Chapter 3

Something to Love

 

Yeri walked into the office and noticed a man walking with his head low in shame, carrying a box of his belongings. Her eyes followed him as he entered the elevator and left. She met him once, he was the guy that had a weird side bowl haircut and action figures on his desk. Did he get fired? Quit the job because of the pressure? She felt bad because he gave her a snack bar before.

 She later learned (thanks to her chatty coworkers) that the guy actually downloaded a virus by accident or not. So screw that, she didn’t sympathized the guy anymore. The office was busy today trying to recover data from backups.

“Man, that guy is an idiot. Just download movies at home, of course they’re going to track him down.” Momo huffed and drank her daily routine caffeine.

“I had to redo all the files I did 2 months ago. It makes me want to throw my monitor out the window.” Luna demonstrated with an invincible monitor and tossed it in the air to show her frustration.

“Finally he gets kicked out. Every Monday I go to work and ask ‘This motherer is still here? What the ? He plays Candy Crush all day!’”

“The man has been wearing that same dam suit since day one.”

“I don’t dig his style though… his bangs… they swing to the side so much when actually, his bangs graphed the increasing numbers of time he helped girls decide that staying single was a better choice.”

Her coworkers really weren’t letting this go. There was so much animosity in the room that Yeri learned more about the guy through his misconducts, apparently he wasn’t favoured by anyone in the office.

“At least he left before Miss Bae could throw the guy out herself.” Luna and Momo nodded.

“Why? Is she that bad?” Yeri wondered why she was the talk of the generation.

“Usually when you’re asked to go see the boss, it’s baaddd.” Luna dragged out the word.

“Bad like, you feel like you have to throw out your self-esteem every garbage day because it starts to turn brown that even Wal-Mart’s workers don’t want it. Then pray that you’ll get a new one.”

 “Oh.”

“One time she said she’ll pay elementary school kids to teach me how to read time. I came in late that day.” Luna remembered Irene’s laser eyes pierced through her head.

“I remember she yelled at me for coming in with a bad hangover, but I tuned out.” Momo laughed at her rebellious act.

They shared their life threating moments before manager came in the break room and shoo them away to go back to work. They could only wonder how one unfortunate night discovery could create humongous stacks of work. This was what you call a ripple effect.

 

--

 

Wendy didn’t have the greatest slumber last night, but at least she wasn’t tired. She sat on the hotel bed and waited for Irene to finish washing up so she could brush her teeth. They woke up early for breakfast and the board meeting was scheduled right after. Wendy looked through the materials on her phone that she was supposed to present today.

“Wendy” Irene exited the bathroom with full makeup on.

“Ye-Yes?” Wendy stuttered. She was still not sure if her boss was still mad from last night. She didn’t want to say anything carelessly and have it blow up at her face.

“We’re going back early from this business trip. There’s a lot going in the office and I need you there as well.”

“Okay” Wendy obediently agreed.

“Are you ready for today’s meeting?”

“Yes Miss Bae”

“Good” Irene started to organize her suitcase.

Wendy knew that she was supposed to have a professional business relationship with her boss. Irene may not be much of a conversationalist, but she wanted to them to be a bit comfortable with each other. She wanted to go as far in saying more than just ‘Yes’ or ‘Okay’.  She wasn’t going to dive into Irene’s personal life, but it’d be nice to be companionable. Just knowing a scratch of the surface about their likes and dislikes wouldn’t hurt.

Actually she now knew that Irene sings, so that counts. Maybe that’s not enough, Wendy was deep in her thoughts.

But those thoughts got shot out so quickly when she saw Irene undressing in front of her.

WHAT?! Oh my god.

Wendy’s eyes widen and turned her head.

 She was not sure if she should turn around completely to give her privacy or just pretend to be nonchalant about it. Even though they were both girls and this would be perfectly normal, but she’s seeing too much of Irene than she intended. Or did she want to?

She did a double take on Irene and was so amazed by her. Her skin looked so smooth and her body was so tiny. If there was a ‘Hot’ button right now, she would smack it 10 times.

Why is she so perfect? Hoollyy. Wait I look like a ert right now. I need to get ready too.

Wendy decided to get change on the spot as well since Irene was brave enough and took the initiative to exhibit herself first. So whatever, didn’t seem like she cared. They both wore a suit and headed down to get breakfast.

She saw glimpses of them walking together through the hotel’s mirrors and wondered if people mistook them as celebrities. Actually more like, Irene the celebrity and Wendy the loyal manager. Her boss was freaking beautiful and she deserved all the entitlement. People did stare at them on the way down.

While eating breakfast, Wendy took the chance to strike a conversation.

“Um, Miss Bae, I was wondering if you know any good wine that I could buy. It’s for my sister.” Wendy nervously initiated.

Irene looked up from her plate.

“What kind of wine are you looking for?”

“I think she likes red wine.”

“Hmm… I think I know one then. You don’t drink Wendy?”

Wendy wasn’t really a fan of alcohol.

“Not very often.”

“I’ll show you after our meeting.”

“Thanks.”

The conversation was very short, but still substantial. Wendy thought that was a great progress, even if it was pretty lame.

Irene was really different when she was not having her Godzilla moments. She was relaxed and mysteriously interesting. Wendy felt so privileged to see this side of her.

 

---

 

They went into the board meeting where Wendy thought they were entering into some political debate after seeing how many people there were sitting around the huge round table. It was almost the half the size of people in her company, she expected to be this serious anyways. The board meeting began when all the seats were filled.

Some CEO named Seohyun conquered this meeting and annihilated anyone that stood in her way. It seemed like she knew how to push people to their edge without a choice. She brought up all profound issues and no one could really dodge her bullet.

Were all CEOs this assertive? They all share the same fierceness as Irene.

“Mr. Minho, I understand your concerns and why your company needs to push for a special arrangement, but that would simply mean you are at risk with your reputation. The media hasn’t been very nice at all.” Seohyun said through her serious expression.

“There are no other ways we can break through with how things are. Our stock market has gone down after the news found out that some illegal trading happened with my employees. I am very ashamed that this incident has occurred without my knowledge, but I’m very positive that this method will work.”

“You should take a few steps back and see how that would affect your partnership with us.”

“I agree with Miss Seohyun. If you do choose to follow up with your plans, it may not seem like a big impact but it does affect us. Everyone else has not adapted to these changes. Thus, we would have to scramble around to keep up and it may not be to our liking.”

Okay these were all big talks among the CEOs and Wendy was not sure how she would fit into this. Although, she felt marvelled being involved in these meeting like she was hanging out with her older brother’s cool friends.

Few hours in, Wendy finally had the chance to speak. She was petrified of talking in front of all these powerful people like she was being thrown into a pack of wolves. It was either a stay alive or get eaten situation. She tried to avoid looking into their eyes.

So she started off. “In these last few months, the shift in the market…”

She did her best trying to get her presentation done without looking like she wanted to run away from all the eagle eyes on her. Some asked questions and she answered back. Some gave her a nod of acknowledgement and she was ready to drop the invincible microphone like she had done her job burning some knowledge into their brains.

ittt.

She couldn’t tell what Irene was thinking, but her eyes were sparkling and that had to mean something good. She can finally have another well rest at night without worrying if Irene might kill her if she messed up.

After the meeting was done, everyone had stripped away from their CEO position, like the magic had finally worn off. As if the tension in the board room didn’t occur and they were all friendly toward each other.

“Good job on your presentation Wendy” Seohyun praised and smiled sweetly.

“Thank you. You were very admirable, Miss Seohyun.” Wendy bowed.

“Ah, no needed to be formal. We all need a break from being professional” Seohyun waved off and turned to Irene.

“Irene, will you and Wendy be joining us for dinner later?”

“Ah, I would love to but unfortunately there’s something happening back in my office so I must head back.” Irene said with regrets in her voice.

“Aw, I was looking forward to catching up with you.” Seohyun pouted cutely, contradicting her strong persona in the board room.

“Me too. But we’ll see each other soon.” Irene formed a smile.

“Next time, ask me to perform with you.” Seohyun winked. They both giggled and shared a hug before bidding goodbye. Then Irene linked her arm around Wendy’s, startling her with the spontaneous skinship.

“Let’s go get that wine.”

 

---

 

“This one is my favourite.” Irene placed the wine bottled on top of the counter.

“It has the sweetness taste that I love and it isn’t too strong.”

Wendy tried to read the labels, but had no idea what it meant. Her facial expression went blank and opted to trust her boss’s opinion.

Irene showed her another bottle.

“This one is also good when you’re dining, but I like the first one better.” Wendy just nodded. She wouldn’t know the difference between them anyways. Don’t they all taste the same?

“I’ll just get the first one then.” She finally decided.

Wendy was delighted that she got to have another interaction with Irene. After today, Irene wasn’t so bad after all, just as long she didn’t piss her off. She grabbed two wine bottles of the same ones and made her purchased.

Driving back was a lot more bearable than the first. She was able to exchange conversations with Irene and offered to drive back. They laughed at small jokes and Irene started cursing at the drivers in front of them which made Wendy laugh even more. She felt a little closer to Irene, but she wasn’t sure if this would go all away once they’re back in the office. At least they ended it with a good note.

When Irene finally dropped her off, Wendy took out one of her wine bottles and handed it to Irene.

“This is my appreciation for giving this opportunity to me. I hope you enjoy it.” Wendy smiled with gratitude.

Irene took the bottle and held Wendy’s arm before she could take off.

“Will you drink with me some time?” Irene looked into Wendy’s eyes.

Wendy was surprised at the notion and then cheered inside. Alcohol wasn’t her thing, but it was a chance to get to know Irene.

“Sure.”

She bowed her head with a smile and bid goodbye. Irene responded with a hand squeeze which made her heart leaped.

“Be in the office tomorrow.”

 

---

 

“Sooo, how was Miss Bae?” Seulgi wriggled her eyebrow. Wendy ignored her teasing tone.

“Good. Did you miss her?”

“No, why would I?”

“Because if this was North Korea, she would’ve executed all of you.”

Seulgi scoffed.

“I did nothing wrong. We were all happy that you had her all to yourself.”

“You didn’t reply to any of my message afterwards, you know how much of a nervous wreck I was?” Wendy complained. Seulgi wasn’t really good with replying for some reason. If you were lucky, you get to see her reply instantly. Otherwise, you have to wait 3 hours later or never.

 “Wendy unnie! You’re back!” Yeri skipped cheerfully to her.

“Hey Yeri.”

“I saw your Snapchat. You look great in suits.”

“Well I am not Seungwan oppa for no reason” Wendy flipped her hair for dramatic effect.

“But your blue hair turns me off” Yeri said without remorse. Wendy’s jaw dropped and Seulgi was cracking up at the side.

“Why you little…”

“No seriously, why blue? I hope you’re not going to go green next because your hair will look like boogers”

“People said they love my blue hair.” Wendy took a few strands and looked at her hair.

“Well they said that so they don’t actually hurt your feelings when they meant it really looks toothpaste-ACK”

Wendy poked Yeri hard in the ribs.

“It’s the new trend kid. Don’t you go on Pinterest?”

“Did Pinterest also teach you to be more unattractive?”

Wendy’s hand flew up to pinch her cheeks and Yeri shrieked.

“AAAHHHH!”

“No, but you did.” Then proceed head locking Yeri.

They were interrupted when heard someone cleared their throat, simultaneously looking up to see the source of the noise. Irene stood there with a frown and with daggering cold eyes. They could feel the chills in their body from the way their boss intimidate them.

“Back to work” she growled.

The three of them bowed to her as an apology and watched Irene walked away. Wendy didn’t expect to see Irene this soon and be caught choking Yeri. Also, Irene didn’t look pleased with it either. Yesterday Irene was acting sweet, but today she took on her usual superior role. Wendy didn’t dwell on the hot and cold behaviour from Irene, but she was curious what Irene thought of her. Did Irene find her strange now? Was she still on her favourite list?

Screw these rumours. It was making her think of weird things again.

 

---

 

Wendy visited Tiffany’s filming set during the weekend. Her sister whined that she wasn’t getting enough rest or eating well. Wendy made her lunch and packed it out of the goodness of her heart. She watched the beginning episodes of the drama that Tiffany currently filmed in. It felt awesome to be part of the behind the set and watch how they directed the scenes.

Even though Tiffany wasn’t chosen to be the main protagonist, she was very proud of Tiffany. She was a rising star and done quite a few films already. Seeing Tiffany in a new light where she was very focused in memorizing her lines was different when she’s used to the laid back and quirky sister.

“I smell meat.” Tiffany sniffed and instantly turned her head.

“I packed you some kimchii and some other side dishes.” Wendy placed the lunch boxes on the table. Tiffany eyed what Wendy was carrying in the other hand.

“Thanks, what are you planning to do with that wine bottle? I didn’t know that you started drinking.”

Wendy gave the wine bottle to Tiffany and she examined it.

“I got it during my trip.”

“Ohh, this one is my favourite! How did you know?” The typical hyper Tiffany was back.

 “I had some help.”

“Hmm… I can’t wait to drink it when I get back to my trailer.” She hugged the bottle dreamingly.

“You’re not going be drunk on set are you?”

“Tsh. Who do you think I am?” She flipped her hair. “I am a professional actress. I don’t get drunk with one bottle.”

Wendy could only roll her eyes.

Such an alcoholic.

“Tiffany! We’re back in five minutes!” They heard her manager yell, cueing Tiffany to get ready. She turned back to Wendy and patted her head.

“Okay baby girl. Stay as long as you want, but don’t wait for me. Bye.” Tiffany blew her a kiss and returned back to her job.

Wendy watched Tiffany get immersed into her role with the other actors. Their jobs were completely different and she couldn’t really imagine herself in Tiffany’s shoes, nor could she imagine Tiffany in hers unless she had to act it out.

After watching Tiffany transform into a side chick girl with an unrequited love toward the main actor, usually she’d cringed, but since it was Tiffany, she was cracking up at the side. Romance wasn’t her thing but contradictory, 80% of the dramas she watched had some sort of romance. Romance was too flowery for her taste, she preferred a good story line with maybe some comedy. She never envision what her wedding dress would look like (they’re all white anyways) or fantasize about first dates. As a child, she would wear baggy clothes and spend most of her day lip syncing to lyrics. Sometimes she would sing.

So when her dad told her, ‘No dating until you’re done school’.

Most teenagers would rebel and try to breach the rule, but Wendy just shrugged and said ‘Okay’.

There wasn’t anything wrong with her, she just liked spending time alone. It’s a misconception that people interpret it as lonely or depress, but that wasn’t true. She enjoyed experimenting in the kitchen, strumming her guitar, and watching YouTube. She loved it.

Romance can wait until she’s ready or jump scare into her life.

 

--

 

“Why did they put you here with us?” Yeri frowned and eyes softly glowered at the newly recruited girl.

Joy was neatly placing her belonging on the desks, beside Yeri and also directly behind Wendy and Seulgi. She specifically requested her manager to put her beside them.

“Why not? It’ll be like a college reunion. We’re always stuck together. Funny how I’m here with my bestie and my old classmate” Joy ignored Yeri’s glares.

“You have friends?”

“Of course you dork, it’s no other then my own Pikachu Seulgi” She pointed at Seulgi.

“Pikaachuuu.” Seulgi attempted a light humour, only to be ignored. They paused for a few second before Joy turned back to Yeri.

“My question is, why are you here?”

“Me?” Yeri pointed at herself.

“Yeah”

“I’ve been put here to ‘gain some experience’” she used her fingers to quote herself.

“Or you’re just a newbie and they don’t trust you at all.”

“Looks who’s talking newbie.”

Wendy and Seulgi didn’t really know what it was between Joy and Yeri, but they assumed they have a love-hate relationship.

“You know, I think you fit quite well here. We have a ratio of 7 to 3 and the majority being incredibly ignorant to pay attention to their actual job and becoming a hindrance to everybody. So welcome Joy.” Yeri sarcastically mocked.

“I’m guessing you’re with the other .”

“Nuh uh, I’m going to–” Yeri was cut off when she heard the manager screamed across the room.

“STOP WATCHING YOUTUBE! YOU’RE TAKING UP ALL THE BANWIDTH!”

They waited for the smell of trouble to go away before Yeri eyes shot to Joy with ‘see I told you’. Joy resumed unboxing her items and arranged them to look systematically.

Then Joy went up to Seulgi’s cubicle and pinned a picture on her wall, smiling proudly at her work. Seulgi’s looked at it and then tried to burn it with her eyes. The small Polaroid picture captured the moment where Seulgi was knocked out with wide opened and drooled on the side while Joy was posing for the camera. It was not her very proud picture moment in spite the fact that she was not awake for it.

“This is to illustrate our 12 years of friendship together. Isn’t it cute?”

“Why do you still have it? You’re so embarrassing.” She tried to rip it off, but Joy swatted her hand away before she could.

“After you made me wait alone in the cold because you forgot and took a nap when we’re supposed to watch a movie together, you have no right to touch it.” Joy said with much bitterness in her voice.

Being reminded again, Seulgi’s hand retreated back in guilt and pouted. Joy had been using that excuse against Seulgi for weeks and Seulgi was too soft hearted to fight back. Joy smiled in triumph and returned back to her desk. Wendy rolled her chair over in curiosity and laughed at the amusing picture.

“I already like Joy.” Wendy said.

“Well you shouldn’t” Seulgi quickly retorted.

“Why not?”

“Because you only need Miss Bae.”

Being alarmed, Wendy told Seulgi to shut up with her eyes but it was already too late. Seulgi was going to poke fun of Wendy for as long she was alive.

“Say what?!” Yeri piped up in interest.

“Ou, office romance. I’m intrigued.” Joy joined in.

Wendy tried to wave it off.

“Seulgi’s lying.”

“Not when everyone else in this building agrees with me.” Seulgi smiled mischievously.

Wendy sighed and covered her face with her hands. She’s never going to hear the end of this.

 

--

 

Wendy greeted Jackson, known to be the office cutie and jokester, as she went to get coffee. She found him cute, and so did the other female population in their workplace. Because of that, it made him less special to Wendy, but she enjoyed chatting away with him.

“How was your one night stand?” Jackson teased, being the fourth person questioning her.

“There was no one night stand. And the business meeting went well.”

“Wendy, I know your career is going really well but you need a partner eventually.”

“I still have a lifetime to find one.” Wendy stirred her coffee after putting cream and sugar.

“Nonsense, you can still have fun.” Jackson wrapped his toned arm around her shoulder and his other hand moved slowly in the air like he was painting the sky.

“There’s so much… you need to experience and accomplish before you can blow Miss Bae’s mind with how good you are in bed.”

Wendy’s face contorted in disgust.

“You playboy, I don’t see her like that.”

“Or she’ll blow your mind away.” Wendy poked his sides as he winced.

“Why am I having this talk with you?”

“I’m trying to prepare you for reality. Don’t you know that CEOs like to be submissive in bed?”

“Oh my god…” Wendy sighed helplessly.

“It’s true! Think about it, they’re always in control of everything in their life and for once they want someone to control them in bed.”

“You’re being ridiculous. There’s nothing between us.” Wendy huffed in frustration.

“Yet” Jackson sleazy smirked and released Wendy.

“Anyways, how’s your diet going?” Jackson wiped off his playfulness and changed his tone back to a softer one.

“It’s alright. I give into temptation once in a while.” Wendy sipped her coffee.

“I’m not sure why you need the diet, you already look perfect. What more do you need to lose?”

Wendy now understood why Jackson was so popular, he was a charmer and a sweet talker.

 “Don’t you know? It’s everybody’s dream to look like a starving idol.”

“Isn’t your sister an actress?”

“Yeah and she looks great.”

“Is she also on a diet?”

“Of course, but she exercises a lot so she doesn’t need to starve.” Wendy knew Tiffany was a workaholic.

“Still, it sounds painful to be famous. You shouldn’t take it so hard either.” He patted her back.

“Thanks. I still want that beach body though.”

Jackson shook his head.

“I don’t get girls.”

“Don’t worry, me too.”

 

--

 

It’s been a week and half since she last saw Irene, but Wendy didn’t pay attention that much since time flew by so fast. There were so many deadlines that her stress had taken a big toll and the purple bags under her eyes grew darker. She wanted to get up and march to some of her coworkers and shout at them ‘GET YOUR TOGETHER’.

The office was busy and hustling around, emails were flying everywhere and Wendy barely could keep up. Yeri who always seemed like she had lots of free time was pleasantly quiet and stuck at her desk. Wendy just wanted to find a couch (apparently there was one at the office) and close her eyes.

Krystal went up to her with a frown.

“Yo, some of the documents that were sent from someone are not even labelled properly.” Krystal threw a few stacks of papers in front of Wendy.

“Hate to give you more work, but could you fix them? I’m running a bit late with the meeting and boss is going to nail my if these are not done soon.”

Wendy wanted to cry but she was too nice to say no.

“Sure.” She nodded, grimly, eyes fighting to keep open.

“Thanks so much. Don’t kill yourself just yet.” Krystal left, leaving Wendy with more burdens.

She diligently did her job and accomplishing each task, she didn’t have a choice anyways. Even Seulgi, who was a sweetheart, sounded like she wanted to murder someone. She could hear Seulgi close to ripping her hair out and mumbling to herself.

“Why are the numbers not matching…who put this zero here?!”

Wendy checked her phone when she heard a message notification.

 

Sorry to bother again, I actually need those documents now.
Bring them to the meeting room.

From Krystal

 

Feeling like a zombie, she lifelessly walked through the hallway and stood in front of the room. She knocked twice before opening it. She was surprised to see Irene there at the meeting with a few other people. Feeling the tension in the room, she bowed before spotting Krystal.

“Here.” She whispered and handed over the papers.

“Thanks, life saver.” Krystal patted Wendy’s arm affectionately.

Wendy didn’t have the energy to smile, right now she needed rest. She calculated the free minutes that allowed her to hide and snooze before she’d land in the danger zone. Coffee wasn’t working that well for her. She finished most of the work that had been shoved at her so she could spare time for a break.

Quickly leaving the room, she walked around and found the couch in a small room. Luckily no one was there and decided it was going to be her napping spot. Setting her alarm, she gave herself 20 minutes before closing her eyes.

When she opened her eyes, it certainly didn’t feel like 20 minutes. She can still feel her tired and bloodshot eyes, feeling like the dead. Something was different, her eyes landed on Irene and then her mind was in full alert again.

JESUS. MOTHER. OF. CHRIST.

Wendy shot right up and saw Irene sitting beside her. Her mind had already formed apologies and she ended up rapping them out in panic.

“I’m so sorry, I umm… I wasn’t really feeling well so I came here to rest for a while. I wasn’t going to take long, I was gonna wake up in 5 minutes and get back to work. I didn’t mean to slack off at all. I’m so sorry.”

Irene giggled at the silliness and it confused Wendy like she didn’t just get caught red handed. Irene’s eyes were soft and showed no signs of malice in them.

“You looked tired.”

“I umm… yeah” Wendy couldn’t read Irene’s facial expression. She didn’t look angry, so that was a good thing. Right?

“It’s not very common when I find out that my employees disappear from their work.”

Yeah, I’m so screwed.

She gave her a puppy look and prepared to receive a scolding. Interestingly enough, Irene didn’t lecture her.

“I need you with us Wendy. I know it’s hard, but you can relax after this is all done.”

“Yes, I understand.” She looked down in shame, admitting to her guilt. Irene took her hand and pulled them off the couch, standing up.

“Come to my office when this is over.” Irene said with a gentle tone.

Wendy tilted her head, not being sure what she’s insinuating.

“I’ve been saving that wine for you.”

 

TBC

 

A/N: I'm kinda shy speaking to the public.

Anyways, this is such a slow-burn thing with Wenrene. It's my first fanfic story that I've posted so thanks for reading.