Chapter 7

Of Wolves Witches and Vampires

Lisa tried to slip between the cramped crowds that began to gather at the town square. A grand gigantic statue depicting four praying angels tower over a surrounding fountain, lifted on a stone platform. ‘Oi, be careful! You’re going to poke someone’s eye out!’ Lisa heard a man  cry out at her. She turned to him, then bow a little as an apology before she unstrapped her bow from her back to hold it. More people began pushing and filling up the area.

‘It has been announced!’ the town crier was standing next to a group of boys. Lisa perched her head, trying to get a good view but she was stuck a distance from the platform and to the side as well.

‘Tsk,’ she tried to get a better spot from the front, but gave up and just stood, trying to hear the crier’s voice amidst the chatter of the townspeople, crossing her arms.

‘The Queen is further enforcing the decree; the banning of all non-humanoid creatures of this land!’ Lisa’s eyes barely wavered; it was all the Queen had been working on ever since she came to the throne. ‘The citizens of Mount Rye are obligated to the Crown, and thus are obligated towards the word of Her Majesty. Should anyone find or know of any of these damned creatures, they are required to, by any means bring them to the Knights’ Department. Rewards are guaranteed.’

Lisa’s eyes widened.

‘No wonder,’ she muttered under her breath. She thought it was rather odd when the professor announced that both Kris and Krystal had gone for a long trip to see their mother in a faraway land. It was too sudden, and Lisa knew nothing. Maybe they found out about this already?

‘Didn’t the Queen just return from Hufeirat?’ Lisa heard some woman talk behind her.

‘Perhaps the Temple issued another order.’ Came a reply.

Lisa crossed her arms. Rewards, huh? She smirked.

‘Who are those kids?’ someone asked. There was a group of three young adolescents who seemed to be standing on side behind the crier. They were all wearing padded outfits, two of them were wearing masks, another one had a hat on; and despite the cold, there was one of them who donned a sleeveless body-hugging turtleneck. The group of seven emitted a dark aura about them; or rather, a look of superiority about them that bothered not the townspeople of Mount Rye.

Lisa ran her hand through her blowing blonde hair. People were beginning to clear the area, retreating to the warmth of their homes. The group of boys who were on the platform jumped down effortlessly. One of them turned his head and caught Lisa’s eye.

She rolled her eyes.

It was them.

They did not have a name, but were recognized by most to be apprentices of the Temple Knights.

Three boys, the youngest being Lisa’s age, were all sons raised in aristocratic families who strongly sided with the Queen and got involved in her cause to spread the teachings of the Temple. Lisa always thought they would be better off training to be priests so that they would learn to humble themselves in front of the Holy Entity, but like any other youth roaming the lands of Mount Rye, they loved fighting.

And so they took up the passion of challenging their peers, during their early days, and that was until they formed their own group. Lisa always saw them in one of the mini training arenas, battling against someone who was equally competent. Perhaps it was irritating that they never bullied anyone, but Lisa could see that it was all for show, and she was sur everyone else did. But like everyone else, nobody cared either. When the Queen first reinforced the ban against non-humans, they took the initiative to go to houses of residents they knew to be non-humans, forcing out their own schoolmates and friends.

Their fathers noticed their enthusiasm, and had them enrol for training to become a member of a special force under the Knights’ Department that specializes in enforcing Temple-related laws. Lisa would never forget how arrogant and cockier they looked, and how they called themselves the “Scouts”. Scouts, because they wished to scout every criminal there was and bring them to justice.

The boys walked towards the other direction, passing her from a distance. The very air about them itself felt chilling, unwelcoming. Lisa headed towards the Palace. She did not come from a family of aristocrats, unlike them. But economically they were well off, which she was grateful for. She found it rather unsettling should she ever be born into a world of politics – she has seen some of her peers, how they suffer because of their own parents. It was a dangerous world Lisa dare not step in.

Lisa’s father was gifted generously by the Queen to reside in one of her royal apartments, a guarded area just outside the Palace. That way, although they would not get caught in all the political errands, her father would still be near enough to the Queen to answer to her calls.

When she arrived home, she found her mother lying in bed. She had a weary look about her. Her eyes seemed to droop more than they should. Lisa approached her mother’s bed. Her aunt was sitting by the bedside on a stool. ‘Is she sick?’ Lisa asked.

‘God, no.’ she answered. ‘She was up until a few hours ago brewing,’

Lisa nodded. They heard a sigh from her mother’s mouth and simultaneously turned to her. Her eyes fluttered open. ‘Lisa,’ she called out, smiling. ‘Did you just get back?’ she reached out her hand and Lisa took it. Her fingers felt worn out.

‘Yes, mother.’ She answered. ‘Are you alright?’

‘Quite,’ she said. ‘Just sleepy,’

‘You won’t attend the dinner tonight then?’ Lisa assumed, referring to a formal dinner event the Queen was holding regarding new law policies. Her parents had been invited along.

‘I’d rather not listen to the news twice,’

‘Does Father know?’

‘No, but he’s not expecting me to come. You can attend in my place if you’d like,’

‘Me?’ Lisa felt overwhelmed. The thought of being seated among important political figures, kins of the King and Queen and other aristocrats did not seem fascinating in the slightest. There was a slight fear to the image too.

‘If you’d like. Of course, it won’t be the most pleasant function to attend, but they do serve good food.’ Her mother said with a slight hint of sarcasm. Lisa doubted she would be able to eat at all if she was to attend. But her father would probably appreciate the support. After all, he was alone in the court, and at this critical of a time.

‘I’ll go,’ Lisa decided.

‘Then later you can go find your father,’ she looked at her sister.

‘I’ll take care of it. Go back to sleep,’ Lisa’s aunt patted the thick fur blanket that enveloped her body. Lisa’s mother obliged and watched the two as they walked out before returning to her deep slumber.

‘Do I have to wear a party dress?’ Lisa whispered as her aunt closed the door to her mother’s bedchamber.

‘Well not exactly a party dress,’ she explained. ‘But a dress-‘

‘Ma’am?’ one of their servants crept up behind Lisa’s aunt. ‘Pardon me for interrupting, but there’s a group of boys at the door,’

Both of the women had confused looks but followed the servant to the door anyway. Lisa had a raging spirit about her and walked in a fast pace to the main foyer downstairs. She had a reasonable excuse to feel so, for the very people whom she saw at the town square earlier were standing in her house.

‘Stay here,’ her aunt ordered.

‘But-‘

‘Stay, go to your mother.’ She insisted. Lisa relented, but stood hidden by the stairway, sneaking a view of what was about to happen. Her aunt walked with composure down.

‘Ma’am, may I introduce you apprentices under the Temple Knights.’ The head of the servant began.

The seven of them made a respectful curtsey.

‘Ah, of course.’ Lisa’s aunt was composed, but showed no enthusiasm and sounded less than impressed at the boys. ‘What bring the likes of you here?’

One of them, whom Lisa recognized to be named Yoongi stepped forward. ‘The Queen has issued a stricter patrol on her people. We are to check every home to ensure no non-humans are hiding.’

‘When did she issue this?’ Lisa’s aunt crossed her arms.

‘It will be announced to the court tonight, and officially announced to the public tomorrow morning.’

‘Then, until then you do not have the right to carry out such searches.’

‘I beg your pardon-‘

‘Mind you, you are merely apprentices, and unless you have a certified proof that you are given the authority to carry out these searches, I shall not let you in.’ she sternly said. ‘You do know who this residence belongs to, do you not?’

The boys exchanged searches. ‘Ma’am, we do not let those of upper class get away from the law.’

‘Of course you don’t, but the lot of you are sons to men of the court. Closely acquainted to the His Highness. Why do you think you were granted the privilege to be Knight “apprentices”? Without any single examination?’

‘We are very much capable,’ one of them, the youngest spoke up, clearly provoked by her tone of indifference.

‘Politically, of course. And you would be fools not to understand how that works, so if you would please. The mistress of this house is unwell right now. I will not have you search about this house like a pack of hounds,’ she raised her voice, startling the group. They exchanged looks with each other.

‘Forgive us,’ one of them, who had orange hair and deep voice bowed his head. ‘We did not mean to offend you in any way.’

The rest reluctantly followed suit. The head servant showed the boys their way out. ‘That old hag,’ Jungkook stomped off. ‘We’ll show her who we are,’

‘Don’t worry. We’ll get a warranty. Who does she think she is anyway?’ Yoongi snorted.

‘The head executioner,’ Taehyung shot a look at Yoongi, who stopped in his tracks.

‘Why does he live here?’

Taehyung merely shrugged. ‘The privacy I guess,’ he answered. He pulled his mask over his mouth and nose.

‘Let’s just go. The dinner is about to start in a few hours. My mother’s going to make a big fuss if I don’t get home,’

Lisa quietly watched them scurry towards Complex Royale from the windows in her room. ‘Zealous bastards,’ she hissed.

‘Miss, would you like me to prepare a bath for you now?’

‘Yes, please. Thank you,’ Lisa snapped out of her anger. She had to hand it to her aunt for handling the situation so swiftly. She knew if they decided to do anything to them, they could probably get away with it, but as confident as they were, they were still young and they were no strangers to fear. ‘Bounty hunting, huh?’ she gave it a thought.

 

*

‘Lalice!’ Lisa was startled by a loud call as she was making her way through the main courtyard towards the palace building. The sight of her father walking towards her from the grass area eased her heart and she quickened her pace and gave him a hug as greetings. ‘How’s your mother?’

‘Tired,’ she informed. He merely nodded. An arm around her, he walked with her relaxingly. ‘You look tired too,’

‘I’ve been summoned to meetings all day,’

‘Is it true?’

‘What have you heard?’ he quietened his voice.

‘They announced something about stricter laws at the town square. The Protector’s son and his friends looked like they were up to something.’ They were even more wary now that they ahd entered the building.

‘Ah, those rascals.’

‘They even came to our home,’ Lisa told him.

‘What for?’

‘They were trying to find illegal residents. But auntie sent them away,’ she shrugged. ‘What’s going to happen tonight anyway?’

‘Nothing. The Queen just wants to celebrate converting to the New Religion,’

‘What’s in her mind?’

‘An alliance with the Temple,’ they made a turn into the banquet hall, where two guards permitted them entrance. Lisa almost startled at the hugeness of the room. Made of hard, white bricks, the hall seemed to glow a holy light. Large banners hung on opposite sides of the wall, bearing the royal family’s emblem in red and yellow. Numerous long tables were neatly lined, its top filled all sorts of delicacies from game to desserts. There were hundreds of courtiers seated and chattering amongst each other. ‘Come,’ Lisa’s father led her to a table set near the front, closest to the King and Queen’s seat.

The royal couple were not present yet, though, which was a relief, because Lisa felt overwhelmed enough standing among important people of the kingdom. Lisa sat down next to her father, looking around her. Some people greeted her father along the way but besides that, no one seemed to notice them that much.

Except a boy who sat on the opposite side of the table, a distance away from the father and daughter. This was the first time Taehyung saw Lisa at a royal function, and the first time he saw her dressed formally. He had made it a task to recognize every single courtier who serves the Queen, and try his best to interact with them. Network was important, his father always said. It was how he got to where he was now. She seemed uneasy in her seat; typical for a new guest. But Taehyung was sensing that there was another reason behind her stiff smile.

The Queen and her husband then made her entrance, and the hall became quiet with respect (or fear). She made a small speech, asked that the people of the court enjoy and drink to their hearts’ content, for they were ‘blessed by the Holy Entity’. She then made her way to her seat, looking rather cheerful than usual, and the hall erupted in excitement and music. The two royals sat at a smaller table with her closest advisors, and from a distance they seemed to be laughing at jokes.

Lisa wondered if she really was the woman who said “No mercy shall be granted for those who are damned, not by the Holy Entity and not by us.”

‘I’m going to take a walk,’ Lisa excused herself and got up from her seat. The noise and the crowd was just too overwhelming she could not wait to return home and be in the comfort of solitude.

She huddled her black fur scarf around her body and headed out into the dim corridor, where there were fewer people. She leaned against a wall and let out a frustrated sigh. Just then she noticed a familiar face pass the area.

‘Kyungsoo!’ she called. The man turned around, looking rather surprised.

‘Lisa,’ he smiled.

‘What are you doing here?’ she asked.

‘Sending cakes,’

‘Oh yes, of course.’ She clasped her lips. ‘Where’s Krystal? I haven’t seen her in school for days,’

‘She didn’t tell you?’

Lisa put up a confused face, and shook her head.

‘Krystal and Kris are going back to their mother.’

‘Where?’

‘Er-‘ Kyungsoo stuttered. ‘Leflores,’ he replied quickly, relieved he did not answer with non-Allied kingdom. That would have triggered suspicion.

‘Oh, I see. She won’t be here for a long while then?’

‘It was very sudden I know. But the mother’s sick and they couldn’t wait.’

‘Of course.’ Lisa nodded. ‘Thank you then. You must be heading off, aren’t you?’

‘I’ll see you around,’ he left, looking as if he was in a rush. Lisa eyed him closely. Strange, she could not help feeling. A terrible liar, Lisa smiled.

Maybe it was time she leave town to find out what was going on.