Chapter 3; Yoora

Breathless

Yoora:

We walk in silence and I try to swallow my embarrassment of fainting infront of a stranger. I can see my apartment in the distance, and I gesture toward it.

"We're almost there, that's my apartment over there."

I watch him as we approach the steps.

"My apartment is on the roof. I feel a little ashamed to ask you for help, especially after what you've just done for me, but I don't think I can make it up these stairs on my own."

He stood still for a moment, our feet at the bottom step. His broad shoulders gave him a very manly appearance. He wasn't a super tall man, about average height, but compared to my small stature, he seemed like a mountain of a man. I felt very shy about my request.

"Why didn't you use your inhaler?"

He turned toward me, his dark eyes studying me. I couldn't look at him directly, as it made my heart pound, feeling his eyes on me.

"I forgot it at home."

His expression turned firm and I bit my lip nervously.

"You forgot your life-saving medication at home? Are you a child?"

My breath caught in my throat and I could feel my face heating up. I hated being ridiculed.

To my surprise, he reached down and hooked an arm underneath my legs, lifting me off of the ground and catching my shoulders with his other arm. I heard him grunt quietly as my body pressed against his chest. His musky smell entered my nostrils and I gasped.

"I-I didn't mean this! I just needed someone to lean on! You know, forward momentum!"

He had already climbed several stairs by the time I'd finished speaking. He stopped and looked down at me, his face uncomfortably close to mine.

"Oh."

He put me down and I teetered on the step as I adjusted my long, floral skirt, patting my hands down the sides, straightening it and trying my best to act normal, and not utterly flustered. He offered his forearm and I took it, horrified by his overly helpful actions. I noticed his flat expression and I couldn't help but smile. I stifled the giggle that threatened to escape from my lips. He seemed like he truly didn't understand that what he just did was a little too much.

He wears a cold demeanor but everything he does is kind and selfless.

As we climbed the stairs, I tried my strongest attempt to hide my heavy breathing, pulling air in as quietly as possible. I really didn't like the feeling of someone being concerned about my breathing, and I feared him asking about my inhaler again. The thought of telling him the truth ashamed me more than the lie that I'd told earlier. I couldn't accept the fact that he might pity me had he known that I actually ran out of my medicine and couldn't afford to order more right away. It's not like it was a big deal, anyway, I'd be starting my new job soon and I'd be able to get a refill after my first pay check. I let go of his arm as we reach the top step and I point to the door to the roof. 

"My apartment is up here. Thank you for walking me home and helping me up the stairs. This is just a one time thing, I can make it up them just fine normally. I'm very sorry to have troubled you but I'm eternally grateful for your kind actions. Is it alright if I ask you your name? I'd like to return the favor soon."

He hesitates.

"I'd rather not give you my name, actually. I'm sorry."

"Oh... That's okay, I understand. We've only just met. Then...", I pause for a moment in thought. "Please come in, and I'll make you a cup of tea as a thank you. Please accept. It's the least I can do."

I turn my key in the lock and push open the door. I use my body to hold it open as I wait for his answer. A sinking feeling fell in my gut as I feared he would reject my offer.

"Alright."

I smiled as he ducked his head and walked out onto the roof. I was relieved that I'd remembered to take down my clothes from line and put them away this morning. He followed me to my door, but was careful to stay a few feet behind. He looked out of place next to my little apartment and I suddenly realized how forward my request had been.

I just invited a strange man into my home.