EP1 Butterfly

The King's Love Letters




“Hansung!” The cheerful Crown Prince calls for his best friend while laughing and pointing at the butterfly kite up high in the blue sky. The whether was chilly, it gave you a pink nose and ears after a while of being outside; but to Crown Prince it was warm enough to fly his kite for three hours. WangEun, the Crown Prince dress in his royal silk blue robe did not mind the whether at all, he was just happy pulling his kite in the sky. The first hour was just WangEun flying the kite on his own and the second hour he insist racing Hansung to see who could fly their kite higher, and the last hour till now WangEun has been trying to make it go up as high as he could.

The paper butterfly kite was made especially just for the Crown Prince with the finest papers in Joseon. The kite was painted in gold, blue, white, and yellow butterfly design, it also carry a long rainbow paper tassel that dance below while up in the air.

“See, it’s higher then before!” WangEun proudly stuck up his chest at Hansung would only chuckle back at his friend. Hansung was dress in a simple red robe uniform with a sword in one hand at all times. He sat on a small boulder and watches the Crown Prince. “I bet I can make it go higher!” WangEun made a fist and starts to run forward to pick up speed. He unrolls the string more and more keeping his eyes up at the kite only.

“Be careful!” Hansung shouts at WangEun getting up from his seat. WangEun did not hear his friend; all he was thinking about was getting the kite higher. Keeping his head up, WangEun trips on the rose brushes along the road to the pound in his secret garden.

“Ahhh!” WangEun falls on to both knees and hands crying in pain.

“Jeoha!( Your Highness
)” Hansung rushes to his side helping the Crown Prince up.

“My kite!” WangEun gets up only to his knees when he points up at the kite that’s being blown away. He points to the kite and pouts as it fly above pass his garden high above the woods behind his residence in the palace.

“Are you okay?” Hansung ask lifting WangEun’s sleeves and dusting dirt off WangEun’s knees.

“My kite...” WangEun watches his kite disappear further and further into the sky out of his sight. Even though the Crown Prince was older by three years, because of how spoil he was brought up and living his life in the Palace made him rather more immature. He grew up just playing around up until his father announced him as the Crown Prince.

“You can get a new kite, but if you get a scratch on your I am dead.” Hansung crosses his arms.

“Yah, who will kill you?” WangEun looks at his best friend. “As long as I am alive no one will dare touch a single strand of hair on your head.” He smiles widely. “You be nice to me or off with your head.” He laughs.

“Jeoha, it is time for your study.” A short man dress in a green robe with a black hat announced approaching the two young men. WangEun scrunches his nose at the man. That man was WangEun’s personal Eunuch Kim, the middle age man who has been taking care of WangEun ever since he could read and write. His real job was to help the Crown Prince study but he became a friend and a personal butler that WangEun could bully around. He was a round man with friendly features and squeaky voice.

“No.” WangEun protest and hides himself behind Hansung.

“Jeoha.” Eunuch Kim pleads. WangEun looks behind Kim and see all his maids and butler already in line ready to follow his every movement and step. WangEun sighs. “Jeonha, you’re 24 years old already, please focus on your study.” He looks at the ground sad. The Crown Prince was never into studying and he got a lot of scolding from his mother. He never study which surprised his brother, mother and nearly everyone in the palace when the King throne him as Crown Prince. WangEun’s mother firstly cried in fear of her son’s safety because she knew all too well what happens to a Crown Prince when no one is backing him up. Till now not WangEun or anyone has fully understood why the King chose him as the successor.

 

“Please let’s go now.” Eunuch Kim bows his head at the Crown Prince. “Your father will be coming in today to check your study.”

“Ah, I don’t want to.” WangEun stomps the dirt ground and comes out from behind Hansung. “Oh my head hurt.” He rubs his temple making Kim look up worry.

 

“Jeoha, I beg you.” He bows again thinking back to earlier in the morning when the King himself called him into the King’s chamber to lecture him about WangEun’s studies. “The King has says he will find a Crown Princess soon so you need to study and prepa—“ Eunuch Kim stops and slaps his own mouth.

“What!?” WangEun steps closer to Kim. “What did you say? C-Crown Princess?” WangEun turns to Hunsung in disbelief.

~

“The King is looking for a Crown Princess?” A young beautiful woman dress in silk asks her husband who looks much older with a white beard and hair sitting across from her in their bedroom. He doesn’t speak back but looks frustrated as he rest his arm on the pillow armrest. The woman scoots closer to his desk between them. “Is that right, honey?” She asks again.

“Yes.” He finally answers solemnly. “He just announced it today during the meeting. Her husband sighs.

“What if—“ She began but was cut off by him.

“Oh ho!” He stops her from speaking. He glares up at his young wife. “Don’t you even dare.”

“Yah, will you be a mere Ministry of Work forever only?” She crosses her arms and stuck her nose up in the air at him. “You’re still just a dog for the higher rank. When will you ever be more powerful huh?” She curses him. “Your daughter is not going to get any younger, she’s in her prime.” She smirks. He glares up at her and slams his hand on the desk making her jump.

“My youngest daughter is—“

“She’s ill.” She cuts him off. “Honey! She may be a little ill, but you know she is beautiful, smart, and has perfect wife material qualities.” She smiles and says it with a tone that makes you unsure if she was complimenting or not. “You know no one is going to marry her so why not go for the Crown Prince. Take the risk and think about becoming in laws with the Royal family huh.” She smiles widely. “All the riches we will receive and special treatment if we become in laws.”

From outside their bed chamber’s door a girl dress in white and purple silk hanbok sat with her knees up to her chest. Her long black hair was braid in the back and decorated with flowers jaded pins. However she has a translucent
light purple silk cloth covering her nose and mouth tying at the back of her head. The girl wipes her tears that fell from her eyes before letting it stain her mask. She scoots away from the door and lets her legs dangle off the deck. She looks up taking a deep breath and sees a butterfly kite in the air. The rainbow tassel dances in the sky and makes her smile.

“YeonYi Agasshi (Young Lady/Miss)” A maid calls the young girl. “What are you doing out here? It’s cold you shouldn’t be out here.” She says. “Come lets get you inside your bedroom.” She smiles and reaches out for the girl, leading her down the hall.

~

“Father!” An excited girl jumping up and down rushes over the dirt road towards her father who was speaking with another man. He dress in black silver armor and waved the man off turning his full attention to his daughter. She’s running towards him waving a huge rabbit in the air. It was as big as her upper body.

“Wow. It’s huge.” He praises his daughter who handed him the giant rabbit.

“This little guy couldn’t out run me.” She smiles widely showing her crescent eye smile. Her father pats her back but suddenly frown. His beautiful daughter had dirt stain on her knees, arms, and cheeks. Sweats made her hair stick to her forehead and she wipes her nose playfully with her knuckles marking it with dirt. He always felt bad for his daughter because her mother pass away when she was so young. He always thought of remarrying to have a mother figure for her but he never could. He wanted to see her dress in silk and dresses but she always said she prefer the loose cotton commoner men hanbok with sleeveless jacket over. He smiles at his innocent daughter.

“Would you like to go to the city?” He asks staring down at his lovable daughter.

“City?” She looks confused. “You mean Hanyang?” Her eyes lights ups mentioning the big city.

“Of course we’ve been here at the border for so long.” He looks out at the vast land of tall brown grass. “The King has sent a notice to go back to the city.” He smiles at her.

 

“Really?” She smiles. “Really, really?” it has been 6 years since she’s been to the city. She is so excited just thinking about all the food and crowded markets. Most of all it’s been almost two year since she last seen...

“Hansung.” Her father mentions his name. “He says he will greet us by the main gate.”

She nods. “Appaji, I’m going to pack.” She leans down and kisses the rabbit in her father’s arm and quickly runs away.

Her father laughs. “We’re leaving in three days not tomorrow.” He shouts after her. She turns back sticking her tongue out at her father before running again. He takes a deep sigh and smiles. He was happiest with his daughter.

She arrives at her small chamber and opens her drawer. She looks at her clothes and shrugs before tossing them on top of a large blanket. She was ready to go all she needed was to tie up the blanket and toss it over her shoulders but she knows her father would scold. She walks to the window and opens it letting in fresh air. She looks at the horizon in front of her. The sun was setting with a glaze of orange and purple in the sky. Suddenly a blue butterfly flies into her room.

“Hello there.” She greeted the butterfly. She reaches out for it but it lands gently on top of her pile of clothes. She sits down in front of it and smiles. “I’m Hyeran.” She stuck out her hand and the butterfly slowly flies up to land on the palm of her hand. “I’m going to Hanyang.” She whispers in excitement as the butterfly flies off her before plunging herself into her pile of clothes. The butterfly flies out of her room and up into the sky.



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



author's note:
first of all please forgive me for grammar mistake and spellin errors, english is not my first langauge and I do not proof read before posting this up.
anyways tell me what you guys think of the first episode..its just a small intreoduction of each characters. thanks for reading. plz subscribe & comment!