Youth

Immortals: Everything They Sacrificed

OOHYO- Youth

Ji Soo was officially banished from the pub and firmly advised to stay around his friends and family for the time being. Jiwon and Seojoon were the lookouts outside and Liu Wei was pacing inside the bar. Every few steps he would stop and glance at the back where the former Joseon thief was about to lock Yerin in the storage room.

"Here." She said handing him a small vial. "If someone I changed is deadly hurt, give it to them."

Joon didn't know how to respond so he just nodded and locked her in. She turned and looked at the first bottle before she let herself go.


"Do you think she'll be able to regain herself?" Joon asked a few minutes later, "And where the heck is Minwoo?"

"Looking for this?" Dohwan entered the bar as if it was his. He threw something at Liu Wei's feet before he smirked.

Joon frowned. Liu Wei felt like he wanted to vomit. Although they had their differences, he never expected to see Minwoo's severed head at his feet. His eyes were still wide open and he seemed to have expected this outcome. The expression was going to haunt Liu Wei for the rest of his existence.

Seojoon and Jiwon followed the dangerous vampire in and they both froze at the sight. Seojoon could feel the string around his neck disappear as the person that transformed him was now a corpse-less head.

"Don't you feel better, kid? You're free now." Dohwan said wrapping a hand around Seojoon's still figure.

"Hands off, newbie." Jiwon said pulling Seojoon behind her. "You have no idea what you got yourself into."

"My, my, how feisty. I bet your blood tastes exquisite, just like your master's." Dohwan said approaching Jiwon and leaning towards her with a mischievous glint in his eyes. "Too bad you'll die tonight."

"You just try and see what happens." She hissed, her fangs growing under his eyes.

Dohwan chuckled and flashed behind her, grabbing Seojoon and throwing him onto several tables. Liu Wei flinched when he remembered how expensive they were. Dohwan grabbed Jiwon by the neck but she was strong enough to kick him away, against another expensive painting that was hanging innocently on the wall. Liu Wei felt his heart break a little.

"You're really pissing me off now. They should have taught you some manners before they sold you to the foreigners." Dohwan stated, having done a thorough background check on Yerin and her pets.

That was Jiwon’s weakness and, as it was proven throughout time, her reason to live. Liu Wei glanced at her with worry knowing that Jiwon's past was still a sensitive subject for her. Not even Minwoo dared bring that up before and they never shared it with Seojoon.

Joon was more worried of the number of vampires that were approaching the pub, hearing them approach from all directions. He had a little army on standby but Igor was coming in like he was Caesar entering Egypt. It was dangerous.

Besides, they could hear noise coming from the back. Liu Wei was first to grab Seojoon before the storm truly hit the pub. It was very, very close and he didn’t want to interfere when Yerin was losing control.

Jiwon was ready to attack when Liu Wei grabbed her hand and stopped her. Dohwan stared with an eyebrow raised but he soon discovered why they were stalling.

The metallic door that kept the monster locked up came flying from its hinges. It was loud. The being that came out was not a person anymore. Joon's eyes widened at the sight of a real blood thirsty immortal.

Yerin's eyes fell on Dohwan first before she smelled a few more vampires outside. She flashed past all of them and in seconds she emptied the perimeter. She returned with bloody hands and eyes as red as the fire from Hell. Her fangs were not as long as a normal vampire's but they were sharper. Her claws were long and she looked like she was about to eat them all.

"Wh-what is this?" He questioned the rest.

Yerin approached him like a snake approaching his pray. She checked him out from the top of his head to the bottom of his feet. Apparently he was an easy target because she scoffed at how simple it was. She was ready to inhale him when she was pulled back by her hair.

"Ecaterina, you really look the same as the first time we met." Igor said, his grip around her hair tightening. "Take care of the others. I want to have my alone time with my wife."

Dohwan was in a state of shock and admiration. The Yerin he had seen before was not even a third of the powerful immortal that sniffed him seconds ago. He needed a moment to register the order before he nodded and flashed outside, pulling Seojoon along. Jiwon hissed and followed them, still annoyed with Dohwan.


Dongwook was caught in at work and he had an incredible amount of bodies delivered. Detective Changwook was also stunned by the amount of corpses but his job was out on the field not in the morgue. Dongwook could tell with one eye open that all of them were either fresh vampires or people that stood between them and whatever they wanted.

“I can’t finish them all today that would be insane!” He shouted in anger and annoyance. “I need to be somewhere else.” He said as he quickly changed his white gown with his black trench coat.

“But- what should I do with all these bodies?” The detective asked standing there with no idea what to do next. “Where’s Ji Soo? Why is he not at work?”

Dongwook looked up, feeling the change in the air. He could smell a lot of blood and he heard her heart all the way from Itaewon.

“Damnit...” The vampire whispered, hurrying out of there.


Inside the pub, Liu Wei and Joon were standing as guards at the door. Vampires tried to enter but the atmosphere was so heavy that they quickly backed up. Joon could hear Jiwon fight more than two vampires at once and Seojoon was trying his best to not die.

Igor threw Yerin but she didn't lose her balance. Yerin’s eyes deepened and with extraordinary force, she firstly pulled Igor into her and then she kicked him to the left. He regained fast and launched at her. His punches were very fast, the viewers couldn’t even keep up with it visually but Yerin was good at defending herself. She looked closely at how he was throwing kicks and punches at her and when she saw how he wanted to kick her in the stomach, she jumped and rotated over his head, her hands laying on his shoulder so she could throw him when she landed. The plan was good but Igor caught her hand and when he was ready to collide with a table, he pushed her against it first, face front. The collision was pretty harsh since she got herself a few bruises and blood dripped from her nose. He got on her back and slammed her head a few times against the hard surface. It didn't seem to hurt her that much. She growled as she rolled to the side fast and kicked him against the wall. She glared and punched him repeatedly. He lost his concentration for a bit so Yerin used that small amount of time in her favour. She grabbed him by the hair and threw him into the bar where everything on the shelves came crashing onto him. Igor wiped the blood off his mouth and grabbed a liquor bottle. He threw it at his cousin but Yerin lessened the blow with her hand, which scratched her pretty badly on the palm and fingers.

It was around this time that Dongwook could finally battle his way into the pub. He watched as the woman he loved was in a state of madness. He also noticed Igor launch attack after attack at her.

"They are destroying my pub...." Liu Wei mumbled with genuine disappointment.

"What? Why aren't you interfering?" Dongwook asked growing angry with the two viewers.

"Do you really want to get between those two? They are so fast that I can barely keep up." Liu Wei answered.

"You can't, anyway. If she kills one of the people she changed, she may lose the mark. A leader cannot kill his people after all." Joon explained with his hands crossed in front of his chest.

Dongwook stared at the immortals in shock. So that was what Igor meant. But still watching her fight her cousin, probably not quite recognising him, was terrible.

The two bodies were each flying into opposite directions and both caught themselves at the same time. Yerin was losing her temper rapidly and launched at Igor while he was getting himself up. She grabbed his head and slammed it into the bar; a few seconds later she grabbed his hands from behind and pulled them towards her while she kicked his back. Igor could feel himself bleed but it wasn’t that obvious on his face. He didn’t seem to hurt at all while Yerin was all bloody. Since she held a tight grip on him, Igor relaxed his muscles. In that moment, Yerin made a big mistake: she let her guard down. Igor had his eyes closed from pain and when he felt her grip lessening, he opened them and turned and grabbed her by the collar. She was surprised and didn’t have time to react. The blond immortal slammed her in the spot he was a few moments before and kept her in place.

"Not that strong now, hm?" He taunted her. Igor literally pulled off the back of her shirt and broke a glass. He took one sharp piece and started to carve the mark out. Yerin screamed loudly and her eyes widened in pain. Igor was trying to cut the mark off but it looked like the tree's roots were clinging tightly onto her spine. Igor chuckled and glanced at the three vampires.

Dongwook could sense what he was about to do. Igor wanted to throw the shard at Liu Wei. Luckily, Yerin broke free and pushed Igor straight into their direction. She grabbed the shard that he dropped and threw it at him. Igor duck and Dongwook quickly flashed in front of Liu Wei. The Chinese vampire stood there in shock, not believing his eyes.

Dongwook fell back and took the shard out.

"It's fine. It didn't hit my heart. I'll heal." He said but Liu Wei dropped next to him, still in shock.

"That shard was used to hurt the mark. It has her blood on it..." Joon mumbled feeling very insecure of how the night will progress. "This is very bad."


Worst was that Yerin couldn't care less. She got Igor on the ground and like a crazy, savage animal, she started to hit him and scratch his face with her long claws.

"If you want the mark so badly, just take it." She hissed into his ear.

Igor growled and bit her neck. The amount of blood that she consumed -the amount of her blood- was so overwhelming that Igor ended up spitting it back out. She watched him with a dark smile before she hovered over him.

"You forgot one important detail, cousin. Nobody who drinks from the leader can survive. While your blood has a sweet, delicious taste, mine is like poison to you. Why do you think they kept me alive even after I ran?" She informed him slowly as if she was whispering sweet nothings in his ear. "How disappointing, Igor. You were always the weak brother in the family. Nothing changed."

Dongwook had his own trouble but he couldn't believe his eyes when Yerin pushed her hand through Igor's chest and took out his heart. It was both grotesque and unexpected. What hurt the most was the moment their eyes met. Her eyes were lifeless. She seemed dead inside. Yerin sniffed the air before she flashed outside.

"You are an idiot. Her blood is poison for everyone else, especially for a mere vampire. That is why nobody used those 50 bottles all this time. Moreover, is blood connected to the mark...it's deadly." Liu Wei mumbled seeing how Dongwook was quickly getting pale and sweaty.

On the other hand, Joon was more worried of what was happening outside. Jiwon entered for a moment, bloody and in very poor shape, and looked straight at the former thief.

“She’s going for all of them, even yours.” She mumbled, barely able to keep herself on her two feet.

Jiwon fell against the wall and breathed out, feeling like she fought enough for a lifetime. Joon sighed and chose to give Liu Wei the red vial.

"Save him or not, I don't care. Right now I need to protect my own territory."

Left with the decision, Liu Wei stared at the vial before he turned to Dongwook.

"This is your chance. You can die peacefully, be done with all this bull. Or you can become a monster in its true form. It will be a lot worse than being a vampire…that if you survive the transformation."

Dongwook looked down and remembered all the times he had to endure pain and discrimination for being Yerin's first changed man. Her father made sure to torture him in many ways and in the end, he was thrown out with nothing but the clothes he wore. Those few years alone were some that Dongwook wished he could forget and yet when he saw her again he couldn’t help feel bittersweet. Now that he had the option to end his meaningless existence, could he die without any regrets? There were so many thoughts running through his mind.

Liu Wei could understand Dongwook’s silence since he knew he never wanted to be a vampire in the first place. Therefore, the former Chinese commander left the vial next to Dongwook and hurried to tend to Jiwon.

All alone and with a heart that was slowly losing rhythm, Dongwook had to decide what he wanted to do.


A month later:


Yerin woke up in a very bad shape. She felt the breeze of the ocean and figured she was on the beach somewhere. She had no memory of what happened after she opened the third bottle of blood but was sore and her eyes felt like a vein popped out. Someone must have hit her pretty bad if she actually went unconscious, either that or she fought to the point of extreme fatigue.

The sun was so bright that she couldn't even open her eyes properly. She wasn’t exactly but her clothes were ragged and torn apart. Someone came closer and covered her with a coat that smelled familiar. She looked up but couldn't quite see his face. He grabbed her hand and squeezed it tightly before putting it over his heart. Yerin frowned at how slow his heartbeats were, which made her immediately think that maybe the person helping her was Liu Wei. The man wrapped one of her hands around his neck and then lifted her up. She was slowly regaining her senses by the time he took her into what looked like a minivan. Now that she could actually see, she gasped at the person standing in front of her.

"What have you done?" She asks feeling guilty. "What have I done?"

"You killed your cousin, and several other vampires." Dongwook replied smiling at her cutely.

She stared at him for a while before she grabbed his face and pulled him close to her face. He smelled differently, his breath smelled sweet and his eyes seemed slightly darker than before. One of her hands slid down to his chest and she understood what happened.

“You drank the water. That means I hurt you…” She mumbled feeling like she wanted to dig a hole and hide in it.

"You know what was the most interesting?" He asked leaning towards her, "You tried to emotionally blackmail me into becoming your servant for the second time."

"Did I?"

Dongwook chuckled and tuck a string of hair behind her ear.

"Apparently, the crazy you took a liking to me after I transformed. You said you’d eat me for breakfast." He said knowing how it sounded. Yerin looked anywhere but his face and leaned back so that he couldn’t see how embarrassed she was. “Morning came and here we are.”

“Why?” She asked after a moment of silence. “Why did you decide to continue living like this?”

“Honestly, because I don’t know any other way to live. I was in my twenties when you changed me and no matter how much pain you caused me, I just couldn’t die.”

“The transformation could have killed you. Being an immortal is not the same as being a vampire.”

“I prefer drinking vampire blood rather than kill some innocent human on the street.” He replied sitting next to her. “This time I chose my future so you don’t have to look so guilty.”

Yerin looked down at her wounded hands, especially her right hand which looked like it took the biggest blows. She probably looked like she has been abused for the last few weeks, which made her try and feel the wounds on her face. She flinched when she touched the nasty scratch she had on her cheek.

“Why don’t you trust me now?”

“….what?” She asked looking at him in surprise.

“I want to be the person that you call when you’re hungry, when you’re pissed or when you’re lonely. I also want to hear your heartbeats when I return and leave home. If possible, I’d prefer if you could move in with me since Ji Soo is head over heels for your friend.” He explained chuckling as he remembered his co-worker. “Doesn’t that sound nice?”

“It does.” She answered smiling softly. “But you’ll have to convince Liu Wei as well.”

“Liu Wei is busy redecorating. I'm sponsoring the revival of Blue so I think we’re good.” Dongwook said getting up and opening the fridge. Although Yerin expected him to give her some blood, he actually gave her a change of clothes. She raised an eyebrow but he only laughed it off. His laughter was really nice, especially now when they were the only immortals alive.