Operation Sec

Deal Breaker

“These two levels are their research labs.” The 3-D model showcases the bottom two levels highlighted in red. “These blueprints were obtained from a source that may not reflect the present use of the labs but the layouts are accurate.” Seo gestures at Basement 3. “According to our sources, Elgoog’s Central Operational Research Environment, CORE, is located in the middle of Basement 3.”

“What’s in the CORE?” Yuri asks.

“The CORE contains what we’re interested in. The CORE is the hull of their data communications and storage server. Based on the blueprints, it is also the most secure room in the building. It is built to be sound-proof and radiation-proof. Our surveillance equipment is unable to scan that deep into the ground, let alone get through the solid metal perimeter.”

“So we’re supposed to go in and get intel?” says Taeyeon.

Seo shakes her head. “It’s not so easy.” The 3-D model changes into the cross-section of a databank. “The size of their server is too big for us to locate the information we want within a limited time.”

“How long would it take to download the server?” Yoona asks.

Seo turns to her and smiles. “Good question. We estimate twelve minutes. But it is only an estimation based on the size of the server we think they have.”

“We’ll need more information to get into the CORE.” Hyo steps forward with a grin. “Agent Amber and Agent Seulgi are our codebreakers. They need the code encrypted in the secretaries’ passes to find out how complicated their security system is. And that means Operation Secretary will kick in now.”

It’s another night at Crash & Burn. But it’s not just another night. It’s Operation Secretary night. The problem Taeyeon and Yoona face is getting hold of Irene and/or Wendy’s phones. Both will be better, of course, since it will mean more for Agent Amber and Seulgi to analyse. But to get both phones from the secretaries without raising their suspicions would take a flawless execution of the plan.

The usual drinks go round and the secretaries are kicking back drink after drink. Their phones, as Taeyeon and Yoona observed, are in their handbags on the couch. It is their job to keep the secretaries distracted and drinking so that Yuri may attempt a grab-and-switch.

The chance arrives when Irene ups and visits the toilet, leaving Wendy alone with Taeyeon and Yoona. Calling Wendy’s attention over to a cute video of a puppy on her phone, Taeyeon shoots Yoona a glance. At once, Yoona shifts to Wendy’s side, obstructing her view of her bag and Yuri, upon seeing the movement, walks briskly past the couch, switching Wendy’s red leather handbag with an identical one.

She continues her brisk walk to the toilet with the handbag and enters a cubicle. Once inside, she takes the phone out and plugs the device she was given into the data port. The phone screen comes on, displaying the login page, before plunging into blackness the next second. One blink later, a string of binary codes appears and the phone appears to be entering some kind of system breakdown.

Back at the couch, Taeyeon and Yoona are still hard at work, trying their best to keep Wendy away from the replacement bag when Irene returns from the toilet. Yoona shifts quickly, directing Irene to take over her place so that both secretaries have their backs to Wendy’s ‘handbag’. And for the next few moments, Yoona puts on her best show of card stacking as they await the message from Yuri to transit into the switch-reversal part of their operation.

Taeyeon feels her phone vibrating in her pocket and checks it immediately. It is Yuri. The data export is done and she’s on her way back to their couch. Time for a gamble.

“If Yoona completes the pyramid, Irene will treat us to a drink,” Taeyeon says.

Irene laughs, slapping Taeyeon’s arm. “Oh no you don’t. You’re not getting a free drink when Yoona is the one doing all the work.”

Taeyeon looks to Wendy. “What do you say?”

Wendy grins. “I agree with Taeyeon.”

Yoona, of course, agrees too so in the end, Irene relents and promises a treat. With the hype surrounding Yoona’s card stacking challenge, both secretaries have their attention piled on Yoona and the last card she has in her hand. Taeyeon too is feeling excited and almost forgets to tap on the couch. Fortunately, she remembers and sends the signal for Yuri to complete the switch. She doesn’t look back but when Yoona smiles and places the final card on the stack, she knows it has been done.

Operation Secretary is a success.

An hour later, Taeyeon and Yoona are back at S.N.S.D.’s HQ and seated in what appears to be the codebreaking room, for lack of a better term. Taeyeon looks around at all the computer screens and processing units feeling rather awed. As nifty as the system she’s got running at her place is, this room makes her system look like child’s play.

Yuri had left Crash & Burn with the data extraction device the moment the switch was done so she’s already in the room with Seo and the two codebreaking agents. The device has been plugged into a processing unit and currently, Agent Seulgi is seated in front of the computer screen and keyboard while the rest are seated behind her.

“Welcome back,” says Seo when they get close enough to hear her soft voice. “Well done. You girls have proven to be excellent at what you do.”

Yoona smiles. “Thank you.”

“Did you have to drink a lot?” Seo asks.

“It was alright.” Yoona grins at Taeyeon. “But this woman had to bow out and switch to mocktails after two drinks.”

“Who had to switch to mocktails?”

Yoona and Yuri turn to look but Taeyeon doesn’t. She recognizes the husky voice well by now.

It is Seo who replies, “Taeyeon.”

“She needs extra training.”

Taeyeon isn’t about to take this lying down. “And will you be the one training me?” she asks in a testy tone.

“Are you afraid?”

Taeyeon scoffs. “Try me, Agent Tiffany.”

There is a moment of amused silence as all the other people the room stare at them with knowing smiles on their faces.

“Get a room, you two,” Agent Amber says with a grin as the others giggle and chuckle.

Tiffany doesn’t blush or bat an eyelid as she clears . “How’s the progress, Agent Seulgi?”

“Fifty percent of the data has been decoded.”

“Alright, we’ll let Agent Amber and Seulgi handle the rest. The rest of us will adjourn in Battle Room 1 for the debriefing with Seo.”

Taeyeon is dead tired by night time and is all ready to crawl into bed when her ICE vibrates.

Your alcohol training begins tomorrow. Goodnight.

She frowns at the message but decides not to reply with the biting retort in her head. Instead, she slides the ICE under her pillow and snuggles under the covers. Nothing is going to stop her from a long and good sleep tonight.