Author Note + Explanations

Sea of Flames
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N, and a bit of an explantion and what I had in mind when writing?

 

Word count: 11,683

 

This is probably the most abstract story I’ve written, mostly because it’s a one shot, but… I’m okay with it? It could be better, but I can’t quite figure out where to fix it. I’ll still be polishing it.  

 

I’m not too sure what I wanted the Sea of Flames to represent — perhaps greed. Despite the gem being awful and cursed and doing more harm to Baekhyun than benefit, he keeps it because he’s greedy and he wants the immortality. And because he’s already sacrificed everything for it, he sees no reason to get rid of it. Despite knowing inwardly that he still is sacrificing things for it day by day — the ability to talk to others, make friends, have loved ones — he tries to convince himself otherwise and shuts himself out from other people. And despite knowing and acknowledging the fact that he really does hate the stone and what it brings, he still keeps it.

 

The curse on the Sea of Flames which prevents Baekhyun from basically loving anyone kind of shows the price of immortality. Because being immortal separates him from being exactly human, and because he’s chosen immortality over humanity, he lives his life secluded from others. But despite that, he still is a human with emotions and needs and wants and being alone for thousands of years have definitely taken it’s toll on him because he’s desperately lonely.

 

While the curse on the Sea of Flames grants him immortality, it restricts Baekhyun from living like a normal person. And because he cannot interact with others, it doesn’t allow him to really live.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter