Chapter One

Helium
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

©kas2umi @lj


Yunho wished he could turn back the hands of time.

-

The little boy opened his eyes at the sound of crashing metal. Blinking slowly to beat the sleepiness that had overcome his body, he looked to his left seeking the source of the noise.

"I apologize, I didn't mean to wake you up," A man, probably in his mid thirties, spoke slowly as he collected the equipment that had fallen onto the floor. A plate was gripped firmly in his hand while the other one held a small metallic-like bowl.

The boy sleepily followed the man's form as he moved around the room. Just as the janitor was about to wipe the surface of the table next to the bed the boy was laying on, he knocked over a cup and smiled nervously. Looking over at the boy he chuckled. "Sorry, it's my first day at work."

"You are pretty clumsy." Moonbin spoke as the man continued dusting the wooden counter on the right side of the hospital bed.

Shaking his head in slight amusement and nervousness Yunho's eyes drifted to a small model of the rigid airship that had a wavy Hindenburg painted on it. The ceiling was almost covered in small models of air balloons as they hung on almost invisible threads the man assumed must have been silk.

"My son was crazy about those," he spoke to the boy while rinsing the dirt covered piece of cloth. He was almost done.

"How old is he?"

Yunho ignored his question as he continued. "I remember he had a really cool one, from Russia."

Moonbin lifted his arm pointing at a colorful air balloon. "That one is also from Russia."

When the man didn't say a word the boy's eyes wandered towards the ceiling.

He just stared.

-

The noon was the time for a much needed break for Yunho.

It was about to rain but he still had some time to spend it in the fresh air. Sitting on the wooden bench in the hospital's garden he took out his worn out notebook and started writing inside it. But he was distracted as soon as he caught the sight of a nurse pushing that same little boy from before in a wheelchair.

She paused for a moment before telling the boy to wait just a bit, until she goes to get something.

He had a small aircraft in his hands and was toying with the rear propellers.

"Hello again," He spoke cheerfully trying to get the boy's attention.

"Hello," Moonbin spoke almost dismissively and Yunho took it as a sign to get back to his notebook. But before he could continue writing the boy's voice stole his attention once more.

"Do you think your son is in heaven?" He flicked the propeller of his toy plane while asking.

Yunho frowned at the sudden question as he stared at the boy. "What do you mean?"

"Isn't he dead?"

Taking in a deep breath Yunho stared emptily at the half empty page in his notebook. "For a long time now, yes."

Few moments of silence followed as Moonbi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter