Chapter 10

Of Wolves Witches and Vampires

Scarlet tongue and scarlet eyes

Scarlet paint drawn for a price

The nightmares of mortal children alike

Stay hidden within the terrors of night

 

 

 

 

Silence.

It was a skill; a skill that makes a good assassin. To be able to observe, listen, analyze and act without the notice of anyone else.

Awareness was another.

To know when danger was breathing next to you, when it would strike, and where.

The pine forest beyond the walls of San Guise was alive with green, blooming plants and trees that grew strong and tall, and in between a plethora of creatures of various sizes and shapes, prowling, flying and crawling everywhere during the blissful warm season. It was not a silent forest, with the chirping of birds and rustling noises from land creatures that ran around, wary of its enemies.

On one particular large tree, heavy with pine leaves, a boy sat on a branch, dangling one of his long legs off it. He watched a small fox hurry from one of the bushes, crossing a laid out path towards another hiding place. He felt the wind blow slightly, then smiled curiously.

He loved his heightened senses; his species were born superior than most sense-wise, for even amongst the buzzing of animals and swaying of trees he could still hear the presence of a part approaching from half a kilometer away. The boy sharpened his well-made hearing.

He recognized the footsteps of one, and calculated a total of six others, plus two horses. The gallops were unmistakable. The nearer they got, the clearer their voices were to his ear. He constructed a conversation from the sounds he heard.

Half a kilometer away, the party was walking at a casual pace, trying their best to dry off themselves as they walked. ‘They always told us scary things about vampires,’ Krystal told the lot. Lisa snickered amusingly.

‘They would hunt down s and then the blood out of them till they were dry,’ she said. ‘I always thought that was just a way for the Temple to sell their pendants so that they could raise money to build a big altar,’

‘Did they have stories about us?’ Zhitao asked.

‘The ones I have heard were about vampires and witches. They said that witches were slaves of the Devil who would seek out to curse people’s lives. That’s why witches had to be burnt. To “send” them back to where they belong,’ Krystal grinned to herself, thinking of how foolish it sounded. ‘They really are a cruel kind,’

‘Fear does that,’ Baekhyun shook his head. ‘It’s funny, isn’t it? The more scared you are the more violent you become,’

‘Very violent,’ Kris made a remark. He did not look at Krystal but could feel the same heaviness in his heart as he took each step forward. His feet were heavy too, and not from the water that had soaked his pants. He was worried for Kyungsoo. All that news Lisa brought, and the fact she herself was with them now not to get away from home and to bring them a grave warning could not be a hoax. There has always been talk about war. Everybody knew of it. The Temple was just waiting to have enough funds and power in their grasp to be able to “cleanse” everywhere of Abnormals.

I’ll follow soon. That could not be a good sign either. Mount Rye had been Kyungsoo’s home for a very long time. He chose to stay even when the banning began. Times were beginning to be far too dangerous for sentiments anymore. Those who are at risk of violent proceedings now could only think to survive.

He’ll be fine, Kris tried to reassure Krystal, but he could not deny the fear in his heart, nor could he comfort hers.

‘So, are you lot close to any vampires?’ Lisa directed the question to the boys. ‘There’s a myth that vampires came from wolves, so naturally the two kinds can communicate well between each other.’

‘Well, we are allies.’ Baekhyun answered. ‘But that myths also says dogs don’t like vampires, which is not true.’

‘Where are you from?’ Yixing asked Lisa.

‘We’ve been in Mount Rye for as long as I can remember,’ Lisa narrated. ‘We get most of our supplies directly from Verlysle, but besides that-‘ she shook her head. ‘-I do know I have relatives everywhere, but that is as far as I know. Some of us used to live at Leflores, like your kind.’ She turned to Baekhyun. ‘But most did not make it out,’ her voice was tinted with grief.

‘I’m sorry to hear that,’ Yixing offered. None of them recalls seeing falcon animaguses at Terra Nymphet at all, and that amplified the truth to Lisa’s words.

‘It’s fine. We are trying to do a good deed for our people. It’s worth risking our own lives,’

Krystal was awfully quiet. Listening to Lisa’s story countered her initial impression that she had built of Lisa the past years; cold, uncaring, intolerant. She was always alone and never seemed to be involved with business of anyone except her family. She maintained the weight of her hierarchal status among her equal peers, and with everyone else. She was not arrogant, but her upbringing was obvious and without her fancy clothes, one could not help but respect her for who she was in person.

Now she was listening to her true motives; her family’s hidden agenda behind the anti-Abnormals flags that they wore in public. Was there doubt? Of course there was, but Krystal was not about to keep the chance she thought Lisa deserved from her. Still, inside she could not deny that she needed to witness more than just Lisa’s ability to turn into a bird.

‘Guys.’ Lisa stopped in her tracks. The boys followed suit, and Yixing transformed. He raised his wolf head to the air, his nose twitching fast as he took the scent of their surroundings.

‘Are there vampires?’ Krystal did not sound the least too pleasant at the thought, subconsciously hiding behind her brother.

‘A friend.’ Kai stepped boldly forward, as if knowing what was about to come. He trailed his eyes across the opening of the sky and the line of trees that decorated it. He then lowered his head, as if whatever it was that drove him to caution had faded. He made a low grumble, then walked on again as if nothing had happened. ‘Let’s go.’ He murmured.

An exchange of confused glances, they obliged.

‘Where’s the fight?’ a voice emerged out of nothingness.

‘Not today, Mingyu.’ Kai called out, and kept on walking, with an expression on his face that suggested his pride was bruised.

‘You’re boring now that you’re old.’

‘Hmph.’

Silence followed, and then the voice spoke again amidst the windy silence of the forest. ‘I won’t let you in until I get a fight.’

Kai stopped and released a loud sigh. ‘I’ll lose anyway.’

‘You might. But you got new friends.’ The sound of a heavy drop drew their attentions behind them. The tall figure of what looked like a man rose to his identity.  He was about as tall as Kris was, lean and with a stand that hinted his position of privilege. His mousy brown hair swayed gently in the serene atmosphere of the forest, and the drops of light squeezing between intricate shadows made his eyes, which glowed a deep crimson, less threatening than Krystal thought it would be.  Nevertheless, it was a foreign sight for her.

‘A witch-‘ Krystal was slightly taken aback by his momentary stare on her. ‘-and a wizard.’ He turned to Kris.

‘Krystal, Kris, and Lisa.’ He said to the newcomer. ‘This is Mingyu-‘ he sounded less than interested to host introductions. ‘-the vampire.’

‘A falcon.’ Mingyu identified Lisa as if she was wearing falcon feathers on her back. ‘Now that’s rare.’

‘You mentioned a fight?’

‘That can wait.’ He walked pass them with a cool stride, appearing light on the ground. Mingyu wore a sleeveless black torso and a neck scarf which covered his chin slightly. Behind his back was two identical swords strapped in a cross like manner. ‘What are you here for, and with such a big party?’

‘To get to Nox.’

‘The City of Lights. Someone sick?’ he threw a glance behind him, and upon seeing Kai’s face tighten, Mingyu comprehended with a nod.

They reached a large wall, taller even than that which surrounded Mount Rye. When Krystal looked up, she could not tell which was taller, the wall or the trees that shot up as if trying to stab the sky. The gate stood proud, dark and black as the only opening and channel between the forest and the inside.

The guards recognized Mingyu and the wolves, and upon identifying Krystal, Kris and Lisa, they granted permission for the entire party to enter. From the shade of the forest they emerged into the blinding light of day, the Sun casting it upon tall buildings that when viewed from the ground, seemed no different from the trees, although they were more sparsely positioned. The buildings were built out of dark-coloured bricks, blending in with the shade of the trees that surrounded them.

‘Wow,’ Krystal murmured under her breath. She had never seen a city so great and superior. All around her, she thought she was peering into the grand future.

The town was filled with the hustle and bustle of the nocturnal crowd crawling out of the sanctuary of their buildings as the sun began setting before them like a giant melting orb of light. To their left, Krystal stared at an incomplete building, still with its scaffold. A brawny, bald man pulled a levered rope down from the ground to raise a large open box of large bricks. She kept her amazement to herself.

Kyungsoo used to tell her stories about the vampire nation, and how they were a scary group of people to be enemies with for their enhanced physical capabilities including sharper senses, enhanced strength, speed and durability. ‘It was never possible to keep up watching two vampires get into a fight.’ He would say.

‘You don’t like you know this place.’ Mingyu said to the three new visitors.

‘They don’t.’ Kai answered.

‘You know, I’m amazed you magic lot still live up in that freezing hellhole.’

‘How did you-‘

‘I’m a vampire.’ He threw a glance over his shoulders over to Krystal with a slight smirk.

‘What does that mean?’ she mouthed to Lisa.

‘They smell better. Way better. We probably smell like snow.’

‘Pine trees and arctic vegetation to be exact.’ He said out loud, of course, hearing their whispers behind his back. ‘I heard they catch people like you and burn you up in flames in front of everyone.’

‘They do.’ Kris said grimly.

‘You ever get caught?’ Mingyu turned to him, his eyes flaring with keen curiosity rather than empathic concern.

‘I wouldn’t be here if I wasn’t.'

‘Welcome to San Guise, then.’

‘What’s a good place to stay the night?’ Kai asked.

‘The grand palace, of course.’ Mingyu bowed slightly as if an entertainer making an entrance. ‘Did you think I wouldn’t bring you to my father?’

‘But we came on short notice,’

‘As if you’ve never.’ Mingyu ran his hand through his hair, his voice signaling no more tolerance for Kai’s humbleness.

The ‘palace’ belonging to the Bloodline Sanctus donned no welcoming exterior. Instead, it stood proud as a fortress, standing at the center of the town. Krystal only realized that the ‘town’ was no more than a large fort, with a single main building overlooking all activities, and that the normal civilians lived further away from the gate, some within the gate and some outside of it.

San Guise was a large piece of land with one common leader. Unlike Mount Rye, they had no king, but different groups of vampires governed different areas of the nation. ‘We used to be pretty divided, and then father challenged them. All territory leaders.’ Mingyu talked as he led them into the Red House. ‘Now nobody owns any land. We’re all fighting for the same cause.’ He stopped in front of a room. Two vampire guards accompanied the party as security.

‘What cause?’

For a single moment, Kris thought he would mention the rumoured war, but he only smiled. ‘Become unbeatable.’ He knocked the door.

They were welcomed further by a woman, small and fair with black hair coiled neatly into a bun. She wore a gold bun clip and a smile brighter than what looked like the doomed future they could be heading into. She was wearing a loose-fitted white blouse and travelling pants and boots.

‘Mother.’ Mingyu kissed the woman’s cheeks sweetly.

‘Your friends?’ she looked at her son fondly.

‘I’d like to introduce them to you and father.’

‘Of course,’ she opened the door further, and Mingyu gestured for them to enter.

In the room was a man too, with black hair and a serious tightness to his face. The youthfulness that flourished on his face and the woman’s too seemed impossible, but the three of them looked as fitting as a painting.

Mingyu took his time presenting all of them to his father, asking more questions to Kai and Lisa than the rest. They held their stare longer on Kris and Krystal when Mount Rye was mentioned, but whatever concern they had was tucked deep beneath their tongues and they verbally stressed upon their hospitability, perhaps out of worry, for the two siblings. The father, Seungcheol, then instructed Mingyu to tend to ‘whatever needs they have’ and sent his son off with his twin sister, Mina, a mysteriously innocent looking girl who had been sitting inside the room all along, but somehow, went unnoticed throughout the entire conversation.

Mina was petite in comparison to her brother but with the same color palette of hair, eyes and clothes. In contrast, she wore a welcoming rather than arrogant smile and appeared to be the listening, quieter peer of Mingyu. Throughout the brief tour of the building lounge and guest floors, Mina’s voice sounded only rarely in between the conversations Mingyu started and continued with the visiting party; when she would introduce the rooms and what service they could request there.

‘We’re having late supper in an hour or two if you care to join.’ She said, gently enough, but without the initiative of sounding more persuasive and inviting.

‘You must.’ Mingyu insisted, as if they had something to present to the visitors as a welcoming performance.

The thought of Krystal imagined to be a blood-drinking session sent shrilling chills down Krystal’s spine, but she knew better than to be such a rash judge.

‘Do you mind telling us where we could purchase good weapons?’ Lisa asked.

‘Bows and arrows?’

‘What do you propose for someone who uses a cane?’

Mina inhaled and took a good look at Krystal. ‘You ought to go to Ryle’s Weapon Gallery. Just take the entrance you took and ask the guards there.’

‘Thank you.’

‘Pleasure.’ Mina bowed her head slightly and in her loose fitted black dress walked away with Mingyu behind her, and with him, Kai and his cousins.

Krystal looked at Lisa for an explanation, and the latter walked away, with the twins behind her.

‘You need a new fight toy.’

‘My cane’s fine.’

‘It is, but it’s time you get something lethal.’

‘But I don’t want to kill people.’

Lisa chuckled. ‘It’s not a matter of want. Out here, you kill or be killed.’

Krystal looked at Kris.

‘Consider it protective measures. People back at home already want to burn us. It’s not really foreign to think that is what the world is like.’

‘Alright.’ She relented.

In Nayeon’s private office, Kai, Mingyu and Mina had gathered.

‘I received a letter from your guardians in Terra Nymphet.’ Nayeon granted them privacy in her own office. ‘I can’t say I understand your situation fully.’

Kai told her, shyly and awkwardly, of the incident that had occurred between Krystal and him. He described precisely what happened, and how it had affected him since.

‘The moon?’ Mingyu was taken aback.

‘Every time the moon comes out and I stand under it, I lose control.’ He sighed as he sat in a chair, reminiscing the tragedy that befell him. He curled his fingers and flexed them, sighing over and over again.

‘Has it happened recently?’ Nayeon bent over a short table, pouring hot tea brewed with local fresh flowers she had picked up that morning from her herb garden.

‘Luckily, no. We have a plenty supply of sleeping needles just in case it does.’

‘So those other three aren’t your friends?’ Mingyu asked.

‘We’re bound to a deal. That’s it. Her brother’s there just to make sure we’re not trying to kill her, like I was the first time I went to that mountain.’ He took a sip of the hot drink, temporarily calmed and soothed.

‘And the falcon anamorph?’

‘You can consider her another guardian. She claims things at Mount Rye aren’t looking so bright.’

‘So the rumours are true.’ Mina spoke up, again sitting in a conspicuous place, her presence only noticed upon speaking.

‘What rumours?’

‘About a war? The Temple’s been quiet lately and we’ve had word that snow queen of theirs have been travelling back and forth and making long stays at El Divina and Leflores.’

‘Mingyu.’ Nayeon made a stern warning. Mingyu made a defensive gesture as a form of apology. ‘You will be staying the night here?’

‘Yes, ma’am.’ Kai nodded.

‘I sent a letter to Nox as soon as I got the letter from your family. They should be expecting you too,’

‘My utmost gratitude.’

‘It’s almost supper time.’ Mina reminded them. ‘I’ll call the rest.’

‘You’ll be alright. Your family was right to send you as soon as possible. I’ve arranged a dragon for you and your friends tomorrow morning. For now, we feast and then rest.’ Nayeon’s motherly hand pressed on Kai’s shoulder. Kai felt his heart heavy, like a cloth carrying water.

Nayeon had always been one of his channels to experiencing the affection of a mother, besides his aunts. All the grown up women in his life had a different character to the way they showed selfless care for him – strict, gentle, firm, tender. Nayeon’s hands had cleaned him up whenever he and Mingyu played in the dirt of the wilderness and came back with soil and dust on their clothes, healed him where he had cut himself accidentally and asked him often how he was doing. Though she never showed, Nayeon knew well of issues Kai used to face as a child, often exchanging letters with his aunt to inquire of his welfare.

‘You’re thinking about something.’ Mina detected her mother’s odd silence.

‘That girl he mentioned.’

‘A celestial breed, isn’t she?’

‘The holder of the Lunar emblem.’

‘You have any concerns about her powers? Could she be a Temple ally?’

‘Not that.’

‘What is it?’

‘Someone could be looking for her and her brother.’

‘Who?’

A frown curved Nayeon’s lips.

‘A mother.’