Five

Between Wind and Water
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Oh, oh! Let’s go there!” Minhyuk excitedly tugged on her arm, dragging her towards whatever shiny storefront had caught his eye now. Today, Daeun was assigned to accompany him and Kihyun as they carried out their daily routine, which to her seemed like a whole lot of nothing. Of course, they had been busy earlier in the day, running a few errands for the group and trading some borderline suspicious packages for money, which Kihyun immediately pocketed before Minhyuk could, fearing for their finances should the latter be left in charge of their limited monetary resources- apparently, the majority of it was supposed to go back to Shownu, who would use it in the best interest of the Flight, though they would get to keep a small portion of it.

Daeun wasn’t entirely sure how she felt about the whole thing- taking money from “gangs”, handing off things in inconspicuous boxes and bags the boys wouldn’t let her see; they told her that sometimes it was normal things like snacks, movies, and toiletries, gangs not always able to go grocery shopping on their own if they were laying low, and sometimes, they admitted, it was less legal things, like secret notes and messages between allies, large amounts of money, small bags filled with white crystal drugs (they refused to carry weapons though, guns, they did tell her that much). What was in the two tapped up brown paper shopping bags and the small black duffle they had delivered at two different locations that morning, one to a group of people and the other set of bags left waiting for their owners to pick up in yet another empty warehouse, they had been less eager to explain to her. It was fairly easy to get over though- everyone in the city, no matter which side they lived on, knew about what went on around them, they just usually chose not to acknowledge it unless they were directly involved. She was also used to it, in some ways, considering the ‘profession’ of her best friend and the stories he shared with her that he probably shouldn’t have. Besides, it was easy to forget about it all when she had Minhyuk distracting her with each new item he saw that he just had to buy- they didn’t end up buying anything, though Minhyuk did somehow manage to steal a small stuffed white dog from a toy store, which he proceeded to cuddle the rest of the time in the arm that wasn’t holding onto her.

The atmosphere today was completely different from her time spent with HyungwonHo- Minhyuk and Kihyun didn't have a team name, though she did find it extremely interesting that their birthdays were both in the same month, and suggested that as a possible title. Not only was the mood much lighter, Daeun feeling comfortable with the two as she already considered them friends and they both just made it just so easy to be herself, but she felt like she belonged as a part of the trio- she pushed even harder for their team name since her birthday also fell in the month of November, she liked to think it was fate.

Not only was she having fun, but this outing was proving to be a lot more educational and informational than yesterday's- Hyungwon had, eventually after much pestering, explained to her that Lifting meant petty thefts and pickpocketing, which they did end up doing, Daeun walking home that night with a new dark blue banded bracelet courtesy of the tall male and approximately thirty dollars richer thanks to herself (Wonho had given her nothing, the cheapskate), but aside from that there was not much teaching or training going on. Her two current companions had just nodded once she recounted her not so pleasant adventures from the previous day, Kihyun explaining to her that it made perfect sense, since "Hyungwon's best skill is Lifting, it's what he prefers. Wonho, on the other hand, doesn't really do much besides Flush." Flushing, the boys had explained to her, just meant purposefully causing trouble, the scene at the mall being a prime example, but actually one of his less disruptive moments.

She believed it when they told her that Hyungwon was great at stealing and not much else besides running. It wasn't that she didn't believe he couldn't do other things, but that she couldn't see him wanting to do anything else- he made a pretty damn good thief, definitely smooth and slick enough to go pro, and the profession suited his aloof personality, more refined tastes and model like image. He wasn't always a cold detached Ice Prince though; Frosty was a rather cheerfully, warm hearted character after all. Throughout the course of their day together, he had opened up to her considerably more and vice versa, their greatest bonding activity having been tag teaming in a sarcastic, searing verbal assault against Wonho. Their sharp, silver tongues and brutal sense of humor went hand in hand and an unspoken pact between them was made that they'd avoid bad mouthing each other in favor of ganging up on all the others- though knowing the two of them there were of course times when they couldn't help themselves, never ones able to let a good opportunity go as Daeun still made a few comments about his uncanny resemblance to a certain snowman had he only been wearing a top hat and scarf (he had actually stolen an old corncob pipe from the only antique store in the area as a joke, a small secretive smile on his face as he nonchalantly passed her the item when they left the shop, attempting to keep up his cold, distant attitude but failing; she had instantly accepted the silent peace offering with a wide grin and their friendship was solidified from there, Wonho on the other hand hadn't found it nearly as amusing, especially when it meant they had joined forces to pick on him for the rest of the day) and Hyungwon refusing to give up on his not-so-subtle innuendos between his two friends, though in his defense their roundabout flirting was killing him. Even if they both adamantly denied anything was going on, Hyungwon mentally made a bet with himself that they'd get together in the next six months- he would have guessed sooner, but Daeun was stubborn and Wonho was an , so he'd thought he'd play it safe, planning on starting a betting ring later that week after she had been fully initiated into the group. They ended up getting along well, and she found that Hyungwon was a great friend too in his own way, caring- he had given her the bracelet she currently wore on her right wrist and didn't plan to take off so that she could cover her tattoo (he had been a little surprised to see her Mark, though he didn't say anything out loud, just frowned as he realized that there might be a slight problem with his latest OTP), a gesture she greatly appreciated since she still wasn’t completely comfortable with it yet. He was sweet, in a strange, backwards kind of way.

Wonho on the other hand, was far from sweet, and unfortunately their relationship had only improved in the most minimal of ways possible- they had agreed by the end of the day that words were better weapons than fists, though that didn't mean that his arrogant teasing didn't piss her off so much she wanted to punch him in the face. Some of her anger had dissipated though as she adjusted to the boy's obnoxious attitude; while they still didn't get along and she still would stubbornly refer to him as her arch nemesis- she did this once out loud during the day, causing Hyungwon to sputter as he tried not to laugh at her childishness and Wonho just hardcore judging her-, she had come to realize that, although he was a pain in the , he wasn't actually that bad. He wasn't one to take things seriously, including people, danger, or even life itself, and he was a lot more lighthearted and funny than she had originally thought. However, she also couldn't forget the night she first met him in the park, his angry dark eyes and dead serious threatening tone- she had actually been afraid for a moment, and she hardly ever would admit to that. Although she hadn't seen anything similar from him since, she still remembers his quick mood swing and the dark thrill of pleasure she had seen flash in his eyes as he glared down at her, something she had seen glimpses of again in the way he acted, in all the times she watched him "Flush". With all this in mind, her original assessment of him still stood- he was bipolar, probably psycho, and dangerous; that, or he was a really good actor, even better than Hyungwon, and that seemed almost worse to her in some ways.

"Wonho used to be a Heavy," Kihyun had told her in an attempt to justify the older member's hot then cold attitude and reckless behavior that was even too much for Daeun sometimes. "He was a Stray before he joined our Flight. I wouldn't ask him about it though. Besides, he's the second-best Runner in the group after Shownu Hyung, so it all worked out for the best."

Being a Heavy was a step up from being a Runner, which was a step up from being an Artist in the graffiti scene like Minwoo and his crew, a clear ascending order in the danger involved, a clear descending order in the legality of the titles. Though it had never been specified what type of criminal activity he had engaged in, neither Kihyun or Minhyuk knew but they both thought that Shownu must have had an idea, they knew it was bad- Stray was a term they used to label former gang members or traitors after all, neither of which were promising or exactly made her feel better about the guy. It had nothing to do with the stigma placed on gangs and criminals, just that it made her wonder if the deadly individual she had first met was the real Wonho or not, and then what did that make the jerky, annoying yet playful Wonho she had spent the day with yesterday? The others all kept insisting to her that Wonho was a good guy once you actually got to know him, just a bit of loose cannon that didn't like following rules and had a tiny problem with authority, but Daeun wasn't so sure.

Speaking of gangs, she had almost met one that morning when they dropped off the ever-important delivery earlier in the day. While HyungwonHo specialized in theft and causing trouble, Minhyuk and Kihyun's job was usually Out-and-Backs: aka deliveries done to local gangs, quick drop-offs and pickups like an errand delivery service. She didn't get to see much though, since Minhyuk had been covering her like a bodyguard that took his job a little too seriously and literal, and both had refused to let her know what was in the small black duffle bag, so she didn't have a lot of knowledge to go off of when it came to gangs, though TV and a wild imagination gave her plenty of ideas, as did the rumors that spread around the city. It was an interesting experience, one that she didn't entirely mind but also didn't prefer, which was a shame since that was their main duty and pretty much put her back at square one when it came to picking which team she would eventually join within the group. The downtime after the delivery was much appreciated though, and she was having fun despite Minhyuk's constant pulling on her arm.

"Oh!" He stopped dead in his tracks, excited gaze fixated on a certain storefront a few feet away. His brown eyes were shining as if he had just come up with the greatest idea ever. "Can we-"

"No," Kihyun immediately shot him down with a subdued shake of his head. Funnily enough, he was causally sipping on his bubble tea through a straw while staring in the complete opposite direction of Minhyuk's target, which made the latter pout.

"You don't even know what I was going to say."

Kihyun didn't seem to care much for his whining.

"Come on Daeunie, you're not mean like Kihyun. Let's go!" He stuck his tongue out at the back of Kihyun's for now pink head before pulling Daeun along with him right into the hair salon.

"W-wait!"

"Hold up Minhyuk, we don't have enough money for that!"

Two hours later, Minhyuk hopped out happily with his locks colored a beautiful dark red that Daeun thought might just be her new favorite color. As much as she had liked his dark chocolate brown hair, she loved this- blue and pink may be a bit ou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter