New Name, New Life

Brilliant Red

[Summary: Go Ha-Jun attempted suicide and ended up time-traveled to the era of Goryeo, in a body of his previous incarnation Soo-Hwa-Jin of Hae clan. Believing he needed to survive, Soo-Hwa-Jin decided to live a new life.]

 

Go Ha-Jun remained in deep slumber, his memories flashed over and over. He remembered his life, having a part-time job in cafe and pharmacy store. He still remember when he tried to earn money to fend of both himself and his girlfriend, she cruelly dumped him revealing that she was have been cheating on him, and later took all of his earnings. Despaired and angered with his life, he committed suicide to end his miserable life, but why does he still breathing?

“Young master!”

Ha-Jun heard the voice of a young man. Squeezed his shut eyes, then slowly, he opened them. His two eyes met the strangers’ ones. The one was a long-haired boy with simple hanbok and across the boy, was young man with refined robes, looked concern and hopeful at the same time.

“Oh dear…Soo! You’re awake!” The young man exclaimed.

Ha-Jun slowly sat up and looked around, only to find the room was filled with old furnitures based on…medieval era of Korea. His eyes were wide in slight fear.

“W—where am I?” then he looked at the strangers in meek expression, “who’s Soo?”

Both young men’s face paled, perplexed. The refined man approached.

“It’s me, your cousin…Hae Myung-Seon.”

“Young master? What happened? I’m Chae-Ryun. Don’t you remember us?”

Ha-Jun stared at them, his blank eyes seemed lifeless but at the same time panicked. He nodded his head gently. Then he remembered the question he wanted to ask.

“Where am I? What year is it?”

Myung-Seon’s eyes were briefly saddened.

“You’re in Song-Ak, in Goryeo 941.”

Ha-Jun’s eyes got widened. He looked down at his hands, finding them no hardened skin. It was white and the fingers were longer. He glanced at the mirror, only to see himself looked different. He has a long hair tied back lower. Several long bangs on his side. His body was covered with long white robes and was a bit masculine.

‘Seriously?!’ He shrieked in his thought, “I’m in the era of early Goryeo Dynasty?!’

And he fainted, startling his “cousin” and his servant.

“SOO—!” Myung-Seon stood up and called someone for physician.

“YOUNG MASTER—!! PLEASE DON’T DIE!!!” Chae-Ryun yelled, tears were ready to fall.


Meanwhile, in Damiwon, seven beautiful ladies entered as they were drinking their teas and pastries. The oldest among them was Princess Yo-Hwa, the third princess and daughter of Queen Yoo. Next to her, was eighth princess Woo-Kyung, Myung-Seon’s wife. Following them, there were ninth princess Won-Bi, tenth princess Eun-Ju, thirteen princess Baek-Rah, and fourteenth princess Jung-Hwa. 

“Sister Yo-Hwa, when will sister So-Hee arrive?” Eun-Ju asked.

Yo-Hwa only smirked.

“I doubt she would join us for a tea…she’s far too…undeveloped compare to us.”

“Did you hear So-Hee killed off politicians in Shinju? They say she was dangerous as she was a leader of wolves, awoo~!” Eun-Ju said, mimicking wolf’s howling.

“Eun-Ju, that’s not a nice thing to talk about your sister.” Woo-Kyung said with stern, but serene manner.

“Wait, how’s your cousin-in-law? I heard he suddenly collapsed while practicing his role as Bangsangshi.” Baek-Rah asked her eighth sister, mildly worried.

“Chae-Ryun told me he woke up, but…he seemed to injured his head as he had a memory loss.” Won-Bi explained.

“Oh,” then Eun-Ju asked, “what does he look like?”

Most princesses never seen Soo-Hwa-Jin, but there were many rumors about Myung-Seon’s cousin. Some were good. Some were not.

“Actually…I’ve never met him,” Myung-Seon’s wife replied, “he never come out from his room because of studies.”

“I heard he was obsessed with herbs and alchemy, I wonder if it’s true…” Jung wondered.

“I heard he is good at martial arts and has mastered with learnings!” Baek-Rah added, curious of youngest heir of Hae.

“Oh…that’s why he was chosen for the role of Bangsangshi…,” Yo-Hwa mused in interest, “quite amusing…”

“Why don’t we go to sister Woo-Kyung’s house to see him tomorrow?”

Eun-Ju’s suggestion caught everyone’s attention.

“But how? Myung-Seon told me once his cousin dislikes visitors.” Baek-Rah argued.

“Who said we could ‘visit’ him?” Eun-Ju said with mischievous smile.


In Woo-Kyung’s residence, Chae-Ryun tried to snap Ha-Jun out of his thought, telling him needs to go and eat the supper with his cousin. Ha-Jun made a thought of what would he do since he was reawakened in a body of the man who has a same face as his. He also knew it would be pointless if he shuts himself so he determined to survive in this time.

“Chae-Ryun, right? I want to ask you something…”

“Anything, young master.” Chae-Ryun replied with smile.

“How long…I have been unconscious?”
“Well…for seven days sir.” Chae-Ryun replied.

The conversation with his “servant” had him well-informed. Name: Soo-Hwa-Jin of Hae clan, who was sent to eighth princess’ residence to support his cousin Myung-Seon, the prince consort. Soo was good at learnings, swordsmanship, and is interested in herbs like himself. Well, Ha-Jun used to work at cafe and obviously he has known diversity of them.

“I see…,” then Soo stood up, “well then…let’s go.”

Seeing a smile from his young master, Chae-Ryun smiled back extremely happy that he was back. When Soo came to see his cousin, who was elated to see his cousin awakened.

“Soo-ya. How are you now! Are you feeling better?” Myung-Seon smiled in relief as Soo nodded his head.

Soo sat beside his cousin.

“Princess Woo-Kyung couldn’t come due to the practice for upcoming Spirit Ritual.”

Soo remembered his time at 21st century when he studied Korean History. He recalled the Spirit Ritual was originated from China, came to Goryeo as new culture to exorcise the bad spirits from the country and the palace.

“And starting from tomorrow, you will practice your role as Bangsangshi with other princesses, and young general Soo-Duk.” Myung-Seon informed with every details.

Ha-Jun remembered he is in body of Soo, and decided to abide his cousin’s words. Then, the prince consort chuckled.

“Speaking of princess, another princess will come tomorrow for the ritual also. You have known her since you were children. I have already informed her about your memory loss. She will help you soon.”

Soo glanced at his servant who was now quivering when this “princess” was mentioned. He turned to see his cousin again.

“Who is it, Myung-Seon?” Soo asked.

The heir of Hae smiled.

“Fourth princess Wang So-Hee.”

As the dinner was done, Soo was tucked into bed by his cousin who seemed to go all mother-hen about his health. Ha-Jun never felt to be secured since he didn’t have a brother, but seeing Myung-Seon’s kind smile, he was inwardly jealous of Soo-Hwa-Jin for having a good-natured, mature cousin who always stay beside him.


The night seemed to go fast as it was greeted by golden dawn through the morning. On the trail of the road, the masked, slender figure rode on the horse. Her black hanbok was surrounded with black cape. She was accompanied by couple of followers from Shinju, arriving to the Song-Ak. As they galloped, the early yet noisy crowd screamed in fear.

“The Wolf-Princess!”

“Hurry! Run!!!”

Many people scurried, ran around like a mad ones. Some bowed and some were hiding. But the woman rode past the market and arrived to the palace. She looked at Song-Ak with smirk, but her eyes grew softened at the thought of seeing her old friend again.

The old eunuch hastily approached, giving her a bow ignoring his shaking body.

“Welcome back, fourth princess.”

Princess So-Hee has come home from Shinju for Spirit Ritual that comes within a week. But whatsmore, she heard a news of her friend’s injury and immediately went back. She grinned with grace and pride for this day was an only opportunity to stay at the palace.

 

Note:
Done~! Sorry for people who have been waiting for this…I was also working on other fics…Later, I will try make more of them and this as soon as possible…