part one

The way we love

(Hopefully not too boring .__. will post more soon... the entire fic is written already^^;)

 

When Minho started university, he discovered it was very different from high school and that made him feel relieved. Minho no longer had to deal with a bunch of fake people, or pretend to care about things like girls or how hot some classmate supposedly was. Minho also relished the fact that he no longer had to fit some narrow ideal, instead at university he could simply be himself. It was both refreshing and relaxing.

 

Before he started university he assumed it would be the same as school, gangs of bullies who harassed other students; popular students who seemed to be almost idolised. It was things like that which had driven Minho mad during high school, he hated the way people behaved and tried so hard to be popular. However at university, he realised there were too many students for any one particular student to stick out and be super popular. That said Minho realised that within smaller groups of students there would be a few popular students, and the same shallow fake people he had seen all through school. The difference was that here Minho was anonymous, no one knew him, and out of all the students no one cared who he was or wasn’t.

 

Minho loved the freedom and being able to concentrate on what he cared about, or rather that was the plan, until his stupid heart got in the way, and everything seemed to change. Sometimes Minho just wanted to take back his heart, end his silly crush and just not like anyone. But at the same time Minho was stubborn and determined not to lose (what was losing? A foreign concept to Minho), he wanted his crush to like him back. Minho liked having something to chase after, something tangible. It wasn’t just another soccer match or good grades he was fighting for but to win someone else’s heart. And for the first time, Minho realised he was going to have to work a lot harder to win the one thing he truly wanted.

 

ΞΘΞ

 

Minho trudged back to his dorm room, head down and his glasses perched firmly on the end of his nose. Minho held back his sigh as he walked down the silent and empty corridor, it was a Saturday night and everyone else in the dorm was out partying. Minho however, liked having the dorm to himself, he didn’t mind the fact that everyone in the rooms nearby whispered about him behind his back, “oh my god that kid he never goes out drinking,” “did you see that Minho? He was on the soccer field all day practicing, how pathetic!” “Does he have a life outside of sports? I’ve only seen him care about sports, I bet he’s aual”. Minho just didn’t see the point in partying - he preferred to look after his body and be healthy. Minho unlocked the door, pushing it open and letting another sigh out when the door clicked shut behind him.

 

Tonight, however Minho didn’t appreciate the empty dorm, the silence, instead he wished his roommate was there, or his boisterous neighbours. Minho dumped his bag down on the floor, the soccer ball sliding out and rolling over towards the desk in front of the window. Pinching his eyes shut, Minho flopped down onto his bed trying to push the image out of his head. Minho had heard all the rumours, but he had scoffed not believing any of them, until tonight. Now Minho wished he had taken up the offer his soccer coach had offered him at the start of the year, to transfer to another school. Anything to get away from this university, anything to get away from Lee Jinki, even if that really was the last thing Minho wanted.

 

It all started three years earlier, when Minho was in his last year of high school. Minho was visiting prospective universities with his classmates. The first year student guiding them around was a dark haired boy, shorter than Minho and he looked younger too. But for Minho, nothing had registered in his head; instead he had taken one look at the boy standing at the top of the stairs, smiling warmly down at him. Minho had felt as if the world had stopped, frozen in frame; that smile and the warm brown eyes shone so brightly to him.

 

It had been a rapid slide downhill ever since. Sure Jinki was good looking, but the way he talked and was so knowledgeable about the campus, he had Minho hanging on every word. Jinki didn’t seem like a stupid but cute guy like the people in his high school, or a show off, but he spoke confidently and calmly. Somehow Minho found it even more attractive when he almost slipped over and then just got up with a soft laugh.

 

None of it made any sense to Minho, how he could fall for someone that easily. But no matter what he did, he couldn’t get the boy out of his head. When Minho had talked about it with his friends Jonghyun and Taemin they had scoffed and laughed at him, telling him he was ridiculous. Minho knew he was, but even for those six months that he didn’t even see Lee Jinki, he was still in his thoughts. Minho woke up to Jinki’s smile, and that velvety voice in his head.

 

It had felt like fate to Minho too when the first lecture he had at university, Jinki was there too. Sitting across the aisle from Minho, with his hair longer and bleached honey blonde, he had looked like an angel. Minho spent the whole first lecture studying Jinki instead of listening, not even noticing when class ended. Minho had pushed his glasses up his nose, blinking when he realised the lecture hall was empty except for him and Jinki. Shyly Minho had looked around, hearing laughter, and he saw a few students leaving. Minho turned back to his books only to find Jinki beaming across at him, before he bowed his head in silent greeting and left.

 

Minho couldn’t breathe, Minho couldn’t do anything but stare soundless as Jinki left with a casual wave of his hand. Minho gulped softly, and then he slowly rose up, wondering how one person could reduce him into this hopeless case. He had been the soccer captain at high school, well respected, but Lee Jinki only needed to smile and Minho couldn’t even function. Luckily that hadn’t lasted long, because a month later they had been forced to work on a project and so Minho had to get over his inability to function pretty quickly.

 

But even now they were not even friends, just acquaintances who knew each other’s names. Despite the lengths Minho had gone to trying to be friends with Jinki. The problem was that while Jinki was friendly with everyone, he only had a couple of real friends and he didn’t admit people into that exclusive group easily. It wasn’t that Jinki cared that he was popular with some students, he was just reserved and slightly oblivious which Minho respected and understood. It was endearing in a way, Minho could still remember the time when someone asked Jinki if he wanted to have lunch with them. Jinki had somehow missed the point, and blinked owlishly before muttering that he had brought his own lunch and didn’t need anyone to pay for him. Jinki had walked off, leaving the bewildered student staring almost sadly at Jinki’s retreating back. Minho thought it was adorable, how Jinki had completely misunderstood. Minho also liked the fact that Jinki did treat everyone the same, and how despite his intelligence he never looked down on anyone.

 

Jinki, also like Minho, never went to parties and it seemed as if he never dated. Whenever Minho asked anyone who knew Jinki, if he went on dates or had a girlfriend (or boyfriend) the answer was always no. It frustrated Minho not even knowing if Jinki was straight or gay, and after two years he desperately wanted to get closer to him. Somehow Minho knew he had to penetrate Jinki’s obliviousness and make him see Minho. Minho was pretty sure all of Jinki’s friends knew about his ridiculous crush, he had been dropping the biggest hints ever. On one level Minho was sure Jinki was straight, and that it was probably hopeless but Minho wasn’t the kind of guy to quit or give up. If anything it made him want to work harder, even if he knew Jinki wasn’t interested in him. in a deep breath, Minho tried to ignore the pain in his chest, he knew it was hopeless but he couldn’t just give up. Not even after what had just happened, when Minho had felt the first crack in his heart.

 

”Hey Jinki-ssi, are you doing anything tonight?” Minho fiddled with the ball in his hands, biting his lip as he looked across at the gorgeous boy in front of him. “I thought, um, we could go and eat dinner together if you’re free.” Minho mentally high fived, finally he had got the words out, finally he had asked Jinki out on a sort of date. Shyly Minho pushed his glasses back on his nose, biting his lip, the thudding of his heart as loud as kicking a soccer ball. It was ridiculous how being around Jinki made Minho feel so insecure and unsure of himself.

 

“Sorry Minho-ya,” Jinki smiled across at Minho, “I’m busy tonight, I’m usually free but tonight there is something on.” Jinki smiled, and for the first time Minho could see how excited Jinki was by the way he bounced on his feet lightly, eyes lit up brightly. Minho frowned slightly, wondering what it was as Jinki fidgeted, almost slipping over as he continued to bounce on the balls of his feet. Minho gulped, realising that Jinki’s nervousness had nothing to do with him, he had hoped that maybe he made Jinki as nervous as he felt. But of course Jinki had plans, letting out a soft breath, Minho nodded his head slowly, he should’ve known Jinki would turn him down.

 

“Oppa! Oppa!”

 

Minho froze, wondering who was calling out ‘oppa’, with a slight frown he turned, gasping when he saw the tall girl, with long slightly wavy brown hair. Her large round eyes were bright, and Minho felt the air out of his lungs as the girl latched onto Jinki’s arm, who laughed shyly, glancing down at the grass nervously and in the fading light Minho could see Jinki’s cheeks turning red. Minho couldn’t breathe, the air stolen from his body as he watched Jinki slip his arm around her, touching her back gently before pulling away again. The girl however, grabbed onto Jinki’s arm, tugging it around her waist. Minho felt as if he couldn’t breathe as he watched them walk away.

 

“See ya Minho,” Jinki called back, not even turning back to look at him. Minho’s large eyes watched, as Jinki and the girl, Yui, left. Minho dropped the soccer ball, letting it slip onto the field before him, eyes locked on how Jinki’s arm rested around her waist. Minho felt so stupid, to believe the rumours that Jinki never dated, not when he saw him walking away with that girl, that girl in the shorts that barely covered her . Jinki’s friends had probably lied to Minho, knowing that he would be upset to hear about Jinki having a girlfriend.

 

Minho felt like the biggest idiot in the world, he had thought Jinki was excited to see him. That Jinki was as happy as Minho felt when he spied him on the soccer field. But all along, he was waiting for her. Minho touched his chest painfully, he was hopeless and ridiculous. Minho needed to get over Lee Jinki, but his stupid, stubborn heart refused to let him. Somehow or another, Minho wasn’t going to give up until Jinki out right rejected him.

 

ΞΘΞ

 

“Hey, you lazy get up,” Sungjong chirped brightly next to Minho’s ear, his high voice irritating the hell out of Minho, who just grumbled and rolled over. “Oh god come on Minho, we’re gonna be late if you keep on sleeping.” Sungjong poked Minho in the chest, but Minho ignored him. He was exhausted after lying awake half of the night imagining Jinki and her together. Minho groaned again, wishing he could ignore Jonghyun’s advice that he needed to get laid, maybe he did. But Minho wasn’t interested in sleeping with some semi drunk guy, and it wasn’t as if he had any people interested in him. The glasses that Minho wore seemed to keep people away, which was what Minho wanted, or had initially.

 

“Lee Jinki-ssi is here to see you,” Sungjong half sang, and instantly Minho sat up, glancing around the room hopefully. Sungjong grinned victoriously, shifting back before Minho could hit him. Minho groaned and glared across at his roommate, “What? It works every time, you are so ing predictable,” Sungjong shrugged, laughing slightly as he sat back on the side of his bed. Minho wanted to kill Sungjong, it was embarrassing how often he fell for that.

 

“Yeah, yeah,” Minho sighed heavily, rubbing his eyes sleepily, “Sungjonggie, I need to get over Jinki.” Minho pouted across at his roommate, his eyes looked so sad that Sungjong almost choked. It was the first time Minho had even suggested giving up, which stunned the younger boy, because Minho didn’t give up. Sungjong slid of his bed, slipping onto Minho’s bed. Before Minho could protest, Sungjong burrowed under his covers, sitting next to Minho and leaning back against the head board, his thigh flush against Minho’s.

 

“Sungjonggie, what the hell?” Minho shifted over, blinking as he tried to shift away from Sungjong in the single bed. He couldn’t understand why his roommate was suddenly sitting in bed with him, “Sungjong?” Minho repeated, frowning as Sungjong’s face leaned in closer, studying Minho’s face carefully. A sudden cough made them both look up, and Minho froze as he saw Jinki standing in the door way casually. Minho didn’t even think Jinki knew which room he lived in, or that he even cared. Minho gulped, turning to glare at Sungjong, but the younger male just grinned and threw his arm around Minho’s waist, snuggling in close to him.

 

“Ew,” Jonghyun frowned across at Minho and Sungjong, “guys can you do that after we’ve left?” Jonghyun shuddered slightly, laughing as he turned to Jinki again. Minho glared and went to push Sungjong off his bed, but then he heard Jinki’s soft laughter and Minho turned suddenly wondering why Jinki was even in his doorway. It was unusual for Jinki to come looking for him, and Minho felt something like hope filling his insides.

 

“Um, hyung, what’s going on?” Sungjong finally got up, standing between the beds as he looked across at Jonghyun, because he didn’t know Jinki personally. “It’s still pretty early for you guys to be here.” Sungjong smiled shyly across at Jinki, who smiled back warmly.

 

“Oh sorry, but Jinki-hyung wanted to tell Minho something,” Jonghyun shrugged his shoulders, “He didn’t know where his room was.” Jonghyun explained, winking across at Minho, who sat stiffly, before Minho realised he was only in his boxers. Minho started to tug the sheet up, but then, he stopped, hands shifting around the sheet awkwardly. Taking a deep breath, Minho looked over to where Jinki stood, internally groaning as he realised his hair was probably a mess, because clearly, no one would find him attractive when he was sitting shirtless in bed.

 

“Yeah sorry Minho-ya, I forgot to ask you last night,” Jinki scratched his head looking apologetic, and Minho felt his heart race as he heard those words. Jinki looked so good, smiling across at him, and Minho forgot everything, suddenly he thought maybe Jinki was going to say yes to dinner. “Hey I was wondering if you had a partner yet for that assignment? If not, do you want to do it with me?” Jinki shifted from one foot to the other, biting his lip so hard that all Minho could think about was kissing Jinki and tugging that lower lip into his mouth.

 

Yes hyung, I want to do it with you. Who wouldn’t want to do it with you, hyung. Minho swallowed, flushing slightly, when he realised that Jinki’s words were in fact innocent. Quickly he nodded his head, looking down at the bedding shyly. When he risked a look up, Jinki was beaming happily across at him, and Minho was dancing on the inside. Lee Jinki wants to do his project with me! He wants to work with me!

 

“Ah okay good. I’ll talk to you in class about it.  Sorry ah for disturbing your sleep.” Jinki nodded his head once, smiling again briefly before starting to leave. Minho, decided it would be a good time to get out of bed, anything to stop Jinki from leaving. Minho started to rise, and in his excitement he fell, landing face down on the floor, and when he looked up, Jinki was blinking down at him, surprise and confusion across his face, as if he was thinking that he was the one who usually slipped.

 

Minho wished right then and there that the world would end. A nuclear bomb would explode above the campus and just end his pathetic, miserable, awkward existence. Minho groaned and squeezed his eyes shut, and Jinki left to the roaring laughter of Jonghyun and Sungjong. Minho glared at them both, wishing that they’d be poisoned and die a horrible, slow and pain filled death.

 

“Hyung, that was pathetic,” Sungjong giggled once Jonghyun had left, “It was going so well. You were looking all y and shirtless in bed,” Sungjong sighed waving one hand tragically, “And then you tried to get up and fell. What kind of an athlete are you?” Sungjong tsk-ed and shook his head slowly.

 

“Oh, and you act any different around Myungsoo?” Minho snapped back, glaring until he saw the way Sungjong paled and then turned a horrible shade of red, suddenly going silent. “Ha, got you.” Minho smirked, pumping his fist in the air as he slowly pulled his clothes out of his closet. Minho figured he had time for a run before his first class, so he might as well go and work Jinki out of his thoughts for at least a little while.