Chapter 2

Something to Love

Amber cheered when Wendy told her that she was going on a business trip.

“What do you mean ‘Yay’, she’s scary!”

“But you said she’s pretty. It’s not like you’re going to be stuck with her 24/7.” Amber tried to reason with her.

“Who knows? I might have to be her personal caretaker.”

“You’ll be fine.” Amber waved it off.

“You just want to throw a party while I’m gone.”

“How did you know?”

“Please” Wendy rolled her eyes.

Amber made hand gestures to emphasize. “I need that one day of the month to make a social effort and host a gathering. Do you not feel me?”

“No, but I better not see my room turned upside down.”

“I wouldn’t do that to you.”

They were eating dinner at their shared apartment. Amber always felt glee every time she came home to a freshly cooked dinner. Without a doubt, she would nominate Wendy to be the best roommate in the world. It helped Amber achieve her most optimum level of laziness and she didn’t really want to change that. They finished washing the dishes and dried their hands.

 “I’m going to watch the basketball games with the oppas, want to come?” Amber asked.

“Nah, I’m going to shower and call my sister.”

“Okay, tell her that I said hi.”

After Wendy finished her shower, she took out her phone to face time with Tiffany. Tiffany immediately appeared in her phone screen when she picked up.

“Hey baby girl!” Tiffany flashed her eye smile.

“Unnie!” Wendy gleamed back. Then Tiffany squinted at her.

“You’ve gained weight?”

“Hey. That’s rude!” Tiffany stuck her tongue out, teasing Wendy.

“Guess what?”

“What?”

“I went to watch 50 Shades Darker”

“Was it good?”

 “It was alright.” Tiffany shrugged. “It was getting to the hot scene until this guy beside me whispered to his girlfriend ‘you told me we were going to see The Lego Movie’” Both girls burst into laughter.

“Hahaha, poor guy.”

“It was an inappropriate time to laugh when two actors were making out. My cover almost got blown.”

“You’re always loud. That’s not very surprising.”

Tiffany pouted.

 “So what are you up to?”

“ I’m going to a business trip.”

“Where?”

“Somewhere in Korea, I don’t know. Boss is picking me up.”

“Sounds fun. Buy me some wine!”

“Unnie…”

Both sisters always kept in touch with each other. They barely saw each other ever since they studied abroad in different countries. Tiffany studied in the States while Wendy was in Canada. When Wendy moved to the States, Tiffany had already finished her studies and went back to Korea. Now that they’re back in Korea, Tiffany was busy with acting and Wendy was working. They haven’t met very often.

Tiffany was more energetic and sometimes childish. She enjoyed going out, shopping and exploring. She was definitely the party type. Wendy was also energetic, but she was a lot calmer than Tiffany. She enjoyed watching movies more than going shopping. She stayed home a lot after work and watched dramas and variety shows. They were different, but they always found something to talk about for hours.

“Take me out for lunch baby, you’re making money now.” Tiffany whined.

“Come to my office.”

“Sure! I get to see my baby work!” Tiffany squealed which caused Wendy to roll her eyes. 

Wendy was glad that Tiffany was normal again. Their last conversation ended up about Tiffany ranting her heart out when her heartless ex dumped her. But then she remembered at the end of the last phone call being, ‘ that , I got a fabulous future ahead of me’. Still, Wendy worried about her well-being so they ended the call when she told her to go eat.

She smiled to herself as she plopped herself on the couch and the TV. She was happy.

 

---

 

Seulgi was worried if the newly recruited girl was going to do well with her job. She was hired to do Wendy’s old job and the manager told her to train her. The new girl Yeri seemed like she still belonged in high school. She’s basically a kid.

“Oh we have a touch screen coffee machine? So cool!” Yeri exclaimed and her fingers tapped the screen. Seulgi felt like she was babysitting instead.

“Yeah, so this is our break room. It gets interesting in here, everyone comes here to gossip.”

Yeri Ohh at the fact, feeling like she would enjoy her breaks a lot. This break room had a lot of history in it, weird activities always happened there. One day she found out some of her coworkers bought cake and only the ones who were listed in the foodies email were the first ones to come to get first serve. She got herself on the list somehow.

 Seulgi finished showing her around and showed what her daily tasks and general work. She was glad she didn’t have to repeat it twice as Yeri said she understood. Maybe this kid was actually smart, way too smart.

“Unnie, I’m done.” Seulgi looked at her surprised.

What in the…

It only took her couple of hours to finish numerous tasks yet Seulgi was still busy with her own work. Not sure what else to give her, she only patted her head to tell her good job.

“Why not introduce yourself to everyone.”

“Sounds good!” Yeri jumped out of her seat and walked out of her cubicle. Seulgi looked back at her screen.

She’s not bad. She’s such a cutie.

Seulgi imagined wiping off the concerns from her forehead. Yeri didn’t seem like she’s going to cause her a headache. And boy, was she wrong.

“Who’s the new girl?” She turned to look at Wendy beside her. It looked like Wendy had just finished her meeting.

“Yeri. She’s pretty cool.” Wendy nodded and settled her stuff down on her desk.

“OH MAI GOD, HOW MANY GRADES DID YOU SKIP?” A loud voice boomed throughout the floor. It startled Wendy and she looked around to see where the noise was coming from.

“Yeah, you’ll be surprised too.”

 

Somehow, they ended up in the karaoke room singing their souls out.

“YERI AND LUNA IN THE HOUUSSE!” They were jumping, singing and dancing silly in a small room with 5 people. Wendy, Seulgi, Luna and Krystal were free that night and celebrated with the new girl.

“Bang Bang Baangg!”

“TOP oppa! Marry me!”

They were high off of excitement and laughed the whole night. It felt like ages when they all had fun together. They all liked the new girl and seemed like she would make the office a lot brighter. Yeri phone rang and frowned when she said her sister wanted her home, obviously not wanting the night to end. Krystal offered to drop them off, which they later regretted since she was scaring them with her reckless driving.

“This is a very mundane way to die Krystal. I am supposed to have all these battle scars and die a hero.” Yeri commented, but it went through Krystal’s ears.

Their bodies lunged forward from the harsh footing on the brake. Wendy hit her head at the back of the front seat.

Jesus Christ, she is going to give me a concussion.

But then their jaws dropped when they saw Yeri’s house or her mansion.

“Thanks girls! I had fun! See you tomorrow” Yeri waved at them and ran off to her mansion.

“Dam that girl is just as rich as you Krystal.”

Krystal stared at the place. “No, her mansion is bigger.”

 Everyone was appreciating the architecture of the mansion.

“Why is everyone rich but me?” Seulgi crossed her arms and slumped in her seat.

“What are you talking about? I still live with my roommate” Wendy said.

“You make enough money to buy your own place.”

“Are you freaking kidding me? I haven’t paid off my student debt yet - AHH”

Suddenly their heads jerked back as Krystal drove off. They clutched onto whatever they can.

“Woah, easy on the acceleration there.” Krystal snickered and ignored them, stepping on the gas even more. She never listened to anyone.

“Relax, you guys get scared too easily.” Krystal’s calm face was the scariest thing they’ve ever seen. Wendy shut her eyes and mumbled in a mantra. Suelgi clutched the side handles hard that her knuckled turned white.

“I don’t want to die! I still haven’t met TOP oppa yet!” Luna cried.

 

--

 

Wendy waited by her door to get picked up. She wore a dress shirt and jeans, hair tied into a bun with light makeup. She was taking selcas and sending it onto her Snapchat. Amber rushed and joined in her Snapchat.

“Don’t forget anything.” Amber went around the kitchen counter and opened the fridge to get orange juice.

“I didn’t” Then her phone rang and she swiped right to answer the call.

“Hello Miss Bae. Yes I will be there.”

“Alright have fun girl.” Amber gave her a hug before opening the door.

Wendy dragged her luggage and Amber waved at her then closed the door. She saw a shiny black car by the side of the road, knowing it was Miss Bae waiting for her. She opened the car door to see Miss Bae looking stunning in the driver’s seat, her eyes widened.

She was wearing a blouse and a skirt, hair slightly pinned back. It wasn’t extravagant, but it could definitely blow anyone’s mind away. Even though her boss always dressed so elegantly, it was weird seeing her outside the office.

“Good morning Miss Bae”

“Good morning” She buckled herself and Miss Bae drove off without saying anything else. She felt the awkwardness in the air between them and had the urge to break the silence. What was she supposed to say? You look very nice today? Did she want to be complimented?

Instead she chose to stare outside the window, ignoring everything.

Two hours in, no one spoke to each other. Wendy learned to sit and make herself comfortable in the silence. At least the radio helped her distract her mind from thinking what would happen today. She glanced at Miss Bae to see her cold face focused on the road. It was a weird feeling. It’s like you’re in the same car and sitting beside a celebrity. They were in a whole different level and she could feel the powerful aura emitting from her. What did Wendy do to deserve to be this close to her?

I should get her autograph.

“Are you hungry?” Miss Bae finally spoke.

“A bit”

They went by a fast food drive through and Wendy was so fascinated while watching her boss. Eating fast food was so common, especially to her, but when you see someone who could afford a 5 star hotel food eating something that cost less than $10 was amusing. Oh my god, they were eating greasy food that Wendy swore to avoid in order to lose weight. Did Miss Bae like these kinds of food?

Okay, she’s human too. This isn’t something new.

Miss Bae was really quiet. She wasn’t sure how to approach her boss with a friendly conversation at all. It wasn’t like Wendy to be so uncomfortable socially.

“There’s ketchup on your lips Wendy.” Miss Bae said. Wendy embarrassingly wiped it off with a napkin. This business trip might actually be awkward after all.

Wendy fell asleep throughout the rest of the ride. It was a smooth drive until they’ve arrived and Wendy woke up.

Wendy frowned when she heard that she was sharing the same room as her boss.

Great, now I’m stuck with her 24/7.

“Get ready by 6, there will be a company’s dinner in the hotel’s restaurant.”

Wendy nodded. At least she was free to do whatever until then.

 

--

 

Seulgi watched Yeri spun in her chair, staring in space and going in circles. It was a good thing she wasn’t distracting everyone, but she felt bad that Yeri would be bored throughout the whole day. Seulgi went up to her.

“Maybe you should ask manager what else you could do.”

Yeri stopped and looked at Seulgi with a bored look.

“No, I don’t want to do anymore work.”

Seulgi raised her eyebrow.

“What are you going to do then?”

“Hmm” Yeri was thinking. Just then Seulgi’s phone dinged. She took out her phone and checked.

 

I think I’m going to die in awkwardness and boredom here. I’ll send you the hotel’s address to find my body.

From Wendy.

 

Why? Did your love get rejected by Miss Bae?

From Seulgi.

 

Screw you

From Wendy.

 

Seulgi smiled and tucked her phone away. She looked up to see Yeri was gone and an empty chair. She looked around to see her nowhere in sight. Not bothering to look for her, she shrugged and went back to work. It was another peaceful day until she heard loud chatters on the other side of the room. Curiosity got to her as she approached the noise. Then she face palm herself when she saw half of the coworkers and Yeri were competing with water bottle flips and shouting at each other.

“You ! Pass it to me!”

“Don’t throw it so high. You’re gonna make a hole in the ceiling.”

“Nonsense, this is how you do it.”

“Here’s my flip that will land me on TV.”

“Really? What it should land you is a vow renewal with your wife.”

 “Ew. Do you not wash your hands? Why is this bottle so sticky?”

“I saw that! You were trying to knock it off yourself.”

Seulgi was scared they were going to get caught by the manager with how loud they were. Good thing they weren’t here. She watched Yeri threw the water bottle in the air and landed unsuccessfully flat on the floor. Some other coworkers came by to see the reckless scene, but returned back to their seats uninterested in the game.

“Hah! Pay up that 10 bucks! I did it!”

Seulgi only shook her head and then she saw the manager walking towards them from far away. She panicked and was about to grab Yeri, but the girl had already walked away from the scene. Everyone else went back to their desk, pretending to type away like nothing had happened. Seulgi was trying to process everything until the manager stood beside her.

“Everything alright?” the manager asked unsuspecting of anything.

“Yes. Sorry, I’ll go back to work.” Seulgi walked back to her seat.

Yeri was too good to be working here. She might get promoted a lot quicker than Wendy.

“Unnie! Let’s go bowling!” Yeri popped out of nowhere, slightly taken her aback.

Seulgi smiled and gave her a pat on the head. Maybe Yeri needed to learn to be less carefree before she could take on a higher position.

 

--

 

It turned out that this whole company’s dinner was actually an award show. Wendy was clapping along with the audiences, confused to what was going on. She was sitting at the table with people she didn’t know and an empty seat beside her. Miss Bae was supposed to sit there and yet she was nowhere to be seen. She exchanged small talks with strangers beside her; they were from some other company. She smiled politely at them before taking a sip of her drink.

“Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome our first performer. Miss Bae Irene.”

What the ?!

Suddenly she had millions of questions popped into her brain.

The Miss Bae that she knew? Miss Bae that was supposed to be sitting beside her?

This whole thing was blowing her away. The next thing she saw was Miss Bae on stage with a microphone in her hand. Lights were on her and she was gorgeous. This woman was totally on a whole new level than her. She’s like Bruce Wayne by day and Batman by night. There’s no way she would like someone like Wendy.

Wendy watched her sang and it sounded really sweet. She couldn’t help but smiled and swayed to the music. She could totally be her fan girl, charming her away. The audiences clapped loudly as Irene finished and walked off the stage. Her eyes watched her as she headed back to her seat beside Wendy.

Whatever awkward or weird feelings they had before didn’t exist at the moment as Wendy flashed her bright smile and grabbed her hand.

“That was really good. I’m surprised that you sang.”

“Thank you” Irene smiled back.

The whole show continued and Wendy didn’t notice that she still held Irene’s hand for quite some time. She realized it and slowly slipped away. Miss Bae didn’t seem to mind, she was paying attention to the show. Again, her heart beat when she saw the lovely Miss Bae. She was too beautiful and precious. That whole night, she didn’t felt scared of her boss and it was simply Bae Irene right now.

 

--

 

Okay never mind, she was still scared of Miss Bae.

“I’ve asked you to take care of the office and you tell me that there was a virus in our system!?”

Wendy felt her body shook as she watched Miss Bae’s scary face and shouting over the phone.

“Fix it! I don’t care if you have to stay late! We need those data!”

Wendy jumped when Irene threw her phone on the bed.

Oh no. Take cover! Take cover!

She crawled under her blanket, hiding and shielding her body. She watched Irene walked to the washroom and shut the door.

Wendy’s tense body lay stiff in her bed, not sure how she’s going to sleep when it felt like Miss Bae could blow up anytime soon. What’s going to happen tomorrow? Was Miss Bae going to eat everyone alive now? Quickly shutting her eyes, she tried to tune herself out by putting on earphones hoping it would lure her to sleep.