Conjuring The Sins

Brilliant Red

[Summary: Soo quickly bonds with the princesses who seemed to be interested in him. However, he prefers So-Hee’s company more as he somehow finds himself lighthearted around her. Despite being upset of his memory loss, So-Hee remained be his side and is quite happy that he still cares for her.]

 

    “Soo-ya,” Myung-Seon spoke, “meet the Fourth Princess, So-Hee.”

 

Soo glanced at the woman who was infamous as Wolf-Princess. She was wearing a black hanbok with golden pattern of thorn branches. His eyes then looked at the mask that conceals her left eye, and guessed it was from the injury. Chae-Ryun had told him once anyone who sees her left eye had all faced the death. Yet, seeing the lady in front of him showed no aura of animosity. Soo smiled then bowed slightly with polite manner.

 

    “Welcome back from Shinju, Princess So-Hee.” He greeted kindly.

 

So-Hee grinned. At least she was always warmly welcomed by one person. Her eyes grew slightly concerned when she remembered of hearing he had been bed-ridden for a week.

 

    “I’ve heard you were ill for seven days…” She spoke.

 

    “Yes, but I’m feeling better.” Soo replied.

 

Woo-Kyung and Yeon-Hwa glanced at them as they also secretly stared at their sisters’ expression. Jung-Hwa was always eager to see her estranged sister for she had never met her for long years. Baek-Rah kept pushed Eun-Ju and Won-Bi who was hiding behind her, while Yo-Hwa snorted at the sight of So-Hee.

 

    “Coming back all the way from Shinju to see your play-date…, I hope you remember your real duty of visiting the palace.” Third princess remarked with a sneer.

 

So-Hee frowned slightly as Soo guessed their sisterhood weren’t as good as he heard. Seeing the fourth princess becoming small from overwhelming attentions from others caused him to grow compassionate as he decided to defend her.

 

    “She’s good friend of me, third princess,” Soo spoke up for her, “and since I’m her childhood friend I should still continue becoming her company as long as she stays here.”

 

So-Hee blinked her eyes. Other princesses seemed intrigued at his bold remarks as Yeon-Hwa inwardly smiled in satisfaction as Soo managed to shrug off selfish Third princess’s words. Finding to face Yo-Hwa as a waste of time, Soo asked So-Hee if she would like to talk somewhere quiet,

 

    “Won’t you have some tea and tell me about your stay in Shinju?” Soo smiled.

 

Wordlessly, the fourth princess nodded her head and let him her to Damiwon. Looking at the young man, court ladies blushed at his presence wondering who was he and why he was escorting the infamous fourth princess. Within an awkward silence, So-Hee spoke up.

 

    “… you look different.” She began.

 

    “Uh…do I..?” Soo asked, a bit nervous.

 

She nodded with small smile. He merely scratched the back of his head awkwardly until she continued.

 

    “You’re taller… look stronger…,” she grinned, ‘and more handsome.’ she wanted to add.

 

Soo smiled brightly, causing So-Hee to look away hiding her blush. He continued to brew teas and serve the fourth princess. Finding her company somewhat comfortable, he assured himself he could still be her companion.

 


 

After every practice, Soo would always visit Damiwon and immediately gained admiration from all court ladies due to his acknowledge with herbs, his charismatic eloquence, and the androgynous beauty no man can possess. 

 

    “Don’t you think Hae Soo-Hwa-Jin is handsome~?” One court lady whispered while giggling.

 

    “I know~! He is sweet, intelligent and so charming~!” second one swooned.

 

    “Oh I wish I’d marry him…~!” the third court lady sighed dreamily.

 

The rumor of Hae Soo reached throughout Songak. The reclusive youth returned with full charm and intelligence, winning over hearts of everyone he meets. When Soo went to the marketplace with Chae-Ryun, he was the center of attention. Elder men mistook him as woman as ladies blush when his gaze met theirs.

 

    “Young master sure is a killer of maidens!” Chae-Ryun chuckled teasingly.

 

    “Oh, cut it out!” Soo blushed.

 

But he couldn’t help taking side-glance towards people who were looking at him. Their expressions are different, but their gazes have one thing in common. And that, greatly disturbed him. Their voice spoke with admiration, amazement, and awe. The tone of their voices varied from infatuation, envy, and curiosity. Yet their eyes have one emotion he could somehow catch. The emotion he didn’t wish to see ever since he and his ‘lover’ separated in modern time.

 

 

Lust.

 


 

It was a day of Exorcism Rite. Servants and eunuchs were decorating the palace for traditional Holiday of exorcising the evils. King Taejo and the queens were readying for the ritual night as most princesses were busy choosing the best clothing. Especially for one purpose to impress the Hae youth.

 

Hae Soo was finishing his training as Bangsangshi with the help of Soo-Duk. Myung-Seon was watching his cousin with proud smile as Chae-Ryun clapped his hands for his young master.

 

    “Great job…” Grand General’s son smiled.

 

Soo smiled back, wiped away the sweat from his forehead. Myung-Seon stood from his seat and approached to his cousin. Despite the sunlight briefly blinded his eyes, it didn’t stop Woo-Kyung’s husband from pampering, caring for Soo.

 

    “Please take a rest, Myung-Seon…,” Soo made a small smile, “the physician said you aren’t suppose to move around a lot.”

 

His cousin smiled, brushed off sweats from Soo’s face. There was a one emotion from Myung-Seon’s expression Soo loved the most. Paternal affection. In a life as Ha-Jun, Soo never received much parental affection from his parents. He knows that in this life as Hae Soo, his parents died tragically and was left in custody of his older cousin.

 

    “Nonsense…, you have been ill for a week… I fear next time you might injure yourself.”

 

Soo sheepishly smiled. Instead of as cousin, Myung-Seon was more like a brother or father to him.

 

    “I’m not a child…” Soo pouted as his cousin chuckled heartily.

 

Soo-Duk and Chae-Ryun laughed along at Soo’s childish expression. They laughter died as they saw Hwangju Hwangbo Clan arrived. Woo-Kyung bowed to her husband with a smile as Myung-Seon made a respective bow to his wife. Watching princess Yeon-Hwa, Soo smiled brightly as she smiled in a bashful manner. The Queen of Hwangbo Clan made a generous smile, greeting them as she eyed on Soo.

 

    “You’re Hae Soo-Hwa-Jin, I presume..?”

 

Soo politely bowed.

 

    “Greetings to Queen of Hwangju.”

 

Yeon-Hwa and Woo-Kyung’s mother chuckled heartily.

 

    “It is a first time I ever see you this close,” her voice was serene and welcoming, “quite a healthy and charming young man…”

 

    “Thank you, your grace…” Soo bowed again.

 

The brief conversation ended as they heard another footsteps from behind. This time, everyone’s face fell as they bowed deeply. It was Queen Yoo of Chungju Clan. Behind her was Princess Yo-Hwa and Jung-Hwa who were dressed in extravagant clothing. Even Soo’s brightened face darkened for he knew the infamy of Queen Chungju but retained his polite demeanor. Queen Yoo noticed the Hae Youth, scrutinizing his overall appearance.

 

    “So this… child… will lead a role of Bangsangshi?”

 

Soo inwardly cringed at the tone of elder queen’s voice. Arrogance, contempt and greed was combined in her eyes.

 

    “He is Hae Soo-Hwa-Jin…, by son-in-law’s cousin.” Queen Hwangbo introduced him with serene exterior, with a glint of protectiveness in her voice.

 

    “Oh… the boy my daughters have been talking about…” Queen Yoo mused, still inspecting Soo as if to see the flaw in his every action.

 

Soo’s eyes glanced at elder queen Yoo, then towards Yo-Hwa. He inwardly, yet bitterly took a mental note how much they resemble to one another. The snide, trash-talking backstabbers. Predators of power. Lusting for everything they think is the best. He wanted to throw up, but reminded himself he is in palace of Goryeo. What made him slightly flinch was Yo-Hwa’s sharp gaze at him. It was unreadable, but he knew it was something unpleasant.

 

    “Why don’t you often come over and accompany my daughters?” Queen Yoo suggested with feign kindness he can detect.

 

The third princess’s eyes glint as Jung-Hwa’s smile widened. However, Soo didn’t noticed their expression as he was focused on ambitious Queen who stood infront of him.

 

    “I’m afraid my lack of social interaction would disappoint you…,” Soo began with forced smile, “but I’d come to visit princesses if I learn stories of the world.”

 

His charismatic eloquence surprised the queens as well as others. Chae-Ryun was nervous as usual while Soo-Duk’s eyes were widened, impressed. Myung-Seon’s concerned eyes were locked on his cousin. Nothing else to remark, Queen Yoo left with his daughters and servants. Noticing Yeon-Hwa’s fists clenched onto her hanbok skirt, Soo gently grabbed her hand, hoping to soothe her frustration. Flinched by his hand, Yeon-Hwa glanced at Soo who was making a comforting smile as he let go.

 

    “Your grace,” Soo spoke to Queen Hwangbo, “I’m afraid we should hurry for the ritual night.”

 

    “Oh, yes…,” she turned to her daughters, “let us hurry. His majesty will wait for us.”

 

The eighth princess and her sister nodded as they took off. Soo watched them left, sighed heavily.

 


 

In a night of Exorcism Ritual, King Taejo was on his throne with the queens between. Princesses and all clans were with them. Choi Ji-Mong stood front of the stage as members of Jin-Ja, Changsu went upstage of rite. Soo, in a clothing and mask of Bangsangshi, appeared in a center hiding the anxiety.

 

    “The Jin-Ja has now gathered,” Ji-Mong began, “thus, we will cast out the evil spirits!”

 

With the astronomer’s announcement, King Taejo raised his hand and the ritual began.

 

The beginning had already made everyone’s eyes focused on Bangsangshi in awe. Especially the princesses. The Crown Princess smiled, highly impressed with every movement Soo made. Yo-Hwa’s gaze on him glint with more confirmed emotion of certain ‘greed’. Princess Yeon-Hwa smiled proudly as Myung-Seon, and Woo-Kyung’s soft gaze were furthermore gentle, wishing for Soo’s luck. Won-Bi blinked her eyes in awe as Eun-Ju excitedly looked at him. Baek-Rah smiled widely as Jung-Hwa’s fond eyes were dreamily onto Soo. So-Hee was nervous in case he’d injure himself or whoever might harm him. Yet, she couldn’t help kept her eyes on her former play-date.

 

But there was one thing the fourth princess was bothered. Clan Shinju was here as her ‘adoptive’ mother was. Lady Kang of Shinju was youthful yet slight wrinkle have proven her aged outlook. So-Hee’s presumed demented foster mother was lonely woman who fears of lacking love she will get from the ruler of Goryeo. Yet, seeing such strong-willed and young man Soo, Lady Kang’s thirst for love resurfaced as he reminded her of Taejo in his youth, where he was a handsome general, the protector of Goryeo.

 

King Taejo Wang Geon wasn’t a blind old man as he noticed all attention they gave to Soo. Mostly his daughters and some of deposed wives. The ritual ended minute ago and yet the time seemed to be frozen. The ruler of Goryeo’s hawk-like eyes scrutinized all as he saw how Yo-Hwa’s gaze unto Soo was glinting with unsettling avarice. How most princesses’ eyes were full of admiration. How elder men’s crooked eyes hungrily focused on Hae youth, as Lady Shinju’s eyes tremble with carnal yearning for Soo.

 

It is seemed to King Taejo, that Hae Soo-Hwa-Jin.. has conjured the evils, the sins, the lust from wolves in sheep’s clothing.