Win

Guilty Carnation
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Chapter 3 – Win~

            Shownu is alive.

            He's barely breathing.

            But he's most definitely alive.

            It's hot. Unbearably hot.

            The inside of his head pounds relentlessly.

            He feels like vomiting but there's nothing in his stomach to heave up aside from bile.

            He sits huddled in one corner of the cell with little energy to do much else. The side of his head rests against the cool stone wall, it brings forth a sigh of relief out of him. It eases the burning just a bit. Shownu just wants to go to sleep.

            Sleep isn't insufferable like being awake.

            Shownu closes his eyes and let's his vision swim in the darkness. Things feel better this way. It's like slipping into an escape.

            It feels like only minutes later when Shownu opens his eyes again. But everything is changed. He's no longer in his cell, he doesn’t have the slightest clue where he is, and there is only one light illuminating him from above limiting his sight to everything within the spotlight's reach. The rest of his surroundings are pitch black. He feels a spike in anxiety as he scans his surroundings for any indication of trouble coming his way. But there's nothing. No wind. No sound. No smell. Nothing.

            Shownu opens his mouth to say something into the endless void but then a click rings out from in front of him and he immediately shuts his mouth. His heart beats erratically. That click could belong to anything but the first conclusion Shownu jumps to is that it belongs to a weapon.

            Everything might just end here.

            He doesn't want to die here.

            The realization hits him harder than any blow he's taken. If he has to die, the very least he wants is to be able to say goodbye. He wasn't able say goodbye to his grandfather and now… now he won't be able to even say goodbye to his friends. Shownu wouldn't say that his life was filled with regrets but it seems closure is the one thing he will never have.

            Surrounded by a black void, empty of light and warmth, Shownu believes he's going to die alone.

            There's a loud pop noise that follows the click like the cracking of glass. Shownu flinches and tenses up, he prepares himself for the inevitable impact that'll stop his heart or shatter his brain to bits.

            But that never comes either.

            Several heavy duty six bulb light stands, all encompassing and nearly blinding, flashes on. It illuminates a huge sleek boxing ring. The typical ropes replaced with metal chains and the four corners each have their own lights shining towards center stage. Shownu has never seen anything like it before but he could give less of a damn because at the center of it all, standing on an elevated circular platform, gripping a sword pointed downwards with both hands, and two muscular guards wearing teddy bear heads flanking him, stood Jooheon.

            Jooheon.

            Shownu doesn't believe the sight in front of his eyes. It has to be a lie. Even if he wishes that it could be true, it's not Jooheon, can't be Jooheon. It's impossible.

            But then he meets the Jooheon impersonator's eyes and Shownu recognizes the feeling of familiarity wrapped up in them. Shownu sees the way the Jooheon holds himself with an air of strength and dignity he's always had. Shownu acknowledges the fire that burns in those eyes, the same eyes he's looked into time and time again when they were all together. And when the Jooheon before him speaks, even though it's just his name, it's with a voice that is unmistakably ringing with the sound of home, and comfort, and endearment, and everything he's missed so much.

            "Shownu." Jooheon doesn't move from his position but he does show concern in the crinkle of his brow and the worry lines at the corners of his frown.

            For the first time, since he's lost his grandfather and been trapped in this hell hole, Shownu feels something stir in his chest once again.

            It's all so convincing. He sees that this really could be Jooheon. But it isn't. He must remind himself of that fact because if Jooheon was here with him that could only mean they're both dead and that's the last thing Shownu would ever want.

            Jooheon speaks up again, his voice quiet but commanding, "Shownu, I need you to come forward."

            There is a moment of hesitation but Shownu has a fleeting thought that if he was to die here, by a sword no less, at least it'll be by Jooheon's hands even if it may not be the real one. He'll die with the remnant memory of his friends any day over dying alone.

            Shownu climbs into the boxing ring between the metal chains with ease. He's calm as he takes a few short strides and steps up onto the circular platform to stand in front of Jooheon. Up close, Shownu is struck with another dose of nostalgia. This Jooheon's expression is sharp and unwavering, it reminds Shownu of the night they shared their first taste of the elixir and how lost they've felt until they found each other again.

            Jooheon doesn't waver in his gaze but he does pick the sword up and point it skyward. He says, "I need you to kneel."

            Shownu responds for the first time since he's met this Jooheon. "Why?"

            "Don't you trust me?" Jooheon smiles. Dimples and all.

            "No. Not you." Shownu says, "But Jooheon… I trust. I trust the real Jooheon."

            "I am Jooheon."

            Shownu stares blankly.

            "I need you to kneel Shownu," Jooheon says, "We'r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter