Meet the Princesses

Brilliant Red

[Summary: Soo meets So-Hee for the first time, who was a bit saddened that he couldn’t remember her. On the other hand, Soo got himself had other princesses wrapped around his finger, due to his charm.]

 

Soo walked along with Chae-Ryun, who explained the history of the marriage between his cousin Myung-Seon and princess Woo-Kyung. Soo’s eyes softened when he heard about eighth princess’s family wrongly accused for the crime her mother didn’t commit. And he was thankful how Myung-Seon supported Hwangbo family.

 

    “Chae-Ryun, the princesses will come today right? Why don’t I serve them in your behalf?” Soo asked.

 

His question caught his servant off-guard.

 

    “Y—you?! But I thought you don’t like visitors…”

 

Soo smiled softly.

 

    “Then I must have been rudely dismissed them for a long time.”

 

Sighed in defeat, Chae-Ryun obliged. Soo went to the library of the residence, in case if he could remember some calligraphies he practiced in the modern era. Thankfully, he seemed to found one particular book that has written familiar languages that defines different types of herbs, flowers and such. He flashed a satisfying smile unaware of young woman watching him. Princess Woo-Kyung came to library to read a book but saw him.

 

When she accidentally made a creeping sound of wooden floor, Soo turned to see the woman, surprised as his eyes grew wide.

 

    “D—do forgive me…” Soo spoke.

 

Woo-Kyung grinned.

 

    “No, it’s alright. I’m eighth princess Woo-Kyung.”

 

Soo’s eyes got widened.

 

    “I—I apologize for not recognizing you, princess…”

 

She seemed off-guard with his blunt yet honest reply.

 

    “Then, we could introduce ourselves again. What’s your name?” She asked with gentle, good-natured voice.

 

    “I’m Soo-Hwa-Jin of Hae…Myung-Seon’s cousin.” He replied calmly.

 

Eighth princess glanced at the man who stood in front of her. The youth was no doubt her husband’s cousin due to the faint resemblance they shared. Soo possesses a rather glassy, deer-like eyes with the color of black pearl. Woo-Kyung smiled as she glanced at the book he was holding.

 

    “You are interested in herbs and flowers, I see.”

 

Soo looked down at the book he was gripping and nodded his head.

 

    “I wanted to refresh my mind with my interests, milady.”

 

    “I see. I must have been interrupting you. We’ll see you again later.” Eighth princess bowed slightly and left the library.

 


While reading the books filled with familiar calligraphy, Soo was spending his time on pavilion. He then heard the voices of princess Woo-Kyung and Myung-Seon together. He smiled at rather happy and romantic scene, unaware of a young woman approaching. Chae-Ryun notified his young master she was princess Yeon-Hwa. Soo looked at the princess and bowed with both of his hands together.

 

    “How rude…it is impolite to peek a glance at wedded pairs, do you understand?” Princess Yeon-Hwa warned strictly.

 

Soo blinked, unsure what to do wondering what would real Soo-Hwa-Jin do in such situation. With an idea formed, he smiled gently.

 

    “My sincerest apologies, princess. I am fully aware how disrespectful it is, but they looked so happy together I have forgotten my manners. Please understand my rude demeanors. It won’t happen again.” Soo said in a genuine apologetic tone with a glint of charm in his voice.

 

Woo-Kyung’s sister blinked her eyes. Taken back with his elegant behavior, she remembered her previous encounter with Soo-Hwa-Jin who was very quiet and avoids social interactions with others. Within a day after severe illness, he was changed into a completely different man.

 

    “You have been bed-ridden for seven days and become a different person. For a boy who always avoided me, it is quite an excellent change.”

 

Soo slightly looked up and saw a small transformation in Yeon-Hwa’s smile. Her smile was initially full of contempt but now, it was brightened with impressed expression. He had heard about the history of Hwangbo clan home-arrested for the accused crime Queen Hwangbo has never committed. He decided that this time, he could at least help the Hwangbo princesses by being a therapist-figure to them.

 

    “I’ll take them as a compliment, princess.” Soo said with shining smile, casting a sheep’s eyes with the hint of innocence while flashing his white teeth.

 

Yeon-Hwa smiled wider, mentally noted herself to tell her half-sisters about him later at Damiwon. Woo-Kyung and Myung-Seon glanced at Soo and Yeon-Hwa together smiling to one another.

 

    “Perhaps your cousin managed to opened up her heart.” Woo-Kyung said with approving smile, for she knew how her sister became hardhearted ever since their family’s exile.

 

    “Indeed.” Myung-Seon smiled.

 

Myung-Seon then notified by the servants that young general Soo-Duk, son of Grand general Park Soo-Kyung, has returned. The man was wearing a military armor with his heir tied back in pony tail. He had muscular features with manly atmosphere looming from him.

 

    “Soo.”

 

Soo approached to his cousin and saw a man in armor.

 

    “This is general Soo-Duk. He will help you with the role of Bangsangshi from today.”

 

Soo looked at the man and greeted politely. Soo-Duk stared at the man of his age, felt astonished a little by the sight of “pretty-faced” youth.

 

    ‘He’s Soo-Hwa-Jin of Hae?’ Soo-Duk thought, ‘he looks different than I ever imagined…’

 

Soo-Duk was also Princess So-Hee’s friend and she always talked about him since they were premature teenagers. But when the general looked at the Soo’s black pearl-like eyes, he could guess the youngest Hae could be a real charmer.

 

    “I’ve heard about you, Soo. Princess So-Hee talked a lot about you.” Soo-Duk smiled.

 

Soo recalled that he and So-Hee was a temporary playmates for a short time. 

 

    “Where’s she now?”

 

    “She’s with Choi Ji-Mong, but she’ll be back soon.”

 

Soo’s face slight fell. He was curious of people who live in palace, but he regained his smile.

 

    “Lord Myung-Seon told me you were once great at swords, but you’ve been bed-ridden for a week. We should slow down a bit with the training.”

 

    “I understand. I may be a worse student, but pardon me.” Soo said with small grin.

 


Young princesses Eun-Ju, Baek-Rah, and Jung-Hwa went inside Damiwon, greeting their half older-sisters. Yo-Hwa was sitting in between with Woo-Kyung and Won-Bi. Yeon-Hwa was beside her older sister, drinking teas.

 

    “Woo-Kyung and Yeon-Hwa, I’ve heard you talked to Soo-Hwa-Jin,” Eun-Ju spoke in curiosity, “what does he look like?”

 

Both Woo-Kyung Yeon-Hwa looked at tenth princess, then smiled fondly.

 

    “He’s very gentle and kind,” Woo-Kyung replied, “he enjoys reading.”

 

Hearing the word “kind”, it relieved the younger princesses.

 

    “That boy, Soo, he is very charming and outspoken one. He could be verbally strong.” Yeon-Hwa added.

 

Listening to the traits about mysterious Soo, all princesses wondered what would he look like.

 

    “Charming, huh? That sounds nice.” Eun-Ju said shyly.

 

    “Then, is he handsome?” Baek-Rah asked carefully.

 

Princess Woo-Kyung and Yeon-Hwa glanced at one another. They grinned widely as they looked at other princesses.

 

    “You all will see him soon.”

 

Unfortunately, Eun-Ju, Baek-Rah, and Jung-Hwa weren’t a patient lady.

 

    “I want to see him soon!” Jung-Hwa whined.

 

Then, Eun-Ju formed an idea, smiling at her younger sisters. Yo-Hwa rolled her eyes as Won-Bi looked nervous for they knew what were they planning on.


 

All princesses were spying on Eighth princess’ residence, sneaking in.

 

    “Where’s he?” Jung-Hwa asked.

 

    “He must be at pavilion after the training. Soo enjoys reading outside.” Woo-Kyung replied with smile.

 

As they went towards the location and hiding, Woo-Kyung then pointed at where Soo was.

 

    “There he is.”

 

All princesses were looking at where she was pointing at. Their eyes locked on and froze and the sight of Soo-Hwa-Jin, in his black and white training hanbok, reading at the pavilion. His hair was tied back in ponytail but few bangs were sticking out, appealing his face even more. His deer-like eyes were focusing on the reading and picked up the herbs, flowers and catching a pleasing fragrance of them, smiling. 

 

Yo-Hwa blinked her eyes as Won-Bi was frozen in disbelief. Eun-Ju and Jung-Hwa was blushing hard as Baek-Rah silently praised the young man’s appearance.

 

    “That’s Soo?” Eun-Ju asked quietly.

 

Woo-Kyung nodded her head. Yeon-Hwa glanced at Eun-Ju, then giggled.

 

Soo was exhausted from the training but he was proven to be quite excellent with them. He then, noticed a noise from afar and stood up, walking towards the sources of sound only to find young woman whispering to one another.

 

    ‘Were they spying on me?’ He thought.

 

    “Umm, excuse me?” He spoke.

 

All princesses—except Woo-Kyung and Yeon-Hwa—jumped in unison and tripped altogether, surprising Soo. They all glanced at him and mentally noted how handsome he looked when he was standing closer.

 

    “Were you visiting? Or were you rudely spying on me?” He asked.

 

    “Soo, forgive them…they are my half-sisters. They were curious about you.” Yeon-Hwa chimed in.

 

    “Oh…please to meet you all.” Soo greeted politely.

 

The princesses introduced themselves as Eun-Ju walked closer to Soo to the point of invading his personal space. Soo took his several step backward but she kept coming closer. Baek-Rah stifled her chuckle as Won-Bi face-palmed. The tenth princess tilted her head, then perked up an idea.

 

    “I like you! Marry me!”

 

Silence consumed the area as everyone looked at Eun-Ju, shocked. Soo blinked his eyes then startled as he backed away. What came from him next was beyond shocking to the princesses.

 

    “I’m sorry, Princess…but I can’t.”

 

Yeon-Hwa and Woo-Kyung stared at him. Yeon-Hwa chuckled at his bold reply, inwardly happy that he didn’t accept Eun-Ju’s confession. Yo-Hwa smirked as Won-Bi tried her best not to laugh. Jung-Hwa sighed in relief as Baek-Rah blinked her eyes, interested in Soo.

 

Before Eun-Ju could ask why, they heard Myung-Seon approaching. Soo blessed this moment as he greeted his cousin but stopped as he looked at the woman behind him. Yeon-Hwa and Woo-Kyung smiled stiffly as other princesses were frozen, either out of fear or shock. Yo-Hwa frowned deeply at the presence of woman in black. The woman was wearing a dark, elegant hanbok with a mask covering her left eyes. She stood with intimidating aura but her expression grew softened when looking at Soo.

 

Myung-Seon approached to Soo.

 

    “Soo-ya,” He began, “meet the Fourth Princess So-Hee.”