EP3 Your Name?

The King's Love Letters

It was a quiet morning in the palace and there Hyeran was still tossing and turning on her bed; she had not been able to sleep at all during the night. It was not because the bedroom the King had provided for her was uncomfortable, it was not the silk bedspread she was given, it was not the quietness around the palace. Her insomnia was due to her actions last night towards the Crown Prince. She had not seen him in a long time and wanted to impress him but she had not realized her mocked him right there and then. Hyeran sat up kicking her legs like a child on her bed.

“Stupid, stupid.” She hits her head with her hands. Just then there was a knock at her door.


“Hyeran-ah, It’s Hansung.” His voice calls from behind the doors.

“Come in.” She says still sad and embarrass at herself. The door opens and Hansung comes insides, if it was any other girls Hansung would not dare to enter but this was Hyeran they grew up together and were practically family.

“You look terrible.” Hansung smiles crossing his arms and looking at the girl with long messy hair sitting with her legs spread like a child on her bed.

“I feel terrible.” She looks down letting her hair fall to cover her face.

“It’s not often I get to see your hair down.” He chuckles and comes sits towards the foot of the bed. “You’re so pretty.” He pinches her cheek to make her look up.

“Yah.” She slaps his hand away. “What do you want so early?” She hisses at him.

“Early?” Hansung shakes his head. “It’s nearly 11:30a.m. dummy.” Hyeran looks at him shock and groans messing her hair up like a madman. Why couldn’t she do anything right.

“Anyways, I need you to do me a favor.” Hansung says with a huge grin on his face that made Hyeran feel uneasy.

“What?” She looks at him suspiciously.

“Well remember that time I saved your from getting eaten alive by the wolves?” Hansung says puffing out his chest proudly. “You said you owe me and well now is time to pay up.”

“Fine what is it?” She crosses her arms. The event took place when they were both 15 years old. They had wonder off too far from their military site and gotten lost. They had argued about which direction to take and eventually went different ways. Hyeran had gotten lost down towards the canyons when she was confronted by a pack of wolves. Hyeran says she could have handle the 6 wolves but it was Hansung who shot his bow and arrow at the wolves when they suddenly jumped towards Hyeran who was able to fend off one wolf only. She appreciated and was thankful up until Hansung wouldn’t up about it and always reminded her about who saved her life and all.

“I’ve been order to go outside for a while today.” Hansung starts. “And well....”

“Yea?” Hyeran says when Hansung pauses.

“I need you to be Jeonha’s fishing buddy.” Hansung smiles shrugging up his shoulder.

“WHAT!?” Hyeran tosses the blanket aside then precedes to grabs hold of the collar on Hansung’s robe.

“Yah, this is very important and you owe me.” Hansung pulls her hands off and she slowly lets go falling back onto the bed on her back dramatically. “ Ahh....” Hansung nudges her legs with a whiny kid tone.

“No.” She says with a heavy and lazy breath.
 

“I’ll never mention the wolves thing EVER AGAIN.’ Hansung stands up smoothing his uniform.

“Never ever?” Hyeran turns her face to his direction.

“Never ever.” Hansung nods with a smile.

Just an hour later Hyeran finds herself standing behind a tree peeking at the Crown Prince fishing. The river was located a little ways behind the palace. She could see his horse tied to the tree and his guards roaming around the area. She had to hike up on foot and her feet were killing her when she found him sitting with his back facing her. WangEun sat on a big boulder with his fishing pole dangling in front of him into the slow moving river.

“Does he think he will catch a fish that way?” She shakes her head. Where he sat had too many rocks, he would need to move down the river towards the open and less rocky part of the river. She took a deep breath, fixed her long ponytail, and suddenly looks down at her clothes. Simple black attire...sometimes she wished she could wear a pretty hanbok but pants is her best friend and she can’t catch no fish with a hanbok.
 

WangEun sat alone cussing Hansung out for bailing on their fishing plans. He was busying cussing Hansung that he could not even bother fishing; he just had the string and rod in front of him. Just then he hears footsteps behind him, he rolled his eyes ready to whack Hansung with the rod.

“Yah if you—“ He stops when he sees Hyeran standing in front of him shock from him raising the rod in the air ready to strike. “W-what are you doing here?” he ask lowering the rod.

“Uh...I...Uh.” Hyeran looked around not sure what to say. Her right foot digging into the dirt ground.

“Spill it.” WangEun frowns. “Today you don’t know how to talk no more?” He lifts his nose in the air. Hyeran lower her head in shame biting her bottom lips.

“WangEun Saja, actually.” Hyeran glances up at him before looking back down. “Hansung asked me to come today.” WangEun looks at her suspiciously.

“Well, you can leave.” He turns back right away when she doesn’t say anything else. He throws his bait back in and sits down angrily.

“J-jeonha.” She whispers his name. “I don’t think you’re going to catch any fishes here.” She walks up to his side and points down to river.

“First you’re a fighting expert, now a fishing expert?” WangEun glares up at her.

“I....I just think over there would have more fishes.” She points to the clear waters with a large flat boulder island. “You can use those rock as stepping stones to get to the island and fish from there.” She smiles but suddenly looks down when WangEun stare at her as if she was stupid.

“I’ll fish here.” He shows her his fishing pole. “And you.” He picks up an extra pole laying on the ground shoving it into her arms. “You can fish over there.”

“J-Jeonha....” She looks at him in disbelief but still intimidated. “Okay.” She says sadly and walks dishearten to the island.

It was only a matter of time when suddenly Hyeran screams pulling her pole up and catching a fish from the river. She was excite and happy calling out to the Crown Prince. He excitedly stood up and looks at her but frowns and sat back down when he did not want to show any interest in her. He didn’t want to lose so he tosses his bait back into the river.

“Jeonha, I think there will be more fishes here.” She smiles waving the fish at him.

“Be quiet. You’re scaring the fishes away.” WangEun glares at her.

 

“Ah.” She nods gently hitting . She puts the fish into a little net and tosses her bait back in. Just like that she screams again when the fish took the bait. WangEun looks up and sees how happy she was. She was smiling widely with her eyes turning into crescent moons. Just then he smiles and when he realize he was smiling he hits his own lips.

“Ahhh!” Hyeran screams when she takes a wrong step on the rock that were covered in green moss.

“WHOAH!” WangEun runs to her but just then she catches her balance and she doesn’t fall. His heart was pounding and racing worried about her.

 

“I’m okay.” She smiles at him. He wrinkles his nose and steps slowly across the stones to her.

“W-What was your name again child?” He asks taking a leap to the flat rock.

“Ji Hyeran.” She says looking down.

“Well, Ji Hyeran..” He spoke baiting his hook. “ I’m only coming to fish here because I don’t want you falling into the river. Even if I am the Crown Prince I wouldn’t want Hansung to be worried or hate me for not helping you. Do you understand?” He looks up at her. “It’s totally not because you were catching fishes...okay?” He gives a small smile and throws his bait into the river.

 

“Yes I understand Jeonha.” Hyeran nods her head but kept her gaze down and sounds actually a little intimidated but once she turned around she smiled brightly and held back her giggle.

~


Hansung was to stake out near Lord YoungSil’s home to see whom he was inviting over and visiting. The King had always been skeptical of the Left Counselor’s loyalty. Even the King know he could not trust many and trust only Hansung, because he knew Hansung would never hurt the Crown Prince. Dressed in commoner clothing with a satgat Hansung hid behind the wooded area in front of the Lord’s home. Right then Lord YoungSil comes out of his home getting onto a carrier. Hansung casually follows them from behind towards town but stops when they reach the Kisaeng House, luckily it was across from an inn and small tavern and he dodges going to sit outside the tavern.

“It’s only noon, the Kisaeng House doesn’t open till 6 p.m.” Hansung mumbled to himself.

“Can I help you young man?” The elder working woman ask as she pass by handing a bottle of rice wine to other customers.

“A bowl of red bean porridge please.” Hansung smiles and sits more comfortably on the table as he watches Lord YoungSil get inside the House. Hansung slowly ate his porridge glancing up once in a while to see if Lord YoungSil came out.

“Young man, you should be eating meat and drinking but why are you only eating porridge?” The same woman asks wiping the table next to Hansung.

“You have the best red bean porridge in town.” Hansung smiles and it was the truth, he loved their red bean porridge it reminded him of his mother who has pass when he was 6 years old.

“Oh thank you.” She blushes when she sees his cute box smile. Right then from the corner of Hansung’s eyes he sees Lord YoungSil angrily comes out. He waits to see if anyone else was coming just as 7 minutes pass by a man in silk red robe comes out but his hat hid his face along with three men blocking Hansung’s view. Hansung paid for his food and rush after the men who seem to disappear into the thick crowd in town. He catches a glimpse of one of the men towards the old ironsmith shop. Making his way between people just as he was about to reach them someone grabbed his arm. There standing in front of him was a girl dress in silk, someone in a very much higher class then him. Her braided hairpin with flower jewels and a purple shear mask covering her nose and mouth. Her eyes were sharp and a light brown color you usually do not see. Hansung looks behind her as the man disappears again. He had no time just as he was about to remove her hand, her grip on him loosen and she falls forward to him.

“Y-Yah.” Hansung catches her with his arms under her arms lifting her back on her weak legs.

“C-c-cold.” She stutters weakly looking up at him before her eyes closes and her whole body weight falls.

“Ahgase?” He shakes her a little. “Get up.” He calls out to her. Hansung grabs her arms and tries to lift her up but he accidently touches her hand and she was freezing.

“Is she okay?” Someone asks.

“Who is she?”

“What’s wrong?”

“What are they doing?”

Hansung touches her face and she was so cold it surprises him making him jump. He lifts her fully into his arms and carries her, running her to the nearest clinic.

“YeonYi Ahgase?” One of the nurses says when she notices Hansung carrying her into the clinic. She recognizes YeonYi and her purple mask because she was the one who prepare the medicines and sent them for YeonYi.
 

“Do you know her?” Hansung asks. “She’s freezing.”

“What is she doing out here?” She asks but leads Hansung into a room with a bed and medicine cabinet. “Who are you?”

“Can you help her first?” Hansung frowns at the woman. The nurse nods and removes the blanket letting Hansung lay YeonYi down. She covers YeonYi and check’s her pulse.

“Can you go grab the fire pot right outside and bring in here next to the bed and light it up.” She says quickly. “I need to warm a bath for her now.” She says leaving.

 

Hansung follows her order even if he thought she was crazy since it was already hot that day. He lights the big pot and watches it warm up the room. He gently touches the girl’s hand and flinches back at how cold she was. Was she dead? He thought. Hansung lean down to her and tries to see if she was still breathing just then the door burst open scaring him.

“Everyone left to help at the charity event with the Queen, can you help carry her?” The nurse asks grabbing spare towels on the table.

 

“Uh, yea sure.” Hansung lifts her into his arms again and follows the nurse. They enter a room that was steaming hot, Hansung found it hard to breathe.

“Gently lay her in the tub.” The nurse orders him as she stuck more firewood into a burner in the room. He follows her orders again and places her slowly into the tub allowing the warm water to soak her clothes onto her body. His face feels hot and he turns away while still holding her up.

“Thank you.” The nurse says placing a hot towel on the girl’s forehead. Hansung lets her go as the nurse fixes her to lay completely still on her own. She unmasks the girl and presses the hot towels on the girl’s face. Hansung was in awe, she was beautiful, she was stunning, and Hansung felt the wind knock out of him. Her lips had a rosey tint and her eye lashes were long and thick “Ehrm.” The nurse clears side eyeing the boy. “You may step outside BUT do not leave.” She firmly says.

“I actually—“

“Do not leave.” She shoots him a glare so intense that Hansung nods quickly and steps out.

After about 15 minutes the nurse calls Hansung back in. The girl was lays on a small bed next to the tub, had been dry and redress into a white gown. Hansung picks her up into his arms and brings her back into the first room they had enter earlier. After he places her down and fixes the blanket over her, Hansung watches the nurse add more coals into the fire pot.

“Why was she with?” The nurse asks while setting new coals into the pot.

 

“I....”

“Who are you?” She cuts him off blowing into the pot.

“I was just walking around in the market and she bumped into me then fainted.” He crosses his arms getting annoyed at the nurse’s attitude.

“Well that answers my first question.” She stands up and walks to pour some tea into a cup. “And my second question?”

“I’m just a commoner.” He shrugs.

“This Ahgase wouldn’t be in the market.” She clears and offers the tea to Hansung. “Sit.” She gesture him to sit at the round table and chair in the room. Hansung sits down and accepts the warm tea.

“What’s wrong with her?” He asks sipping the tea but then suddenly tugs his robe’s collar. It was getting too warm in the room.

“Don’t worry about it.” She says and gives him a small fake smile.

“I should at least know since I did help bring her in.” He now gave her a fake small smile.

“Well...actually I don’t even know how to explain it to you. I’ve never seen anyone like this before.” She gives deep sigh. “She’s just a very ill person.”

“I’m sorry to hear.” Hansung looks at the girl and his heart sunk. She is young how can she be ill he thought to himself. “I have to get going now.” He stands up and gives the nurse a bow.

“What is your name?” She asks. “Our Ahgase is a sweet person I know she will pester me to tell her who has helped her.”

“I...um...my name is Ji Jaeha.” Hansung scratches the back of his neck. He was never good with names.

“Well then, thank you Ji Jaeha.” She bows.
 

Hansung took his leave but not before glancing at the poor girl one last time.