The Deal

That One Student

Joshua liked to consider himself a pretty darn good teacher. Even though he was the youngest staff member at the school (being only 23 years old) all the other teachers relied on him and students, both male and female, adored him (well, mainly because of his looks and all but whatever).

Now, Joshua loved to teach English, the language he grew up with. And even students who abhorred the language still loved his class.
Well, except one person. This certain being was the bane of Joshua’s existence. Yoon Jeonghan, probably the leader of the I Hate The English Language club, and the one person who couldn’t care less about what Joshua taught. More annoyingly, the pair were neighbors and knew each other long before Joshua became a teacher, so they were both stunned when they’d met again at school. Joshua usually dropped the professional act around Jeonghan, especially when he was upset, like right now.

“Jeonghan…” Joshua groaned, running his hands through his hair. “You failed the test. A 6! You literally scored a 6! How did you even manage to get such a low grade?” 
Jeonghan couldn’t help but snicker a bit at Joshua’s bewildered state. 
“Sorry?” he said in mock apology.
Joshua looked up at him, not bothering to hide his annoyance.
“Not to be the one to crush your English loving passions, but why’re you even taking this class?”
Jeonghan smirked. “Cuz you’re a cute teacher.”
Joshua flushed a bit at that. “Not a good enough reason,” he mumbled.
“What? So you agree? How shameless!” Jeonghan said dauntingly. Joshua rolled his eyes.
“If I were you I’d just drop this class. It’s hurting your GPA, and you’re not a bad student.”

Jeonghan leaned over the table where Joshua was seated and looked at him thoughtfully. “But I like watching you teach,” he said. 
Joshua laughed. “Again, not really a good enough reason to stay. Though I appreciate it.” His ears were tinted red, evidence as to the fact that Jeonghan’s words were getting to him a bit.
Jeonghan pouted. “It’s not my fault. You’re distracting. How can I pay attention when you look so cute? You should maybe reconsider teaching once you no longer look like you could be a student,” he justified.
Joshua’s face went full out scarlet at that. “What the heck are you saying?” he said, trying to sound a bit more rigid but his voice wavered at Jeonghan’s playful gaze. Jeonghan reached out and brushed a strand of hair off Joshua’s forehead. “I’m saying I find you attractive,” he said in a teasing voice.
Joshua smiled softly, knowing Jeonghan was just messing with him. “ up to me won’t raise your grades, Mr. Playboy. But forget it. Let’s just go home, it’s getting late.”

Jeonghan pouted but agreed, and they started packing their things to head home. Jeonghan watched in amusement as Joshua attempted to stuff the trillions of love letters he’d received from students (both male and female) into his briefcase.
“You actually keep all those?” he asked.
Joshua shut his briefcase with difficulty and looked at Jeonghan warily. “Well, it’s a nice gesture…”
Jeonghan snorted. “Do you throw them away once you get home?”
Joshua blushed. “N-no…I just keep them on my desk or in drawers.” He looked away, embarrassment written on his face. 
Jeonghan chuckled. “You’re like a schoolgirl getting confessed to. Argh, let’s go home, I’m starving.”

Joshua walked back with Jeonghan, the younger constantly complaining about how long he’d had to stay after school (it’d really only been 15 minutes) and finally in exasperation, Joshua offered to stop by a convenience store and buy him something.
“Really?! Strawberry ice cream!” Jeonghan said immediately, and Joshua laughed. “You’re such a kid,” he teased, buying a chocolate one for himself.

Jeonghan eagerly bit into the cone, not caring that he looked like someone who hadn’t eaten in days. Joshua burst out laughing.
“Are you 5 or something? It’s just ice cream,” he said through stifled laughter. Jeonghan watched him laugh, sticking out his bottom lip. 
“It’s good,” he insisted. Then he eyed Joshua’s cone and darted forward, taking a bite.
“Hey!” Joshua complained, though still smiling.
Jeonghan smirked and offered his cone. “Here. Strawberry’s better anyway.”
Joshua rolled his eyes and took a bite out of Jeonghan’s ice cream. “No it’s not,” he countered. 
“Yes it is.”
“Nope.”
“You’re wrong.”
Jeonghan looked at him, trying to be annoyed but Joshua was smiling widely and his eyes sparkled with challenge. 
“What’ll it take to prove that I’m right?” Jeonghan insisted.
Joshua paused. “Get a 100 on my next test and I’ll agree.”
Jeonghan relented. “Fine.”
Joshua looked taken aback. “You’ll do it?”
Jeonghan nodded. “Anything to prove you wrong.”
They bickered until they reached their apartment complex, Joshua’s and Jeonghan’s rooms a couple doors apart. 
“Seeya later teach~” Jeonghan sang before he entered his suite. 

Joshua entered his apartment, sighing. He dumped all the letters and a few chocolates on his desk. It was then to his horror he realized that Valentines day was tomorrow. If this was how much he’d received on a normal day, tomorrow would no doubt be a nightmare. He vaguely wondered if he ought to call in sick but remembered the test tomorrow and the deal he and Jeonghan had made. Joshua laughed a bit at his own unprofessionalism. No wonder people say I don’t really appear to be a teacher, here I am arguing with a student over which ice cream flavor’s better. Though this student was a bit unique anyway.

“What’re you creepily laughing about?” said a voice. Joshua turned and saw that Vernon, his roommate, was already back, on the couch and eating a bag of chips idly.
“Nothing,” Joshua responded. “By the way, why’s there a truckload of junk food on the counter?”
Vernon shrugged. “A coworker said his kids had to much of it and was desperate to give it away. I figured you wouldn’t mind.”
“I don’t, but there’s not enough space in the freezer for the popsicles.”
Vernon glanced at him. “Give it to that student of yours. Jeonghan or whatever. I’m sure he’d like em.”
Joshua smiled at the idea of giving Jeonghan even more sugar. “I guess I’ll do that.”

He finished putting the rest of the unhealthy foods away, although admittedly he did sneak a few bites of the chocolate chip cookies, before grabbing the package of popsicles.
He headed a few doors down and rang the doorbell. Jeonghan’s mom answered.
“Hi, Mrs. Yoon. I have no space left in my freezer for this, so are you alright with taking this?” he asked, smiling gently. Mrs. Yoon, who’d always been fond of Joshua, nodded. “Oh of course! Thank you! I’m sure Jeonghan’ll appreciate it. Odd, that guy immediately came home, ran to his room, and told us not to bother him. I don’t believe final exams are coming up any time soon, so I have no clue why he’s studying so hard.”
Joshua raised his eyebrows. “Huh. Maybe he wants to improve his grades?”
Mrs. Yoon smiled. “Now that’d be a miracle. I hope you’re right. Thanks for dropping by!”
Joshua nodded. “No problem. Tell Jeonghan to study hard! See you later.”

Joshua chuckled in amusement as he entered his apartment once more. Vernon looked at him.
“If you keep laughing randomly like that, people’re gonna think you’re a creep. Just saying.”
Joshua crossed his arms. “Whatever, Vernonnie,” he mumbled, using the nickname Vernon hated so much. Vernon groaned and went back to watching TV.
Joshua started grading homework assignments when he received a text.

JH: so the day u finally drop by and im studying and miss it. what luck
JS: Well, keep studying. I’m expecting a 100 now
JH: shouldnt u not want that? cuz then ur gonna lose the bet
JS: Well, as a teacher, of course I want you to get good grades
JS: ….but okay, kinda….
JH: well guess we’ll find out~
JS: Ok, now get back to studying, Yoon!
JH: aye aye ;)

The next day, Joshua handed out the tests, noting the fact that Jeonghan looked more tired than usual.
They were handed back and Joshua decided to grade them immediately. The students filed out of class, leaving Joshua alone in the classroom, silently grading papers.
Oh, and Jeonghan, who was watching expectantly.

Joshua graded Jeonghan’s test last, his eyes widening at every correct answer he marked.
He looked up at Jeonghan. “Full marks. You actually did it. Wow, I feel like a proud parent right now.”
Jeonghan smiled smugly. “I stayed up late just to study. You better be happy.”
Joshua eyed Jeonghan’s weary face and the more prominent dark circles. “I appreciate it,” he said softly, reaching out and gently brushing away hair from Jeonghan’s face, since the latter never bothered to tie it up.

Jeonghan just stood there silently, and Joshua realized what he was doing and pulled away quickly. “S-sorry-I think your habits are rubbing off on me,” he muttered, his face heating up. Jeonghan smirked.
“Okay, so I win the bet. Now here’s my prize.” 
And before Joshua could do anything Jeonghan cupped his face and captured his lips in a kiss.

Joshua was so surprised he didn’t pull away, and Jeonghan eyed him, looking satisfied.
“You taste like chocolate. Don’t tell me you’ve been eating all those chocolates you got as gifts today.”
Joshua blushed. “I can’t carry them all home…” he admitted, biting his lip. “Also-what was….that?
Jeonghan leaned in again. “So I kinda like you, teach. I’ve actually liked you since before you were a teacher, but this is nice too.”
Joshua’s face was on fire. “J-Jeonghan-” he stammered, finally realizing that they’d just kissed and that he’d just been confessed to.
“You don’t have to give me an answer. Just throwing it out there.” Jeonghan pulled away, gathering his stuff.

Joshua gulped, feeling an urge to not let the conversation end this way. “Wait-Jeonghan-um….if-if you manage to get straight A’s for the remaining of the semester, I’ll-um-”
Jeonghan turned to him, delighted. “Really? No takebacks then!”
“Well, you’re a senior, so after graduation you’re no longer a student…”
Jeonghan grinned. “Keep your promise then,” he said.
Joshua wasn’t sure whether he’d regret it or not, but oh well.

A couple months later, and Jeonghan was the top in their class in terms of English. Joshua couldn’t believe it. And when graduation rolled around, Joshua was in the audience, watching him get his diploma, and yes, slightly teary eyed.

“Congratulations!” Joshua exclaimed when Jeonghan got off stage. He pulled him into a hug. Jeonghan beamed and laughed when he saw the tears sparkling in Joshua’s eyes.
“Aw, don’t cry teach. I’ll still see you around.” He leaned forward and caressed Joshua’s face. “Now your promise.”
Joshua swooped forward and planted a kiss on Jeonghan’s lips. “I like you too,” he finally said, and blushed, looking away. No one had seen the act, since everyone was caught up in their own liveliness.
Jeonghan gave a sigh of content. “Great, now you’re all mine. I won’t let anyone else have you, just so you know.”
Joshua smiled. “Fine, you win.”