Eight

Between Wind and Water
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Wonho liked Hyungwon. Despite his attitude towards his younger partner, he really did like the kid, more so than the others he always hung around that would be considered his “friends” at least. However, just because he liked the Ice Prince a little more than the other idiots, that didn’t mean that he was particularly fond of the guy all that much in general, and he was definitely not going to let him get away with screwing him over like this.

Chae Hyungwon was someone that was his opposite in almost every way, and yet somehow, they still managed to get along just fine and be the best of partners (aside from Minhyuk and Kihyun, who, if you asked him, had an unhealthy level of codependence on each other that they liked to refer to as ‘outstanding teamwork’ and ‘unbreakable friendship’- Minhyuk’s words, not his, for those were two things that Wonho definitely didn’t believe in). In comparison to Wonho, who appeared carefree, cocky, and mischievous, Hyungwon always wore an indifferent mask, his arrogance of a different kind than his partner’s. However, that was all it was- a mask. Wonho wore a mask too, but unlike Hyungwon, who hid the fact that he actually cared with a few sarcastic remarks and harsh words from time to time, the purpose of Wonho’s mask was to hide the fact that he didn’t care, hide his true personality behind a laughing face and friendly playful banter.

There were, of course, similarities between the two as well, or else they couldn’t be compatible as teammates. Both were smart, cunning and mischievous, full of themselves and easily impressed by their own good looks; however, the way these traits manifested themselves in each was an entirely different story. Hyungwon used his cunning to make sarcastic comments and to back up the schemes he concocted due to his mischievous nature, which he only ever used for little things like annoying them all or winning stupid bets he would make with the other idiots- Wonho never knew what these bets entailed, since he had never taken part in them before, deeming them worthless. Wonho used his cunning to get under people’s skin, to intimidate them, to manipulate them, to play the role he had assigned himself so that no one could see beneath his mask, and his mischievousness was of a far less innocent nature, leading him to cause trouble, to instigate, to provoke, to taunt- and that was on good days; on bad days, he went much, much farther than that. Thankfully though, he hadn’t had a bad day in a couple of months; they were much less regular now than they used to be back when he first agreed to form a group with Shownu. Even in the explanation, the similarities are there, uncanny, and yet, somehow, they still seemed astonishingly different.

Hyungwon is kind and shows it in his own subtle way.

Wonho can’t even manage to fake sincerity half the time when he interacts with the others, and he’s pretty sure that after the years they’ve spent together they all know it too.

Hyungwon is a social butterfly wherever he goes, always popular with the ladies- he even manages to get along with Daeun, the incredibly stubborn princess.

Wonho prefers not to be around people, though he can put on a good show and he often does, and he especially can’t stand her royal highness.

Yet somehow, their partnership worked- probably because Hyungwon was just enough of an like him to let Wonho do whatever the hell he wanted, but just enough of an adorable, lovable snowman to not let him get caught or hurt or do something too terribly reckless. However, that was all in the past, because after today, he didn’t think he could forgive that Ice Prince bastard for throwing him under the bus and abandoning him without even a second glance- scratch that, he did look back once, but only to smirk at him with a light in his eyes that had Wonho second guessing if he actually liked the little prick at all.

“I’ll be Jooheon’s partner,” the jerk had smiled slyly, his voice smooth as he spoke with his silver tongue, reminding Wonho an awful lot of a traitorous snake, one that was all too pleased with itself. “I mean, look at him and Daeun- they’re practically fighting like cats and dogs! I’ll take him under my wing and Daeun-ah can partner up with Wonho Hyung instead,” he finished with mock concern and wisdom, exaggerating his great sacrifice and the severity of the situation.

Silence. His proposal had been met with absolute silence- and then loud, unstoppable laughter from the idiot trio, though he could tell that Shownu, that bastard, was trying not to laugh as well, all too amused by his Flight member’s antics. The only ones that didn’t laugh were Daeun, who was just as shocked and horrified at the suggestion as he was, Jooheon, who had no clue what the hell was going on and wasn’t really the type to laugh at many things in general, and Hyungwon, that stupid smug snowball- he really had to stop letting that girl affect him; he was starting to pick up her ridiculous nicknames like the others already had a while ago. He had to admit though, if the situation didn’t involve him, he would have found it amusing like the rest of them, because honestly it was laughable. Daeun and him? Partners? What the hell? The irony of Hyungwon’s statement and false concern was lost on no one, except for their newest addition that had only been an official member of their crew for a day and wasn’t entirely caught up on all the group dynamics yet.

“Besides,” he continued, refusing to shut up despite the obvious clenching of Wonho’s fists by his side that he knew the slick bastard was aware was a warning sign, “we can’t just leave the two rookies alone on their own together- how would they survive the great, big scary world? No matter how good Daeun-ah’s natural talent is, and even if Jooheon’s already got experience as a Runner, doesn’t that seem a bit irresponsible?”

Bull. His tone was mocking and they all knew it. Everyone knew he was acting- the tall wasn’t even trying to hide it or sound serious at all! Yet they were all indulging him; for what reason, Wonho didn’t know, but he knew it wouldn’t be good, it wasn’t for a reason in his favor at least.

“I think that’s a great idea,” Kihyun nodded with the remnants of a smile from his previous laughter. Wonho scoffed inside the secrecy of his own mind- as if anyone asked for his opinion. Kihyun was always like that, always trying to give advice, to look out for the others, especially the younger ones, to be everyone’s responsible, reliable, moral compass. It was boring, it was annoying, and it pissed Wonho off to no end sometimes.

“That’s a terrible idea!” Minhyuk protested, much too loudly and with more energy than was necessary in any situation. He looked truly appalled at the idea once he got over the hilarity of it, realizing that they were serious and it wasn’t just a joke. For once, Wonho appreciated the hyperactive mutt, even if it was only a temporary, brief, miniscule amount.

Minhyuk wasn’t so bad, and Wonho could usually tolerate him most of the time, but there were other times when he wanted to push the clingy, nosy chatterbox off the edge of a building when they went out on group runs. He was too animated for Wonho’s taste, too friendly. Though he would admit that he did like the edge the younger boy had- he could be dangerous when he wanted to be, downright brutal to the point where Wonho was even kind of impressed by him, though it was rare, and he kept that side of him hidden just the same and just as well as Wonho did.

“I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad idea,” Shownu hummed, arms folded casually across his chest in a relaxed manner and that stupid closed eyed smile on his face that Wonho hated oh so much. He swore, that black haired bastard was doing this on purpose, knowing how much his actions pissed him off- some logical leader he was; he was enjoying this just as much as the other idiots! “Let’s ask Jooheon. Since he’s new, he should probably pick who he wants to go with and he can do all his training with them,” he proposed, ignoring Daeun’s sputtering, angry protests.

Their numbers were a perfectly even eight now and so the subject of pairs had sprung up when showing Jooheon around the Safe House that would become his new home. Naturally, they had all assumed that the newbie would be paired with Daeun, who would finally have a set partner and team of her own, who could then teach him everything she had learned; even if she was still a little inexperienced, they trusted her to do that much, for she was talented like Hyungwon had said- besides, as a Bandit, the kid probably wouldn’t even need to be taught that much. It made the most sense, seeing as it wouldn’t waste the time of the others and it would add another fully functional team of Runners to their Flock. Apparently though, Hyungwon had other ideas.

“Anyone’s got to be better than Nam,” the curly haired boy scoffed with a smirk that sent the girl raging.

“Hey!”

In any other situation, Wonho probably would have liked the kid. Not really liked him, but liked him like he liked Hyungwon- used to like Hyungwon. Plus, the boy had lived on the streets, got into trouble, been shot; he was probably the person most capable of relating to Wonho through his personality and experiences, with the exception of Shownu, who Wonho wished understood him a lot less than he actually did.

“Then it’s settled.”

“But-“

“Finally,” Hyungwon clapped his hands together once, “that stupid team name ‘Hyungwonho’ is dead.” And that was when he looked at Wonho with that look in his eyes that was all too familiar to the male, having seen it in his own eyes, in his own reflection more times than he could count. It was a look that said “check mate”, a look that said he had been trapped, played, a look that said an evil plan had just been successfully carried out and he was enjoying all the pain and suffering that would come from this point onward.

“Of course,” Hyungwon slide his gaze from Wonho over to Daeun and back, “that’s just a bonus. The real reason I’m so pleased,” he grinned, and to Wonho it looked like the devil- and he should know, considering all of the crap he’s seen and the he’s done himself-, “is because this means you two can finally go out on a date together. The was killing me.”

Kihyun snickers and Daeun nearly screams in frustration as his former partner delivers the final crushing blow with a teasing tilt of his head and a dismissive wave of his hands.

“Now go on; I hear that one ice cream shop is giving discounts to couples this week. I’m sure the two of you make a cute enough pair to pass inspection.”

Maybe Wonho’s had it wrong all these years. Maybe Hyungwon and him have a lot more in common than he originally thought, because this could only be described as sadistic.

 

···Ä···

 

“I hate you.”

That had to have been the fifth time she had said that sentence in just the last hour alone- and yet, it only seemed to sound truer the more she said it.

“Yeah? Well the feeling is mutual, Princess,” Wonho scoffed back without missing a beat- at least this time he refrained from cursing in his reply.

To say their new ‘partnership’ was off to a rocky start would be the biggest understatement in history. They fought over stupid stuff every three minutes, resorted to shoving and tripping each other every ten, and then there was also all the time they spent running from the police and then arguing with each other about it immediately afterwards. Daeun knew that Wonho liked to cause trouble and that Flushing was pretty much all he was good for- after all, she had been on multiple runs with him and Hyungwon before and so she knew these things from experience-, but she couldn’t help but feel as if he was acting up more than usual today, like a little kid throwing a tantrum.

“If you’re acting out because you want attention, all you have to do is ask,” she had for his childish behavior. The smirk that spread on h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter