Chapter 1; Yoora

Breathless

Yoora:

My lungs burned as I gasped for air, my chest expanding like a balloon with each struggled breath. I clenched my fists as I ran, cursing myself silently. If it weren't for my stupid lungs I could run faster! I wanted to scream for help, but my lungs had no strength. My endless nightmare on repeat had come to life. My floral skirt fluttered in the wind and my ear drums ached as I forced myself to hold back a hacking cough. My vision had begun to go blurry in the corners of my eyes and I prayed that I wouldn't pass out. Before I could finish my prayer, a large, rough hand grasped my arm and pulled me into an alleyway. Tears threatened to spill from behind my eyelids as I was swept off of my feet, the soles of my glossy dress shoes scraping the pavement as I was pulled into the darkness. This is it. I'm done for. I opened my mouth and gave it my best effort, but no sound came out. In desperation I began kicking and thrashing, using all of my remaining strength to try and free myself. I was shocked when the grip on my arm was released and a quiet "Shhh..." was whispered into my ear.

A chill ran down my spine, and I was tempted to cling to the hope that I had been saved. I spun around to look at my captor and I was met with the dark eyes of a hauntingly gorgeous man. His expression fierce, and his jaw taught, he threw his arm out and backed me up against the dirty, rugged alley wall. I took this moment to focus on catching my breath, using the method that my father had taught me years ago. I took slow deep breaths in through my nose and let them out gently through my mouth. My fingers and legs were still shaking with adrenaline and I choked back my tears, thankful that I hadn't passed out from lack of oxygen. 

I could feel the hard muscles of his forearm pushing against my collarbone, holding me back. His breath was hot against my ear. I swallowed the lump in my throat and chewed on my lip, trembling beneath his touch. My lips parted as I started to speak, but his voice, husky and low, interrupted me sharply. "Shh. Don't talk." I felt my face grow hot with embarrassment as his breath whisked across my cheekbone, smelling faintly of cigarette smoke. The rough brick scraped against my back and I could feel the ridges catching on my clothing, his arm pressing me harder against the wall. I watched the nape of his neck as he turned his head away, looking to see if Choi Jooyoung's thug had left. His shoulders were tense and I sensed his unease. His breath hitched as the sounds of hurried footsteps, clumsy and heavy, approached. My heart sped up and I started to sweat, fearing we'd be caught. I flinched and squeezed my eyes shut as I said a silent prayer in my head. Suddenly, I felt the man's arm leave my chest and I could sense his body heat looming over me. His hands held onto my shoulders firmly, his fingers digging into my skin. He covered my body with his, and his musty cologne wafted into my nostrils as I gasped in surprise. I kept my eyes closed, terrified of what I might see if I were to open them. We stood still like this for a moment longer as the footsteps faded and the last remnants of the sound pattered softly into silence. His grip released and I let out a suffocated breath I didn't even know I had been holding in.

"He's gone. Where do you live? I'll take you back. You shouldn't be out here by yourself right now."

I let my eyelids flick open and my gaze grazed across his chest and up to his eyes, still alert and looking off toward the alley's exit.

"We should leave now. If we stand around any longer he'll be back before you know it."

Swirls of color had started to invade my sight and I knew that it was coming. His steeley eyes were now blurry orbs and the movements of his lips as he spoke were a distorted dance. 

"Hey, are you okay? You don't look so good."

Damn. The fog rolled in and my head began to tilt downward as I felt the life leave my limbs.

His voice grew distant and a loud ringing sounded in my ears. 

Black.