Senorita

Deal Breaker

Daniel is a tall man, distinct in his gait. It is slightly slower than one would expect, especially in a mistrepool like Leous where everyone walks fairly briskly with their eyes glued to their phones or the front. Daniel, on the other hand, keeps his eyes up, scanning the field before him.

“Yoona, I’m feeling a little nervous right now,” says Summer as they watch the surveillance feed.

“Don’t let his airs intimidate you.”

“It’s not him. It’s . . . what we have to do.”

“We don’t have to do anything out of the ordinary. Just waltz in and ‘meet your cousin by chance’. Keep it simple.”

“I know, I know. It’s just, doing this makes me feel like a real agent.”

“Summer, let’s not get dramatic.”

“Don’t worry, I won’t.”

Moments later, after both men have settled down, Summer and Yoona enter the restaurant. They have a reservation, naturally, and a smartly suited man comes forward to bring them to their seat. Summer spots her cousin at Daniel’s table but she makes no indication of noticing him, instead, choosing an appropriate moment to sneeze.

“Bless you,” Yoona says with a smile. One of her dear friend’s many talents is imitating sounds and that was one fine imitation of a sneeze.

“Summer Choi.”

Both women turn at the male voice. And Summer launches into an act of pleasant surprise worthy of an acting award. “Oh my gosh, Minho,” she says as she embraces him.

“It’s been a while,” says Minho, before turning to his companion. “Daniel, may I introduce you to my cousin, Summer Choi. Her father is the chairman of Choi Construction that we were talking about just a while ago.”

“It’s a pleasure meeting you, Miss Choi.”

Summer takes Daniel’s proffered hand and shakes it a little gentler than she usually would. She introduces Yoona to both Daniel and Minho and after the initial niceties, Minho makes the offer that Summer and Yoona are hoping for.

“Would you like to join us?”

Both ladies gladly accept, of course.

When it comes to ordering their meals, Summer and Yoona take the chance to use their newly acquired mastery of the language to read out the names of the dishes like a Spanish would.

“I will have a Pincho for the appetizer. And the Chicharrón,” says Yoona.

“Do you speak Spanish?” Daniel asks Yoona, the corners of his lips lifting just a fraction.

Yoona flashes a smile that charms effortlessly. “Just enough to order from a menu.”

Daniel grins. “No tienes que ser humilde.”

“Sólo estoy siendo honesto.”

Daniel chuckles. “You are clearly more fluent that you’re letting on. But since you’re a lady, a beautiful lady,” his eyes twinkling, “it will be honesta for you.”

Yoona laughs softly behind her hand. “You are clearly more fluent than I am.”

“Well, that’s because I am Spanish. But I was not born in the Spanish grid. My parents moved to the English grid before I was born.”

“Effectively bilingual. An admirable skill.”

Daniel chuckles. “I’m afraid there’s nothing much to admire on me. You, on the other hand . . . Minho, do you agree?”

“Absolutely,” says Minho with a nod.

Summer simply smiles. How can she not, when the mission is going so well?

Taeyeon is all sorts of pains and aches by the end of her four-day ‘Thailand trip’ and she lays on the bed of her spartan room, groaning like an old woman with one too many ailments. How is she even going to get back home, she wonders. She doesn’t think she can walk anymore. Maybe this is the end. Seo has pushed her too hard and broken her body.

“Why do you sound like you’re dying?”

Taeyeon growls when she recognizes Tiffany’s voice. “None of your ing business.”

“Seo gave me a good report of your progress for the past four days.”

“And where the heck were you? Sun-tanning on the beach somewhere in Thailand while I almost killed myself training in this hell-on-earth?”

“I don’t have to explain my whereabouts to you.”

“Go away.”

But instead of leaving, the agent shuts the door and walks to the bed. “Roll over.”

“I’m not your dog.”

“Well, you may not be my dog but you’re acting a lot like a female one right now.”

“Were you expecting a warm smile and flowers after throwing me to the lioness and leaving me to die?”

“Don’t be so dramatic. Seo is tough but she would never push you beyond your actual limit.” Tiffany sits on the bed. “Well, not yet anyway.”

“Get off my bed. Go away.” A pair of hands push Taeyeon so she rolls over onto her stomach. “What are you trying to—” Taeyeon struggles to free her face from the pillow. “Mmpphhffhh!” she protests when the back of her tank top is yanked up, baring her back. She is about to do something drastic to get rid of the agent when a cooling sensation rolls down from the top of her shoulder to her waist. It rolls up again, along her spine, then down. Up and down. Again and again. And Taeyeon catches a whiff of something herbal. “What are you rolling on my back?” she asks.

“It’s a homemade remedy for tortured muscles.”

You made it?”

“Is that a problem?”

“It feels so good that it’s difficult to believe you made it.” A sharp pain bursts through the side of her back. “OWW! Watch where you poke that thing!”

“You should know better than to diss the person who has you in a vulnerable position.”

Taeyeon can only groan.

It is a week later when the five of them are summoned back to the hellhole again.

“Welcome back to S.N.S.D. HQ,” Hyo greets them with a bright smile. Too bright.

Taeyeon is immediately suspicious. “Something’s up,” she whispers to Sunny who merely shrugs. Sunny has always been way too chill about things.

They are ushered into the same briefing room and seated. It is Seo who helms the briefing while Tiffany, Hyo, Agent Amber and another agent they haven’t seen a lot of, stand by the side.

Standing before them with her usual strict poise, Seo begins.

“Good afternoon, ladies. I will now brief you on Operation Boss.”

Translation:

Daniel grins. “No tienes que ser humilde.” (You don’t have to be humble.)
“Sólo estoy siendo honesto.” (I am just being honest.)

If any of you notice any problems with the Spanish, please do let me know :)