Magics & Spells Part 1

The Magical You

Chapter 1.1: Magics & Spells Part 1

 Word Count:  10,396 words

Posted: 02/18/17

  


 

 

“Okay, Luhan. You can do it! You just have to tell Lay how you really feel. You just have to pour your heart out. You just have to blend the right words to tell how much you love him. Okay? Okay! Fighting!” For others, the deer-like boy with a bright red hair talking to his self in the middle of the crowded bar full of people making out here and there might probably need to consult on a psychiatrist. With the judging stare the people are giving whenever they happen to pass by the young man, it doesn’t take a genius that indeed, the red-haired boy or as his name goes by Luhan, looks like a freak and a weirdo considering his actions. Because, who the hell would close their eyes and talk to themselves in the middle of a bar full of half-drunken people and teenagers making out on the couch or dancing on the dance floor as the beautiful voice of the female vocalist, Kim Taeyeon, for that night’s band rocking on The XOXO bar? Well, it’s obviously Luhan. The deer-like boy whose heart is now pounding like a drum inside his ribcage. The boy whose palm is now sweating despite of the cold weather that night. The boy whose now drinking half a bottle of beer just so he wouldn’t be too nervous and act like a freaking freak and a weirdo once his best friend Lay steps inside the bar.

 

Because once and for all, that night will be the night that will change Luhan’s life forever (for better, hopefully). Because that night, he already decided to step out of his comfort zone. Thanks to a certain diva best friend named Baekhyun, he told Luhan that he should always seize the moment. Time should not be wasted. Because, who the hell knows? Tomorrow you might be dead. Or maybe after an hour, or any minute by now. Luhan shook his head. No, the last thing his pathetic brain needs right now is to have any suicidal or death thoughts.

 

He needs to be focus! Focus on his confession! Focus on Lay! Because for Luhan, confessing to his childhood best friend is like riding a broken hot air balloon. There’s no assurance that everything will be alright. ‘And what if Lay rejects me? Oh God, what if he thinks I’m disgusting of liking someone whose in the same gender as mine? But no, it’s not like me as a biual is the most hottest and newest gossip in town. I’ve already had a boyfriend before and all of them knew that. And it's not like Lay haven't fallen in love with the same gender as him. But what if he’ll hate me for liking my own best friend? Because oh God, we’re best friends since diapers for God’s sake! And best friends shouldn’t fall in love with each other, right? What if this friendship will be ruined just because of this pathetic confession I’ll make tonight?! And oh God, I forgot how to start?! Is it ‘Well, Lay you see we’ve been best friends for a while but I’m really in love with you?’ Oh God, no! I’m doomed!’ Luhan thought to himself and again, drank a beer from his glass and swallow the rough and bitter taste of the liquid down his throat. The last thing Luhan needs is to do something stupid and act stupid that might probably freak out Lay and would make him question why he’s even friends with the deer boy in the first place. And suddenly, as if his own brain is mocking at him, a sudden flashback of a certain scene which Luhan doesn’t want to remember ever on his life starts to run inside his mind. The moment when he first make his own confession back then on Grade 8th for his crush.

 

And oh God, he can still remember the same shaky hands and sweaty palms. How loud his heart is also beating like he run for miles in an hour. And how his head is hanging low and how he stop his tracks once he saw a pair of shiny black shoes and felt a figure of a man in front of him. How his shaky hands gave the purple box full of chocolates including a love letter he personally written for his senior crush. And that I love you he shouted in a high pitch voice that even the students inside the classroom on that hallway might probably heard it, there is no doubt to that. And how he was met by a really different face. The disgustingly yellowish teeth and the breath which still smells like an onion. The dry and loose curly hair which Luhan felt shivers just by the thought of running his hands through it. And that face full of pimples, black heads and other skin pores and a big round of eye glasses which only horrifies the deer boy a lot.

 

Yeah, well obviously it’s not his crush. It’s someone who has the same shoes as his senior crush, Siwon. It’s already too late to realize that he confessed to the weirdo in their school (next to him, of course), because the next thing he heard is the laughter of the other students whom he didn’t even noticed is already crowding them and the next thing he knew, he was already engulfed in a tight hug by the weirdest and well, not to be judging but only stating a fact (because the boy is really, well, ugly), ugliest kid in the school. And Luhan’s nose even crinkled because he even smell the sweat from the boy’s underarm, Luhan felt himself having a goosebumps and wishing for the ground to just open up and swallow him whole. He even saw his real crush, Siwon, looking at them and laughing his off along with his other senior friends! And his best friend, Lay, whose looking at him questioningly as if asking him why the hell he confessed to the school’s weirdest kid? He couldn’t blame Lay though. The latter knew he would confess to Siwon, not to Shin Jae. The next thing he knew, Lay bust into the crowd and pull him away from the smelly Shin Jae and all throughout the walk home, Luhan never really said anything.

 

As if, he’s in a state of shock. Well, he kinda really is. Hell, Luhan can still remember himself taking a shower and cleaning his body with his strawberry scented soap just so he could erase all the remnants of Shin Jae’s smell throughout his body. He also remember himself not going to school the next day. And oh well, Luhan just hate it. Shin Jae always follows him around and they were even considered as the Freaky Couple of their university! Luhan just can’t thank the Lord enough once the news of Shin Jae transferring to another school was confirmed. Since then, Luhan got a phobia of confessing his love to his crush. Not like Siwon is his last crush, of course.

 

He had a various number of crush back then in high school. He even got his first boyfriend on his junior year, which is Kim Jongin, a famous dancer on his old school. But in their case, it’s Kai who confessed to him not the other way around. So it’s safe to say, Luhan never really tried confessing to anyone again after his first failed attempt of confession to Siwon or more like, to Shin Jae. Who would’ve thought that after many years, here he was again? With a clammy hands and rapid heart beat, he would confess his love again for someone. And this time, it’s his best friend, Lay. The guy he’s been friends with since God-knows-when. And well, he’s not just risking his self to this, but he’s also risking their friendship because of this confession he’s gonna make.

 

But then, it’s better to be rejected and to know the answer than to let the chance slip out from your fingertips and regret later, right? So with one final breath, he finished drinking his beer until there’s no more drop left. Once again, he felt the stinging sensation drip down on his throat and his vision gets blurry for a moment as his head throbs in pain. Must be the effect of the beer. Well, it’s much better for Luhan. With the help of this beer, he can confess his feelings to Lay without much hesitation and nervousness. ‘Okay, Luhan. You can do this. Fighting! Just remember to look at Lay’s face before saying the magic words,’ Luhan thought. He nods in determination as he look around to see any signs of the black haired and tall boy.

 

“Damn, since when did you start drinking beer, huh, Luhan?” Luhan almost jolted up on his seat once he heard the same gentle yet deep voice owned by the man who can make his heart beat in joy. Luhan looked behind him and there, he saw the man of his dreams. The man whom he had fallen in love with for over a year now. The man whose been with him since they were kids. The man who knows him more than anyone else. And Luhan thinks Lay would be the perfect partner he could have for the rest of his life, if he would be given a chance, of course.

 

“Oh, L-Lay! Y-You’re there!” Luhan said, the stuttering voluntarily came out on his mouth.

 

‘Damn it, why am I stuttering right now?! Ain’t I drank a lot of beer enough not to be sober on times like this?! Geez!’ Luhan bit his bottom lip because of the sudden nervousness creeping inside his chest once again. He heard Lay chuckle, and oh God, he felt like he just heard an angel laugh. Lay sat beside him and orders a beer for himself on the waiting bartender. He then look at Luhan whose now rubbing his palms together.

 

“So... tell me, what makes our little Lulu drink a beer now? I thought you hated beer and isn’t really a big fan of this beverage?” Lay said, smiling teasingly as he look at Luhan. Luhan suddenly felt his cheeks turning a bright shade of red once he felt Lay’s gaze on him.

 

“Ahm, w-well. I just... well, ahm...” Lay cut him off.

 

“Hahaha! It’s okay, little Lulu. To be honest, I’m proud of you now! Like, look! You’ve made your first drink of beer! Because God knows how much I’m sick with the sight of you always drinking the same coke in can every time we go in here. Sometimes, you just need to loosen up, you know? Though, I’m a little bit disappointed I’m not here beside you when you made your first drink. You’re there beside me when I first drank alcohol,” Lay said, pouting. And Luhan swore he just wanted to drown himself by kissing that red lips of his. Though, he can’t also help but to laugh on what Lay have just said. A sudden memory came flashing back on him.

 

“Yeah. And I can still remember how you keep on asking “Where’s my unicorn plushie?” and how you throw up on my favorite shirt that night! God! You know how much I hate you that moment?! Too bad, you’re already knocked out after you threw up on me. I can’t knocked you up enough,” Luhan said. That cause for Lay to laugh even more. His eyes twinkle like the stars at night sky. How Luhan loved that.

 

“Okay, okay. I’m still sorry for that. But hey, I make it up to you by buying you your favorite yoghurt for one week after class!” Lay said defensively. Luhan laugh at the sudden memory. One of the reasons why he fell in love with the man in front of him. He’s just too gentle. Too kind. Too perfect. And he never really left Luhan’s side. After a few minutes, the waiter came back with a beer on his hand and gave it to Lay.

 

Lay thanked the waiter and soon look back at Luhan again. Luhan felt a lump on his throat. He knew any minute by now, he needs to confess everything to his best friend. Whether it ends up good or bad, Luhan just couldn’t wait any more. All those feelings building up inside his chest are soon gonna burst. And he’s not going to wait for that to happen. Because he knew, once it happened, the consequences might be horrible.

 

“So... I have something to tell you,” Luhan started.

 

“What is it?” Lay asked, drinking his beer.

 

Luhan felt his throat dry, again. He swallowed his saliva and said, “Ahm...”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Ah! Hahaha! Where’s Baekhyun? I thought he’s gonna come tonight?” Luhan asked.

 

‘Great, Luhan. Just great,’ Luhan thought to himself. Just, how can he be more stupid?! Geez! Luhan get a hold of the bottle of mineral water beside him which he also bought earlier and gulp the said liquid to clean up his dried throat. You just can’t imagine how much Luhan wanted to smack his head on the table now.

 

The spark on Lay’s eyes never really went unnoticed by the deer boy once Baekhyun’s name is mentioned. It made Luhan’s lips curved up in a sad smile though Lay never really noticed it. Hell, no one will ever noticed it since it happened for just a mere second. To be honest, Luhan thinks he already knew what would happen that night. He already knew what Lay’s answer would be. Yet, he still want to try. He still want to know the answer right from Lay himself.

 

‘It ain’t bad trying, right?’ Luhan thought sadly.

 

“Baekhyun is here. In fact, I saw him at the entrance. I think he’s just somewhere. Maybe in the dance floor. But then, he’s with Chanyeol. So...” The hint of jealousy and sadness on Lay’s voice was the first thing Luhan noticed. And so, he flashed a sad smile. Sometimes, he just want to curse at life. Though, he’s not the type of person to curse and hate the life itself. Luhan still believes on the positive and still never loses hope. Because if he does, he will not be on that seat. He will not try confessing to his best friend even though he already lose the unofficial game between him and Baekhyun in the first place.

 

Even though life is unfair, Luhan still believes everything happens for a reason. And hey, he still wanna try.

 

“Hmm, I see. Are you jealous?” Lay seemed to be surprised on what Luhan just said. If Luhan wasn’t hurting, he would totally laugh at his best friend’s hilarious face right now. Though, he still can’t help the small curve making it’s way on his lips and forming a little smile. All because after all, he’s still Lay’s best friend. And he wouldn’t give up that title just because he would fail to become the latter’s lover.

 

“W-What are you talking about? Hahaha! Yah, you little Lulu! Why would I get jealous?!” Lay tried to sound normal yet the stuttering on his voice doesn’t go unnoticed by Luhan. Luhan just smile because of his best friend’s sudden action. Lay would always deny it even though he already knew he’s caught up in the first place. He would still try. And what makes it ironic, is he can never lie to Luhan. He can fool anyone but not Luhan. Luhan knew his best friend from the way his cheeks would turn bright red until the movements of his brows.

 

Lay can never keep a secret to Luhan. And somehow, Luhan is happy to be that kind of person on Lay’s life. “Yah, how many times I told you you can never keep a secret from me. Come on! I already knew you were so obsessed and even collected a lot of unicorn plushies when you were young and you also knew I’m so obsessed with Hello Kitty back when I was in elementary. So, what’s the difference of telling me you were in love with Baekhyun? Not like I’m not there when you peed in your pants on our Arts subject back in Grade school- mmphh!” Luhan never really got the chance to finish his sentence once Lay’s big yet warm hands cover his mouth.

 

“Aish, don’t say it too loud, okay? God, Luhan! Baekhyun can walk in any moment or Chanyeol and they might probably hear you! Chanyeol would beat me to death because of jealousy!” Lay said, hands still covering Luhan’s mouth.

 

“Mmmpphhh! Mmmppphhh!” Luhan tried to wriggle out from Lay’s hold.

 

“Okay, I’ll let you go. But God please, Luhan. Just... do not tell anyone, okay? Please, please, please. Don’t tell anyone. And please, lower down your voice.” Luhan nods and look at Lay in the eyes. Lay sighed and, as if still hesitating, he slowly let go of Luhan’s mouth and sat up straight on his seat again. Luhan took a deep breath and bit down his lower lip. It hurts. He already knew the fact that Lay is in love with their other friend, Baekhyun, yet hearing it directly from his best friend’s mouth causes much pain than Luhan could ever knew. Luhan smile sadly and look at his empty glass of beer. He already lost the competition without even starting it and to someone whose even unaware that there was a competition in the first place.

 

How unfair life can be? “I do love Baekhyun, Luhan. That’s the truth. I fell in love with him at first sight. Since I saw him walking on the entrance gate almost three years ago when he first transferred to our school. He’s like... the most gorgeous being ever living on this earth. I even loved him first and accepted him as what he is. I can risk my life in danger fighting with him at any cause. I vowed never to left his side just like what I would do to you. I loved him first than Chanyeol. And you know what? Sometimes, I can’t help but to regret. Regret the moments when I had a chance to tell him how I really feel before Chanyeol came into the picture and stole him from me. It’s not like he’s mine to be stolen for in the first place. But still... it hurts, you know? I wish... I wish I could go back to the times where there’s still no Chanyeol and maybe then, maybe we could give each other a try? Maybe I’m the one holding him, right now? Maybe I’m the one kissing him at the very moment. Maybe everything would be fine.” Luhan looked at him with his sad eyes. Lay is so genuine. Lay is too kind. He’s the mere witness of it. He knew how much Lay loath Chanyeol in the first place. Yet, just because of Baekhyun, he’s willing to give up his own happiness and even befriend the guy just so Baekhyun would be happy.

 

He’s willing to do everything just for Baekhyun. ‘How lucky Baekhyun can be?’ Luhan thought sadly. He didn’t said anything at all after that. Because, even he himself didn’t know what to say. The nervousness has been long forgotten. Only the pain and heartache remains. How much Luhan wishes he could be Baekhyun. He envy the latter very much.

 

He’s beautiful, even prettier than a girl, and much more prettier than him. He’s confident, he’s strong, he has a purpose in life. Him? The only purpose he had is to maintain his grades and study, study, study. He doesn’t even know how to socialize. He’s already in college yet he felt he’s still that same old Luhan whose a loser and a loner and a nerd back then in high school. People say everything changes. Luhan never did. His life was always going to be a boring ride of a roller coaster, unlike Baekhyun whose always up onto something fun.

 

He can never be Baekhyun. Though, he wish he could. He can’t blame Lay though, for loving Baekhyun. The latter is so kind. So beautiful, so gorgeous. So... perfect. He can never be like that. And yeah, maybe he’s a bit jealous of Baekhyun. But it’s okay.

 

He still love the latter just as much like a real family. Baekhyun always does everything for Luhan and even saves him whenever his life was in danger. Lay look back at Luhan and smile sadly. “So Luhan, do make sure that when you love someone, you won’t waste any chance. Tell them immediately that you love them. Before it’s all too late,” Lay said. Oh, what an ironic their situation is really. Well, life can really be a bastard at times.

 

“Well, I guess I’m already a year late though,” Luhan whispered, a sad smile etched on his face. Lay, not understanding what Luhan have said, look back at the latter with a questioning stare. Luhan just stare at his eyes. Oh, how much he wishes those eyes would also sparkle when his name was mentioned or when it looks on him. Yet, he only sees a light. No sparks, no rainbows. Just a simple beam of pure white light.

 

“What are you talking about, Luhan?” Luhan breathe in and look back straight into Lay’s eyes. He smile as he said.

 

“I love you, Lay.”

 

A few minutes of silence has passed by for the both of them. Luhan isn’t surprised though. In fact, he’s already expecting for such to happen. “W-What did you say? Hahaha! You love me? But... I love you too, Luhan. I mean, you’re my best friend, right? Hahaha! I love you too, of course. And yeah sure, you love me. Hahahaha!” Lay laughed awkwardly.

 

Luhan smile again as he keep his gaze at Lay, “Don’t fool yourself, Lay. I mean... I’m pretty sure you already know what I meant. No need to act like you don’t know. Trust your instincts. I believe you already know what I meant by that.”

 

Again, a few rounds of silence has passed by. Even the blaring music coming from the band performing on stage went unnoticed by Luhan. He doesn’t care at anything by the moment. He doesn’t care about the noisy environment they're in now. All he can hear is his heart beating rapidly and all he can see is Lay’s dark black orbs looking at him and silently... apologizing.

 

“O-Oh. I-I... never really expected this. H-How? W-Why?”

 

“Don’t ask me that question, Lay. Even I myself don’t know how and why. I mean, love was supposed to be like that, isn’t it? We fall in love without any reasons. We just knew we’re in love. And in my case, I felt that for you. I fell in love with my best friend,” Luhan smile.

 

Lay look down, not being able to look onto Luhan’s eyes. Luhan can see the way he bit his bottom lip and sigh. Well, obviously Luhan confessing to him after he confessed he’s in love for Baekhyun was the least thing he expected to happen that night. And so, what was he supposed to say? He doesn’t want to hurt Luhan yet he already knew the latter is already hurting now.

 

“I-I’m sorry, Luhan. I-I love Baekhyun.”

 

Lay heard Luhan chuckle. He then look up and was met by Luhan’s sad eyes. And oh God, how much he wants to hug his best friend right now. He could have never imagined for this things to happen. He never really want to be the cause of his best friend’s heart being broken this time. He was suppose to make him happy, not to be the reason why he needs someone to make him happy. Luhan is his best friend. He loves him of course, but not the type of love he felt with Baekhyun. He look down again, he can’t meet Luhan’s sad eyes anymore.

 

“You know what, at least when you’re rejecting me, try to look at my face okay? Hahaha!” Luhan tried to joke and sound cheery yet inside, he knew he sounds far from it. Inside, he knew something just snapped and died. His heart stop beating from a second and fell down into emptiness of nothing.

 

“I’m sorry, Luhan. I’m really sorry.”

 

And just after he said that, Luhan cups his cheeks and lifts up his face. He was then met by Luhan’s sparkling brown orbs. It’s perfect, really. How Luhan’s eyes can still shine even though it reflect sadness and pain. And the next thing Lay knew, Luhan crashes his lips onto his. Lay can’t tell it is a kiss. Luhan just simply put their lips together. No one bothered to move. They just stayed like that, lips pressed with each other, feeling the softness of one another.

 

Lay can say that Luhan’s lips are really soft. And he wouldn’t be too shocked if it also tastes sweet. But then, he felt nothing. No rapid beating of the heart, no spark, no hazy feeling. And from there he knew. He knew Luhan will be nothing but just a mere best friend for him. Luhan pull out from the kiss after a few seconds. Lay look at him with a puzzled expression and asked, “Why did you do that?”

 

Luhan smile sadly. “I did that because I want to seize the moment. Baekhyun told me to seize the moment. Because tomorrow I might be dead. Haha and even just for a moment, I at least want to do something that I really want. I at least want to have a confidence like Baekhyun and prove to myself that even a nerd like me can go out from my comfort zone and do something... different. Even if it means kissing my best friend whose not in love with me,” Luhan chuckled.

 

Again, Lay sighed. He look apologetically at Luhan. “I’m really sorry, Luhan. But I can’t return your feelings for me. I would hurt you even more if I fool you that I love you. I would be lying if I told you we could give each other a chance. I can’t Luhan. I’m really sorry. You’re precious, beautiful. You don’t have anything to prove. You’re perfect on your own way. Someday, Luhan. Someday, you would meet someone who will take all the pain away. All the insecurities. And would make you feel like the most perfect person in the world.”

 

Luhan nods. And Lay’s heart ache even more once he saw a single drop of tear fell from Luhan’s left eye. “It’s okay. I’m okay. I’ll be okay. I’m just... seizing the moment. Hahaha! I’m still happy. Thank you, Lay. For being true to me. I’m in love with you today, yes. I’m hurting today, yes. But that doesn’t mean it will storm forever, right? I’ve already know from the start I have no chance. I’m not dumb enough not to realize you’re in love with Baekhyun. And I can’t blame you for that. Baekhyun is just someone you could easily fell in love with. He can even tame the beast in Chanyeol, haha. So... it’s not really shocking that someone like you would fell in love with him. Sometimes... sometimes I wish I was Baekhyun,” Luhan confessed.

 

Lay opened his mouth to say something but Luhan beat him to it, “Don’t get it wrong. I’m not mad at Baekhyun. I just... envy him. He’s strong, powerful, talented, confident, intelligent, and you can easily socialize with him. While me? I’m just... Mister A Grader. Haha. But you know what? I envy him the most because he has you. He has your heart.” Luhan looked at Lay.

 

“But you have my heart too, Luhan,” Lay said.

 

Luhan nods. “I know that. You have my heart too, Lay. I mean we’re best friends since kindergarten. And I’m not sorry for loving you. I never regret that. I also never regret confessing to you tonight. Too bad, our souls aren’t meant for each other,” Luhan said.

 

Lay nods, “Yeah. Too bad.”

 

A moment of silence passed by. Lay stare at Luhan and smile, “But you know... if ever I would get a chance to fall in love with someone other than have an unrequited love with Baekhyun, it would have been you. Without a heart beat, Luhan. It would have been you. My heart would choose you, I’m sure of that.”

 

Luhan smile. This time, it’s a true and genuine smile. He nods, “I’ll take that as a compliment.”

 

“It is a compliment,” Lay said, grinning.

 

They both laugh like nothing ever happens. Like, the other one never really broke the others heart. They laugh like they just shared a genuine joke. They laugh like... everything doesn’t hurt. They laugh like how they did when Lay was so excited to drink his very first beer on his whole life.

 

“So... a beer for our broken hearts?” Lay asked.

 

Luhan act like he was thinking for a while. But after a few seconds, he enthusiastically nods and laugh. Lay ordered him another glass of beer at the bartender. Luhan just look at his best friend lovingly and sadly.

 

‘And even though I failed to be your lover, I’m still happy to be your best friend. Maybe one day I can also find the answer. The answer why you weren’t for me and I weren’t for you. And I hope someday, you can also find the answer. Why Baekhyun isn’t for you and you’re not for him. Yeah. Maybe one day

 

 


 

 

“Sorry, I’m late! I got caught up in the book store. There’s just so many customers today, considering it’s weekend!” Luhan said, exhausted, as he opened the door at the Magic Box.

 

Right now, the EXO, or what they like to call themselves, is having a meeting at the Magic Box. Technically, Magic Box has always been their meeting place. Magic Box is a small shop owned by none other than their leader, Kim Junmyeon which also goes by the name Suho. Suho is the oldest between all of them. Therefore, once they graduated from high school, Suho quits from being a librarian on their old school and decided to make a small business and that’s where the history of Magic Box started. Usually, Magic Box is the most favorite shop of Luhan, besides the other book stores of course. The deer boy loves reading the books in the Magic Box. Usually, the books there are contained of histories of different species like vampires, werewolves, witches, hybrids, demons, angels, and many more. They also sell some herbs and mostly weird stuffs (for normal people of course, but in their case they are weird so... it’s pretty normal for them) like voodoo dolls, black candles, old and ancient books, and many more creepy things. But of course, for the EXO gang, who lived almost their whole high school year dealing with creepy and evil stuffs, looking at a book and studying about demons is pretty normal for them.

 

But what Luhan loved most about this magical shop is the fact that the owner itself, which is Suho, believes in magic. The magic shop also contains some calming herbs that, as what Luhan said, “can help me let out my natural energy and sooth my nerves.” But most importantly, Luhan totally love reading the old books located at the corner of the store where no one really pays any attention to. Because the books there contains many things and secrets about spells. Magical spells. By the amount of time Luhan always spends reading those books, you can pretty say that the deer boy is really obsessed with magics. And to be honest, he’s really curious if he himself can do such spell like the ones in the books. It doesn’t matter whether it’s a big or a small spell, whether it’s just for healing or for floating things using your mind, as long as he can do a spell... he would be really happy. Luhan has been focusing on reading a lot of books about magics and spells this past few weeks, he almost forgot his heart being broken by the rejection from his best friend, Lay.

 

Speaking of Lay, he immediately spots the latter sitting across the counter. Lay look at him and flashed his genuine smile with a small wave from his hands. Luhan smiled back, of course, and removed his leather jacket. Putting the jacket in a small chair near him, he immediately went to Lay’s side and sat beside him. Well, they are still best friends of course. Luhan is more than thankful enough knowing the fact that nothing really changed between the two of them. Lay still treats him as genuine as before, even more genuine now. And for Luhan, to be honest, he never really felt anything awkward whenever he is with Lay. It’s like, nothing happened between them unlike of the awkwardness one would expect to have whenever they are with the person they love yet rejects them after such a confession.

 

But for the both of them, none of those occur. And the both of them can’t be more than happy enough. Though, of course, the broken hearts are still never forgotten.

 

“I’m really sorry. How long have you been waiting?” Luhan asks as he look at Baekhyun whose across them and Chanyeol by his side.

 

Baekhyun flashed him a smile, the kind of smile Luhan knew Lay have fallen for. “It’s okay! We also just came. We’re just a few minutes earlier, I guess,” Baekhyun responds.

 

Luhan nods. He stare at the couple across them. The small and tiny kisses Chanyeol is giving to Baekhyun’s neck never left unnoticed by Luhan. And he is very sure Lay noticed it as well. Though, maybe Lay was just used to such scene that he never felt awkward about it anymore. But Luhan knew it still hurts Lay. Just like how it hurts him. Seeing his best friend hurting because of the boy he loves who loves someone else. He look at Lay, he’s smiling.

 

Though, the flash of sadness was slow enough for Luhan because he still caught a glimpse of it. He hold Lay’s hand and squeeze it gently. Causing for Lay to look at him. And just by the look they gave to each other, as if they read each others minds, they already know what the other one is thinking. Well, that’s the magic of their friendship. They can immediately recognize if the other one has a problem by just a simple look. Luhan gave Lay a comforting message through his eyes and Lay seemed to get it for the latter responds with a sad smile and a nod. Luhan smile as well, and just hold Lay’s hand the entire time. Continuously, Luhan rub his thumb on the back of Lay’s hand as he squeeze it gently.

 

Luhan smile as he felt Lay relaxed by just his touches. At the same time, he’s proud. Proud that he’s the only one who has this kind of effect to Lay. Luhan looked back at the couple across them. Chanyeol is now holding Baekhyun’s waist possessively and giving Baekhyun light kisses on the neck. The smaller seems to be pushing Chanyeol away yet of course, the giant wouldn’t easily give in. Causing for Baekhyun to just pout adorably and playfully smack the taller’s chest. Luhan can’t help but to smile and coo at the adorable couple in front of them. Don’t get it wrong, Luhan doesn’t hold any grudge against Baekhyun for hurting his best friend.

 

At the very first place, Luhan never hated Baekhyun for anything. He, in fact, is thankful to Baekhyun for coming onto their boring lives back then in high school. Because of Baekhyun, he realized there’s something more into this world other than the books, assignments, projects and quizzes. And even if he’s still not the most confident boy in town, Luhan is still proud enough to say he have experienced many thing a lot of people still haven’t experienced. Like, almost getting bit by a vampire on their sophomore year, or facing their own nightmare of being humiliated on the crowd yet still standing up by the end, or seeing a person died not just one time, but a lot of times already. And even until now, it still happens. If it’s another person, they might be mad at Baekhyun for coming into their lives and putting their life on such risk. Wherein you can even say that death is following you and you might die any moment as of now. But Luhan never get mad at Baekhyun for that, in fact, he treats danger as an adventure.

 

An adventure for Luhan’s all too boring life. And he’s more than glad to be part of it even though he’s just a sideman for the real hero, which is Baekhyun.

 

“So... Baekhyun. How’s the training for the potentials?” their guardian, Suho, asked Baekhyun as he get out of the stockroom.

 

All eyes turned to the now sweaty yet still handsome guardian of the EXO. Luhan can still remember his first time meeting Suho. Back then in high school, library was his most favorite place. And when he heard that their old librarian have retired from work, of course the deer boy is sad. He is friends with the librarian in their school. And having a new librarian, means having another awkward moment of talking and socializing to new people. Which of course, he didn’t have with the old librarian since the retired librarian already known him since he’s a freshmen. Well, hell. He’s the only kid in the whole academy who loves hanging out in the library on their free time.

 

Luhan at first thought the new librarian would be snobbish since he heard he even came from Switzerland. Yet, when he entered the library that one Monday afternoon, he was greeted by the warm and angelic smile of Kim Junmyeon, as what his nameplate says. And Luhan didn’t know, it’s as if warming up to the older man is as easy as solving math problem (Luhan loves Math). From then on, Suho has been his role model. He even allowed Luhan to call him Suho instead of Mr. Kim. He told Luhan many facts about the Joseon Dynasty, and what amaze Luhan more is that Suho is indeed intelligent. Oh, how much Luhan loves listening to Suho’s story about the places he set his foot on to and about many more things outside their country. Luhan loved those kind of things. He love discovering and learning new things.

 

And it doesn’t take a genius to say that indeed, Luhan is magnified because of Suho’s abilities and wise and gentle personality. For Luhan, Suho was like an older brother to him. He never had an older brother. Baekhyun’s exasperated sigh cut Luhan from his thoughts. He look at Baekhyun whose face immediately changed from being all smiley into a sour one once Suho asked the question. Baekhyun annoyingly rub his nose and pout adorably. Luhan smile because of his other best friend’s cute expression.

 

“Oh Suho hyung, don’t ask me about it. You know exactly what happened,” Baekhyun rolled his eyes like a diva he is.

 

Suho removes the specs he is wearing. Rubbing it’s glasses from the hem of his shirt, he look back at Baekhyun and said, “No, I don’t know what happened. What exactly happened, Byun Baekhyun?”

 

Baekhyun scoff and reveal his wrist to everyone. Luhan gasp as soon as he saw the bandage on Baekhyun’s skin. Baekhyun slowly removed the bandage and that’s where they finally got a good look from a cut on Baekhyun’s milky white skin. It’s still fresh though, Luhan can still see the dried blood on Baekhyun’s cut. Luhan also noticed Chanyeol looking away and keeping his distance from Baekhyun. Baekhyun, upon noticing Chanyeol’s discomfort, probably because of the smell of his blood, immediately covered the cut with the bandage again. He then scoff loudly and answered Suho.

 

“Well, you see? This cut is made by that kid again! Suho hyung, I never ever want to train that spoiled brat ever again! Geez! Look at what he did to me. Last time, he scratch me on my neck using his fingers. And now, while I’m teaching him how to use a ing sword, look! He ing cut my skin and even told me it’s just an accident! Like, the would I believe that stupid lie?! I’m really going to kill that stupid kid, I am telling you Suho hyung! I’m not going to resist any more longer if ever that kid get on my guts again!” Baekhyun said angrily, you can literally see him blowing fire in the air.

 

Suho just sigh and rub his temples. ‘Well, as expected,’ he thought.

 

Of course, he wouldn’t expect for Baekhyun and for Sehun to be the best of friends immediately. But Suho never expects that their childish cat fight and hate relationship would last for almost three months now! Like, hell, can you believe that?! They’ve been bickering for each other for three months now and Suho wouldn’t even be surprised anymore if ever they found the two kids cutting each others throats one day. Hell, Suho didn’t even know why the two hate each others existence very much. It’s like, they were born to fight and they made bickering each other as their hobby once they introduce them to one another. Well, Suho already had this idea that it’s always Sehun who picks up a fight and starts the bickering round at Baekhyun. And Baekhyun being Baekhyun, he’s always so sassy that he would never let himself get lost from bickering because of just a mere high school kid. And of course, the both are two boastful of their prides that Suho would bet his thumb that their fight will surely last until their bodies are six feet under the ground.

 

Suho just don’t understand why Sehun hates Baekhyun very much. Surely, the kid really is kind of... well, quiet and he already understand that it wouldn't be easy to deal with that potential ever since he met him. Hell, he even chase him for 30 minutes when he first met him and Sehun just keep on cursing at him. Suho was even sure Sehun knew a way lot of curses more than Luhan whose a lot older than the kid. And well, speaking of Luhan...

 

“Yah, Baekhyun-ah! No cursing, please!” Luhan reminds.

 

Baekhyun, upon remembering that Luhan isn’t really fond of people cursing around him, immediately shut his mouth and sigh. “I’m sorry, Luhannie. It’s just that. That ing Sehun-”

 

“Baekhyun,” there came Luhan’s warning voice.

 

Baekhyun sighed again and looked down, “I’m sorry. I’m just so pissed off because of that kid. I mean, seriously. He’s really getting on my nerves! Suho hyung, why don’t you just train that kid all by yourself? Or why don’t you just send him to Europe and let the other watcher like you train that potential slayer?!”

 

Baekhyun is really mad right now, Luhan is very sure of that. To be very honest, ever since Suho told them that he met another potential slayer, at first Baekhyun was so excited. He even immediately agreed on training the potential so the latter would be prepared and would know how to fight for himself. But then, the next morning, after the night where Suho introduces Baekhyun to Sehun, Luhan immediately took notice of how Baekhyun keep on saying bad things about the kid. Like, how Sehun is too much of a punk, a brat, impolite, and childish. Luhan never met Sehun, so it’s really hard to judge. All he knows is that for three months, Sehun and Baekhyun never really had the best relationship ever. And he just doesn’t understand because Baekhyun is someone who could get along with anyone. He even tamed the bully, Kim Jongdae, back then in high school.

 

So, they thought it won’t be too hard for Sehun to be friends with Baekhyun. They even thought their hate relationship would only last for a week or two. Sehun and Baekhyun meets thrice a week for training on their free time. And well, it’s been three months now and still, there’s no improvement. It even seems like their grudge against each other increases day by day. Luhan just don’t understand. How hard being with Sehun can be? Well, he never really met the high school kid in the first place so he doesn’t have any idea.

 

“Look, Baekhyun. Sehun is an orphan. I believe he have isolated himself ever since he found his parents dead on their own house. He’s raised by his abusive aunt and uncle. Therefore, it would really be hard for the kid to warm up immediately. Just give him time, Baekhyun. He’s a potential. There would come a time or a moment where both of you will fight against the demons and the bad vampires. You both will fight for the world. Just understand him. It’s hard for him to cope up with this. All his life, he’s been treated badly by his own relatives. It’s hard for him to immediately trust someone, Baekhyun-ah,” Suho explained gently.

 

“Suho hyung, you don’t get it. I don’t need that punk’s trust. At least, not now. I so understand that trust is something you can’t just give to anyone. But hey, all I want is some respect. Yet, look at what he’s doing to me! I’m his hyung! And look, he always curses me every day! Calls me stupid, idiot and a bastard! That piece of ! And look, he even slit my wrist now! Don’t be surprise if you just found me dead one day with that kid!” Baekhyun said, huffing and crossing his arms.

 

And as if on cue, Chanyeol wrapped his arms around Baekhyun’s waist and hug the pouting latter. Baekhyun, sensing Chanyeol’s warmth and embrace, immediately relaxed just because of the taller’s effect on him. Only Chanyeol can do that, though. Only the vampire can relax and sooth Baekhyun’s nerves.

 

Luhan smile just by seeing the two adorable couple. Luhan has been one of the witness of Baekhyun’s love story with the vampire. Indeed, the two of them are supposed to hate each others guts and slit each others throats. Chanyeol was suppose to kill Baekhyun because he’s a threat to their kind. Same goes for Baekhyun. He was suppose to kill the taller because he’s a vampire slayer. And it’s her job to protect the people in their town safe from the blood predator. But look at them now, hugging each other and comforting one another. Luhan is so happy for his best friend.

 

He himself knew how much Baekhyun went through when he found out Chanyeol is not a normal person but indeed a vampire. Baekhyun cried on his shoulder when everyone doesn’t agree on the feelings they had for each other. Luhan witnessed everything. And even after all the hardships and circumstances the couple went through, Luhan is so happy to say that finally his best friend found someone that would surely love him for all eternity. Even with their differences. Luhan is sure Chanyeol would protect Baekhyun from his own kind if ever they tried to harm the latter. Luhan already saw Chanyeol when the latter is raging mad. And well, all he can say is... seeing him on such situation is not a good idea at all.

 

And Baekhyun should always be put into safety or else you’ll have to deal with Chanyeol. Which is of course, not a very good idea. And even though Baekhyun is strong enough to protect himself, he still feels small and act like a baby every time he’s engulfed into Chanyeol’s arms. And that is just a sight that Luhan would never feel tired looking on to. He’s very happy for his best friend. As you see, they are not normal. At least not anymore since Baekhyun came to town, transfer on their school and became their friend. Luhan realized there’s still so much more in this world rather than A-Z and x2 and y3. And there’s still so many things he didn’t know despite of the numerous amount of things he learned in school and by reading on his school books.

 

Things like vampires, werewolves and demons that exists. For sure, at first Luhan is scared. Because when he was a child, such creatures are the one living on his nightmares. Yet, he never knew. He never knew that one day, he’d be a part of it. And he would actually see one. He though their town is safe. Oh, how ignorant he can be. Not until Byun Baekhyun arrived on SM Town.

 

At first, he always thought Baekhyun might be one of those bully kids. Well, he saw him being with Kim Jongdae, the bully and the most popular kid in high school. He’s even with Jongdae when the latter just mock at him for being so old-fashioned just because he’s wearing his mother’s old clothes. He saw Baekhyun looking at him, and he didn’t know but he felt like the latter is pitying him. Yet, he just shrugged it off. Thinking Baekhyun is just like Jongdae, a bully that would step onto others just to get them where they want to be. But Baekhyun proved him wrong. Because that day, Baekhyun joined their gang for lunch. That time, it was still him, Lay and Kris.

 

Kris died, though, unfortunately. Because of a vampire. That’s where their friendship started. Baekhyun is scared to tell them his real identity at first, but of course no secrets won’t be revealed. He realized Baekhyun is a vampire slayer. Baekhyun first said that he’s retired on such position because he already wants to live a normal life. Yet, fate always has something in the box for you. He saved Luhan from a vampire guy at The XOXO bar. He also tried to save Kris, but unfortunately, fate hasn’t been good for Kris.

 

But just like the saying goes, when another door closes, another one opens. And that’s where their friendship starts. Baekhyun is the vampire slayer and Luhan and Lay are his sideman or ‘slayerettes’, as what Luhan likes to call it. Baekhyun is destined to fight the vampires, the demons and another forces of darkness. It’s risky, yet it’s also fun. Luhan also realize that Suho isn’t just some goody goody and rich librarian guy. He’s also Baekhyun’s watcher. Or the one who will train the slayer to fight for the evil creatures and would guide him/her to the right path. And for the past years, many things has happened, many vampires has been killed as well as demons, they almost die yet they’re still here, alive, breathing and kicking.

 

Chanyeol is a vampire though. Yet, he’s a good one. He is so genuine and he always take good care of Baekhyun. There are times where they almost break up and Luhan is the mere witness of it all. He’s always there to cheer Baekhyun up. But of course, even after those hard times, the good times always awaits. Now many years has passed, they already graduated from high school, Jongdae have left them to go to China to continue his studies. Even though the bully and prank kid wasn’t really the most nicest guy on high school, he’s still a trusted friend and they considered him as a part of EXO. And Luhan always wishes for a good life for his bully slash semi friend.

 

Now, Suho have found another slayer. Yet, he is not an official slayer yet. There are still some circumstances Sehun needs to go through before they can finally say that he’s already strong enough to kill a demon or a vampire. Of course, being a slayer doesn’t only mean having the strength but also a good heart of being a leader and wise and intelligent brain. And somehow, well, Sehun is still a kid. The evidence is the cut on Baekhyun’s skin. Luhan is more than thankful enough that Chanyeol didn’t do anything bad at Sehun. God knows what Chanyeol can do if ever something bad happens to his beloved Baekhyun.

 

“Baekhyun, just... to be honest, I don’t know what to do with you and Sehun anymore. Just please, try to understand him and longer your patience more. I can’t just send him to Europe or to China. Here in Korea is his hometown. He will just distance himself more to us if ever we tried to send him out of his own homeland. You know this is where he grew up. He wouldn’t want it if we send him to another country far from his hometown,” Suho explained.

 

Sighing, Baekhyun said, “Yeah, yeah, sure. Whatever. Do I have any choice in the first place?”

 

Smiling, Suho nodded at Baekhyun, “I knew you wouldn’t give up so easily to Sehun. Just... be patient with him more, okay? He’ll soon warm up to you, too. Trust me.”

 

“Yeah, sure. Whatever you say, Suho hyung. But hey, you have to treat us a pizza tonight as a payment for the damage that potential slayer kid of yours do to me!” Baekhyun pouted.

 

Suho laughs then nods, “Okay. It’s not like I have any choice.”

 

Grinning, Baekhyun responds “Well, you literally do not have any, hyung.”

 

Luhan laugh because of his friends. Soon, Baekhyun look at him and smile, showing his perfect and pearly white teeth.

 

“Anyways, Luhan hyung. What did you do to the book store? Did you buy another book again?” Baekhyun asked.

 

Luhan nodded. Causing for Baekhyun to groan and gave Luhan a pout. Luhan really found it adorable. Hell, everything about Baekhyun is adorable.

 

“Oh, come on, hyung! You still have a pile of novels that you have to read on our dorm! Yet, you buy another book again?! Geez! Just how much of a bookworm can you get?”

 

“Who said I bought another novel?” Luhan asked innocently.

 

Baekhyun looked at him suspiciously. Eying the paper bag Luhan has beside him, Baekhyun asked, “Then what the hell did you buy this time in the bookstore? Another pen? Folder? Paper, or journal?”

 

Luhan laughed, because well... Baekhyun really knew him too well. Those were the kind of things Luhan always bought in a bookstore. But well, not today. Luhan shook his head as he grin playfully and pull his hands that is still entwined with Lay. He then grab the paper bag and pull out an odd looking book. With just a look of it, it is surely an old book considering the almost yellowish and dirty pages. Yet, for Luhan, it is the real essence of it in the first place. Sometimes, it’s the old books who consists a lot of information rather than the one you can read in the new books this days. Why, you may ask?

 

Because it’s old. And sometimes, old has a lot more value and knowledge because it’s the time itself that made them. Luhan believes that book will be a lot of help to him. Baekhyun looks at him, still with his confused expression. Luhan also felt Lay’s gaze on him and the book he’s holding, same goes with Suho. But well, as for Chanyeol, he just didn’t care and just keep on kissing Baekhyun’s shoulders.

 

“Well, what was that?” Baekhyun asked.

 

Luhan grin happily and wave the book in the air, “Well? It’s a magical spell book! It’s an old book made itself by an old old anonymous witch back then in 1600! This is the last copy of this book! Look, it contains a lot of helpful herbs that I can use to heal someone. This also contains some tips and advices on how to calm your mind and make an effective spell. This has some effective magical spells and witch crafts that I can put into use! Isn’t it amazing, Baekhyun-ah? Lay? I’m so excited to read and know a lot of things about magics and spells!”

 

When Luhan first met Baekhyun, he immediately accepts the latter when he confessed that he is indeed a vampire slayer. Luhan was the first one who came to knew Baekhyun’s relationship with the vampire, Chanyeol. Luhan was the one who understands the vampire slayer for falling in love with his enemy. It’s Luhan who is the most open minded in the EXO. He understands everyone’s feelings and never judged them on their mistakes and imperfectness. He supports them and celebrated with them every time they won over the evil forces. He always sets aside his own self just to help the EXO even though he’s not that strong for a man unlike Lay, even though he doesn’t have any energy force and strength like Baekhyun or Chanyeol, or even though he’s not that confident like Suho. He’s always there for all of them. Even though he himself was full of insecurities and needed help.

 

So, to say that Luhan is indeed disappointed is an understatement when he saw Baekhyun and Lay who just look at him blankly and on the book he’s holding. He tried to keep up his smile and said enthusiastically again, “Look! I’m going to learn a lot of things about spells and magics! And maybe then, I could be a powerful witch and I can use my abilities to help you fight some demons and magical creatures, don’t you think so Baekhyun? Aren’t you excited?!”

 

Luhan tries to smile so wide to hide the pain but as the minutes passed, he saw no reaction to Baekhyun and Lay. It’s melting his remaining confidence little by little. Little by little until there’s nothing left. Not until Baekhyun cleared his throat and spoke, “Ahm... hmm. Magics, huh? Well, are you sure that’s effective? I mean... vampires are more realistic than magics and lifting objects, you know? Aren’t that book only full of fake and white lies?”

 

“Yeah, Luhan. I mean, not to judge but... not because something is put into a book already means it’s true and real. I mean, you can’t just based everything into a book,” Lay said beside him.

 

“Because who the hell would still believe in magics on this kind of days? I mean, we’re a new generation now. Isn’t magics a bit too old... fashioned?” Baekhyun added.

 

Luhan swallowed the forming lump on his throat and put the book behind him. Indeed, Luhan is like a precious vase. Easy to get broken. Easy to let down. It’s so easy for anyone to put his self confidence down with just a simple words. It takes him a lot of time to be confident to himself yet for just a mere second, anyone would just put him down that easily. Luhan hates that. Biting his lower lip, Baekhyun immediately realized their mistake once he saw the deer boy looking down on the floor. Tears seemed to flow any minute by now on his eyes.

 

Baekhyun sighed as he pull off from Chanyeol’s hug and walk towards Luhan. He engulf the deer boy onto a warm hug and patted his back. Luhan didn’t do anything. He doesn’t want to cry as well. He’s such a cry baby. He’s always the weakest, yet he doesn’t want to prove them right even more. “Luhan, look I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to judge immediately. It’s just... witch crafts are crazy. And it’s just hard for me to believe that, you know?” Baekhyun said. Luhan look at Baekhyun in the eyes.

 

“Not because something sounds crazy doesn’t mean it’s impossible, Baekhyun. You sound like those kids in our high school when you told them demons are real. I just never would’ve expected that you, of all people, would tell me something is impossible,” Luhan smile sadly and grab his leather jacket.

 

He then wore his jacket and put the book in the paper bag once more. And just before Lay could stop him from leaving, he already bowed to Suho and left the Magic Box. Leaving Baekhyun stoned on his place and Lay with his hands in the air. The same hands that Luhan hold the entire time and the same hands which supposed to stop the latter from leaving. A few minutes passed by, no one dared to speak. Baekhyun really looks hurt and he really blame himself for telling those things to Luhan. He knew Luhan is sensitive. He knew that of all people. How can he be so damned foolish?

 

Sometimes, he just want to sew his mouth for saying so many stupid things. How can he say those things to their sweet, naive and innocent Luhan? Luhan is just an innocent boy, surely he’s still those kind of people that would believe in magics. Those kind of people that would believe in fairies, rainbows and magics. Soon enough, Baekhyun felt warm again once he felt Chanyeol’s presence behind him. He didn’t think twice and immediately hug the giant. Chanyeol, of course, let him and even hug the latter tight as well. The last thing he wants is for his Baekhyun to be sad.

 

Baekhyun shook his head on Chanyeol’s chest. “I didn’t mean it. I didn’t mean to say those things,” Baekhyun sobs.

 

Chanyeol didn’t say anything, he only rub circles on Baekhyun’s back. Silently calming the latter with just his touch. A few minutes has passed until Suho cleared his throat and spoke to no one, “You really shouldn’t have said those words to Luhan, Baekhyun. Luhan is such a sweet boy. And besides, who told you magics and witches aren’t real?”

 

All of them turned their gaze onto Suho. Baekhyun and Lay’s face looking confused. “What are you saying, Suho hyung? Magics are real?” Lay asked.

 

Shrugging, Suho just respond with something that made them puzzled even more. “I didn’t say magics and witches are real for I never encountered one. But I also didn’t say they aren’t real. I’ve read so many books. Met many people and had a lot of sources. I only knew two things. Witches and magic spells can only either balance the earth or can cause the disaster of this world.”

 


 

Next to continue...