studying was the only thing she had to do in school. It’s her only responsibility as a student. As long as she had good grades, nothing else mattered. That’s how she’d been taught since she’d been small.

Why would you waste your time on stupid clubs that won’t help your grades when you can use that time for studying? Just study well and you’re good, her mother had told her. And Hyewon believed it’s true. Being in clubs wouldn’t improve her academic skills.

Hyewon thought it’d be better if she used that time to take a nap. Taking a nap after school was the best feeling ever. She would wake up feeling refreshed and studying would become way easier. Although, she gradually found that high school life was really boring with her repetitive daily routines – sleep, school, study, sleep.

Finally.

Right after five minutes, the bell rang, announcing the end of school. All the students thanked Teacher Yoo before he left the class. Hyewon was about to put her notebook back into her backpack when the girl sitting in front of her turned to face her.

“Have you decided which club you’ll be joining?” Nayeon asked excitedly, holding her club application form in her hand. “I’m joining cheerleading club. I’ve seen them perform at their trial practice and they’re awesome!”

Nayeon is beautiful. She’ll fit well as a cheerleader, Hyewon thought as she looked at her friend. Nayeon was the first person who had talked to her at the first day of school. Beautiful and friendly. She’s perfect.

“Cheerleading, huh? I think you’ll be a regular pretty soon.” Hyewon stared at her own blank club application form that was tucked in her math notebook. “I’m not going to participate in a club.”

“You think so? Yay!” Nayeon paused before continuing, “Why won’t you? It’ll be fun!”

“It’s just not my thing.”

“Oh, really? That’s too bad.”

Hyewon took one last look at her club application form and then she shrugged, finally putting her math notebook into her backpack. She was sliding her arms through the shoulder straps when Nayeon tapped her shoulder with her eyes focused on the back of the class. Hyewon followed her gaze and found that Nayeon was staring at a boy who was sleeping at his desk.

What is his name again? Hyewon tried to recall his name, but nothing came up. It’s the boy who’s always asleep at class, isn’t it?

“What is it, Nayeon?” Hyewon asked, her eyes back on Nayeon.

“Jungkook.” Nayeon’s eyes were still on him. “It’s such a shame that we don’t get to talk to him that much at class. Don’t you think he’s handsome?”

So his name is Jungkook? Hyewon directed her gaze back to him again. A boy from another class came into their class and shook Jungkook awake, shouting you’ll be late for club activities. And then he dragged Jungkook out of the class with him, joining another boy who was already waiting for them by the doorway.

“Not really,” Hyewon answered when the three boys were out of her sight. “He always sleeps at class every day and I don’t find that attractive.”

“He must be in a sport club.” Nayeon offered an explanation. “Sport clubs usually have morning practices. I guess it’s basketball. Or maybe soccer.” She then sighed. “Dating a handsome basketball or soccer player is every girl’s dream. He would be really popular if he’s a bit friendlier.”

Morning practices? Such a hassle. “Well, whatever. I’m going home first. You have club activities starting from today, right? See you tomorrow.”

Hyewon stood up and waved at Nayeon before exiting the class. She took a close look at her surrounding while she walking down the hallway. Hana High School was fairly new – it’d been built three years ago – so the building was modern and simple with wooden floor and many glass windows. But the design wasn’t that much different from other new schools and the size wasn’t that big.

There’s no particular reason as to why Hyewon had chosen Hana High. People would have expected a smart girl like her to choose one of the schools with the best academics in Seoul, but instead of that, she’d enrolled in a school with low academic performances.

Probably, the reason was because Hana High was close to her house. Probably, it was because of its pretty uniform – white collared shirt; cherry blossom pink tie with black stripes if you’re a first-year, white stripes if you’re a second-year, and gold stripes if you’re a third-year; cr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter