Chapter Four

Mass Effect - DoD

Inho! Why were the voices so distant?

Hand me that vial!

Don't let him die!

I'm trying!! He swore he knew those voices.

He's faint, but I can keep him alive.

Inho can you hear me? Ugh, why wouldn't those voices stop. For a very brief moment, light flooded his otherwise dark vision. Beyond that he saw someone invading his sight, face covered by a medical mask. Who was this? Son, you need to fight through this and stay alive.

Stay...alive…?

The light was gone now. There was no other sounds, just quiet. He didn't feel like he had a body even. Just floating in the darkness...it was actually very peaceful...it only lasted a moment however.

The blinding light appeared once more as he slowly cracked his eyes open. Then the weight of his body came back, feeling heavy and sore. The slow beeping of a machine near him was the only constant sound in his world until he became aware of his heartbeat, then his breathing, and finally the hum in his ears as the rest of the ambient noise around him returned. Inho really just wanted his vision to clear. Where was he?

Feeling as if he'd been rudely awakened, he shut his eyes again, and tried to sit up.

“Ow,” he groaned, his back aching as if he'd been sleeping in a bad position for far too long. Pushing through it, he finished sitting up as much as he could, and tried opening his eyes once more. Much easier this time. The world, still a little too bright for his liking, came into view. His first sight was of a medical console directly in front of him, showing vitals of the patient it was hooked up to. He'd never seen one this advanced before.

He was in a hospital room. Looking down at himself, he was clad in a nothing sans the blankets now pooled around his waist. Numerous tiny scars littered his torso, one long one on his left arm, and feeling his neck there was one close to where his spine met his skull. Speaking of his skull, the dull pain of having either been sleeping too long or perhaps just hanging upside down a little longer than he'd like was there. Honestly he felt like hell.

The arm attached to the hand on his neck had two tubes hooked up to it. One tube had blood clearly. The other was a blue liquid he was unfamiliar with. Looking at the vital signs on the console, it was obvious now they were for him. Why was he in the hospital? And more importantly, which hospital was he at? He'd been to the one on the citadel quite a few times, so this clearly wasn't there. His last memory was of that man throwing him through the window and the pain…

Considering the pain he remembered, Inho supposed the discomfort he was in at the moment was of little consequence. How had he survived that?

“You got very, very lucky is how,” a female voice said in response to what he thought had been his internal monologue. A woman came into his view, checked the console, and then came to his side to check the tubes, “how are you feeling? Do you know who you are?” He nodded mutely, “Good. I'll go get the doctor and see about getting these tubes out.” Before Inho could ask any other questions, she had already walked off.

He didn't have to wait alone for very long though.

“Out of my way!”

“Sir you can't-”

“Move!”

“Wait, only one can-!”

He turned to face the door and a moment later Hanjin and Daebak came sprinting in. Daebak whooped in relief and rushed to his side, and Inho grunted in a little discomfort when he hugged him tightly.

“You're awake! We were worried!!”

“Let him go!” Hanjin pried the larger man off Inho, “He's awake, not fully recovered.”

“Recovered?”

“I'm going to tell Hugo! Be back later!” Despite his protest, Daebak hugged Inho one last time, and then was running out, nearly knocking over the lady from before who cursed at him for being a lout.

“Recovered?” Inho shot Hanjin a questioning glance.

“Oh man,” Hanjin laughed and slumped down into a seat next to the bed before reaching out and giving Inho's hand a squeeze, “you don't even know.”

“What happened?”

“After you were thrown out, Yoonshik came out of nowhere and that other guy ran off. He called him James.”

“And after…?”

“We went out there to find you and...and you tough bastard, you were still alive. I don't know how but even with a broken neck you were still alive,” Hanjin sighed a little shakily, “Hyuk somehow got you stable enough to get you on the ship but we were sure you were going to die anyways,” Inho hadn't seen Hanjin look this shaken in a long time, “but we picked up a few of the surviving scientists from the lab. One said he could help you. We got you to Hanshan, and then-”

“I got you stable enough to come here,” A man in a doctor's uniform was the source of the voice, having come into view, “we're on Illium. I work on an experimental medical facility here. You lot saved my . The least I could do was help you out. You're lucky. It only took two months for you to wake up-”

“Two months?!”

“Yes,” the doctor motioned to the blue liquid, “highly toxic, probably could have killed you, but it worked. This is littered with Asari antibodies and nanomachines. It's never been used on a human before, but we had little to lose in your case. It repaired the damage we couldn't with surgery, but I wouldn't recommend doing it again. It almost killed you numerous times. Hold still,” with careful moves, he removed the tubes, applying some pressure to the wounds before layering a bit of medigel on it to stop the bleeding, “I owe Hugo some big favors, so you're lucky I was there, and you were on his crew.”

“I'll be back this evening. If you're doing well, I'll release you to your captain's care,” the doctor paused once by the door, looking a little amused, “just...try not to make too much contact with others too long for a few days. I've seen this stuff give Asari the ability to meld memories with a touch. I don't think you want everyone knowing your dirty secrets.” He laughed when Hanjin immediately removed his hand from Inho's.

“Two...whole...months?” Inho muttered once the doctor was gone, still in disbelief, “you...we've been here two months?”

“Yeah,” Hanjin stared at the door for a long moment before continuing, “C-Sec knows the situation. Since the drop didn't happen, and with the footage I sent them...they want us here longer until we can figure out what's happening,” for a moment Hanjin looked troubled by his words but he continued, “Bongpal specifically said your accident was probably a good thing...get's us good in with the crew.”

“Ha, of course he did,” Inho scoffed a little bitterly, “so now what? We just wait until someone tells us what the hell is in the boxes? Do they really think they'll keep us around? We're hired 'guns', not new crewmen.”

“Well...the doctor wasn't wrong. Hugo pulled a lot of strings to get you here...and...he may have offered me and you a permanent stay if we wanted,” Hanjin laughed a little at the look Inho was sure he'd given him, “I know, I know! Not ideal career paths, but we'll get the info we need, and be back home before you know it! Anyhow, I told him you'd need to wake up before we decided.”

Somehow, Inho didn't like the way that sounded when Hanjin vocalized it to the universe like that. Part of him figured this was all too convenient. Surely Hugo or the doctor had ulterior motives…

“YOU TOUGH TIT!” Jeongha's exuberant voice shouted, making both Hanjin and Inho jump. The pilot, joined by Daebak, had entered the room, all smiles and laughter, “I knew you'd wake up!”

“You were saying a few days ago when I found you, you thought he'd die-”

“Sshhht!” Jeongha raised a hand to silence Daebak, “when are they letting you out, bro?” Hanjin raised a brow in interest at Jeongha's words, “We've been stuck here waiting for you to get better. Once we know, we can plan our next destination.”

“We can get a Skald fish!”

“A what?”

“Daebak has this obsession with a fish around here. Everywhere we go, he has to eat a fish from there,” Jeongha explained, “Though I'm telling you, there isn't a special fish on the Citadel.”

“That's not what I was told! Hyuk said-”

“There hasn't been any proof that there ISN'T a fish though,” Hugo's voice filtered in next. Mask on as ever, Inho was fully prepared to feel like he was being undressed by his stare again (not like he needed to be this time...where were his clothes? He hadn't had time to feel embarrassed yet, if at all). But this time, Hugo just looked, or at least as far as he could tell above the mask, relieved. He hadn't been expecting that.

“I'm glad the treatment worked,” he stood next to the bed, extending a hand out toward him. After Inho just looked at it for a moment, Hugo chuckled and took it in a firm shake, “if you and Hanjin hadn't been there, we'd be corpses back on Noveria.” Inho returned the grip and he swore he saw the smile in Hugo's eyes, “or I'd at least be down one friend,” Daebak nodded, looking thoroughly guilty from where he stood, “but here we are,” he nodded to Hanjin, “I've already told Hanjin, but you're both welcomed on the Fringe for as long as you like.”

“Uh...yeah...” Inho only had a moment to register the unknown glint of something in Hugo's eyes before there was a whoop, and he was being hugged by the giant again. And this time, it was practically a full body hug and Inho remembered again he was , and what the hell, why was Hanjin laughing at him that !

“At least let him get dressed before you go hugging all over the man!” Hanjin seemed far more amused than his words would belay.

“Oh, reminds me. Be right back,” Jeongha excused himself.

“Alright! All of you! Out of here!” The woman had returned, looking furious, “get out! This poor man needs rest before dealing with the rest of you yahoos. OUT.”

Hugo motioned for Daebak and Hanjin to follow him, holding his hands up in submission to the fuming lady. Daebak released Inho, smiled apologetically at the woman, and followed; Hanjin gave one final clap on Inho's shoulder, again looking relieved, before following as well. Before Inho could ask her to at least give him some underwear, she swanned out while muttering her annoyances under her breath.

“...is the dragon lady gone?” Jeongha peaked in, “she's been guarding you like a hawk.” Satisfied she was nowhere in sight, he came back into the room with some folded clothing in hand, “Hyuk sent this along with me. I forgot it in the waiting area.”

“Thanks,” he said gratefully.

“You better thank him. The last time he came, apparently you were in the stark and he got more of a view than he wanted,” Jeongha laughed at what he was sure was a mortified look Inho gave him, “hurry up and get better already,” and with that he handed the clothes to Inho. His hand brushed against Inho's for a moment during the handoff…

The implant is the newest prototype-

I'm sorry, the risk of removal is too high-

The headaches won't stop-

I swear I can still fly, just-

I'm sorry, we can't let you continue the training-

What am I even doing anymore-

Why am I even here-

Useless-

“Inho? Hey! Dude, you okay?” Jeongha waved a hand in front of his face. Inho blinked, and the voices stopped, “you blanked out there for a second. Feeling okay?”

“Uh...yeah. I'm fine. Just tired.”

“Alright. I'll come by tomorrow once Hugo tells us the plan. Rest up my friend!” He turned to leave, paused, and looked back at him, “and I'm glad you're okay. Cockpit's been lonely.” And off he went.

What even was that? He knew one of the voices was Jeongha's, but there were others littered in the echoes in his head. Inho looked down at his hand, still feeling some tingling from where his fingertips had touched Jeongha's hand.

“The hell…?”

 

Next Day…

 

The most vanilla of everyone in class-

I can do that! I can-

Why did he get that job-

I always wondered what this ship did-

Are you serious? You don't own me-

You can't just sell me, I'm not-

You're part of the package-

Betrayed-

Inho shook his head and ignored the tingle on his wrist from where Hyuk currently was checking his pulse. Again, more echoes of voices and one was definitely Hyuk's. What the hell was going on with him?

Despite being given a relatively clean bill of health by the doctor, Hugo still asked Hyuk to give Inho a quick once over when he got back to the Fringe. And thus, Inho found himself feeling like a mad man with the voices again. Hyuk smiled a little, looking pleased, heedless of the troubled expression on Inho's face.

“All good. You'll be back to shooting zombie Salarians in no time!”

“Ugh, don't remind me,” Inho felt a slight shudder at the memory.

“Sorry,” Hyuk replied sympathetically, “but if it makes you feel better, Daebak feels really bad about the whole thing; especially your injuries.” Inho only grunted a little in response, rubbing his wrist where it still tingled a bit, “but I'm happy you're up and running again. The last time someone came into the medbay that bad, I couldn't do anything.”

“Oh ...”

“Nah. It's okay. Just glad we were able to get you going again,” Hyuk paused when he noticed Inho was still regarding him, “Uh...what…? Do I have something on my face or…?” He was already running a hand over it to try and remove the non-existent offense.

“Just..how long have you been with the ship?”

“Eh? Well,” a few mental calculations, “technically close to five years. It was the vessel I was hired onto after school,” he thought a moment longer, “I've been with Hugo for three of those.”

“But,” Inho took in a breath, trying to figure out the best way to say it, “you're not...I've heard some jokes about you being part of the ship?” Hyuk just shook his head, but didn't look disturbed by the comment. Good.

“Those engineers...sigh. Look, better you hear it from me. I was part of the crew BEFORE Hugo got the ship. When he bought it my contract was part of it, so I started working for him too. Not that crazy.”

“HYUK!!!” He knew the voice of Daebak anywhere. Hyuk sighed before making to go meet the other man.

“I bet he's found something interesting down in the engine room. You going to swing by later?” Inho nodded a little, “I'll see you then. Not like we can hide from each other for too long on this ship anyhow, right?”

Inho sat alone in the medbay, rubbing a hand on his wrist. While it didn't match exactly what he heard, Hyuk's statement at least moderately confirmed what Inho believed about the voices he was hearing. The doctor had jokingly said to avoid contact for a while (or at least, Inho assumed it had been jokingly). The echoes were very brief, and yet he could remember them very clearly. Is this what Asari went through with their melding thing?

“Why are you sitting here looking pensive?”

“Hey,” Inho responded to Hanjin, “just...this is weird.”

“I know. You almost died so-”

“No, I mean...” Inho grumbled, “I think...” Again, how should he put this, “...the doc said meld memories, remember?” Hanjin nodded, “Well...I think it's happening. Just now, when Hyuk was checking my pulse I got something. Don't look at me like that,” he groaned at the disbelief Hanjin's face had, “it sounds crazy but I can hear things from...the past? I don't even know.” Hanjin shook his head, and offered his hand to Inho, “What? No, bro, I don't need to be hearing your dirty secrets. No thanks.” Hanjin just rolled his eyes, and grabbed Inho's hand.

I want to be famous-

I want to be the best-

Who the hell is that guy over there? He can't shoot for -

Uh, hi. I'm Inho-

Ha! The best the academy has to offer is right-

You're not sending me without Inho. I won't do it-

Why is Inho so close to those guys already-

Mission-

“Did you really tell Bongpal you wouldn't do this job without me?” Hanjin gaped at his words. Inho smirked, continuing, “and are you...jealous I'm close to the rest of the-”

“Okay, okay, I get it.” Hanjin grumbled, yanking his hand away.

Inho still wasn't used to the tingling feeling that remained once the memories stopped. Part of him wondered if it was just his hands, or any contact. Would it work through gloves or clothing? While he pondered this, he watched as Hanjin stood and paced around the small bunk room. His partner paused, looked around, and paced again.

“You hear memories supposedly?”

“A little bit I guess-”

“And is there any limit to how many times you can do it, or how long you can do it, or-”

“Why?” Inho already didn't like where Hanjin was going with this line of questions, “You are literally only the third person I've tested it on. And I don't know the limits. It just started,” Hanjin had stopped pacing, “would me telling you this is awkward and uncomfortable for me help with whatever it is you're thinking about?” Clearly it did, because Hanjin just stared at him thoughtfully, “okay, What?”

“They don't have surveillance here, right?”

“You know they don't.”

“Why not try it on Hugo?” When Inho didn't respond, he continued, “look, we're stuck here until we figure out what this ship is actually carrying. The sooner we know, the sooner we can leave. What can it hurt to try? Assuming you actually have this power you say you do,” he could feel the air quotes in that statement, “we could be out of here tomorrow.”

“You don't think me just going up to Hugo and touching him would be weird?”

“Well THAT would be weird. Just find a way to make it work.”

“It's not that clear Hanjin,” he practically growled out, his mind already going back to the memories he could recall, “and they're not all pleasant. What makes you think you'd get anything out of anyone useful?”

“Then test it more!” Hanjin's own frustration was beginning to show. Back in the academy, he'd see this from him particularly when a team training was going poorly and he was unable to take charge as he wasn't the team leader, “how about the big guy? He has so little going on in his brain, what could the harm be?” At the mention of Daebak, Inho shook his head, “yeah, you're right. Probably doesn't have anything useful anyhow. Oh. The pilot. Jeongha. That guy has to know something. And if not, he has about as much sense as the giant,” Inho's felt his frown deepen, illiciting an annoyed sound from Hanjin, “and why not?”

Useless-

Betrayed-

“That just feels...this just feels wrong Hanjin-”

“This is a smuggler ship, bro. You can't assume anyone here are good people. Yeah, they helped you, but do you think there isn't an ulterior motive? They've got Yoonshik on here” what does thst tell you? There's an idea. What if you could find out the truth behind the murder of Yoonmi? Wouldn't that be something to take back with us? Even if it somehow invading the mind of the idiots bothers you, what's the harm in Yoonshik?”

“I don't know...”

“Trust me. They all seem to like you. We need to use that. We have an assignment. Do we want to finish it, or not? Isn't that why we're here?” The tingling sensation had finally faded, and Inho sighed before nodding mutely.


a/n: I ended this early. I have a whole other section, but I think it will do better in another chapter.