We Used to Visit the Park Often

Immortals: Everything They Sacrificed

Lucia- A Walk at Sunset

It was raining for the third day in a week and judging from the dark clouds hovering over the city, it wasn't going to stop anytime soon.

"This feels like I'm back in Britain."

The stores all around the neighborhood were closing up for the day. It was still winter even if the day grew longer and the weather softened up. It was still cold but not like before. Spring was coming and everyone could feel it, smell it in the air even.

The woman sighed, rearranging her ugly orange beanie over her messy dark hair. She needed to shower as soon as possible and change her clothes. When she left that morning it was colder and her sweater kept her warm but right after lunch, a wave of hot wind passed over Seoul and she became too warm. Besides, she really hated tight clothing.

The woman sighed once again when she heard the ringing of her doorbell. She was expecting a customer but the woman that entered the mini market looked too fit and glamorous to be there for ramyeon.

"Close the store and let's go have fun." The glamorous woman started coldly, moving with heavy long steps towards the counter.

"It's raining." The less glamorous woman mumbled, not feeling like going out.

"It's been raining for three days already. The weather doesn't affect you anyway so let's go."

When her request didn't seem to be listened to, the glamorous woman narrowed her eyes and grabbed the less glamorous woman by her ugly sweater. The force was quite impressive as she literally pulled the woman over the counter.

"Everyone is closing up so why aren't you?"

The victim was in a very uncomfortable position but looking into her eyes, she didn't seem fazed. Or maybe it was the huge round glasses that were hiding her true feelings.

"Are you waiting for him again?" The violent woman hissed, her eyes narrowing so much that she looked like a pissed off cat.

But the victim didn't even blink. Instead, she turned her head towards the wide window with longing.

The violent woman groaned and let her victim go, feeling like she wanted to puke.

"Seriously, Yerin. We have been through this before, haven't we?"

The victim, now Yerin, shrugged and sat back down on her seat behind the counter.

"Then you should already know what I have to say." She mumbled, pushing up her glasses. They were sliding off her nose a lot these past few weeks.

"Fine. But after he passes, we're going to the club."

"A bar at best." Yerin combated and surprisingly enough, the glamorous woman agreed.


Time passed differently for the two women. While the glamorous one was trying her best to entertain herself with some jelly, Yerin was sitting calmly with no expression on her face. One or two customers entered to buy necessities but left quickly. It was already past 10 o'clock when Yerin tensed.

"He's here?"

Yerin nodded, turning her whole attention on the window. It was really good that the alley down towards the main street was just next to her store and she could see every person walking by.

"I can hear his steps." Yerin mumbled, watching with anticipation.

The man that was walking to his home was tall, good looking with a strong jaw and big black eyes. Just like the day before, he wore a black sweater with black pants and a black coat over.

Yerin was growing anxious and her friend could hear her heart beating twice faster than normal. One man dressed in all black passing by the store was making quite the impact.

"If I can hear your heart, he can too. I think even Liu Wei can hear it and he's on the other side of the city."

But Yerin couldn't care less. Even if that was true, there were numerous cases for her heart to beat so fast.

Once the man passed Yerin's heartbeats slowed down. She was back to normal and she was ready to close the store for the day.

"Finally," The glamorous woman mumbled rolling her eyes.


"You do realize we cannot go there with you looking like an old granny."

Yerin chuckled and nodded.

"Then you go first and I'll come later, Jiwon."

Jiwon's eyes widened and quickly intertwined her arm through Yerin's, not letting go.

"Let's go straight there, granny. I'm going to show you how to have fun instead of stalking a man."

Yerin's eyes glistened in the dark as she let her friend drag her to Itaewon.


The apartment was dark and the less to no furniture living room was even sourer looking. But then again, the owner of the apartment was a mystery and just as his neighbors have learned, the third floor was not to be approached.

Probably that was the main reason they didn't even change the light bulb when it broke. Luckily, the owner could easily see in the darkness and don't fall on the stairs.

Once home, he the lights and went straight into the kitchen. On his way back home he heard the fast heartbeats of someone and could literally hear the blood rushing through her body. It was both sickening and mesmerizing.

Fortunately, he had supplies and didn't have to go out. He really hated going out except for work and the casual meetings he had to be there for. His occupation wasn't exactly well seen by the society but someone had to do it too.

"Ugh," He groaned when he smelled his coat. It stunk with chloroform and he swore there was something else mixed in.

Showering was the best way to relax his muscles. He has been working all day in a very confined place and even down there, it was difficult to breath.

Once he finished his shower, he went straight into his room with nothing but a towel wrapped tightly around his waist. He had nothing to be embarrassed about. He has been living by himself for a long time now.

The phone rang right when he let himself fall on his back on the bed. He groaned when he remembered he left it on the table in the kitchen. Groggily, he walked there and answered in a low husky voice.

"Yes?"

Something happened because he frowned. It wasn't something big but it seemed like he had to do it himself to be done right.

"Fine. I'll be there shortly."


When Jiwon pushed Yerin through the doors to the luxurious bar, she didn't really think it through. Yerin almost fell on her face but luckily the bartender came to her aid.

"Are you alright, Miss?"

When she raised her head and he got a good view of her, it became awkward. She was dressed poorly; her eyes were covered by big round glasses and let's not forget the ugly orange beanie that had her hair tucked inside.

Thankfully, Jiwon entered and quickly pulled her friend on her feet. The bartender swallowed nervously at the force of the tall woman.

"No need to act so scared. I'm a regular here." Jiwon announced.

But that wasn't his worry. His eyes moved on the ugly dressed woman, checking out her whole outfit before grimacing.

"It's alright, Seojoon. That ugly thing right there is Yerin." Liu Wei started as he strutted towards them in his very expensive suit.

Seojoon's eyes widened before he nodded and left. Liu Wei took his place instead and sneered at the ugly outfit.

"You come in here dressed like a granny. Do you want me to go out of business?" He scoffed before he took at least the glasses off. "Come on."

With Liu Wei and Jiwon leading the way, Yerin remained in the back with every eye turning to her with a scoff. She couldn't care less but for her friends, she did take off her beanie. It didn't improve her image at all but at least she was trying.

"Here,"

Their table was in the back, reserved only by the staff usually. The staff was pretty much Liu Wei, Seojoon and Minwoo: two bartenders and the boss. Eventually, Jiwon would help because she didn't have anything else to do but Yerin never did. She was hiding behind those ugly boyish clothes or inside her store all day long.

"Did you wait until he passed your store again?" Liu Wei asked, knowing why they arrived so late. "Aren't you sick of it? Just talk to him already."

Yerin chuckled as she finally gave up on the sweater and remained in her black sleeveless undershirt.

"That's not the point."

Jiwon scoffed before she grabbed the wine from Minwoo and poured herself. The dimpled boy narrowed his eyes at her before he sat next to Liu Wei.

"The point is we could hear you from here." Minwoo added with a boyish grin. "If we could then he could too."

"Again, that is beside the point." Yerin answered with a poker face before she swallowed her drink in one long gulp. The liquid felt warm as it went down . It made her feel better.

"Look, we know you are the responsible one even if you are hiding in that store of yours. You know him so why can't he know you?"

"Because he already does," Yerin announced, surprising Minwoo.

Jiwon and Liu Wei already knew the story so they quickly interfered.

"By the way, why are you standing here? Don't you have a job to do? Don't leave Seojoon alone with the clients."

Minwoo rolled his eyes but complied and left. He knew when to not question his boss and save his energy for better things.

"You do know he is older than you." Yerin cut in with a smile on her face.

Liu Wei raised an eyebrow, "No he is not. I died a long time ago, remember?"

"Even if he is fresher, he has been changed at a later stage than you have." Yerin added as she poured herself another drink.

"It doesn't matter. I am still a few hundred years older than him. When was he changed? Late 1980’s? Well, I was already around by then."

Jiwon rolled her eyes, "That’s only because Yerin found you and saved you. You're lucky she was in China back then."

"I was in the army of a great king. I was general! People wouldn't even dare look into my eyes."

Jiwon and Yerin looked at each other skeptically.

"I was! Besides, I am a great asset to this group. I can fight unlike you two."

"Curious because I am sure Yerin beat the crap out of you before she changed you."

"She was in an angry state back then, that's why. She wanted to eat that's why she killed those scumbags anyway. I was different."

"I am different now too. Times have changed."

All three of them agreed and toasted to that. Times have changed a lot and technology evolved.

"It's a pleasure living during this phase of humanity." Liu Wei added, leaning back with a wide charming smile. "You shouldn't let anything drag you back to the past, Yerin. It's ok to watch but it's better to forget about him altogether."

Yerin looked down at her hands, remembering those same words coming from someone else.

"Don't let one insignificant life destroy a whole race. It's not your responsibility to take care of a fresh face. You should focus on your people and their fate."

"He's one of us now. He is one of those people." She added coldly, raising her head in order to look at the man across her.

"No, he's not. He has too much power over his leader and that can easily instigate others to surpass their levels. You are the leader and you cannot live for yourself." The elder stated firmly, his eyes narrowing at her near the end.

But just like him, she was stubborn and wouldn't comply with the desires and manipulation of others.

"We'll see,"


"Welcome sir. Should I take your coat?" Seojoon asked with a sly smile.

The new customer shook his head as he walked past the young boy and searched for the familiar smell of his coworker. It was still very strong after work but he had two more people around him, both smelling very sweet.

Arriving at his table, he realized the sweetness was coming from the perfume of two women. It was exactly the same perfume but they looked slightly different.

"Lee Dongwook! Finally here. Come, come. The ladies have been waiting."

Dongwook looked unpleased but he sat down nevertheless. One of the women sat next to him while the other was laughing next to his colleague. The perfume was a bit intoxicating and the overall place had an alluring atmosphere. It was strange how a local bar looked so messy on the outside yet quite elegant on the inside; also, Dongwook was sure it was bigger on the inside somehow.

A dimpled well dressed man approached their table and smiled, placing another glass in front of Dongwook and filling it with scotch.

Dongwook glanced at the lady next to him awkwardly before he turned towards the bartender. The dimpled man smelled of wine and maybe a bit of something else, but it was far better than the sweetness engulfing him with chloroform added from his workmate.

As soon as he finished, the bartender left and Dongwook turned to his work mate.

"You said there was a mistake in the last file. Where is the mistake?"

"Come on, hyung! Don't be so tense. Drink up and let's talk about work later. I called you here for a different reason."

"I can clearly see that." Dongwook mumbled before he gulped down the glass in one shot.

"This is Hyejin, she works at a prestigious law firm. We met during a case, haven't we?" The girl nodded, her eyes glinting in the dim lit room. "Next to you is her roommate, Hwayoung. She's a nurse."

Dongwook cracked a short smile, trying to be polite before he turned to his workmate.

"Dongwook and I work together. We both graduated from the same university, only he is my senior by a few years. Ever since I have met him, he's never talked about his life or his family but he proved to be very professional and loyal."

"Ji Soo-"

"Hyung is a workaholic and doesn't go out much. He doesn't speak that much either but I'm sure he wouldn't stay mute with such a pretty woman next to him." Ji Soo added, making the girls laugh.

Dongwook frowned feeling like his friend was only entangling him more into a web he wanted to avoid. He suddenly rose and looked around, seeing Minwoo chuckling bemusedly as he pointed somewhere. It was the bathroom and Dongwook took that chance immediately.

"Excuse me," He smiled at Hwayoung, action that seemed to cover his sudden leave. That didn't work with Ji Soo, though. He rose as well but only to whisper something to his friend.

"Don't think you'll escape tonight, hyung. You have already made an image with the women in our building so don't dare leave me again." Ji Soo hissed before patting him as if they were best friends.

Dongwook left as quickly as possible, passing Minwoo on the way to the bathroom.

As soon as Dongwook disappeared behind the door, Minwoo turned to the three people chatting at the table as if everything was well. They had a distinctive smell, of blood being pumped from their hearts rapidly as if they could die any minute now. It was interesting how alcohol worked in a human's body and how much it could affect their minds.

Minwoo glanced at the bathroom door and chuckled. That man was different. His heart was pumping blood at a different rate, slower not for keeping him alive but more for keeping him warm. The blood was thicker and wasn't moving as fast as a human's. The man in the bathroom was a vampire and he smelled like death, even after showering.


When Dongwook walked out of the bathroom, he felt somewhat better. He hid in there for ten minutes but he figured he had to get out at some point. Ji Soo was still there with two girls that had no fault. It was all just a plan to get him out and socializing, which he wasn't very keen to do. At least not with people he didn't approach first.

But when Dongwook looked at the table, Ji Soo was laughing loudly while the women seemed content. They were having fun, talking about their school years and whatnot, Dongwook could hear them easily.

"It seems you are not needed anymore." Minwoo intervened from his place behind the bar. He looked innocent but something about him was different.

"Should I thank you for that?" Dongwook asked raising one eyebrow.

Minwoo bit his lower lip and shook his head amused by the situation.

"You can still have a drink if you want. Your friend already paid." Minwoo added while grabbing a glass and a bottle of red wine. Dongwook raised an eyebrow curiously but when Minwoo opened it, the taller man knew exactly what was inside.

"It's alright. I'll just leave for the night." Dongwook replied, turning towards the exit.

"I'm leaving and you can't stop me, Liu Wei."

Minwoo turned towards the noisy customers. At the same time, so did Dongwook. A woman dressed really strange was being pulled back by a tall woman dressed better.

"One hour! Just one more hour!" The better looking woman tried to make a deal but it didn't look like it would work.


The woman dressed strangely rolled her eyes and glanced at the bar. Her eyes fell on Minwoo before they averted on Dongwook. She froze. He could hear her heart beating faster before she literally shoved the other woman away and hurried out.

When she passed the bar, Dongwook felt something, a fragrance that he almost forgot about. Almost.

"Who was that woman?" Dongwook asked the dimpled man.

"The Boss." He answered, his eyes sparkling with newfound curiosity.