Chapter 9

Something to Love

 

Wendy was completely side tracked from her work as her fingers rested on the keyboard and her focus was elsewhere. She stared at the two tickets on her desk filled with jet black text of details regarding to the event. She could remember Tiffany’s word echoing.

‘Take your boss with you and say it’s a date.’

Originally the tickets were meant for Tiffany and her friend to attend, but there was a scheduling conflict. She was casted for some variety show that weekend, so she passed on the tickets to her sister. It was regrettable on her end because she knew they were both huge fans of Boa since middle school.

She remembered her jaws dropped once the tickets were in her hands. The rush of excitement ran through her blood, gushing when she read the bold printed name ‘Boa’ on the top. Thus, squealing on top of her lungs while Tiffany had a disappointed pout on her face. Not only that, but there was an extra opportunity date. She wondered if Irene would have the same shocking reaction when she surprised her with the news.

They briefly talked about music and their favourite artist and Boa had been listed among them. So the two slips on her desk were almost like the winning lottery number that basically guaranteed a beaming Irene. Her cheeks felt taut with exhilaration from all the smiling. 

Wendy’s eagerness turned impatient from the anticipation and she’d wanted to see Irene demandingly. Besides, she had to rush out after work due to some errands so she didn’t have much of a spare afterwards. She decided to wait fifteen minutes before it hit noon to set as an appropriate time. She slipped the tickets into her pocket and headed toward the elevator.

Going to Irene’s office was starting to feel more like a hang out and less intimidating, despite the funny look she was receiving from Mina. Mina never really stopped her from seeing their boss until now.  

“It’s almost lunch time Wendy, you need anything?”

“Ah um…” Wendy was stuttering. “I n-need to give something real quick to Miss Bae.”

“She on a phone call right now. You can leave the item with me and I’ll give it to her later.”

To Mina, that made perfect sense but what she didn’t know was that it was too personal for Wendy to let the secretary pass on to Irene.

“Oh no, that’s okay. I’ll come back after another time then.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes…”

Wendy returned to her cubicle and puckered her lips at the unluckiness of her timing. She ran her fingers across the tickets that were still in her pocket wondering if she’d be able to have a chance to see Irene sometime today. She got five days left considering the due date was Saturday, albeit not a lot of time left.

Screw it, she’ll just text her.

I know it seems sudden for me to ask you this but would
you like to come to Boa’s concert this Saturday?
From Wendy

She stowed her phone away knowing the nature of Irene’s job, hence probably too busy to reply immediately. Also hoping Irene wouldn’t be booked on the weekend.

“Let’s go Wendy, I’m hungry.” Joy pulled her arms and Wendy grabbed her wallet just in time while being dragged out from her desk.

Yeri and Seulgi were already at the end of the hallway waiting by the elevator as they caught up with them.

“Joy!” They halted their steps and whipped their heads to see Sungjae calling. He was heading toward them, but then paused halfway.

“Ah, you’re going for lunch? I was actually hoping to have lunch with you, but that’s alright. Another time maybe?”

Well this was interesting. Wendy had no idea Sungjae was into Joy and what was even more shocking was that Joy looked like she was considering it. Joy stood there contemplating then she glanced at Wendy.

“I won’t join you today. You girls go ahead.”

Wendy’s eyes widen in stunned, not believing what she just heard. “Are you sure?”

“Yea.”

“Okay. See you later.”

Wendy left Joy behind and walked to Seulgi and Yeri to relay the message. Yeri had the same reaction as she did, but for reason Seulgi just nodded before turning back to the elevator as if she knew about it already.

They went to their favourite café occupying the table by the glass window. Yeri was telling her story of the time she encounter a scary dog. A freaking poodle dog, to be more specific and Wendy and Seulgi could not relate, being animal lovers. Seulgi was in the middle of joking with Yeri that she’d buy a puppy for her birthday when Wendy got distracted as her phone buzzed off.

Are you serious?
From Irene

Wendy’s finger flew over the keyboard as if it was the first time Irene replied.

Yes, my sister gave me the tickets.
From Wendy

Are you sure that you want me to go?
From Irene

Now Wendy was puzzled at her skeptics. Where did that came from?

Yes. Why’d you ask that?
From Wendy

I thought maybe you’d go with your friends or something
like Seulgi, Joy, Yeri and I don’t know….Jackson?
From Irene

Wendy snickered loudly. Boss or not, Irene was just like a normal being that behaved prematurely from jealously. Hoping to reassure Irene, she picked her words hoping Irene understood her intent.

No I want to go with you. Just you.
From Wendy

Let me think about it
From Irene

Her heart slightly dropped thinking of the prospect of rejection. Maybe Irene was a busy person after all.

Oh. Okay.
From Wendy

She was about to toss her phone in her purse until her phone notified immediately.

I’m just kidding, Wendy.
I’d love to go. Thank you.
From Irene

Wendy clenched her teeth hard to prevent her from shouting ‘YES’. She felt a boast of courage and joy that it was almost surreal. Although she’d prefer to watch Irene’s reaction rather than reading the composed text messages, wondering if she’s just as excited or beyond.

Yeri called her back from her daydreaming. “Who are you texting? Irene-unnie?”

Wendy was taken aback of the pointedness of the question. “Ugh.”

“Please, you’re so obvious. You’re making weird faces.”

“Did she say yes?” Seulgi chewed her sandwich openly.

“Yea.”

“Dammit. I was hoping she’ll be busy so I could go instead.” Yeri crossed her arms in defeat.

“You must be the happiest person right now.” Seulgi praised while taking another huge bite.

“I am a happy person.” Wendy said with much arrogant, but then laughed it off.

“Well better hold onto her tight because she hates loud noises.” Leave it to Yeri to kill her mood.

“Oh” Wendy was now worried that the concert might be a bad idea.

“Don’t worry. That stuff doesn’t matter because it’s Boa and you’re there. What a score.”

Wendy pouted her lips and pondered. “Let’s hope it turns out alright.”

 

---

 

“Where are you?” Wendy was already waiting a few meters away from the entrance of the building where the concert took place. She stood under the casted shadow from a tall and twisted looking statue as the blaring sun was strong.

“I’m heading there. I’ll be there soon.” Irene spoke from the other line of the phone call.

Wendy waved her hand even knowing that Irene couldn’t see it. “No need to rush. Luckily we have the special tickets where we don’t need to wait in line.”

“Awesome. Good thing I’m not late.”

“I’ll still wait for you even if you are.” Wendy cleared after realizing that her voice sounded too sugary.

“I’m just climbing up the stairs now, I’m almost there.”

“Okay. I’m standing by the big statue, you won’t miss it.” Wendy took another glance at the huge stone structure, doing its job covering the sun.  

They were still on the line even though none of them spoke and she could faintly hear Irene’s panting on the other side. As she waited, she noticed the line of people stretched dreadfully long around the building endlessly. She pitied them as they stood there for hours under the hot sun directing at them. Fortunately, the sun was beginning to set down.

After another minute of silence, Irene’s voice fluctuated with heavy pants.

“There’re too many stairs.”

“You can do it. Fighting!”

After another five minutes of waiting, Wendy couldn’t remember how many flights of stairs exist, but Irene was sure taking her time.

“I’m here.”

Wendy brought her phone down and twisted her head left and right trying to spot the girl. The crowd were increasing in numbers and it became a difficult task to find Irene. Unsuccessfully, she was about to bring the phone to her ear again until she felt someone hooking their hands around her arm.

“Hi” a voice chirped. She turned around to see a different Irene. She was wearing a V-neck T-shirt, a denim blue jean and a pair of white sneakers. Irene looked good, no…exquisite. Meanwhile, Wendy wore a navy blue one piece dress.

“Hi!”

“I’m –” She was cut off when they heard a shout directed at them.

“Excuse me lady!” They turn around to see a tall guy calling them. He looked young in his teens or early twenties.

He sprinted up ahead and held a small purple notebook in front of Irene. “I think you drop this.”

“Ah, thank you.” Irene hastily grabbed the notebook and tucked it back into her purse. She gave a polite head bow and expected the boy to run off considering how exaggerated the lineup was drawn out.

Oddly, the guy was still standing there looking, staring at Irene. Within those gaze, Wendy instantly knew he was captured by Irene’s beauty. Displease, she had already predicted what was going to happen next.

 “Are you here for Boa’s concert?”

“Yes”

“What a coincidence, I’m also here for her concert.”

“I see.”

“Wow, we have a lot in common. We’re both fans of Boa.”

That’s not a lot at all. That’s just one fact.

Wendy desperately wanted to roll her eyes at his obvious statement. It was almost equivalent to saying they could both breath oxygen.

“The weather is really hot today.”

“Yes it is”

Wendy could clearly sense that Irene didn’t want to continue the conversation, but the guy wasn’t leaving.

“My name is Park Jisung.”

“Ah.. ugh, Bae Irene.”

“Of course. A pretty girl obviously needs a name like that.”

While Wendy was heavily analyzing the guy, she could tell he lacked experience speaking to females if she were to compare him with Jackson. Anyone who went on a date with this guy would be bored out of their minds. Or maybe Wendy’s really bitter right now.

Or maybe it’s actually just him because he’s trying to force a conversation that Irene had no interest in. Although she was surprised how civil Irene was acting when she could easily boot the guy away.

“Did you drop anything else? I’ll pick it up for you.”

“No.”

“You must be here alone. I’m here with my friends and you can join us.” The boy suggested.

Okay that was Wendy’s breaking point. Not only he completely ignored Wendy who was standing behind Irene, everything about him, his face, voice, and his presence in general was disturbing her.

Completely annoyed with his oblivion, she hooked her arm around Irene’s waist and pulled her against her body so she was semi-bear hugging her. She shot him the most menacing look at the guy which rendered him speechless.

“She’s with me.” She said with much possessiveness.

It took him another three seconds to register the signs that he wasn’t wanted near them. Awkwardly, he walked away and disappeared back into the crowd. Rude.

She glanced at Irene and took notice of what possessed her as if she woke up from a dream. Feeling like she over stepped her boundaries, she released her hold immediately. She stepped back meanwhile her ears were on fire.

“Sorry.”

Irene gave her a teasing smirk making Wendy flustered even more. “You’re so cute.”

This time the heat creeps up to her face, embarrassed for acting like a jealous girlfriend. She wanted to drop in a hole and hide there forever.

“Ugh, ah…let’s go?”

 

---

 

Upon showing their tickets to the staff, they were immediately ushered inside the stadium and directed to their seats. To say the stadium was huge was underestatement. It was massive which seated at least five thousand people. They were situated two sections back from middle of the stage where they had a clear view to themselves. With their proximity to the stage, they probably were close enough to see Boa’s face if she were to appear now. Of course, Tiffany had the privilege of securing a seat with a decent view yet not too close to the stage.

“Thanks for inviting me. You have no idea how happy I am.” Irene clasped her hand together in appreciation.

“Have you been to a concert before?”

“No. But I’m glad this is my first. I’ve always wanted to go to Boa’s concert.”

“You’re going to love it. I’m sure.”

As it near to the opening of the concert, the crowds were quickly filling up the seats and the loud noises blended from chatters and footsteps.

The lights begin to slowly dim down until the stadium was covered in darkness with glowing light sticks waving from the audiences followed by the loud enthusiastic screams deafening to her ears.

Finally, the screen had pop up indicating the show had begun, playing a video to get the audiences hype up. A few moments later, Boa had literately jumped on the stage and performed one of her hit songs straight away.

Wendy was surprised how active Irene was cheering for Boa. She was screaming, jumping and dancing to the music. Irene grabbed her wrist started swinging in the air for some reason showing her excitement. She wondered if Irene pre-drank before her arrival, she was sort of out of character.

But that didn’t mean Wendy wasn’t enjoying the concert any less, she was just as crazy. She sang to the lyrics and chanting cheers with the audiences. There were times when Wendy was so into the performance that she had completely forgotten that Irene was beside her until her left ear were screeching from Irene’s yell. Sometimes Irene clutched onto her arms when the fans were going overboard with the cheers.

“MAKE SOME NOISE!!” the speaker boomed with Boa’s shouts.

As the concert progressed, the beat from the music started pumping through her blood and the adrenaline slowly flowed inside her body. Her ear drums and vocal cord probably exploded by then but she didn’t care at the moment.

Three hours later, the concert wrapped up nicely with an encore and everyone applauded cheerfully without any signs of deterring energy. The exiting crowd began to barricade the exits and Wendy and Irene were stuck in the mist of the crowd. It forced them to hold hands to prevent the other one to go missing or trampled. They tighten their hold while trap in the overbearing pack. With a little push and squeeze, they managed to stumble away and taking in the fresh air outside.

The moon shone brightly in the sky just before midnight and despite how late it had become, Wendy was energized as the after concert hype still lingered around. The adrenaline kept her wide awake and she thought of a way to burn it off.

“Want to walk around for a bit?” Irene nodded.

 

---

 

They found a nearby park and surround themselves around tall trees and grasses. The breeze that hit against the leaves drowned out the sound of car engines from the busy streets. Footsteps clanked against the pavement as the two girls enjoyed the peaceful, quiet walk.

They rambled about Boa’s performance and their favourite songs, still in the mist of their fangirling fanatic. When the steam finally wore out, they relish in their presences, savoring the pleasant night once again.

In a comfortable silence, they strode around the wide open fountain that had stopped sprinkling water as it probably had been shut off. Irene was appreciating the scenery of nature as she stared in between the shinning of the moon and the water gleaming from the reflection. Meanwhile, Wendy was also gawking at the scene but with Irene in the equation.

Time was a blur whenever Wendy was with Irene. She made her believe that never ending existed, like some sort of magic from a fairy tale that they’d never grow out of it. But she looked up to the sky and was reminded how dark it was. Reality was settling in.

“Are you tired?”

“No, I normally sleep very late anyways.”

Perhaps it was the lighting from the moon, but Irene glowed. Her beauty accentuated with the blue light making her ethereal. “Your skin looks very healthy though.”

Irene halted on the spot making Wendy stop as well. “Want to touch it?”

She was surprised at the offer, but she soon obligated. Shyly lifting her fingers, she slowly traced her cheek with the back of her fingers feeling the soft supple skin and the goose bumps on her arms.

“It’s nice.”

Irene tilted her head and edged her on for more. “Just nice?”

“It’s soft, smooth…attractive.”

Irene’s satisfaction smile then twisted into teasing smirk. “So that means you must like me.”

Wendy advert her gaze to the ground, staring at the cracks in between the pavement. “Y-yeah…I guess…” All of the sudden she became shy after her reveal. Also, scolding herself how she sounded uncertain about it in front of Irene. Well the cat was out of the bag now.

She looked up once again when she felt Irene pull at her dress sleeves.

“Wendy” The solemnity seized Irene’s voice and Wendy could only listen.

There. The passion in her eyes as she intently stare at her. She felt like she could burn alive as Irene strongly bore into her. Eyes that allured, enchanted, seduced and glistened.

“I really really like spending time with you.”

Wendy said nothing as she felt a familiar pounding in her chest and let Irene continued. Irene’s voice drifted softly.

“So….”

It was her first time seeing Irene so vulnerable, fragile almost, making Wendy a little worried. She reached out to hold both of her hands hoping that it would calm her. Giving the sense of security and assuring that she was there for her. Ready to promise her all the devotion she’s willing to commit. Hoping Irene was falling into the abyss of love just like she did.

Those unspoken hopes were answered.

“Be mine?” Irene slightly squeaked at the end.

Wendy giggled out of gladness and closed their distance giving her an intimate hug. She gently wrapped her arms around her waist and her head leaned onto her shoulder.

In a low quiet tender voice she spoke. “Of course.”

Irene reciprocated the hug and tightened it even more.

Finally.

That night, Wendy felt something blossom inside her chest then transferred into her stomach. It felt deep, deep within her. It was like she discovered something akin to beauty that can be associated with love. Like Irene was the water and sunlight to her flower. The warmth that can only be felt from a single touch filled with sincere. The light she only wanted to be surrounded. The happiness she wanted to bask in forever.

The brightness of the moon shone from the sky cannot amount to the glow that radiated from the bliss she felt. She fitted right into Irene’s arm and she knew Irene felt the same.

Wendy pulled back slightly and rasped out a quick promise.

“I’ll only be yours.”

Irene leaned forward to rest her forehead at the side of her temple and for the life of them, they couldn’t stop smiling. Soon, Irene’s giggles blended in with Wendy’s laughs echoing into the sweet night.

 

---

 

“Did you do a validation check on the reports this month?” Wendy asked.

Seulgi nodded. “Yea, I’m just forwarding the stuff to everyone now.”

“Okay. Great”

The office had been busy once again and she could feel the hustling surround her. Wendy fingers ran over the keyboard and mouse, making a few clicking noises.

“Yo Wendy, did you get Momo’s email yet?” Joy voiced out from her desk.

“Not yet.”

“Wendy, we got another meeting at 2.” Yeri notified her.

“Alright.”

Wendy wasn’t the only busy body as everyone was also making sure they pull through with the project before deadline.

“I’m going to grab the stuff in the printer room. I’ll be right back.” Wendy told Seulgi.

She stood up and walked down the hallway passing the busy working coworkers sitting by their cubicle. Looking up ahead, her smile grew wider. Irene was walking in the opposite direction toward her and they both made eye contact.

To be honest, nothing had changed at work. They agreed to keep their relationship outside the work office for the sake of professionalism. So it sort of felt like they had a big secret kept from the rest of the world with a few people aware of it.

In the established relationship, they mutually concur to keep their contact to the bare minimum until they were ten yards away from the premise. But that didn’t mean they couldn’t send discrete affectionate signals to each other.

When they were in a close distance, Wendy wriggled her eyebrow in a flirtatious manner which finally elicited a small giggle from Irene. Her eyes alight with delight as she held her gaze at her. Then they continued walking to their destination passing by while their heart beat for each other.

Truly, it felt like a normal day at work.

 

End